AD100VT Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 10/02/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AD100VT
The AD100VT sports the amazingly versatile tube sound of Valvetronix and a modern twist to the traditional Vox design. The new AD100VT makes an excellent choice for a performance amp, with versatility and power to spare.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.9
 Features: 8.6
 8.2
 8.6
 7.7
reviews (11) 50 comments vote for this gear:
AD100VT Reviewed by: VLVTRVOLVR13, on december 07, 2005

Purchased from: SamAsh

Features: There are so many awesome features on this amp I dont know where to start. Maybe the amp modeling or built in effects. The tube powered pre-amp that delviers real tube tone for those who cant afford a real tube amp. Or that beautiful chrome grill. Whatever it is, the Vox has it! Check their site for exacts. // 10

Sound: Sound, well if you have ever wondered what replicated tube tone blasted through two 12 inch speaker through a chrome grate, its kind of like that. This amp is by far one of the nicest sounding combo amps out their for this price range. The cleans are sweet sounding and dont get crappy when overdriven, and the distortion is killer. Metal, hard rock, ska, blues, classical, jazz, surf, acid hill billy whatever this beast will play it. There is harldy a noise at even high levels (buzzing). It suits me perfectly, and I play all those styles minus the hillbilly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Only had it for a couple months but since then I've dropped AMP energy drink down it, my brother kicked it (the jacknut, and it's been in my garage for a bit). I'm not saying these things are good for the amp, but I havent seen s change in its reliability or durability. I would defenitly take it gigging. It also comes with a 7 year contract so I'm covered. // 10

Overall Impression: I played a lot of other combo amps. Some Marshalls, Line 6, and Peavey and none of them compared with this beast. Hard rocking guitar has never sounded better, and for the price you would be crazy not to buy this amp. If you do and you don't like it I won't refund you but I will recomend a good doctor. You would have to be crazy not to love this amp. // 10

AD100VT Reviewed by: Svennz, on september 20, 2006

Features: The amp was made this year, 2006. It has 100 watts of power and 2 Celestion speakers. It's a 'hybrid' solid state amp, it has a tube in the pre-amp. it's tone is warmer than pure solid states. It covers a vast range of tones due to it's modelled amp features and digital effects. Personally, I play trash metal, classic rock but I lean more towards indie/hard rock. I can swift through those styles easily on the Vox. Amp models and built in effects. I will give you a short idea of some of the models I mostly use. 01. Boutique Clean - modelled on: Dumble 100w head (clean channel). Whenever I get the chance to play my cousin's electroacoustic guitar, I use this amp model. Sound doesn't get muddy, not even at high volumes. 02. Black 2x12 - modelled after a Fender 'Blackface' Twin Reverb amp. 03. Tweed 4x10 - modelled on: 1959 Fender 4x10 Bassman. You can get a twangy tone using this and it's very responsive to dynamic picking. 04. AC15 - modelled on: Channel 2 of a 1962 Vox AC15. 05. AC30TB - modelled on: Vox AC30 'Top-boost'. 06. UK '70s - modelled on: 1971 Marshall 50w Plexi Head (high treble channel). 07. UK '80s - modelled on: 1983 100w Marshall JCM800 head. This model is one of my favorites- If you are a JCM800 fan, you will love how you can achieve a very similar tone with little effort. Perfect for classic rock and overdriven solos. 8. UK Modern - modelled on: Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 head (High gain channel). 09. Nu-Metal - modelled on: 100w Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head(modern high gain channel). Do you like rectifier tones? Check out this model. 10. US Hi-Gain - modelled on: Soldano SLO100 Head (hi-gain channel). You can get a fat, crunchy tone out of this thing. I use it when I play Metallica/Megadeth stuff. 11. Boutique OD - modelled on: Dumble Overdrive Special 100w head (overdrive channel). Slash tone lovers, enjoy! Woman tone also sounds beatiful through this model. Effects: auto-wah, compressor, compressor + phaser, compressor + chorus, compressor + delay, chorus + reverb, flanger + reverb, tremolo + reverb, rotary + reverb, delay, reverb. The effects are better than most of other amp's built-in effects, but don't expect excellent wuality from them. You can save 2 personalized settings in 2 channels respectively, which is very limited if you want to use more patches during a gig. You can only use the Vox footswitch (sold separately) to change channels and bypass the effects. // 8

