AC15CC1 Review

8.4
reviews (7) 19 comments vote for this gear:
AC15CC1 Reviewed by: shakysam, on june 04, 2007

Purchased from: www.Giggear.co.uk

Features: The AC15CC1 Custom Classic from Vox needs no fancy introductions! Born from a classic design and with a heritage dating back to 1958, it maintains and evolves Vox's pedigree in thoroughbred tone. Features 15 watts of power, 12" VOX/Wharfedale Custom speaker and much more! This amp's features may seem limited at first, but I've found that they prove suitable for most styles of music, with the exception of metal and heavy rock, which one would require a pedal for. The reverb is a little unorthodox, but works well at low levels, and the tremolo is excellent; capable of giving my guitar tone a spooky shimmer when set to low speed and mid-depth. The bass and treble controls are also very effective. Don't be fooled by the 15 Watts power rating; I've played to an indoor crowd of about 200 people with it and it didn't quite need to be fully cranked. At home the master volume circuit means that I can have plenty of distortion (plenty for this amp, at least) without breaking the windows. It is by far the loudest 15 Watt combo amp that I have ever encountered. // 9

Sound: Vox excels at making amps with fat, deep clean tone and the new AC15 CC1 is no exception. Adjusting the bass and treble controls can also achieve a very respectable Fender-style clean tone. Roll up the volume control and this amp suddenly provides plenty of growl for blues, Indie and The Clash-esque punk. As mentioned earlier, heavier styles will require a pedal. As with all good tube amps, pick attack and tone and volume controls on the guitar have a strong effect on the sound, giving even more scope for tonal variety. When combined with a good guitar, this amp is capable of tonal nirvana across the majority of musical genres. I use this amp with a Fender American Telecaster and a Crafter Constantine (roughly equating to an Epiphone Les Paul Studio). With the fully-shielded Fender this amp is surprisingly quiet, however the Crafter reveals that this amp generates a lot of noise with only a semi-shielded guitar plugged into it. In my opinion, it's worth going to the effort of shielding your guitar for this amp; call it a labour of love. // 10

Reliability & Durability: User reviews on other websites complain of reliability issues relating to an incorrectly-rated fuse, but I can only assume that Vox have solved this problem for 2007, as I have cranked my amp close to the limit for gigs that would usually swamp a 15 Watt amp and it has performed admirably. This amp has also been bumped around a bit, but again I cannot fault it's build quality. The construction on the outside appears to be just as solid, even if all the hardware is plastic (jacks, knobs, corner protectors etc). Being a tube amp, it will need servicing eventually but so far I have suffered no reliability issues what'soever. // 10

Overall Impression: I play British Indie, punk, ska and some generic rock music with this amp and it handles them all brilliantly. I've been playing for about 4 years and I previously owned a Marshall MG100DFX amp. Believe me, the Vox absolutely destroys it in every way.I bought this amp after comparing it directly to a Fender Blues Junior. With my American Telecaster, the Blues Junior was better than the Vox in only one area; the trademark 'Fender clean' sound. In every other respect, the Vox sounded much deeper and more pronounced; much more like I'd imagined 400 of amplifier to sound. For more or less the same asking price, I had to choose the Vox. Ok, so the Vox AC15 CC1 does not have multiple channels, a plethora of effects or indeed the most brutal distortion. But if it did, it wouldn't be a loud bare-bones tube amp that's all about pure tone, and that is by far what Vox do best. What this amp does provide is deep, powerful tone at any volume and genuine tube distortion when needed. On top of all that it looks like it dropped right out of the '50s and it smells like a proper tube amp should too. Glorious. // 10

AC15CC1 Reviewed by: init24, on january 30, 2008

Features: This is a basic 112 single channel Vintage voiced British amp. The lack of a second channel and an effects loop is annoying, but it is a small 15w combo, so not much should be expected. There is tremolo and reverb, both of which are foot switchable via a two button foot Switch. Being this amp is only 15w, it is more of a bedroom amp (what I use it for) and it breaks up at lower volumes, which makes it ideal. // 7

