AD15VT-XL Review

8.8
 9.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
AD15VT-XL Reviewed by: EMGPWNS, on may 28, 2009

Features: Mine was made in 2008. It has 11 amp models and 11 effects, with speed and amount controls. Unlike most of the modelers, it has a single tube in the power amp. 3 band EQ, gain control, volume control, and master volume. As the name would suggest, its 15 tube-powered watts, plenty for loud bedroom practice. It has a 10 inch Vox speaker and it runs at 8 ohms. There's footswitch and recording outs on the back. I would imagine the footswitch adds several features, but I've never seen one used and can't really comment on it. Nice features, but I would expect a modeler to have these. // 8

Sound: I bought this amp because its the best sounding modeler on high gain settings. There is no noise to be heard, except on a few of the effects, which is to be expected. The amp does clean ok, but it doesn't really have a lot of sounds you can make with it as theres only one clean model. It has little headroom, probably because its 15 watts. The distortion, however, is surprisingly thick and natural sounding when used correctly. It can get a convincing Master of Puppets tone with some tweakage. Sadly, a good bit of the models are not useful as they sound digital and fizzy on anything heavier than "The Trooper". However, the Vypyrs I've played don't get tones as good, and I doubt any of the other modelers could. Bottom line, this amp is not amazing sounding, but it beats its competition in terms of tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Mine stays in its spot in my room 99% of time, and it only leaves for lessons (all of which have been at my house) and recording to my PC. It does this without problems, and I doubt it will have problems ever with this. I wouldn't be afraid of it breaking down on the road or at a gig, but it isn't loud enough to even keep up with a drummer cleanly. You should take my rating with a grain of salt because I never push it. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want a modeler that sounds the best rather than has the most features, the Vox Valvetronix line is for you. If you play mainly metal, the Valvetronix XL series is for you. This is was my first and is my only amp, so I don't have a huge point of reference. If I somehow lost it, I would probably save up for a smaller tube amp rather than buy another modeler. This amp sounds great for Metallica-ish stuff, but for extreme gain, the tone reminds me of an MG (which is bad). Also, 1 or 2 more clean models would have been nice. I also played several Vypyrs, but I chose the Vox because it sounded better. If you want a small modeler that does high gain well, get this. // 8

AD15VT-XL Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 29, 2009

Purchased from: Big Apple Music

Features: This amp was bought new, made in 2007. It has two writable channels to allow you to Switch between any two custom-set sounds, also great for saving tweaks of the 11 Amp models and 11 Effects. The two-buttom footswitch (bought separately) allows you to Switch between the two channels (button one) and bypass the effects (button two). The AD15VT-XL has a total of 8 large knobs located on the top, from left to right, they are: Amp, Gain, Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, Effect, and Master. Under the Effects knob there are two buttons and a smaller knob, the buttons are Tap Tempo and Bypass, the knob is used for setting ranges and such for individual effects. The rear of the amp has the input for the aforementioned VFS-2 footswitch and a 1/4" output. This amp has all the features I would expect from a modeler and more. I'm not much of an effects guy, so I usually just have the effects channel set to a nice compression to increase crunch and sustain. // 9

Sound: I use this amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard guitar with stock pickups, and this amp makes it sing.. One thing to be aware of, though is that this amp packs a lot of bass power, which coupled with the bass resonance of a Les Paul can be overpowering, I keep the bass EQ dialed in at around 9 o'clock at all times. I play various forms of rock, metal, jazz, and blues and this amp can match them all pretty well. If you find a preset that's close to the sound you're looking for, you can tweak it to your heart's content. The guitar's clean setting is good at low levels, but at higher levels it breaks up and moves into the realm of natural distortion, this lack of headroom is likely due to being only a 15-watt amp. The distortion presets out of the box are good, but once you dial them in to meet your taste, they can really Shine. I've managed to get many tones from dirty overdrive to very high gain distortions. This is a very good amp for hard rock and metal tones. This amp is primarily used for practice and home-recording, though the volume does get high enough to play small gigs. I've actually never turned it up all the way, but at about 3 o'clock, it's VERY loud for a 15-watt amp. This is likely due to the 10" speaker, as opposed to the 8" speaker on the base model of this amp. The sounds is great, but due to the lack of a "proper" clean sound, I'll have to mark it down. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amp for a little over two years now and I have NEVER had any problems with it. It always turns on properly, the tube never misfires like other amps I've had and amps my friends own. The inputs are solid, the electronics are reliable, and the materials are rugged. I would probably not gig this amp unless it was a small venue, but if I were to gig it, I wouldn't need a backup. This is an extremely reliable little amp. // 10

Overall Impression: As I stated before, I play various levels of Rock, Metal, Blues and Jazz and this amp can cover them all. I've been playing for about 5 years altogether, but I've only been serious about it for the past 3 years. I had actually intended to buy a Vox AD30 when I walked into the store, but I pointed out the wrong amp to the store clerk and was sent home with the AD15VT-XL. After trying out my friend's AD30 I believe I got the better amp, despite the wattage difference. I love nearly everything about this amp, but my favorite feature is probably the built-in compression effect. I use it religiously, to a point where I rarely disengage it. If this amp was stolen, I'd be crushed. Honestly I probably wouldn't buy another one (don't get me wrong, I LOVE this amp) because I'm planning to buy a halfstack soon so I would just use one of my older small amps in the meantime. However, this amp isn't perfect and due to the lack of a proper clean, I can't rate it above an 8 without feeling biased. // 8

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ AmPlug Twin 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 05/30/2014