YCV50Blue Review

manufacturer: Traynor date: 09/03/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Traynor: YCV50Blue
The Custom Valve 50blue has been tweaked and tuned to be a much 'darker, Brit-sounding' guitar amplifier. Unlike the rest of the Custom Valve line, the YCV50blue is powered by EL34s in the power stage, giving it a little more 'attitude' than the 5881 (6L6) tubes used in the YCV40s and 80's.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.8
 8.7
 8.8
reviews (8) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
YCV50Blue Reviewed by: take_it_t, on july 13, 2006

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: This amp was brand new when I got it so I'm hoping it was made in 2006. This particular model was introduced back in 2005 as a part of the Yorkville Custom Valve series. It's an all tube 50 Watt 1x12 Combo witha Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. Unlike the otehr amps in the series this amp features EL34's, the EL34's combined with the V30 give this amp a very Marshall like tone. I play a lot of Rock/Pop Punk/Punk and it really suits my styles for this music well. It can get pretty heavy, however you may want to get an overdrive pedal like a Tube Screamer to kick the amp into metal territory. I have only had this amp for about a week now and so far I have only used it in my bedroom, I tend to play it on master volume 3 or 4, with the preamp volume at about half. It is pleanty loud and has a lot of head room, I tried cranking the amp of to 10, but just the hum started to vibrate my entire house and cause feedback. It has pleanty of power, and you probably won't need more than 50 Watts unless you plan to play arenas every night. I really wish the Reverb was adjustable for either channel, I like a lot of rever on my cleans and none on my distortions. However it's not a big deal since I don't do a lot of mid song switching anyways. I also wish that this amp was a 2X12, just so you could push a bit more air without needing the extension cab. It'd also be nice if the boost was adjustable and not set. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Fender Strat, with a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage 2 in the Bridge, and a Dimarzio Chopper in the Middle, with a Stock pickup in the neck. I find that the amp gets pretty noisy when you start turning the master volume up a lot, that you start getting some hum, so I put a noise gate to get rid of that. This amp can make a huge variety of sounds, from dry to sparkling cleans, bluesy overdrive to hard rock. The distortion is pretty brutal however it's not going to cut it for metal at lower volumes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp seems well built, pretty solid, I haven't had it long enough to know a whole lot more, and the tubes haven't broken down yet. I would use t on a gig without a backup. But that's mostly because I don't have a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is a good match for people Who are looking to play higher gain music and need a good combo. If you don't plan to use a lot of overdrive and distortion I would look elsewhere at something like a Blues Junior, or something like the YCV40. I have been playing guitar for 3 Years, and I also own a PODXT Live, Fender Standard Strat, Simon and Patrick Luther Acoustic-Electric, and a variety of recording gear, and P.A equipment. If it were lost or stolen, I probably would by the same thing again, or I might see if I can find something like a JCM900 2X12 Combo. I had compared this amp to the other Traynor Custom Valve series, and a few solid state amps which I had tried before deciding to go tube. I found that this amp was best for what I needed. // 9

YCV50Blue Reviewed by: nic_2090, on july 28, 2006

Features: This amp was made in 2005. It has 2 channels (clean and lead). It features a "brightness Switch" to boost the high signals on the clean channel to make it sparkle, and a gain boost for the lead channel. The controls are located on the top on the amp, via "chicken head" style knobs. It's 50 watts, all-tube, and comes with a footswitch to control channel switching and the gain boost. It also has a dandy effects loop, and an auto-biasing tube circuit. It also comes stock with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. // 10

Sound: I play this amp paired with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and occasionally a Boss SD1 Super Overdrive. It's a very versatile amplifier and produces top notch tones. The clean channel is very smooth and sparkly. It can produce a fair variety of tones, from glassy "Fender-esque" cleans, to mellow, warm cleans. The only downside to the clean channel is that it breaks up at an early volume stage (about 5). The lead channel without the gain boost engaged is suitable for anything from classic rock, to blues, to a more mild rock sound. With the gain boost engaged, the tone thickens up and becomes darker (along with getting a nice boost of gain). This makes it great for solos, or for playing harder rock music. The amp isn't very noisey at all, although it does have a bit of feedback when played through the lead channel at high volumes (especially with the gain boost engaged). However, this can be fixed with the help of a good noise gate. The only other downside is that this amp doesn't have enough distortion to play metal on it's own (although, when boosted by an overdrive pedal it can dish out some decent metal tones). I play a wide variety of styles, but mostly Queensryche, Poets of the Fall, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Alter Bridge, and the RHCP. This amp can deliver all the tones I need to play these styles of music (although, I need to boost my tone occassionally). // 9