Sound: I use a SG and a LP copy, both with HBs and they sound orgasmic. It actually sounds better with single coils. I know this because I tried it out in GC with HB and SC guitars, all in the same price range, and the SC guitars sounded the best. The amp only gives a general tube amp buzz, nothing more. The amp cannot get that brutal distortion sound very well and I wouldn't recommend it for metal (which is good, because I don't play any metal). It is well suited for 60s and 70s rock, but nothing that is too heavy on the distortion. The amp breaks up easy, so the sound is almost always distorted at high levels. Both the tremolo and reverb sound excellent and complement the sound of the amp nicely. The tremolo isn't very potent, but it can easily get a great Gimme Shelter tone. The reverb isn't as magical as Fender reverb, but it is still very usable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never given me any problems and I doubt it will in the future as it seems to be solid. I wouldn't gig without backup ever regardless or the reliability, because you never know what could go wrong, but I get the impression from this amp that if I had to gig without a backup I could. // 10

Overall Impression: This suits my style perfectly, because I typically play '60s-'70s rock and it gets that tone with ease. I've only been playing a few years, but I've played plenty of amps and this one in a winner. I knew everything when I bought, but nothing discouraged me, because of the amazing tone. My only complaint is that it is made in China. My favorite feature would be the tremolo, but the top boost is a close second. I've played countless other amps, even others of the same model (there could be better quality control on these amps), but it is still pretty good. For the money this is an amazing sounding low wattage tube amp. If it was stolen I would save up and buy either a standard AC30 or the alnico blues version of the AC15. // 9

AC15CC1 Reviewed by: Mitchell?, on december 15, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The Vox AC15 Custom Classic (Wharfedale speaker) is a wonderful sounding amp, with straight-forward features, and just plain good tone. It's a single channel valve/tube amp, with master volume, which means you have to crack the 'Top Boost' channel volume for your preamp Drive. It has reverb and tremolo, which has depth and speed controls. Both are footswitchable with an included footswitch, which is solidly built. I use this amp for practices, and small gigs, where it has enough power. It is just 15 watts, so don't expect it to fill an arena, but it is tube, so it can get pretty friggin' loud. // 8

Sound: I use this with a PRS Custom Semi-Hollowbody (2 humbuckers, mahogany body) and it sounds great. The cleans are full and warm, with perfect bass response, and beautiful chime on the high-end. The amp is british-voiced, so the Drive is great for those Led Zep tones, and does great for Vintage stuff. You need to crank it for more gain, or a clean boost or OD for higher gain stuff. It suits my style fine, which is blues, rock, Indie and stuff. I play a lot of different things actually, but the Vox can keep up. I use a Little Big Muff on it for some really get tones, works great for higher gain stuff. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank, albeit a lot classier. It's nearly 60 pounds, but it looks like I could throw it out of my window and it would still work (I'm on the 3rd floor.) It's never broken down on me, but I don't exactly neglect it, or thrash it. I would gig with it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this amp is that the amp just kills it. It's got absolutely charming cleans, and the Drive is smooth. It's great for my style, and I'm completely happy with it. I compared it to a Fender Blues Jr., which I liked, but the Vox was just better for me. If this was stolen, I'd track down the kid and beat HIM. Then buy another for the giggles. // 9

AC15CC1 Reviewed by: Archer18, on january 27, 2009

Purchased from: PMT

Features: 15w all-tube amp, has one channel with reverb and tremolo. Top boost which has Bass, Treble and Volume(gain). It has a External speaker input switchable between 8ohm and 16ohms. Speaker - Alnico Blue. It has standby Switch which is a good feature and it usually comes with a footswitch to turn the reverb/tremolo on and off but I didn't get one because I got my secondhand. // 7

