AC50CP2 Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 04/02/2009 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AC50CP2
This EL34-powered line-up marries the classic VOX tone and chime of rock and roll legend with a versatile high-gain channel that goes beyond anything in VOX's 50 year history and into all-new VOX sonic territory.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 8.6
 8.7
 8.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
AC50CP2 Reviewed by: Lbrooks, on march 24, 2008

Features: I'm reviewing the new Vox AC50CP2 2x12 it has 2 channels, an effects loop, balanced and unbalanced direct outs, foot switchable reverb and 50 watts of tube power running on EL34s into two Vox/Warfedale GSH1230 speakers. The parameters on the clean channel are: gain, bass, mid, treble, tone cut, volume and the parameters are the same on the dist channel except there's no tone cut knob and they have added a presence knob, mid boost Switch and a bright switch. I primarily use this amp for band and home practice and it's got plenty of power for those applications, I can get over drums, another guitar, bass and vocals with ease before the amp even begins to break up. // 7

Sound: I am using this amp with an Ibanez SA2020FM prestige and I've also used this amp extensively with a Fender Mexican Standard Stratocaster In my chain also is a Fulltone Fulldrive and a Boss BD-2. Straight into the clean channel with all the knobs set to 12'o'clock the sound is very jangly and quite bright, rolling on the bass and the tone cut gives a much more pleasant, warm tone. Going the opposite direction and piling on the treble will get you into country territory comfortably. Although this IS the clean channel you can easily roll up the gain to bring the amp into classic rock territory, giving your sound a nice, mild crunch. Moving on to channel two with all the parameters set to 12'o'clock the sound is crunchy, not terribly distorted but certainly not clean, think led zeppelin kind of gain but if you engage the upper mid boost and roll up the gain this amp has a whole different personality, the gain can get pretty brutal (will handle anything except modern metal) but unfortunately the mids can get very, very nasal. Using a tube screamer type pedal will make the amp sound tons better while the mid boost is engaged, producing a round, smooth lead tone. I must stress though, this amp is not fantastic (standalone) for modern metal, it just can't do it without sounding nasal and scratchy. This amp is for those of you Who want excellent cleans and good crunch with a bit of extra versatility. I have gotten some unwanted noise from the amp, mainly when on higher gain setting sitting extremely close to the amp. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I depend on this amp and would always gig it without a backup. It hasn't broken down on me and I've had it for 10 months now. I cannot say that it is bulletproof and there is no chance of it breaking down, simply because it is a tube amp and all of them are prone to minor problems regardless of build quality. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles of music mainly blues, rock, alternative, indie, instrumental rock and sometimes dabble in lighter forms of metal. This amp is a perfect match for me and handles everything I play well except for metal. I've been playing for 5 years and own this amp, my pride and joy Ibanez Prestige, a Fulltone Fulldrive, a Boss BD-2 and other assorted pedals. If this amp were stolen/lost I probably would buy a different amp just because I don't need 50 watts, it's not a downside; I just don't need that much power. Before buying I compared the Vox to a Marshall Vintage modern, which although decent, lacked on versatility, a Fender 4x10 deville which was good, but only on single coiled guitars and an AC30 which was fantastic, the cleans were noticeably better than the AC50CP2's but again, lacked the versatility. // 7

AC50CP2 Reviewed by: wannaberocker19, on april 02, 2009

Features: Vox AC50 combo amp, mine was made in China in 2007, bought it two months ago, never owning a solid state or hybrid amp again. This is an all-tube two-channel 50 watt monster with two EL34 power tubes and four ECC83 preamp tubes. Channel one is basically an AC30 sans tremolo, with slightly more gain and high end to work with. Volume, gain, interactive 3-band EQ, Tone Cut control (which is amazing!) and reverb control. Channel 2 has a bright switch to help humbuckers cut through the mix, and a fat switch with adds quite a bit of gain and low mids. Same controls as Channel 1 except Tone Cut becomes Presence control, which basically is exactly the opposite of Tone Cut. The included footswitch switches channels and reverb on/off. Unfortunately, I lug this 77lbs. Amp everywhere, as it is my only amp as of right now. 50 watts is so much power, half volume shook my mirror off the wall! Only thing I wish for was a solo boost which was footswitchable, but now I have a pedal for that, so all is good. // 9

Sound: Channel 1 is all about sparkling, jangling tones with the gain under one o'clock. After than Malcolm Young ACDC tone towards classic rock crunch as the gain knob goes up. Absolutely sublime tone. With my current EQ setup, switching to Channel 2 is like a sonic boom of crunch and low mids and beautiful grind. I play mainly Sabbath, Zeppelin, Ramones, Nirvana, and Wolfmother styled stuff, and this amps clean/dirty switching is beautiful. I have an SG with JB/P-Rails, and this thing screams with a overdrive pedal in front of it. The clean channel is only slightly more overdriven at half volume, which is all the louder I could turn it up without blowing windows out in my room. Almost no hum, even at extremely high volumes. The only genre of music this amp can't do without a pedal is thrash and death metal. With a Boss Metal Zone hooked up though, look out! // 10

Reliability & Durability: No problems ever, I wish it wasn't so heavy, or it had casters to wheel it around. Remembering to let the amp warm up and cool down is a must though to maintain tube life. I would gig with this without a backup no sweat, I don't even think I would have to use the PA this thing is loud! Tube amps do require more maintenence than any other though, but it's worth it. // 9

Overall Impression: I almost bought a 100 watt modeling amp instead of this, I am so glad I mad the right choice and got the AC50. With my SG, my friends SG and Les Paul, or any other guitar worth the wood it's made out of this amp is killer! I'm now working on pedals since I have my dream amp. I don't dislike anything about this amp, it is a tone monster. Marshalls cost too much, Fenders you have to have pedals to get good distortion, and boutique amps make Marshalls look cheap. Vox rox! // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ Big Bad Wah 9 Guitar Effects 07/29/2014