Reliability & Durability: The amp is made flawlessly. The speaker is protected by a steel grate across the front of the amps body, which is covered by a strong mesh-like material. The cab body itself is made from a very durable playwood. The tubes are auto-biasing, and the whole preamp section unplugs and can be disconnected from the amp. I haven't gotten an oppertunity to gig with this amp yet, but it's a lot more reliable than amps that I've used to gig with in the past (and they never gave me any problems). // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 3 years now. I upgraded to this amp from a Fender Frontman 25R and the difference is huge. This amp is phenominal and really delivers a lot of great features and tone for it's relatively low price. I tried a lot of amps before purchasing this one, and I think that I can safely say it's the most versatile and best sounding tube amp in it's price range. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't replace it cause I'd most likely upgrade amps again. However, I'm very impressed by this amp, and recommend it to anyone Who's looking for a good amp in this price range Who doesn't have a large interest in playing metal. // 10

YCV50Blue Reviewed by: frazzledazzle, on april 25, 2006

Purchased from: Long and MacQuade

Features: This is a relatively new amp from Traynor. The Traynor YCV (Yorkville Custom Valve) series is predominantly based on 6L6 tubes. These appear in such amps as the YCV 40 and 80. This gives the amps a Fender-esque tonal quality. The YCV50Blue, however, sports EL-34s, changing the tone to a more Marshall-esque sound. It is a 1x12 50 watt all-tube combo amp. It comes with a Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. It has a blue tolex covering, with a black grill. It looks as if it were a mix between a Vintage and a modern amp. It has 2 channels, Clean and Dirty. The clean channel has a Brighten button, and the dirty channel has a lead boost button. The Brighten button is, unfortunately, not switchable fromt he included footswitch, althought the channels and lead boost are switchable. Each channel has a seperate volume knob and eq (high mid low). There is also a master volume and reverb. It has an fx-loop, and an optional extention cabinet jack. I play this mainly in my room, but I also use it for gigs and for recording. The 50 watts is more than enough for my musical needs. It is really really loud. I've never been able to turn it up to 10. // 9

Sound: I play a Fender Strat with a SD Lil '59 in the bridge position. I play ever style, mainly Blues and Hard rock/metal. For me, this amp handles both styles very well. For the blues, I use the dirty channel and have the gain around 4 with the mids boosted. For metal, I use the lead boost and the mids scooped. It could be more heavy if I got an overdrive, which I may get very soon. The clean channel is absolutly sparkelling, especially when the brighten switch is turned on. The amp has very minimal unwanted noisiness. With the two channels, this amp is incredibly versatile, which is what I was looking for when I bought it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is thing a tube amp, and all tube amps need to be treated "kindly." But this amp is durable. It has been bumped around and it still sounds like the day I bought it. It has a strong construction and a strong metal grill to protect the speaker. // 10

Overall Impression: For the price, the Traynor YCV50Blue is a great amp. I also own the matching Traynor YCXblue extention cab, which makes the amp sound even better. For me, I feel very fortunate that I found this amp. Its versatility is key. Clean and Dirty, she'll give you all you want. // 9

YCV50Blue Reviewed by: Nocomment, on september 18, 2006

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: This Amp is great. It has two channels, Lead and Clean, and a boost for each one. It's all tube with EL34's and 12AX7 distortion tubes. (I think) I've had it for about a year now and it did once fail on me, but it was under warranty. It features an effects loop, an output for a cabinet sort of thing but unfortunately no headphone jack. I kind of wanted one. But anyways, it weighs 45 lbs, it's got enough power for anything, unless you're playing huge ass shows but even then, it's 50 watts tube. // 8

Sound: I play with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and I usually play through a DigiTech RP300A. I like to play rock to metal, and I can always match it to what I'm playing. It get's sort of noisy but not too much. But really, it's a great buy because of it's massive distortion. Even without my effects the distortion is just crazy once you crank it up loud enough, because it always sounds better loud. The clean channel is also very nice I've had no problems with it distorting once I start playing louder. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunately, the amp did break down, it just plain didn't make any noise anymore. They said something about playing with the distortion too high but that's crazy. I got it fixed soon after and it was fine. I can depend on I would say and I would probably play without a backup, just because I'm too poor to afford one. // 7

