AD100VTH Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 04/26/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AD100VTH
This half-stack delivers bone-crushing volume and true tube tone in a bold, no nonsense package.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Features: 9.2
 7.9
 9.1
 6.6
reviews (6) pictures (2) 22 comments vote for this gear:
AD100VTH Reviewed by: jmac72187, on march 14, 2006

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: This amp was made in 2006. The amp is probably the most versatile amp I have ever played. It has anything from crystal clear cleans to heavy distortion for palm muting. It has 11 amp presets and 2 user programmable channels. It has channel switching built into the amp and there is an optional 2 button footswitch that you can use for this. There is an effects loop and a headphone jack located on the backside of the amp. It also has 11 useful built in effects (reverb, chorus, delay, etc). On the back of the amp, there is a setting to adjust the power amp from 1-100 watts. I used this amp at my house and it is plenty of power. It will be plenty of power for almost anything. It is a hybrid amp. It contains tube and solid state parts. // 10

Sound: I use this with an Epiphone Les Paul with 2 humbuckers. It suits any music style. It isn't noisy at all. I only got feedback when the guitar was inches from the amp while set pretty loud. The amp can sound like just about anything you need. Heavy, blues, cleans. The clean channel is not distorted at high volumes at all. The distortion can get pretty brutal if you want it to. It all depends on how you set all of the settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have only had it a few days. I cannot really comment on this. It seems very solidly built. I would bring it without a backup just because I cannot afford a backup and would most likely not buy one if I could just because I trust Vox. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything rock basically. I have been playing about a year and use this with a Epiphone Les Paul. If it were stolen, I would hunt the person who stole it down and beat them with the amp to within and inch of their life. Then I would wait till they heal and repeat. Then I would play through the amp. I love everything about the amp, the look and the sound are great. // 10

AD100VTH Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2007

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Amp was made in 2006. This amp is extremely versatile. It models 11 amps ranging from Boutique Clean/OD to AD30 to Numetal to US High Gain. The range of cleans and overdrives/distortions you can find yourself playing on are pretty amazing when you consider it's all built in. It has 2 footswitching channels and a preset channel. It's also got a bunch of effects (auto wah, compression, chorus, trem, phaser, rotary, delay etc) and all are pretty versatile (can change how they sound). This thing goes about as far as possible in terms of auto effects. // 9

Sound: I'm using this with a Warlock NJ, which is pretty versatile in terms of styles. I can get it to sound really nice clean, right through to bone crunching distortion. But if you're like me and can't settle on one exact style, the amp will go where you want it to. I mainly play metal and the amp does an excellent job, but like I said, the thing produces pretty good clean sounds too. How brutal is the distortion? Switch it to 'nu-metal', max the gain, put master to full and then adjust volume with the amount of watts going into the amp (little knob on the back). Distortion gets brutal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing rocks. It's hybrid so you don't have to fret over tubes or valves and etc. You wouldn't need a backup, it's reliable. In terms of non-tube/valve amps, this is a pretty damn good amp and will be suitable for amateurs/pros. It would gig to a certain extent. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm personally against how everyone talks about "if this was stolen I'd probably..." but if someone managed to steal it on my watch, I'd only not get another cause I would buy something completely different. I only bought this in the first place cause it was going cheap on eBay. But I'm happy with it. I've been playing guitar for around 8 years now and this is keeping me happy for the moment. If you are looking for a non-tube half stack with the versatility of 11 amps then this is the one to check out. // 9

AD100VTH Reviewed by: ZinkMonster, on june 29, 2007

Features: This amp is absolutely amazing in terms of versatility. It has pretty much every amp style anyone would ever need, all with a tweakable EQ. 11 whole modes. Literally, EVERY style anyone would need. I play in a heavy/thras metal band, and not only can I use this amp to create classical sounding music, acoustic sounding stuff, and older reggae, but I can make people's head's explode with the Nu-Metal and Modern UK settings on it. It has an output jack for recording, and it has a nifty Watt rating knob on the back, so you can have your master volume all the way up to get the distortion you want, but keep it quiet. Oh, did I mention the effects? It has 11 effects! Flange, Chorus, Delay, ahh everything you need. And a nifty little effects volume knob, and a tap button to time the effect distance. Like speed up your delay, or slow it down to about 6 seconds. It's crazy. // 10

