AD120VTH Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 11/09/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AD120VTH
First thing - the amp is amazing for the price. It has pretty much all the effects built in and my personal favorite is the valve od which just simply super distorts it.
 9.4
 9.8
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
AD120VTH Reviewed by: ilikekfc, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: EBAY

Features: First thing - the amp is amazing for the price, how the guy let it go for chump change is beyond me, and it came with the VC-12 foot controller that would of cost 180 quid new. The amp is most likely made in china because the foot controller is, I know the blue series of these amps were only made for a couple of years, somewhere around 2002. It has the Vox Valvetronics technology in it which I should say is amazing stuff, such tone I did not think was possible from a amp which is pretty much a solid state. It comes with everything like the headphone jack, effects loop and so on. It has pretty much all the effects built in and my personal favorite is the valve od which just simply super distorts it. As its a 120 watt amp you would think its too loud for the house but there is a great knob on the back which lets you change the watts from 2-60, 2-30, 2-15 and 2-1, you get the same sound from 2 watts as you do from 120 which is fantastic for house work. There is 2 different input sockets, one high and one low, for the different pick-ups. Another great thing is having the storage channels to save sounds you like, when you have the vc-12 it makes changing sounds so easy. // 10

Sound: The sound is outstanding, the overdrive will blow you away with the sheer power, and the tone is mind boggling. One problem I do have is the volume difference between the clean and distortion volume, the clean volume is lower because in order to get a distortion sound you need to turn the gain up but if you do that for clean it distorts. That's quite annoying but you get used to it. I have some Seymour Duncan hot rodded hum-bucker set but the JB has such a high output it crunches the clean sound. It does not make any noise. It is a massively versatile amp and it does everything I need it to do. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes, I would take it to a gig without a back up, it is a solid amp and the guy who had it before me took very good care of it, nothing has failed on it at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I have played on a AD120VT before and it was the combo so I new that it was a great amp but it still shocked me after getting my own one, if it were to get stolen I would cry for a week because I know I will not find another at that price. I absolutely love the overdrive sound, I have fallen in love with it! If you can get hold of any AD blue series amp, go for it, they are amazing, better than the chrome ones and way better than the black ones.

// 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ Tone Garage Double Deca Delay 8.4 Guitar Effects 08/05/2014