AD100VT-XL Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 03/19/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AD100VT-XL
The AD100VT-XL is part of the new VOX Valvetronix XL line, an exciting new range of tube-powered modelling amplifiers that delivers the power and punch that modern rock players require, with a selection of hi-gain sounds that span the entire range of heavy rock music.
 Features: 7.7
reviews (3) pictures (3) 40 comments vote for this gear:
AD100VT-XL Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 28, 2008

Purchased from: Ingrahams Music

Features: The Vox AD100VT-XL is a solid state amp with a tube pre-amp and it is the best sounding amp in it's price range that I have heard. I'm in a ska/punk/folk/alternative band, so clean tones are just as important as the distorted tones, the first day I got the amp I went through all the amp models and effects and they all sound great so regardless of the style you play this amp will have a good a setting for you. A unique and very useful feature is that it not only has a master volume knob but in the back you can change the actual wattage output so you can have the master volume at 10 and just mess with the watt so that it stays consistently powerful at any volume. There is a foot Switch but you have to buy it separately, and for all it's channels and effect you can only Switch between two channels and turn one effect per channel off and on, to me this isn't a problem because I got both my distorted and clean tones exactly where I want them, but I'm sure this will be a problem for people in different bands with different styles, or tone freaks, but to it's credit it's really easy and fast to change and program your sound. Despite this missing feautre, I am very pleased overall with the features. // 9

Sound: The sounds that this amp produces are loud and powerful. There is no distortion in the clean channels at the highest volumes, in fact the higher the volume the clearer and punchier the high channels get. And thanks to the built in noise gate (which is not an effect but a setting built in to the channel) there is only as much feedback as you want there to be on the distorted channels. This amp is flexible so any tone you want, it's possible to reproduce it but the same doesn't go with effects, it has 11 different effects but about half of them are just combinations of the singular effects which is all fine and dandy but you can't combine effects yourself, again to me this isn't much of a problem but I'm sure it will be for those Who use a lot of different effects // 9

Reliability & Durability: It has a steel grill, so I'm sure it was designed with gigging in mind. I've played it at three shows, I've had it for a month and so far it hasn't failed me yet, it has tipped over, been dropped at the astounding height of about 8 inches and it still works good, I spent $430 on this thing so I'm not gonna be running durability tests on this any time soon, but this thing is heavy and built like a tank so I dont see any problems in the future. // 10

Overall Impression: I let a metal band use it at shows when I can so for our style and hardcore music this is a good match, I don't experiment a whole lot with tone but it suits me well, I've been playing for 6 years and consider myself a bit of an audiophile, and this produces my idea of a good tone, an included foot Switch with more channels and effects would have been great but overall, I'm glad I bought this amp and with all of the features, I consider $430 a pretty good value. If this thing we stolen I might by the half stack version of it but I wouldn't change the make or class. // 10

AD100VT-XL Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2008

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This is a Vox 100 watt hybrid amp, meaning it is a mix of SS and tube. It has 2 12inch speakers. This amp has 11 amp models, and 11 effects. Most of the amp models are great, except a couple need tweaking to get a great sound. You can program in 2 presets to your liking. There are 9 distorted channels, and 2 clean ones. The clean channels are exceptionally nice sounding. Most of the channels have some built in effects, but they can be turned off using the bypass button, or you can pick a different effect using the effect selector knob. You can change the sound of each channel to your liking using the the treble, bass, gain, etc. You can get nice bluesy tones this way from some of the channels. The distorted channels are mostly good, none of them are horrible. Thrashed and modern are great for Metallica and Megadeth style stuff, Raged and modern both sound good for Rage Against The Machine, and pretty much any style of hard rock sounds good through most of the channels. The effects are for the most part good. The main problem with the effects is you can't combine them, there are 11 built in effects, with several of those being combinations that came built in. You can edit the properties of the effects, but a little more customization would have been a nice touch. There is an optional footswitch, but it's an extra $35. // 8

Sound: I use a Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany with this amp. My pickups are Burstbucker Pros. I play everything from blues to metal. It might take a while since the first few days you have this amp it can be a bit difficult to figure out how to tweak it just right, but you can get just about any sound out of it. It sounds almost identical to a tube amp. It can deliver everything from beautiful cleans to crazy ammounts of gain. It sounds wonderful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely trust this amp in any situation. It does have a breakable tube in it, so I wouldn't go throwing it out the window or anything, but it seems pretty sturdy, and very reliable. It has never given me any problems so far. The metal grill seems like it could prevent most things that would get your speakers knocked in. // 8