Overall Impression: I like to play metal and this amp is perfect for it. When I say metal I mean Metallica and stuff like that. I've been playing for around 2 years, and I do own my first amp, but it's a pile of shit. If it were stolen, I might buy it, but it's quite expensive. I really love it's distortion and nothing about it is truely bad. I might just buy the extension speaker but not because I need it, just because it's cool. All in all it's a great amp, go buy one today! // 9

YCV50Blue Reviewed by: foofighter2007, on december 11, 2007

Purchased from: Music Factory

Features: This amp fetures a celection 30 fintage speaker that is sutable for many diffrent geners of music. I play mostly rock and jazz and the amp works very well for me. It has very limited amount of features though. Only 2 chanals (clean, distorted) and treb, bass, and mid for each. there also is a spring reverb. Its 50 watts are sutible power for most gigs indoors, has no problem compeating with loud drummers in a closed room (I've never turned mine up past 7). // 7

Sound: I play this amp with a PRS Tremonti SE with dual humpucking pickups and it produces an amazingly dark bassy sound but also can play the lighter classic rock stuff on the bridge pickups. In order to get good distortion you most always boost the distortion on the amps 1st channal. The distortion is not very strong at high notes but has a huge growl at the bass. A thing that I like a lot about this amp it's its ability to retain clean notes at high volumes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Becasue I paid a lot for this amp I am alway extremly carful with it but for a tube amp I feel that it is built like a rock. the amp must weigh over 50 lbs becasue it is quite heavy. Giving it great stability and a durabl impresstion. I would defedently gig with this amp w/o a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is great for the music that I play. I love the darker drop tunings like Alterbridge and many grunge bands. This amp is designed to go dark and is a pefect match for mahogany bodied guitars. I plan of buying an effect stataion to make up for the lack of fetures but for a cost efective tube amp this is one of the best. // 9

YCV50Blue Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on january 29, 2009

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: This is a really good amp. It's all a 50w all tube amp, with 2 tubes I can see. It has a 1x12" Celestion Speaker, 2 channels (clean, dirty, an effects loop and reverb. This amp is really versitile, especially when you have a distortion pedal. The amp's dirty channel isn't so good for metal, but it's got a crunch that's good for some hard rock. I play mostly stuff like Black Sabbath, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, and I think it covers them all pretty well (with my Line-6 Uber Metal). This amp is really loud. I still haven't gigged with it, but I've used it at band practice a lot of times. If I want to totally dominate the air waves at practice, I only have to turn it up to 5, and can play balanced with the other instruments aroun 4. I've heard this will pretty much cover all indoor gigs that aren't stadiums, and I can believe that. The only thing this is missing is a headphone jack, and I'm not even sure I'd use that. // 8

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone G-400 with this, and I really like how it sounds. I also use my Line-6 Uber Metal and Echo Park, and I love the distortion through this tube amp! I've never had any noise problems with this amp, but then again, my Uber Metal has a noise gate, and I've never cranked the amp on the dirty channel. There's really not much hum at all, and it sounds good at most volumes. Like I said before, the built-in distortion isn't good for metal (at the volumes I play at, usually 2-5 volume), but I haven't turned it up all the way yet. Just throw a distortion pedal on top of the clean channel and you'll be good for metal. The clean channel on mine is a bit hard to describe, but it's got the slightest crunch to it. This might be because I bought used and the tubes aren't new, I'm not sure. I like how it sounds nevertheless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had this amp for a month now, and it seems built to last. The only thing I'm conserned with is when it's in the trunk of my car/van and we hit a lot of bumps, I can hear the tubes rattling. The amp's actually fallen over in the van before, but nothing was damaged. It has an open back, with no covering, so you'll have to be careful not to damage the speaker somehow. The front is covered with a metal grate, so the front's well protected. Nothing's ever happened to this amp, and it seems like it's going to stay that way. I would definately gig without a back-up since I don't have a back-up, but I doubt this will fail me. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm mostly a metal head, and don't play too many clean tones, but when I use cleans, I love how it sounds with some chorus on it. One thing that I don't like about this, is that when I use my Boss RC-2 Loop Station, it doesn't handle the drums beats very well, so I use my bass amp for that. My other pedals (Line-6 UberMetal and Echo Park) sound amazing on all settings. If this amp was stolen, it would definately be my first choice again, mainly because it's the best I can afford in the price range. There's really nothing I hate about this amp at all, it's just a bit annoying to let the tubes warm up and cool down before turning it on/off. I compared this amp to the Traynor YCV40, which was another good amp, but I went for the extra power so I got this one. It also came with a footswitch for channel changing, but I don't use that since I have a distortion pedal. All in all, a really good amp I expect to have for a long time. // 10