Sound: I pair this amp with my Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus and my cousin's Ibanez Electro-acoustic (not sure what model). Both guitars with stock pups, and the amp's tone still stands out. Clean channels don't distort nor get muddy at high volumes. And about the distortion, if you are into heavy metal, black metal and heavy stuff, you might need an overdrive or a distortion pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've gigged with this amp a couple of times and everything has been fine. I've had it for around 6 months and my only complain is that the letters (Vox) infront of the amp are very faulty. The 'V' fell off when a friend poked it with his foot accidentally during a jam session. // 8

Overall Impression: I've not been playing for so much time (2 years), but when it comes to sound quality and tone I'm very nitpicky. If this amp was stolen or lost I'd definitely get another one, or I might go full tube instead. I have compared it to tons of solid states and this one really kicks them out of the way. // 9

AD100VT Reviewed by: IAMTHEEGGMAN..., on january 19, 2006

Features: This is a fairly new line of amplifier, and can handle pretty much whatever style you throw at it. I play predominately blues and jazz music, but I also dabble in classic rock, prog rock and heavy metal, and this amp handles them all like a dream. This variety of tones is a result of the onboard amp modeling system. It sports 11 different amp models, all of which are very accurate, including the timeless classic Vox AC15 and AC30. This is combined with valve reactor circutry, to give an authentically warm tube sound. Included also are 11 digital FX; auto wah, compressor, compressor + phaser, compressor + chorus, chorus + delay, chorus + reverb, flanger + reverb, tremolo + reverb, rotary + reverb, delay and reverb. Admittingly, I don't use most of these effects, I generally just use reverb and compressor, but that's just me. For those who do use them, there is a tap tempo button for controlling delay and a button to bypass them (put simply, it turns your effects off). It has two programmable channels which are footswitchable, however the footswitch comes seperate and is grossly overpriced. It has an external speaker outlet, headphone jack, effects loop, and another nifty little feature, a power level control knob. This determines how much wattage you use (1-100 watts), which is good for getting that proper tube sound without pissing off your neighbours by playing too loud (and believe me, this thing can go pretty bloody loud). // 10

Sound: Tonaly, this is by far the most versatile amp out there. I play it using an Epiphone LP and an Epiphone Sheraton II, both of which use humbuckers, and it is capable of getting some lovely smooth jazzy tones, aswell as an array of twangy country/blues sounds. And with no more than the turn of a knob I can get crunchy, powerfull overdriven tones for playing classic rock, or hard-balled, mid scooped distortion for heavy metal. The distortion is about as brutal as a train wreck. When using the 'clean' amp models (see manual), the gain knob acts as a third volume control (the other two being Volume and Master). When turned any higher than about 1/3, it begins get a naural distortion when playing at louder volumes. To counter this, leave the Gain at about 1/4 or 1/3, crank the Volume knob to full, then use the Master to control how loud you want it. You'll be able to get pure tone at rather high volumes. It's also a great amp for live gigs. I play with several bands, and I use it in pubs, clubs, auditoriums and outdoor gigs, and I rarely need to crank it much over half way, otherwise it drowns out everything else. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've owned this amp for about a month and a half now, and it has never shown any sign of problem. It's extremely reliable, and I trust it enough to use it without a backup when I play live. However it is very heavy, which is fitting as I am very weak. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is the absolute best in its price range. I shopped around and tested pretty much every other amp on the market, but none of them could stack up to this one when it came to tone and power. No matter what you play, this amp will handle it brilliantly. I've been playing live for 2 years, and have gone through three other amps (Marshall 50DFX, Orange 'Crush' 30, and a Line 6 Spider II 30) and none of them can come close to beating this one. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy two more just in case it happened again. // 10

AD100VT Reviewed by: Justjimz, on november 26, 2007

Features: This amplifier was made in 2007. I was really supprised with the tone of this amplifier. Since it is a tube/transistor hybrid, I expected it to have the usual uneven balance(muddy sound)between the odd and even harmonics that is very common with transistor amplifiers, but with this amp it's not the case. The modeling features are pretty much spot on. with 11 amp models and 11 effects, it make a great sounding amp for practice or live performances. In terms of power, at 100 watts this thing has more than enough, it will rattle the windows with ease! A few features that would compliment this amplifier is a foot Switch that can switch between more than just 2 amp models, and an external wah-wah pedal that can overide the one that's built into the amp. Likewise, the sequence of adjustments neede to change effect settings tends to be a bit quirky to use. // 8

