TD-752 Review

9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
TD-752 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2009

Purchased from: Local Electronics Shop

Features: The Tube Driver TD-752 is a two channel 100 watt amp with spring reverb. It has an effect send/receive and a footswitch for switching between the channels and turning on/off the reverb. It also has a line out and a second speaker output to Drive an external cabinet. The clean channel is all solid state, and the overdrive channel has a 12ax7 preamp. It also has a Switch (not footswitchable) to combine the clean and overdrive channels. The Tube-Works company is now owned by Genz Benz, and I contacted them for some extra information on it and this is what they told me: This amp was made in denver in the 90's and designed by BK Butler (of the tube driver pedal Fame). The speaker is rated for 75 watts and was custom made for Tube Driver by Eminence. Basically, It has all the features you can get in an amp that doesn't model. // 9

Sound: It's a fairly small amp so it works great in my apartment, but this amp aslo gets loud. I've played with a band and never had to turn it past 1 o'clock. Even at high volumes, the clean channel retains it's clarity. The clean channel has the standard high/mid/low eq control, but I leave them at 12 and just use an eq pedal. The Tube channel, I believe, has the same (or almost the same) circuitry of the Tube Driver pedal. It has gain and volume knobs as well as a three band eq. At high gains, this amp can get pretty heavy, a "hit the lights" tone. At medium gains you can get good led zeppelin and at lower gains you can get a bluesy sound. I've never found a good use for the channel mix tone, maybe if you miked it for recording. The amp has very low noise, it's quieter than my friends new Behringer GMX212. The only complaint I have is that the reverb is noisy. Maybe a noise gate in the effects loop would solve this, or maybe it just needs a new reverb tank. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I don't see any reason anyone would say it isn't a durable amp. Knobs are all high quality, jacks are high quality. I would use it without a backup. I had the tube replaced a while back and that improved the tone a little. I asked Genz-Benz for info on the amp, and they were very nice and helpful, so if anything every happened, I'm pretty sure they would be more than willing to help. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 5 years and play things from blues to psychedelic rock to heavy metal, and because the clean channel is so clean, if you have the pedals, this amp can do it all. I play primarily with a Schecter C1-Classic, and it sounds beautiful through this amp. If this amp was stolen or lost, I would be quite upset, but I don't know how I'd find another one. But if I did, I'd jump at it. // 10

Comments