YCV50Blue Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 17, 2011

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: The Arts

Features: Built around 2006. Purchased used. 50 watt 1x12 combo with two channels, pedal, celestion 30, effects loop and spring reverb. 2 el34s and 3 12ax7s. Three channels, clean, gain, od - solid foot switch. I like my amps with basic controls and seprate eq for each channel. // 9

Sound: My guitars include an ebmm axis, Ibanez pretiege, strat, gretsch. The sound out of this amp is killer. Clean is very powerful and clear. The gain channel is great, marshallish and od is thick and caries well. Its much fuller sounding and louder than I expected. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its heavy and built like a tank. You can tell they used quality components when you plug in cables they seat firmly. The build quality is top notch. I would depend on it for a gig... Why I bought it as an alternative to my 6505 2x12 in smaller venues. Plywood constructions, you can tell its well made. // 9

Overall Impression: Great amp! I play rock, metal, rock a billy, blues etc... This amp does it all well. I've been play on and off for 20 years and have a variety of amps. Peavey 6505, Marshall 50, vox... This amps is my second favorite amp out the bunch. I plan to gig with it and practice as well. // 9

YCV50Blue Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Gallery

Features: 50 Watts RMS. 2 EL34 output tubes and only 2 preamp tubes. The distortion channel is probably getting some help from clipping diodes because you would not get that much gain from just 2 preamp tubes. Reverb and Vintage 30 Celestion. There is also a boost volume for the distortion channel. // 8

Sound: I play blues, funk, old school soul, light jazz, classic rock. I will use most any guitar with any type of decent pickups. I think most guitarist put entirely too much credit and pressure on the guitar alone to sound good thru an amp. More on this subject later. I found the distortion channel to be far more pleasing than the clean channel. Clean channel for a 50 watt amp had very little clean headroom. Even after retubing with so called high end tubes I didn't see much improvement. I could barely turn it up to 4 before it would break up and not in a musical way. This amp also is not as loud as you might think for a 50 watt TUBE AMP. I was told by a very accomplished amp tech that this particular tube amp model was "biased" cold. For those of you that do not know what that term means, look it up. You will be REWARDED with more knowledge about tube amps. Reverb was on the low end of Average. 9 for the distortion channel and 6 for the clean channel. See overall Rating below that would also include the sound and intensity of the reverb and the lack of clean headroom. distortion channel helps the rating. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I know this sounds a bit routine but I had a power output tube go out in the first two weeks of owning this amp. Luckily this happened at home at low volume and not on a Gig. I do carry spare tubes but I doubt most anyone would expect that to happen in the first two weeks. Store I bought this from kind of DID NOT take case of this even though the TUBES had a warranty of 90 days. NOTE: good music stores will take care of most warranty claims because they know what a pain in the a-s it is to deal with the actual manufacturer. After all, you Bought it from the Store and not direct from the manufacturer. The low rating is more because of p-ss poor service from music store. // 5

Overall Impression: Been playing for over 40 years. The tonality from this amp was decent overall. I have used cheap guitars thru very good high quality amps and have gotten very good compliments on how good the sound was. "Oh, I see you are using Brand X Guitar tonight but you still sound good". That's because higher quality or more musical designed amps regardless if it is solid state, hybrid, or all tube will make most any Guitar sound better. Overall an unfortunately this amp didn't fall into that category. You can find good quality and musical sounding amps without spending your life savings such as Carvin and Blackstar to name a few. The guitar to me is just fine tunning your sound. The amp is the primary foundation of your sound. 25 percent guitar - 75 percent amp. Before I sold this amp I started thinking of this amp as a high dollar bed room amp. I definitely would not buy this amp again. Some times you just don't know until you get out to the live venues where it counts! // 5

More Traynor reviews rating category latest review
+ YCS100H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2013