Sound: I use a bone stock Gibson Explorer, and the sound is about as close as you can get to a traditional tube amplifiers. The clean amp models are pretty crisp, and the AC15 and AC30 amp models have that kool "chiming" sound characteristic of the Beatles. When using the UK80's setting, it is as close to a (synthesized) 1980's Marshall as you can get. What really makes this amp a cut above the others in this price range is the reactor circuitry that simulates the preamp tube and power amp combination, driving a real (frequency dependant) speaker load. // 9

Reliability & Durability: For me, this is a real sore spot. I have had two AD100VT's let me down over the course of 6 months. No abuse, no hot days in the sun, no soda or beer spills. Both of the died while practicing at perhaps 25% (or less) volume. Because I love the sound so much, I will try one more under factory warranty, that's the only reason I give this a rating. Period. // 2

Overall Impression: To sum it up, this the AD100VT had the best volume and tone out of all the "practice/combo/modeling" amps I tried prior to purchase. For this reason alone, I would give it a rating of 8.5-9, the best bang for the buck. Unfortunately, the reliability has proven to be substandard. One thing for sure, if the next warranty replacement amp fails, I will not purchase another new Vox amplifier! For this I would give it a rating of -1. // 5

AD100VT Reviewed by: sedfilthy19, on june 07, 2006

Features: I play pretty much anything rock. Classic, modern, alternative, metal, etc. This thing fits the bill in pretty much every category. 11 amp models, an EQ, and 11 different effects. Footswitch is sold seperately, but if you want to gig you pretty much need it (just like any other amp.) The one thing I didn't like about the features was the fact that it's only got 2 channels, but it's easy to get by despite that. At 100 watts this thing has all the power anybody will ever need. That's another thing, on the back there is an adjustable wattage dial, so you can crank it to 100 watts or dial it all the way down to as low as 10 if you want. All in all, for a modeling amp it's got some great features. // 9

Sound: I use either a Schecter C-1 Classic w/ seymour duncans or a Jackson JS1 with EMG '81s. I'll tell you what, this amp is a beast. It suits my style's perfectly (see above). But the good thing about it is you can get a balls-to-the-wall crunch out of it, but get some great classic sounds as well. The clean channels are great too, and the effects, while not the best in world, still sound pretty good. After trying some different modelling amps, this one blew the others out of the water. The one bad thing I noticed was the tendency to get too much feedback, but that is easily remedied by a Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor (highly recommended for any set up). All in all, you can get some pretty wicked sounds outta this amps. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I just recently purchased the amp, so I can't say too much about it breaking down or anything. It looks and feels sturdy enough. I gig it without a backup, mainly cuz I don't have a backup, but I'm not too worried about it crapping out on me. It's pretty solid. Besides, Vox is pretty good about their warranties. // 10

Overall Impression: It suits my need perfectly, but since it's a modeling amp I'm sure it can be used for other purposes besides straight-up rock. I've been playing for 5 years and this is my first gig-worthy amp. No regrets so far. If it were lost or stolen, well, I'd probably destroy the person that took it and take it back. If I couldn't do that, I'd probably cry myself to sleep 'cause I can't afford another one. Anyways, like I said, this thing beats the crap out of all other modeling amps. Somewhere down the road I'd like to get a Marshall JCM half-stack, but until then this thing will do just fine. Great value (in my humble opinion). Rock on. // 10

AD100VT Reviewed by: *Nirvana*, on september 30, 2006

Features: This amp is very versatile and sounds great in a lot of styles of music. It has 2 programable channels an effects loop and a headphone jack. The footswitch is not included but can be purchased seperately for $25. This amp has a lot of digital effects built in that sound great, I think twelve amp models that range from a gorgeous clean to a crushing distortion. It is hybrid state with one tube in the preamp but it is the best solid state I have heard so far. // 10