Overall Impression: I play many styles of music, and this suits them all. If you play mostly blues or classic rock, I'd recommend going with the standard Valvetronix series instead, but if you play a lot of hard rock or metal, go with this one. This is geared more for metal and hard rock, but can produce some perfect sounds for blues and ska and such, and has some gorgeous cleans. The only downside to this amp is it takes A lot of tweaking to get the perfect sound out of it, but the sounds it is capable of producing are amazing. I play a lot of Sublime, and this is perfect. I play a lot of Metallica as well, and this also suits that even better. I compared this to a Peavey Valveking, and regular Valvetronix. I liked the Vox sound better than the Valveking (didn't like the valveking distortion), and it was close between this and the regular valvetronix. I'd say it is a close tie between this and the standard Vox AD series, but I went with this because I was able to get similar clean sounds out of this, and was able to get much more gain out of this. Overall this is an excellent amp, and would recommend it to anyone. // 9

AD100VT-XL Reviewed by: guitar_mad_ali, on march 19, 2012

Purchased from: Online

Features: I have owned this amp for about 3 years now, and now upon its judgment day when it shalleth be replaced-eth, comes its epitah. This amp has several good features, and several bad. It comes with 11 different amp sims, and also offers the possibility of creating tones yourself. The presets are OK but eventually you will want to edit them, which Vox make easy with the write button. It has 2 channels, which is enough for me, depends what you like. Enough blabber, this amp has several terrible features. Firstly, the noisegate. You CANNOT turn this off. I find when recording distorted guitars with this mic'ed up, the signal is extremely loud and then is quickly pulled down by the noise gate. This gives very un-even takes and I personally do not like the sound it gives your guitar, I don't find its even any good at cutting feedback. Channel switching live is impossible live without the pedal, so there's another 20 for Vox they'll have off you. This amp does have an effects loop, I have tried it with a simple EQ pedal and it worked great. However, when I try linking my ME-70 in, the noise is terrible. The amp squeals and squeals no matter how much you reduce the level and gain on the pedal settings. I tried using guitar > ME70 > amp, but for some reason even with the master at 100% on the pedal, the volume of the amp was decreased dramatically. Thanks to the tremendous power of the amp though it is possible to play live like this, but not in larger rooms (without PA.) Talking of the amp power, this is a bonus it definitely has; tons of volume, a redeeming factor. // 6

Sound: I play a Washburn X-50 Pro FE, with two Seymour Duncans. I play all 'guitar' music, from metal to jazz and pop. Here the amp is lacking again. For metal, the whole XL part is no bullsh*t, but it is a one trick pony. The distortion really is intense, and extremely heavy; it can get nastily gritty and VERY muddy at higher volumes though. The cleans are very much so, and the amp has a lot of headroom which is nice. However, between face melting distortion and sparkling cleans this amp is a huge let down. The tones inbetween are just terrible. The crunchy channels lack any real 'umph' and sound pathetic. The more distorted but not quite metal settings, sound weak. So if slightly muddy ball busting distortion is thing... Go for it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I have been pretty harsh so far but here is where voxy-baby redeems herself. I have gigged this thing probably around 30 times since I have owned it, and it has never EVER let me down. Its been a magnificent coffee table, foot rests and all those other things you should never do with an amp. It weighs a mighty 64 pounds, and I have firm Faith that it will produce half decent distortion forever. Thanks to the wattage knob its also a decent practice amp too. This thing has never even had a knob fall off. Aside from occasionally putting things on it; as long as you take care of it, it should last a very long time. I'm not giving it 10 because it hasn't out lived me... Yet. // 9

Overall Impression: This was my first amp that I bought specifically with gigging in mind. It is way loud enough for 99% of venues (unless you have a pedal before the amp as I mentioned) and is extremely reliable. I have been playing for around 10 years now, and its time for me to get a smaller head to make gigging more portable. If it was stolen, I would claim on the insurance and maybe have a weekend away; I wouldn't buy another. I'm afraid it really didn't deliver the tone I am after. I love the volume and the sturdyness, I dislike the sound and I hate the noisegate and necessary Vox pedal. // 7

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ Big Bad Wah 8.9 Guitar Effects 07/31/2014