Sound: Oh man. This thing can make my guitars weep, or destroy. Like I said, I play in a thrash/metal band and this will rip people's heads off, or it'll heal people's souls. No noise at all. Even on super distortion. Not even with single coils. You don't get ANY buzz or hum from it unless your right on top of it adjusting your settings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've done 5 full gigs at local clubs with this amp, and it's held out incredibly well. I can't say that for the cab. But that's because it fell out of my truck. It still works but looks horrible. Anyway, this amp doesn't really require any maintenence with tubes and whatnot since it's all fake tube. But it still can sound every bit lik eone. // 9

Overall Impression: I'd say this amp will fit a lot of people Who have mixed playing styles or like versatility. If you want something heavier than this, though, you'll have to get a MESA. That's the only thing that will be any heavier in distortion than this. I'm not kidding. I played a Randall and several Marshalls at guitar center, then I played this. Then I played the MESA. MESA was 1300. Vox was 400. And the MESA only sounded a little bit better than this, because obviously it's a MESA and is 1300. But anyway, this thing can be a savage meat-eating, baby-killing monster, or the complete opposite. Think of your own analogy. I love this amp. // 10

AD100VTH Reviewed by: Death-Reaper, on january 21, 2008

Purchased from: Klomp Muziek - Den Bosch - Netherlands

Features: I love this amp. It has everything, and then I really mean everything you could wish for. 11 different presets, which you can manually change the settings from. It goes from very clean, to freakin trash sounds. Also there are 11 effects (such as comp, delay, phaser, chorus, reverb, and mixes between em) which you can set the time duration of (tap button, and potmeter for reverb, phaser, chorus). There's a bypass button to Switch them off/on, which also works on a footswitch (I have an Ibanez Switch, which also works on it). There are 2 channels where you can "write" your settings into, and you can also Switch between those two with the footswitch. There's EQ, and with the Gain and Volume you can get almost every kind of distortion you want to. It has footswitch output, effect send and return outputs, 2 speaker outputs, and a feature to manage the wattage going out of your amp into your cab. That last one is very useful, you can turn the amp up very very loud, and with that feature you can keep it quiet. This amp is partly tube, partly solid state, but it sounds just like a complete tube amp. // 10

Sound: I'm using an Epiphone Les Paul Custom EB with it (the black one, yes), with the default pickups. It sounds just great. I mostly play it with my band, we play punkrock, and some harder stuff sometimes, and the amp is doing great at that! At home I play trash metal, or just heavy metal, and the distortion is just brutal. Unbelievable. And the good thing is, no buzzes or noise at all! Even at high volume the clean nor the overdrive channels distort. Only a bit when you're next to it to set your settings it might buzz a little at high volume. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can't say anything about it's durability, since I purchased it like half a year ago. But it has never broken down. Not even the tiniest bit. But I really trust Vox, I would use backup though, you can't predict what may happen. "They are designed to be guitarist-friendly and easy to use." As the Vox website says about this amp. I agree with that! // 9

Overall Impression: Before this amp I played on a Line 6 Spider II. When I bought that one, I felt comfortable with the sound of it, but that was when I played guitar like 1 year, so I was kinda ignorant I think, since I really don't like the sound of it anymore. The Vox is a way better amp, I really love it's sound, but also it's appearance. I compared it with other sortlike amps, like Marshall Valvestate, MG100HDFX (I hate that one) and some London City's. If it were stoled I'd soo get it back. In any way possible. // 10

AD100VTH Reviewed by: thefoilfrontman, on march 17, 2008

Features: I bought this head after playing it in a room full of Marshall JCM 2000s and it held it's own. This is a solid state amp with a tube pre-amp. It has (I believe) 8 different amp sounds to choose from (4 clean, 4 dirty). The dirty range from classic Vox, to Marshall, to Mesa Rectifier. The Marshall setting is easily the most crunch with my setup. A two channel footswitch is available for this amp but comes with a short cord. I use it as my main stage amp and play original rock (more towards heavy) and it's 100 w are plenty of power for all the venues I've played so far. It does have built in EFX, but I'm not impressed with most of them. // 8