Sound: I use a Epiphone Les Paul Classic and an Epiphone SG G400. This amps sound great through my les paul but it doesn't sound all that through my SG. I play hard rock and it does it great but for when I want to play some Maiden, Judas Priest I will need an OD pedal. Like every tube amp when you have the master volume low and the gain high the amp sounds fizzy but when you crank it it really opens up and sounds sweet. It is a trebley amp so I just roll the tone knob down on my guitar. The cleans on this amp are just awesome. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Mine hasn't broken down yet but from other peoples experience these amps are apparenlty not very reliable. I haven't gigged with it yet but soon will do. All the gigs I have played so far have been with other bands so If my amp fails I can always use theirs but I think I will gig a backup as it's to much trouble carrying around two amps and the ac15 weighs a tonne. // 7

Overall Impression: I play hard rock this is great for that as you can get just the right amount. The only problem with this amp is the amount of treble in this amp but hopefully I will be changing the tubes because I bought it secondhand so that might sort the problem out. I was comparing this to the Peavey classic 50 and the AC15 just sounded better. It had a better hard rock sound and nicer cleans than the Peavey. // 9

AC15CC1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2010

Purchased from: Can't remember

Features: I am a 19 year old, been playing for almost 5 years. I bought the amp in 2008, 15 watt tube amp with a brilliant trem system on it, and a very basic cheap sounding reverb. Unfortunately in a 3 piece band I use reverb and never use trem! I use the amp for gigging in pritty standard sized pubs & clubs in liverpool and on a clean sound it is not even nearly loud enough so I have to link it up to a small 60 watt 2x12 portable marshal PA.. Becomes a pain carrying two amps round with me! I give it a 7 Because I do like the amp but if I was going to spend 450 on an amp again it wouldn't be this one. // 7

Sound: The AC15CC1 is a thin sounding amp. I have used a few different guitars with it, recently a Burns red special, single coils but use two at a time: Using a clean tone with the master voll right up and the top boost on about 9 olcock with the EQ's set with bass on about 4 oclock and the trebble set on about 9 it is still a bright and actualy really nice tone, but with the bass controll so high and to get such a bright sound is strange! The red special is a thick sounding guitar as it is which makes it all the stranger, however the clean tone I get is nice so I can't complain really. The Overdrive however isnt good! This is with the master lowerd down a bit and the top boost turned right up, it just seems to be either realy mucky or realy thin with nothing inbetween, however I use an Ibanez tube screamer for an overdrive tone ontop of the clean tone I spoke about earlier which sounds pritty good, and another tube overdrive pedal ontop of that for a lead sound which does me fine! Ill give it a 7 again tone wise because it has a lovely clean tone when set right, but I've had no joy with the OD... might just be somthing I've been doing wrong but I've tried many different guitars and settings and had no joy with it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problems with it, seems really well made. // 10

Overall Impression: I play in two different bands, one of which "The Dockers" is a clasic rock/ rock and roll band that plays stuff such as Queen, Bad Company, The Beatles, Hendrix, T Rex, The Stones ETC. www.youtube.com/thedockers1 (Give us a listen haha) the other band does slightly different stuff such as crosby stills and nash, doubie brothers, rodger glover (love is all) etc. Id say it suits these styles of music ok if you have a decent tube overdrive pedal to replace the amps own Drive but to be honest I wouldn't reccomend buying it, there are loads of better amps you can get for the price in my opinion. The sound just isnt anywhere near BIG enough! Its a nice tone but I have to carry another amp the same size around that it links up to and even that isnt loud enough somtimes! I do like the amp but if I could swap it for somthing else in the same price range I would! I Will give it a 7 overall, its a good amp but personaly I don't think its quite good enough or loud enough! P.s. I will rate my spelling through out this review a 0! // 7

