AD120VT Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 10/14/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AD120VT
The AD120VT 120watt stereo combo brings together classic VOX tone with the versatility of a preamp section utilizing Korg's REMS (Resonant structure and Electronic circuit Modeling System).
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 9.2
 9.4
 8.9
reviews (3) 30 comments vote for this gear:
AD120VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 28, 2005

Features: This has got to be the most versatile amp I've ever seen. There are so many different effects. It offers you 16 different amp types, 5 different must-have modulation effects, 3 different types of delay with tap setting, 3 different types of echo, and 10 different "drives." If you do that math, thats like 7200 different possible effects! It can store up to 32 different settings in the easy-to-use banks. Each of these banks is preset with many artist influenced settings and others as well. I have an ESP F-250 guitar that I run through this and I can get just about any sound I want out of it. I'll even run my acoustic through it with my Dean Markley pickup. I can play Master of Puppets on it and sound just like the recording. This amp is also built to fit other needs. On the back there is an output jack and also a knob that allows you to change how much output power you want from the amp alone, so you don't always have to use both speakers and all 120 watts. It has a high and a low input (I'm guessing the same as active/passive inputs). I dont really have a need for these, except for when my friends come over with their guitars and wanna play on it, too. It handles two guitars just fine. One of the most useful things on this amp is the built in tuner. I am utterly enthralled with the features of this amp. It should be ranked higher than 10. // 10

Sound: My guitar has two EMG humbuckers on it but I don't think they make much of a difference. The amp can adapt to what I want. I play a little bit of everything (except country) and this amp will give me the sounds I want and more! You can get very clean sounds (they get a little distorted at really high volumes though, but that might be my guitar) and then instantly switch to massive distortion. The best thing about it is how you can get tones out of it that sound just like famous artists. I do renditions of "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Master Of Puppets," "Johnny B. Goode," "Sweet Home Alabama" and a bunch of other famous songs when I'm on the phone and my friends think I'm listening to a cd until I make a mistake. But this amp is not just to get sweet sounding tones out of. It is loud. My neighbors can hear me when I crank up the volume, and I dont live in a tight neighborhood. Theres at least 40 feet between my house and my neighbor's. Once again, I should give this amp more than a 10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp used, but it was and still is in perfect condition. Haven't had a single problem with it yet. I've hit it against the wall while moving it, but it hasnt effected it at all. I don't gig, but if I did, this would be the only amp I'd use. Overall this is a very reliable amp. And obviously durable too. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I bought this used. Best deal of my life! $488 for an amp that I could see selling for over 2000? I don't think I'd really "lose" it, but if it was ever stolen I'd find the guy/girl who did it and beat the everloving snot out of them. This amp is a must have for guitarist into many styles of music because it will fit everyone of them perfectly. I can't think of a thing I don't like about it. The only thing I'd ever replace this with would be a bigger version. I almost paid more for a Vox AD100VT which has a fraction of the greatness of this amp. I am so glad I didnt. But I was lucky enough to find a used one. The sale price on a new one of these is like $1200. The only thing that I'd add to this would be a babe-magnet so that hot girls would come wandering into my basement and fall head-over-heels for my guitaring greatness. Not really a musical feature, but who wouldnt want one of those? Well, that's about all I've got. If you're not considering one of these, at least try it out and get a taste of the heavenly tone. For the third time, it deserves more than a 10. I'd rank it at about 20 on a 1-10 scale. // 10

AD120VT Reviewed by: H_ngm_n, on january 23, 2008

Features: The amp was made in 2003, still seem solid and very nice looking. Amazing versatility, some of the best technology out there by far. Has all the ins and outs you'd expect from a high end amp, two inputs, external cabs, headphones, effects loop, and lots of and lots of effects. // 10

Sound: I play with an Epiphone Les Paul with the standard hummies in it. I play Indie rock/metal and the amp does a great job for both. The Indie tone more so than metal, but even the metal sounds great when I crank this baby up. There is a little hum with high gain, but nothing ridiculous at all. I have literally imitated 20 famous guitar tones flawlessly. This amp is really incredible. The clean channel stays clean even at high volumes, it is really gorgeous too, as glassy as you could ever want. The distortion is a tad lacking, but I feel that a nice pedal will quickly change that opinion. The on-board distortion is just slightly lack-luster. Still sounds very nice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Here is the flaw. The amp has give me problems with cutting out at random. I'll play fine for an hour and then it cuts out. Sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for 3 minutes. I read online that the tubes could be loose, or the head phone jack could be dirty, making the amp think headphones were plugged in, so I checked both, and no problems so far. Still, that worries me a good bit. But I really think I could go sleigh riding with this thing, it is so heavy and solid. It almost ripped my poor arm off. But it's so sturdy I would take it anwhere with the cover on. // 7

Overall Impression: Very good match for any blues/indie guitarist. Been playing for two years, and I own Line 6 Spider 3, Marshall MG half-stack, and a Fender Studio 85. This amp, takes the good features of all those amps, makes them even better, and puts them in one loud godly sounding combo, I really love this amp. The only complaints I have are the cutting out issue, and the distortion lacking. I think that both problems are an easy fix, I tip to the music shop to get the amp checked out, and a nice distortion pedal. Great solid amp for intermediate players, or even advanced players on a budget. // 10

AD120VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 14, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: The amp has every amp and the majority of effects you will need to get any sound you want the 2x60 watt amp is very loud indeed and is plenty loud enough for small gigs on it's own. The effects sound great and as they are built in don't cause any of the balancing issues that external stom boxes can. Also you only need one power socket to powere your amp and effects pedals! // 10

Sound: The sound is amazing, truly amazing. The amp replicates the best of guitar amps so closely that it is virtually impossible to tell them apart in a live gigging environment. THe Vox AC-30 and AC-30 TB sound the best which is to be expected but the US High gain and Blackface models are very good indeed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where the amp falls down a little... but hold on all is not lost! The amp I bougt was well gigged and had been stored in a garage. At first all seemed fine then it started making all sorts of grumbling noises and only the left side of the stereo amp was working. I took the amp apart and found that the right FX-Loop connection had a dry joint and that some of the inputs were a bit dirty. To be on the safe side I ordered all new high quality input jacks and replaced the old ones. Job done I now have a very reliable and robust amp. // 6

Overall Impression: These amps are absolutely brilliant for gigiing musicians of all sorts. If you're not an effects junky yo can get by with what is provided and have your choice of classic amps. Teamed up with the VC-12 footpedal this is an absolutely killer rig and bloody loud. I have other "All-valve" amps at home but they don't get out much now I have this beauty. If you see one of these blue amps buy it and if needs be fix it. They are true modern classics! // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ DA5 8 Guitar Amplifiers 10/24/2014