Sound: I use this with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and play a lot of blues, rock, and metal It suits all of these styles very well because I can always change the amp model if it doesn't. It sometimes has a slight buzz but it has only done that a couple of times and is not loud or a problem at all. There is a ton of variety in the sound this amp can produce it can go from B.B. King to Slayer. The clean channel stays clean at high volumes and the disortion only gets better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp has a metal grill on the front and probably could not be destroyed by a nuclear bomb (but I do not wish to find out). It has never broken down or malfunctioned and I would be suprised if it did. I would gig with this without a backup becuse I think everyone in the place could take a bat to it and it would be fine. // 10

Overall Impression: The only problem I have with this amp is the weight, it's not terribly heavy but it gets hard to carry after a while. I love everything about this ampexcept the fact that it is not all tube but it still sounds great for being a hybrid. I compared it to some Marshalls and found it to sound much better. // 9

AD100VT Reviewed by: CrazyEd1988, on february 06, 2007

Purchased from: Rock 'n' Roll Sopot

Features: This amp was manufactured in 2006. I've had this amp for about 3 months now. Before I purchased this amp, I owned a Vox AD50VT for approximately one year. This amp has a very warm and deep sound with it's amp models because of the tube that is present in the preamp. it's amp settings and effects (including noisegate) give a great amount of freedom and versatility to play various types of music. However the fact that this amp only possesses 2 channels is a very large limiting factor. Vox should provide some sort of foot Switch that extends the channel count to at least 4. I use this amp in my room and for rehearsels and gigs. It's 2 Vox-made (not celestion as most people believe) speakers have a very large amount of power; more than enough for small-medium sized gigs. It also possesses advanced editing options where you can tweak many parameters of the effects. // 7

Sound: My primary instrument is a Jacskon DXMGT with a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB humbucker at the bridge and an EMG-HZ at the neck. don't be put off by the guitar brand name, it sounds suprisingly good on clean channels. When I play for myself, I play technical thrash metal because that is where my heart belongs, however I play mostly in light rock/alternative bands. I chose this amp because of my love for many types of music. I'm not gonna go into detail with every amp model, but they reproduce different amp characterisitcs very accuretely (ranging from Fender sparkly warm sounds to face ripping rectifier sounds). The clean is very warm and has large depth to it. The higher distortion sounds (such as the numetal setting. Why did they have to name it like that?) sound especially evil with riffs utilizing a great deal of palm muting. Effects wise, the reverb and delay are top notch. I would like to say the same about the chorus, but it sounds a little dull to me. The included noise gate deals effectively with noise issues. To really experience and appreciate this amp's sound quality, you have to go into to a very large empty room and crank it up to the max. You will be in heaven, I gaurantee it. This amp obviously does not compare to high end marshalls and mesas, but not many people can spend 3000-4000$ for an amp right? Therefore if you're looking for a good and powerful amp below the 1000$ mark, get this! // 8

Reliability & Durability: The metal grill in the front gives me a feeling of safety when it comes to the fear of physical damage. However, I have unfortunnately had some problems with this amp and the amp I had before (Vox AD50VT). The input for the guitar plug can come off loose and cave in. With my former amp, I had a problem with the wiring inside; when I played at high volumes, the sound would break up due to vibrations. After about a month with this AD100VT amp my noise gate malfunctioned and was cutting off a lot of the sound. The controls wouldn't turn it off. A factory setting reset also didn't help. The good news to all of this is the support I recieved from Vox. My warranty fixed everything and I never had to pay for anything. I do think that the superior sound quality really does outweigh these cons. I am cautious when it comes to gigs and I always bring a backup. // 5

Overall Impression: I remember about a year ago when I was struggling to choose between a Vox AD50VT and a Spider II 112. Now that I have a little more experience and can distinguish sound characteristics in a better way, I have to say that the spiderII 112 simply doesn't compare to the Vox. I've gone heavily into music production (I own a Pro Tools 7LE system with an Mbox 2 mini along with a few dynamic microphones and a M-Audio axiom 49 midi controler). I have been playing for almost 2 years (I know, it's pretty short), but I practice a lot and am completely dedicated to music. I am working hard on developing my multi instrumental and singing abilities. I'm also recording and mixing a lot of my own material. This is my only strong point if I want to get into Berklee in Boston. I only have a year left! Other applicants have a large advantage over me when it comes to guitar playing. I would be grateful if any of you readers have any info or can give me tips on getting into Berklee and the auditions that go along with it. Anyways, to sum things up: if you want a versatile and powerful amp that has superior sound quaility and is below 1000$, then go try this out at the store. You won't be dissapointed! // 8

