AC100CPH Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 05/05/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AC100CPH
Over the past several gigs, I've really gotten comfortable using this amp. I play Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and a little Modern Metal, this amp is versatile enough to cover it all. It's a very impressive sounding amp.
 8.9
 9.5
 8.2
review (1) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
AC100CPH Reviewed by: scottb630, on may 05, 2011

Purchased from: Mc Neil Music

Features: A 2009 Vox AC100CPH the 'H' mean Head. This was a very limited production model (2007-2009) and not a "big hit" in the market. The initial cost on these was a bit high for what you got. It wasn't until they stopped making them, and the prices went down that folks started to discover what these little gems had to offer. - 2 Channels (plus). - Channel 1 = Clean with Volume, Reverb, Tone Cut, Bass, Middle, Treble, Gain controls - Channel 2 = Volume, Reverb, Presence, Bass, Middle, Treble a Bright Switch and a "Fat" switch. - A Master Volume is the master for both channels. - The rear of the head has an effects loop and 8/16 ohm Switch for the speaker cabinet. I wish the "Fat" Switch was a foot-switchable setting (I'm working with my amp tech to get that). - Four x EL34 (6CA7's) and Four x12AX7's. // 9

Sound: I'm using a PRS Tremonti or a Les Paul through this amp. I find the Clean Channel can stay "pretty clean" at higher volumes, which is better with the 100 watt head vs. the 50 watt version. However a little gain added will give you that bluesy tone, clean if picked gently but breaks up if you really bite into a note. The second channel just blows me away. I can get a really nice southern rock crunch or classic rock overdrive. If I flip that fat Switch (watch out for the volume jump) and I get so much bottom chunk any metal guy would drool (amazing for drop tuning). Add the bright Switch to that and you get a nice, cut through the mix tone and don't lose the chunk. I can get the classic Vox tones, but I find that I'm often wooed by the Classic rock sounds of this amp. I haven't had the gain knob of Channel 2 past 10-O'clock yet. It has plenty more gain if you'd ever want that much but it's useable all below 12:00. All the tone controls have a wide range of sweep making them more useable and effective than most other amps I've played. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this amp for about a year, but I've had NO issues with it at all. It's easy to bias (remove a 2 screw cover on the back). The stock "Ruby" power tubes and "Tung Sol" 12AX7's are a great match for this amp. The POTs are very useable & smooth, the switches are solid. The jacks aren't my favorite (I prefer Switchcrafts), but work well enough. // 9

Overall Impression: Over the past several gigs, I've really gotten comfortable using this amp. I play Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz and a little Modern Metal, this amp is versatile enough to cover it all. I've been playing Guitar for 39 years (#*&@!) and have owned a lot of gear. I really like this amp a lot and wish it was still produced. It's a very impressive sounding amp. I run it through a pair of Vintage 30's in a closed back / slant cabinet. My only dislike: that "Fat" Switch should be on a footswitch (and a volume taper for it). The clean IS clean, but wish I could bring the gain up just a little more before break up. Still plenty loud enough for any gig (indoors or outdoors). For a solo, I use the effects loop (for Delay and Chorus) and I have a clean boost that gives me a db boost for leads. If this was lost or stolen, yeah, I'd consider buying another one, if I could find one. I hope the prices stay reasonable on these, allowing people without large budgets to own a boutique-ish sounding amp. I gig with this amp, I practice with it and it's probably one of my favorite sounding amps right now. I do own a a Marshall JCM 900 and a few Mesa Boogies and Fenders as well. All have their own unique sound(s). // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ StompLab IG 9 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014