AC15CC1 Reviewed by: GuitarGeekAGard, on may 24, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: - Power Output: 15 Watts RMS into an 8 or 16 ohm loudspeaker load. - Internal speaker: 16 ohm, 12", 30 Watt VOX/Wharfedale Custom - model AC15CC - Valve/tube complement: 2 x EL84/6BQ5 & 2 x 12AX7/ECC83. - Rectifier: silicon rectifier with passive SAG circuit. - Mains input: preset 100V or 120V or 230V or 240 V ~ 50 or 60 Hz depending on country of sale. Please see Rating Plate on rear of amplifier for exact specification. - Dimensions: AC15CC1 (WxDxH) 732mm (28.82") x 261.9mm (10.31") x 440mm (17.32") - Weight: AC15CC1 21.6Kgs (47.62lbs) Comes with a fotswitch to turn on tremolo and reverb effects no distortion I'm afraid. I gig with this amp and although I opnly play small venues it has plenty of power for the job. It also has no fx loop. // 9

Sound: I play a wide variety of music mainly stuff like Guns N Roses, Nirvana, Iron Maiden, Pixies and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Although it has no fx loop or distortion channel I bought this guitar for that warm tube sound which you can't really get from the solid state amps. I use this with a Boss ME-70 and a Gretsch Pro Jet and to be honest the sound kicks ass, you can get any sound you want with it even the modern high gain metal stuff. I would probably say that there's no genre of music this amp can't handle just as long as you've got the correct settings for the sound you want. // 10

Reliability & Durability: My amp has never broken down on me and I don't play with a backup I'd say because of what I've heard about other AC15's that this model is about 90% reliable to gig without a backup.I have never had the amp serviced and probly won't need to for some time. I'm basically trying to fill up some more charcters so I can finish the review because all I need to say is that its about 90% reliable and you shouldn't worry about it breaking down if you get one really. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I think this is a top amp and definatly worth the money or though I'm not sure about 500 qyid for one though because I think you could get better. But as soon as I first played one I knew this was the amp for me and its suited me well know for well over a year and is very good. If it were stolen depending on the price I would probably buy a new one but if I had 500 I would go for a more powerful tube amp. The warm tube sound has to be thie highlight of this amp its just awesome. Another thing I love about this amp is that its so basic and easy to use. The only thing that I wish it had was a distortion channel but I can't really gripe at the price I bought it ( 285). // 10

AC15CC1 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2012

Features: One channel all tube combo amplifier. Lovely reverb and tremolo, 3 band EQ, that's it and that's basically all you might need to rock. 15W, loud enough for average blues or classic rock band. Feature which I would appreciate is a power soak - it is still little too loud to play in an apartment where neighbors are really close. Mine's produced in China around 2007. // 8

Sound: I play blues, classic rock. I feed it through DigiTech RP500 multieffect, guitar is a copy of Brian May's Red Special with three singles with all possible combinations - usually play them in pairs with revered polarity, just as humbuckers. Vox is usually set to clean sound which gets a bit crunchy if I hit the string a little harder. I need to underline that the clean sound is awesome... Compared to other amps it is really something different. For high gain sound I prefer using it with some pedal, overdriven sound of the Vox itself is not quite my cup of tea... Anyway, it is one channel and if you want to play clean parts as well as distorted ones, you need a pedal to switch. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Now this is why I decided to write this review. Reliability is a HUGE weak point of this amp. I know those children in China do their best, but I had mine three times in warranty repair, and when it was after warranty period I had it checked by a technician, who had to go through all circuitry to fix all the weak points. Also the tubes were at higher voltage than they should be according to tube specs, so I needed to have an additional resistor installed to lower the voltage. Also mechanically, handle is fixed by four short screws and it fell off the other day when I was about to lift the amp. Need to give it just a 1 because it plays on good days. Really sorry. // 1

Overall Impression: I am changing it at the moment for Orange Double Terror - I like the British Vintage tone, but I want something more reliable and easier to carry. Overall, pros: - great clean sound Cons: - I personally find it heavy and I always suffer when I need to carry it even to the car - poor reliability, electrically as well as mechanically

// 5

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ DA5 8 Guitar Amplifiers 10/24/2014