YVC80Q 410 Combo Review

9.8
 8.2
reviews (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
YVC80Q 410 Combo Reviewed by: zappp, on october 22, 2003

Features: This is one nast amp! I play alt. rock, some heavy stuff, and some clean stuff and this amp fills my needs every time. Its got one input, 2 channels; clean and lead, seperate EQ for both channels, 80 watts all tube power, series and parallel effects loops, external speaker out, headphone out, xlr out with Dynasound amp emulation, input and output volume on the effects loop, speaker defeat switch for silent practicing, accutronincs long reverb and probably some stuff that I'm missing... // 10

Sound: I play a Schecter C1 Classic with Seymour Duncan pickups and this amp sounds amazing with this guitar. The lead channel is beautifully full of nasty amounts of gain and te clean channel just sparkles. This amp is loud! I played with my band at below 4 level on both channels and on the master volume and my bass player told me to lower the volume cause it was too loud. Loudness was what I wanted considering what I play. At first, I thought that the amp having DC filament power supplies on the preamp tubes wasnt going to be as quiet as I thought, but this amp doesnt even make a hint of noise or hum. The accutronics long reverb is a very nice part of the amp. The reverb is just awesome. Now, I can use my Holy Grails flerb setting without losing reverb. The clean channel is awesome. Set it right and it can be loud without overdriving. My C1 classics pickups are pretty gainish so if I raise the guitars volume knob all the way up, the clean will overdrive but thats not a problem for me. Sweet Distortion and overdrive since I changed the tubes from all Sovtec's to a combination of REAL Svetlana power tubes, and a combination of Sovtec and EH preamps. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is solid. The front grille ist just silver cloth, it's silver cloth over a steel grille to protect the speakers and the plywood cab is thick and sturdy. I would gig without a backup but of coarse would always bring spare tubes with me. Also, with Traynor's unlimited warranty, I could take a hammer fo this thing and for two years from the purchase date, they'll fix it without a cost to me. For ten years, they'll fix problems on the cabinet. I dont expect this thing to break down anytime soon. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 8 years and this amp was just what I've been looking for. My guitar and pedals sound awesome thru this thing. If it were stolen, I'd probably buy two more. I love everything about it except maybe that the pots are really easy to move. If you blow hard enough on them they'll move, but thats not much of a problem. For the price, power, features and overall look, It beat out all my other choices for a combo amp. I do wish it had wheels. Not cause its 70 lbs are heavy but because its tall and a little difficult to carry because of that. If your looking for a nice tube amp that has plenty of gain, clean, and with 80 watts of tube power that you can use at a concert and at bedroom volume levels, this amp is the one. In fact, I'll recomend any Traynor amp cause if the biggest one is this good, then the smaller one must be just as good and reliable. // 10

YVC80Q 410 Combo Reviewed by: WannabeShredder, on august 17, 2007

Purchased from: West Seneca Music Center

Features: This tube amp is probably the cream of the crop when it comes to features. Some people may look at it and say "Well it's only got 2 channels, I need x amount for this and x amount for that." However, you can juice so many sounds out of the amp that it's great for any style of music. The clean channel has two switches on it, for Brightness and the Expander, while the Dirty channel has two switches for boost and scoop. I use this amp mainly for bedroom practice, but bought it with gigging in mind. With master volume at 2, it is loud enough to rattle the house. // 9

Sound: I use a Razorback with Dimebag's configuaration ('59 and Dimebucker) and a Strat with Noiseless single coils. On clean with the '59, it sounds warm and full, and the dimebucker adds a little bit of treble to break up the tone. The single coils give you the traditional quack that so many love. The expander Switch adds some bass to the tone, while preventing breakup. The expander adds some treble glass and makes it sound almost acoustic. On distortion without the boost it's perfectly suited to classic/hard rock. The distortion is crunchy, but not exactely what you would consider modern. However, with the boost, you can lay down bone crushing riffs and screaming leads. Doesn't seem to have enough gain to pick up pinch harmonics very well, but that just might be my technique. With the neck pickup, you can get a fat lead sound perfect for solos, and the bridge pickup gives you a brutle crunch suited for fast palm muted riffs. Just a note of warning: do not use the scoop switch. Unless you like a muddy Nu-metal sound, it's better to leave it untouched. That doesn't stop me from giving this a 10 on sound though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't really moved this amp around for gigging and such, but just from carting it up and down stairs in my house, it seems tough. I doubt it will have a problem standing up to the road. The one thing that annoys me is a high pitched squeal when the gain and treble are both cranked. It's happened in every model of this type that I played. Maybe it's just a manufacturing defect, or another problem, but I'm gonna take it to the shop where I bought it and see if they can't root around in there and fix the problem. Other than that, it's great. // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is perfect for any style of music. Versatility, great tone, and durability similar to that of tank armor. I'd reccomend it to anyone Who needs a good tube amp on a low budget. If it was stolen, I'd definitely buy it again, but not after bludgeoning the thief Who took it. Great price, great amp, you can't go wrong. // 10

More Traynor reviews rating category latest review
+ YCS100H 9.2 Guitar Amplifiers 08/19/2013