AC1 Mini Combo Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 12/17/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AC1 Mini Combo
The Vox AC1 is a funky little 1 watt, 2 speaker practice amplifier. With the vintage good looks of its world-class AC15 & AC30 brothers, the surprisingly raucous AC1 makes a perfect travel companion or practice amplifier for the die-hard Vox user. It's powered by a 9-volt battery or you can hook up the optional AC adapter.
 Features: 9.5
 8.8
 8.6
reviews (2) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
AC1 Mini Combo Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2005

Features: AC1 Mini Combo amplifier is a compact battery operated guitar amp that pumps out 1-Watt of classic Vox tone through Twin speakers. Designed to replicate the classic look of a vintage Vox AC30, the new Vox AC1 provides the guitarist with sounds that range from clean to classic overdrive with smooth tone, but at considerably lower volume levels - perfect for late night practice. Measuring a mere 6 1/2" x 4 7/8" x 2 5/8" the Vox AC1 Mini Combo features volume, high cut and gain controls with authentic Vox pointer knobs, as well as a headphone jack which mutes the internal speakers for truly private practice. In addition, the Vox AC1 has an on/off led indicator and the Input jack serves as a On/Off switch which turns the amplifier's power when a guitar cable is plugged in. The Vox AC1 Mini Combo amplifier is powered by a 9-volt battery, and an optional AC adapter is also available. // 10

Sound: I use this with a Squier Strat with stock single coils. I also use a Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal. I play blues and classic rock, and this fits that pretty well. I get feedback from it if the gain and volume are all the way up, and I'm using the pedal, and the mid pickup is really close to it. But other than that, no noise. Today I put gain and volume on full, with the drive and volume all the way up on the bluesbreaker, and it had barely any noise. Its funny, really, because the cut down, it is on a crunch sort of sound. When your battery gets low, the sound sucks. If the sound ever deteriorates, pop a new battery in and it should be good. It has a headphone jack, but that sucks. I turn the cut up with gain at 3 or so to get a nice clean, creamy sound. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an awesome match for my music, and I love it. Obviously, this amp is nowhere near as good as a real large amp, but for its size it's awesome. If it where stolen, I'd find the thief, kick his ass, and get it back. I might compare it with a Fender or Marshall mini amp. If it had EQ, it would be perfect, but for now, it's good. Anyone looking for a small amp should buy this. // 10

AC1 Mini Combo Reviewed by: EchoFox, on december 17, 2013

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This little amp has quite a lot of features. It has an E tuner along with a satisfactory drum machine. It has a clean/gain channel switch. It's 1 watt, fine for a practice amp, because that's what this is, a practice amp and nothing more or less. The AC1 also has a tone, gain and volume control knobs along with AUX in and headphones/AUX out. If you set this amp up with some other speakers to the AUX out line, you can get some great tone. I've tried this and keep the amp set up that way unless I want to take it somewhere with me. // 9

Sound: For a micro amp, the sound is nominal. None of the micro amps can produce truly amazing tones, but the Vox does average along with the others in this category. Gets quite noisy with gain, but it is to be expected as 1 watt is it's max output. I play metal and the gain works fine, although it is quite mid-ish due to it's small speakers. The clean is actually quite nice and makes up for the sub-par gain tones. This amp would be good if you played rock/classic rock, but don't expect it to be good with grindcore or anything. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This isn't for live play, it's a practice amp. It is made of plastic and feels a bit cheap, but I've dropped it twice and it's absolutely fine. It feels light even with batteries. (like 2 pounds maybe?) The outside looks nice and has the classic Vox feel. It should last for a while if you use it about 2~3 hours a day. I would NOT use this as a backup for a live event as it isn't loud enough to be. I would use it for backstage practice if I had to. I would use at least a 15 watt backup combo if my Fender Champion failed. // 7

Overall Impression: I play lots of Symphonic metal (Nightwish, etc.) It's a fine match for practice and nothing else. Don't expect this to be all-versatile. It's a practice amp, don't expect an amazing tone. I've been playing for a year and needed a quiet amp for home play. I should have asked for the adapter when I bought it. I would probably get a Roland Micro-Cube if it was stolen or lost. I chose the Vox micro-amp because it had the best features for $50. Compared to the fender mini-tone deluxe, it beats it by far. It's on par with the Marshall MS-2 tone. The only better micro-amp option is a Roland or Orange Micro Crush for $60. I bought this because of the drum machine really, great for practice. // 8

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ DA5 8 Guitar Amplifiers 10/24/2014