AD100VT Reviewed by: Raziel2p, on june 17, 2008

Features: This is a so-called hybrid amp, which means a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp. 100 watt is more than enough for anything, and I've been using it for gigs in small venues without having to turn the volume up to the max. It's a modelling amp, so it's made to simulate the sound of other amps, so you can get a variety of sounds out of it. There's a noise gate which works all right, and the amp also offers quite the selection when it comes to effects. You can select the effects through one knob which offers many settings. Four of these settings are stand-alone effects (auto wah, compressor, reverb and delay) while the rest offer a combination of a variation of two effects (for example, chorus+reverb or compressor+phaser). This works, but I would've prefered if you had two knobs for selecting effects, and you could stack them if you wished. The properties of these effects are set by turning one of two knobs, pushing a button or a combination of the two, giving a total of four accessible settings for each effect setting. This works, but it's awfully complicated, and I don't see why they just couldn't have put on three knobs. // 8

Sound: I've been playing an Epiphone Les Paul, Ibanez RG-1527 and Ibanez XPT-707FX through this amp, and metal is the genre I'm usually playing. The amp isn't noisy and doesn't seem to distort at high volumes, but the noise gate can make a bit of sound. The variety of sound offered through the different models is very good, and you'll be able to get very good clean or mild overdrive sounds out of the amp alone. The metal models aren't very good, though. The sound isn't very sharp at all, it's rather blunt and muddy, although it works decently when playing chords. This problem is solved easily with a boost, distortion or overdrive pedal, though, but it requires a bit of tweaking to get it right (personally, I use the Keeley Electronics modified Ibanez TS-9DX tubescreamer). When you do, you should be able to get a good distortion out of it, be it death or black metal-style. Not awesome, though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's been loaded and un-loaded a few times, so I'm sure it'll hold together for as long as I need it to. The rounded edges are supposed to make it more durable, or so I'm told, so maybe that's a plus. I haven't felt the need for bringing a backup amp, and I've never had any problems with it for the year or so I've owned it. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitars for 7 years, although only seriously for the last two years or so, and my gear has already been listed. I think this is a good beginner/intermediate amp if you're playing a variety of genres and don't have much money. You won't need the 100W model unless you're playing gigs, but the two speakers add a lot of depth to the sound. It plays clean very well, it has a wide variety of good twangy tones with mild overdrive, and as I said, with a boost/overdrive/distortion pedal, you'll get good metal sounds out of it, as well. The sound isn't quite satisfying all the time, but it'll do. The effects could have been set up in a more simple way, as said, but the effects are still very impressive and sound very good, and once you figure out how to work the settings, you'll be able to tweak them to perfection. This is a good amp for a variety of genres, but if you only play one genre, you might want to look for something else, because this is more like a jack of all trades, master of none. However, it's affordable, and it gives a lot of sound for the money, so a low score is out of the question. It might not fit me, as I play mostly metal, and I wouldn't buy a new one if it was broken, but that's not the amp's fault. // 8

AD100VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2008

Features: I tried this amp out at the store. What can I say, I was blown away from the start. It has around eleven effects, wah, phaser, echo being the most efficient of them all. It also has many setting such as nu metal which was my favourite. It also has a two way Switch pedal that is easy to use, just select a mode on both of the channels and then step on 1 or 2 to change between the two. You can go from tom morello to Slash in an instant. It also has treble, mid, bass, and all of the other things essential in a good amp. It's also a tube amp, which are my personal favourites. // 10