Sound: I normally play a Mexican re-issue strat with this because I love the strange distortion I get from this. This is a very quiet amp as far as hums and whatever else go. Clean channels really don't distort that much until you get to extreme volume. Like I said before, the distortion really held it's own against a Marshall JCM2000. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This has been a great amp for me, but it bit me in the rear one night as I was just getting ready to rock on stage and the power gave on me. It ended up being a relay of some sort internally that had to be replaced. This was covered by the warranty, but it sure is scary. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is good for what I play and great for what it is. The cost can't be beat for the overall pounding that it pumps out. That being said, when I can afford it, I'll go with the Marshall. This amp does NOT appear to be that sturdy, so I would avoid drops of any kind. All in all though, I'm pretty happy with the amp. If you're strapped for cash but truly need more power, this amp can really help you out. // 7

AD100VTH Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 26, 2012

Price paid: € 180

Purchased from: used from a rehearsal studio

Features: No idea what year it was made. In a way it has 3 channels: You have manual mode, where what you see (knob positions) is what you get, and you can store two extra sounds in two memory slots. So I store a clean and rhythm sound and set the knobs for a lead sound I can use, pressing the "manual mode". The fx loop is very useful for chorus, delays etc, but I also plug my Sansamp PSA-1 or even Vox ToneLab LE straight to the power amp, to use extra preamps if I like. Finally, it has built in fx with various settings. All are nice but I have it set to reverb always and use the loop for delay etc. Still, if I want a pink floyd style Jam and don't have my pedals lying around, I can always use the built-in delay, which is fine. So that's a plus. I don't ask for more features, the amp is already stunning as it is. I know it's an old model, whith less amp sims, but the choice of models was smart and the sound is very convincing so I'm happy the way it is. I rate it 8 though, compared to the 10 for the newer heads, with double the amp sims. Overall, for the price I paid and even for its price as new, I think the features are more than enough, as they are all of excellent quality! // 8

Sound: I play a 1965 hand made Teisco Strat-like guitar with 3 single coils, an Epiphone Les Paul Std with stock pups and a Schecter Hellraiser C-1 with the stock EMG's 81tw and 89r active dual pups. I run the amp through a Marshall MF400 mode four oversize 4x12 400Watt, 8Ohm cab. I've been playing since 1995, several genres: Old blues, funk, reggae, ska, punk, alternative rock, post punk, post rock, thrash, death, black metal. I own a recording studio and I bought this as a second head for versatility, as my Laney GH100L was too british sounding for some styles. The amp is very silent, I never had to use the noise gate even in full-on settings. Besides, everyone who has a real tube amp knows they all have some background noise, you learn to live with that. All amp sims are very convincing. When I play I always feel like it is the real thing. It reacts exactly like my Laney. After you choose the amp model, the controls are like the actual amp. Just turn to manual mode and sculpt your tone in no time. When I record for a production, I can hear the difference from the original amp in solo mode, but only slightly. I can bring it even closer with some detailed eq, in 5 minutes. In the mix, combined with everything else, it is totally convincing. So for me it is like having 11 amp heads, 80% close to the original, for such a small price! For me this is a sure 10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It doesn't look very sturdy, I wouldn't like to move it around too much. Too many plastic parts and the amp selecting knob is a bit loose I think. Doesn't get worse, it just isn't firm. Overall, the amp does it's job and I leave it alone. However, I never witnessed any problems in sound, performance, etc. It always works great. Not much maintenance is required, just change the tube if the sound starts turning dull. I never had to contact support, I also have the ToneLab LE (same manufacturer, same technology) and they both work perfectly always. I'll just give it a 9 for the plastic parts, although for the price I had it coming and shouldn't complain. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this amp was a great buy! I can make any tone I imagine in 5 minutes, with such a variety of features. Combined with some external stomp fx and maybe a treble booster or distortion for versatility, it will keep you experimenting for ever! It feels like a real amp. You don't want presets, you switch it on and turn the knobs until you like it. That's the real deal. I'd definitely buy it again if I had to, even for the full price. For the features, it's still pretty cheap. Being suspicious about simulations in the past, the Valvetronix technology was the first one to change my mind with the ToneLab, because they focus on realistic amp sims instead of packing a ton of effects with a digital distortion. So when I bought this amp I knew what I was getting. Too bad it was discontinued, I think the amp head version is still their best idea so far, even after so many years, because it feels so real, connected to your cab. I'm happy I managed to get one. It's great to play and it's a really versatile tool for my studio. // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ DelayLab 8.9 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014