AD50VT Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 06/20/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: AD50VT
The Vox AD50VT amp makes the pure tube sound of Valvetronix more affordable than ever! The AD50VT packs the amazingly versatile tube sound of Valvetronix into a new amp that introduces a modern twist to the traditional VOX design.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 Features: 8.7
 8.5
 8.9
reviews (33) pictures (2) 86 comments vote for this gear:
AD50VT Reviewed by: J.MitMetallica, on june 19, 2006

Features: To be quite honest, I was very dubious when I heard the sound samples on the Vox website. I was wrong. It has 11 amp models to choose from, ranging from the bluesy Black 2X12 clean-ish model to the bassy and crunchy 'Nu-metal' setting, all of which are pretty excellent. It also has 11 different effects, that (basically) include: Chorus, compression, flanger, reverb, delay, rotary speaker, tremolo and phaser. Although these are not the best effects you've ever heard, there is no doubting that it helps the player to have the effects on hand when needed, to stop you faffing around with a pedal board or batteries. It is 50W, which, even though people are always going on about 150W etc. is really pretty loud, and with adjustable output wattage on Celestion speakers, you can always Drive the tubes as hard os you want on full volume, without the decibel level to go with it. It has a headphone jack, external speaker out (very good), and a footswitch out. It also has two channels for you to store the best sounds you find, which is nice, so you don't have to fiddle around for ages with the buttons etc. There is one tube in the amplifier, which helps to get that beautiful glassy sound of Hendrix or Clapton, but also the roaring distortion of bands like AC/DC and even Metallica. Extremely versatile. // 9

Sound: There really is not much room for improvement with this amp. Considering the price, and the fact that it isn't full tube, the sounds are extremely satisfying. The clean/light bluesy gain sounds really do emulate a valve amp of old, and the distortion, even though it may not satisfy the most hardcore Godsmack fans, is indeed very decent. The only time it gets 'noisy' it with headphones, and theres not much point in that anyway, seeing as it has the adjustable output wattage. This means that unless you are very picky the noise reduction is not really necessary to use. The music styles I play range from old and new blues (B.B. King, Clapton, Hendrix, etc.) to Joe Satriani and Metallica, but also Jazz, like Pat Metheney etc. This amp can pretty much nail all of those, especially the Hendrix tones like you can find on a Vox AC-30> I was surprise at the level of quality of the Hard rock and classic rock settings, a little like Satriani's tone, but like Led Zep. and AC/DC, the crunch comes across like a wall of sound. Harmonics also come off easily. My guitar is an Ibanez Radius, with a S/S/H pickup configuration. It may be useful to take note that, although on this guitar, there is next to NO noise on the neck single coil, on my old Ibanez, which cost me 180, there was a lot of hum, so bare that in mind. The humbuckers pose no problem for noise / fuzzy-ness, unless they are really bottom of the pile. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think it is built very solidly, with a metal grate covering the speaker, and a casing all the way around that does not feel in any way flimsy, I would gig it without a backup. Not much else to say here, although I have heard that the input jack falls into the amp sometimes, but if you know this then you can tighten if when you get it, to prevent this problem. // 9

Overall Impression: Pretty great match for my style of music (see 'Sound'), with pleasing gain settings and beautiful cleans acclaimed to Vox so often. I have been playing for five years now, and I have two other amps, which are both very poor: a Fender Frontman 15G and a Marshall Micro-stack (4W), and this owns them all. I did extremely extesive research before buying this amp, so know a lot about it, so I got what I expected, just a very versatile and great sounding amp. The cliche question merits the cliche answer: If it were lost or stolen, I would get another, just because it suites my very well. I don't hate very much about it except the fact that it kinda messes up when you are using headphones, although this could just be my headphones, so don't take that too much to heart. I love the sound and the capibilities it has, although I wouldn't mind more channels that I could save, but you can't have everything! I really do think that it is the best in its price range, it beats the Line 6 Spider II hands down. And although it doesn't quite compare to a Marshall JMP-1 overall, I think there are certain things that you learn to like personally about this amp that do beat it, but those things are very much to do with the player. I chose this amp on recommendation, and 'the people' were right, if you don't have much cash, or just aren't rich enough to afford a real tube amp, but want something so close to the sound, then this is it methinks. Very good indeed. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2005

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: It's a brand new amp purchased from Guitar Center. Bought it a few months ago and its everything I expected and more! It has 11 different amp models good for any type of player. 2 channels that are footswithable and 11 different effects that can be bypassed by the footswitch as well. It has presets for each amp model so you get the perfect mode for each model you prefer. 50 watts in this bad boy is by far enough power for me, good to do gigs just about anywhere. The only problem, which isn't that big, is that you have to turn the volume up a little bit higher for the clean, and when you switch to distortion it might be a bit louder than you wanted. // 8