Sound: I tried about 10 amps at the store with my cheap Ibanez GRG170DX and what can I say, this one stood out. The others had a bland sound, and didn't differ much from my current amp. But the AD100VT made it sound like a Gibson SG. This amp is mainly for metal, or rock players but you can get a brilliant clean tone out of it if you muck around with it enough. The effects all sounded brilliant but the most effiecient of these I think were the wah, the phaser, and echo. The wah could have been a bit more powerfull but it was still as good as you are going to get it without getting a pedal. The phaser made it sound like you are at the beach whilst playing your guitar, as it made a great woosh sound to it. And the echo was good for solos as it made the notes sound much clearer. The best thing about it is it's gain. When Vox said it was a high gain, they werent lieing. You can set it to 5 and it sounds like it's set to 10. Great for that edgy metal sound, or AC/DC tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I asked the man in the store if it would last long and he said that his friend owns one that is is in a professional band and he uses it in small venues, so he doesn't have to bring his massive stack of amps, because it still delivers the punch. He said he has had it for about 5 years so I guess that's pretty good, especially when it's being driven in a truck to gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal like Disturbed, SOAD, Lamb Of God etc and if you set it to nu metal it's great for SOAD and Disturbed and if you switch it to normal gain it's great for Lamb Of God, Metallica etc. I've been playing for about a year, and I'm glad to say I can have the best sooner rather than later. For the price of 899 aus dollars it was great. The man at the store even said I may never ever need to upgrade my amp ever again if I purchase it. It was the top of the top of all the Marshall amps and spiders I tried. It has anything a guitarist needs, whether it is effects, or tone. I am buying it in a week. // 10

AD100VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2008

Features: I think the features have been covered pretty well in other reviews. I do find some shortcomings in that I can only save 2 custom presets. I really, really wish I could save more because I can tweak many of the amp models to sound incredible, but the amp doesn't even remember my settings if I leave an amp model and come back to it. And most of the models need tweaking to sound good for me. If I could save even 5 sounds, I would use this amp live exclusively. The effects are good. The reverb and delay sound great. The chorus, just ok. Flanger is good, compressor I don't really 'get'. Auto-wah, well, I'm not a big fan of wah as it is, so I never use it. The rotary is nice. Tremolo and phaser are pretty good, too. You can adjust the noise gate, but again, if you don't like the setting and tweak it, switching back and forth between models resets everything. Not good. // 7

Sound: I'm going to be a little long-winded here, but this is the most important part of an amp, in my opinion, and this is where the Vox shines. So, I want to be detailed. This amp really shines in terms of pure tone. I'm extremely happy with the sounds I can pull from it. Again, you have to tweak each of the models to get it where you want. This isn't hard to do at all, though, and once you do, it'll make you weep. The Blackface and Tweed models are superb (push the gain higher and cut the treble back). I use a Holy Grail reverb pedal with these 2 models and absolutely love the tones I get. Very powerful and rich. I can't emphasize this enough. And I'm not even a blues guy. You can get psychodelic tones, goth tones, Floyd tones, you name it. I promise, you'll love it. These 2 models really stand out. The Boutique Clean is nice for shimmering type cleans. Again, the Holy Grail sets this one off and I really enjoy it. The only downside is that you have to push the gain a little to give it any 'oomph' and cutting power. The Boutique OD is also nice. It'll give you a nice mid-level Indie type distortion. The bad. In my opinion, the UK '70s, UK '80s, UK modern, and nu metal models are pretty useless. The UK models, in particular, just come off as the most solid state sounding tones in the line-up. And those are ones I'd expect that classic Marshall type tone from. I have enjoyed the '70s and '80s models a little, but only with a lot of tweaking. And only if playing Zep or Sabbath. I can see where some people might like them. Maybe they're just not my thing. The AC 15 and 30 models are fun. Classic tube Vox sound. Crank up the gain and play some ZZ Top, man. Not that ZZ used Vox, it's just the first thing that comes to mind with these models. These are really good and you can do a lot with them. Not really my thing, but I can see where some players would get a lot of use out of them. Last, but not least, the US hi-gain model. This is where I have to strongly disagree with a lot of the reviews I've read. I personally think that they pulled this one off exceptionally well. It's downright mean sounding. The bottom end is tight and full, the trebles are nice and not at all artificial sounding. Maybe my idea of metal distortion is outdated, I don't know. But I do like to occasionally jam on some Metallica, Slayer, Death, Godflesh, and the like (yes, I'm a bit dated), and I find the tone to be crunchy as all h*ll. I will say this, the 2x12 open back can get a little 'whoofy' when pushed. But it's a 2x12 (with not the greatest speakers). I put the US Higain through my Mesa-Boogie 4x12 cabinet, though, and I'm telling you, all h*ll broke loose. I love the metal tone. Maybe it's just me. All in all, I adore the tones I get out of this little beast. Granted, I would trade some of the lesser models for some more features (more preset), but I realliy do not think you will be disappointed. And, this little bastard is loud. I'm a big fan of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't really comment on this. I've only had it about a month, but I've had no problems so far. I will say that it 'feels' heavy-duty. The cover is tougha and the handles are, too. I hear complaints about the input jack, but I'll just take care and cross my fingers! I'm giving it an 8 just by 'feel' and initial impression, but keeping in mind the issues I've heard. // 8

