AC15VR Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 08/31/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AC15VR
This amp is apart of the recent Valve reactor series of amps that came out back in 2010. I love the wide range Vox tones it has on it aswell as its dynamics and sensitivity.
 Features: 7.5
 7.1
 8.3
 5.9
reviews (2) pictures (5) 6 comments vote for this gear:
AC15VR Reviewed by: TheFamousCow, on may 10, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This amp is apart of the recent Valve reactor series of amps that came out back in 2010. It features Vox's valve reactor technology that is also featured in the Valvetronix range of amps but this time round they have incooperated into a fully analogue circuit. It has 2 channels, the Normal channel and Overdrive channel with individual volumes. Both channels do share the same EQ tho which consists of treble and bass and has a global volume and reverb control. On top of all that you also get the classic Vox looks of the original AC15. // 7

Sound: I'm playing this with my Vintage VRS100 which has humbuckers in. Starting with the normal channel and the first thing you notice is the amps strong response to your picking style and pick up position. The normal channel is based on the original AC15 as the channels volume acts gain knob as well which gives you a variety of classic Vox tones. With the normal below 9 o'clock the amp sounds rather crisp and has the sixties jangle to it. Rolling up to about 11 o'clock adds slight overdrive to it which sounds completely natural add reverb to it the notes ring out and sustain nicely. Around 3 o'clock the amp sounds like a cranked tube amp with plenty of Drive and bite for some classic pop & rock aswell as Indie bands like The Vaccines. Moving onto the overdrive channel which this time round features a gain control and 2 types of voicings. OD1 is very similar to the normal channel cranked up but is very saturated and bassier making it great for chunky rocky rhythm playings associated with blues. The channels volume also adds slight more gain ontop as you crank it pushing into an AC/DC and Led Zeppelin sort of crunch sound. OD2 is designed to be more modern sounding and cuts of the saturation and bass of OD1 adding alot more gain to the sound. Fairly decent sound for playing many styles of rock and some 70's metal such as Black Sabbath and Ghost. The sound gets a bit to much fizzy though and wouldn't really appeal to modern metal bands as it isn't saturated or tight enough, in order for it to that Vox should of just increased the gain on OD1. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp looks very dependable and is built very strongly and is sturdy. I think you may need to only replace the 12AX7 tube only after a long time of being in use. I also notice the reverb knob on mine causes a crackling sound when being moved and even doesn't work when in certain position. // 8

Overall Impression: I play alot of different music but mainly heavy metal however I decided to learn other styles more such as blues, Indie and reggae so decided on getting this amp in order to explore more tones that I couldn't really find on my Peavey Bandt 112 which I have lined up next to it. I wish it would have a middle control on it like the AC30VR. I love the wide range Vox tones it has on it aswell as its dynamics and sensitivity, very well suited to bands such as The Beatles, Yuck, The Vaccines, Kings Of Leon etc. Most people would probably recommend the AC15CC1 over this but I chose this due to the price range (Cheaper and wouldn't need the maintenance like a full tube amp would) and I was able to get a wider range of tones from clean to overdrive without having to crank it. Overall a great sounding amp with pleasing range of tones that makes Vox so famous among players. // 8

AC15VR Reviewed by: ilikekfc, on august 31, 2012

Purchased from: expressmusicstore

Features: First of all this is a good amp. It has 3 channels, a clean channel, semi distortion and a full distortion. This is a very versatile amp and really does work with my style of music (mainly classic rock). It is a straight forward Vox style amp, no effects loop or any kind of digital programming which is a bonus if you want an affordable amp without it being confusing. I do wish it had an headphone socket, for house practise because this thing is loud, 12" speaker. This amp has a very good system called the 'valve reactor' (VR), and it can make some really good sounds. The sounds are not quite valve sounds but they are better then most others on the market. I do not know when or where it was made but the foot switch (the amp does not come with one) is made in Vietnam. // 8

Sound: For the price this amp has a great sound, the only issue I have is when you turn the clean volume up it distorts but this also means you can get some great classic sounds. I surprised my friend with this amp because he didn't realise it could overdrive like it does, he is a heavy metal man. I use an old Les Paul copy with some Seymour Duncans in it, it really does sound fantastic, the distortion will kick you in the face. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have used this amp for bedroom practice and gigging, it truly is a reliable amp, I have never had a problem with it. It does get a bit of a beating while being transported but has took all of it. // 10

Overall Impression: I really think I got a great amp here, compared to other amps such as the Fender front man this is in a league of its own. Not to big but comes with a big punch. For the music I play I couldn't of found a better amp. If it was stolen? I don't know, find the guy and kill them would be the number one choice. I use a Boss DD-3 delay pedal and a wah wah. I strongly recommend this amp if you are after a easy to use and not too expensive amp. // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ AmPlug Twin 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 05/30/2014