Overall Impression: I play in an alt-rock band. They claim post-punk, glam, psychodelic, boogie-rock, and pure rock influences (I say they because I'm new and this isn't the type of music I typically play). It works geat in that setting. But d*amn the preset limitation. Without that I'd be in heaven. I bought this amp initially to be a practice amp to keep at home. My stahe amp for years has been a Hughes & Ketner Attax 200 through a Mesa Boogie 4x12 cab. I immediately noticed the potential of the Vox and I suspect it will soon either overtake the Hughes or become an A/B setup alongside it (again, lack of presets, and the Hughes does rock). I also noodle with very clean, somber music, metal, and classic rock. Personally, I find this amp to nail every one of them. The tone is outstanding. // 9

AD100VT Reviewed by: Arycama, on october 02, 2008

Price paid: A$ 850

Purchased from: Allans Music

Features: A relatively new amp, introduced a few years ago, not entirley sure which year, I bought it 3 or so months ago. I play Progressive, Power, Thrash and Death metal, and this amp is great for all of them. It has 11 amp models, so it is useful for anything from clean Opeth like passages to brutal sounding bands like Nile. The guitar has 3 channels. You can write the amp model, volume, gain, fx and eq settings to channel 1 or 2, I use channel 1 for clean and 2 for rhythm. Then there is a manual channel which is whatever the knobs are pointing at. I also purchased the footswitch which is available seperatley, this enables easy switching between channels. It also includes an FX loop, a line/headphone jack and an 80 watt 8ohms speaker out jack. This amp has all the features I want on an amp, the built in fx are good, but there isn't really a way to manage switching between them as you can only have one per channel, I would just get a multi-fx processor and use that in the FX loop if you like to use lots of fx. I like to use a little bit of reverb and chorus however. I use this amp at jams with the rest of my band and it has more then enough volume, and it would easily be loud enough for gigs. It has a built in attentuator as well, which you can turn from less then 1 watt to 100 watts, so you can have decent volume and distortion without deafening yourself. This is a modelling amp, but includes tubes in the preamp circuitry, resulting in some warm sounding clean tones and decent saturation. Power amp distortion is also possible with this modelling amp, of course it isn't the same as a full tube amp cranked up, but it is good enough for me. // 8

Sound: I currently have a Fender Standard Fat Stratocaster with the standard pickups. Although this guitar isn't really designed for The Music I play, paired with this amp it does a very convincing job! The amp is very quiet, the only noise it gets is from my pickups. If you know how to adjust the EQ properly, you can get a very balanced tone even at high volumes. I play with plenty of mids, and treble and bass are adjusted to keep the tone sounding even. The amp can make a large variety of sounds, clean, crunchy, and heavy distortion. The clean channel can be very loud before getting distorted as a result of the power amp circuit that Vox designed. The distortion has the potential to be very brutal, it sounds different with different models, I like to use the UK Modern amp model, and I only have to have the gain up a bit over half way, which is plenty for rhythm guitar, crunchy palm muting and loud harmonics. You can always turn it up more for the lead (manual) channel as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never had this amp show any signs of not working so far. It has tubes in the preamp, but most of the circuitry is solid state I think, so it should be rather durable, although the preamp tubes would inevitably have to be changed eventually. I would use this at a gig without a backup... However two of the three handles on it have broken, they don't seem durable enough, this is the only bad thing I have encountered so far. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the music I play. I don't own much other gear, just an old solid state 0 Watt amp and a Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah. I actually wish I bought the 50 watt version instead, as it is still plenty of volume for gigging and it would be slightly lighter. This amp weighs 30kg or so, so it is a bit of a drag to carry around. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably buy the 50 watt version. Overall, I just like all the features, the sound, the fx, the volume, the distortion, it is all really good, and for a really cheap price. Of course this wouldn't compare to a top of the line Marshall or Peavey amp, but it must be one of the best amps in it's price range. // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ Big Bad Wah 8.9 Guitar Effects 07/29/2014