Sound: This amp has amazing sound for a cheap price. I opened up the back and it has a few tubes, but the whole thing isn't tubed, but it gives an amazing sound. I play with a schecter with diamond pickups and it plays beutifully, I evened played on it with my drummer's Squier, it stil gives a sweet sound no matter what. Whether I play all the way down, or pretty loud to get over my drummer, it has the same great sound no matter the level. You can pretty much play any style from country to heavy metal, and it gives superb sound all around. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I only had the amp for a few months, but I travel back and forth to my drummer's house, hauling it into and out of the car and it stil plays brand new, and it's got a metal cage in front of the speaker so you won't need to worry about a kicked in amp. Seems to me like it's a really good road amp, meant for the on the go player. // 10

Overall Impression: By far one of the best amps I've played on. My band plays metal/punk to classic rock, and this amp is great. All my friends want to play on it, and it doesn't surprise me, with a great sounding amp like this who wouldn't! I don't have any floor pedals to plug into, but it has a pretty sweet built in effects board so you don't really need one. My favorite feature on this sucker is the amp models, you can play so many different styles it's great for a jam session. The only thing I wish I had asked before I bought it was if I could get the floor switch thrown in with it, haha. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: backtothe70s, on april 08, 2006

Features: Not a good start for me and Vox, after 2 days it broked down. It was brand new (late 2005). But we talk about that later. This amp can give you as good as all sounds you want, from amazingly warm clean to metal. It has abaout 12 differnt amp models and and 2 programeble channels to save your sound(2 saves for every amp type). I cant say I missed any effects or so, there was more like to many, it was like Comp+phaser, chorus and everything. Auto-wah (not good) and reverb. The power is more than enough for me, 50watts do good for home use. I think it would do great for rehearsing with your band but 50watt is of course not enough to play a gig with. I must say it do is a bit hard to use, the problem I had was that when I saved 2 sounds on every channel I went back to play some rock, started out with some nice clean sound and then switched to the another amp style so I would get my rock tone but when I changed it, it was still clean sound coming out. What I had to do was to press the channel button for the amp to change to the saved sound I wanted. So for me it was not easy to use, kind of "clumsy." // 7

Sound: I used my '66 Fender Mustang (2 single coil) to this and since I mostly listen and play elder rock music like, Zeppelin, Black sabbath and for thar it is perfect. The amp is quiet, altough I never cranked it up but it I don't think it's loud at all. Sounds as said it can give you what you want but if your after metal sound then look at a Marshall instead, this amp don't do that really high distorted sound to good but it give you ok sound with metal but clean and rock sounds are what this amp can do better than many other valve amps that I tried. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As I started to say, the amp broke down after 2 days witch of course was so upsetting. It was somekind of very small explosion in some circuit or something that made it smell burnt and the sound just diedbut I turn it back and they said I just had some reeeeally bad luck, so I got a new one and got more time to check it out, and when I realized how hard it was to get new tone fast, came the problem. I wanted something that would be easier to use. // 6

Overall Impression: Rock music is all I need, this amp is perfekt for it, but as said it is "clumsy" I think. I've been playing for about 3 years soon and this was my first serios amp. I own nothing more than my Fender, my Line 6 Spider II 112 (yes it sounds like a crappy switch) and DigiTech Grunge distortion pedal, I got the distortion pedal to get that metal sound I wanted, the "grunge" name is more like "metal." Since I wanted something easier to play with just at home I traded the Vox for a Line 6, Line 6 can't even compare to the sound this amp can give you but Line 6 is so much easier and still delivers a good sound for me, you may call it a downbuy but I just want I good amp that I can practice and play with my friends at home. But I really think you should try this amp, it's wonderful and gives you what you need. I can't complain, that amp is well worth its money. // 8

AD50VT Reviewed by: Kevy Absolution, on september 02, 2009

Features: In September of 2008, I began my hunt for a modeling amplifier for home practice. As a player who delves into almost every imaginable genre, I found it essential to pick an amplifier that modeled many amplifier types, had many tweak-able settings, wattage adjustment, and of course, good tone. Fate brought me to the Vox AD50VT. The amplifier is discontinued and was replaced in 2009 by the VT series. This unit was built in 2008 and was one of the last off the line. Again, versatility was the reason I purchased this amplifier. From Tweed Fender models to the classic Vox AC series, Marshall half-stacks to boutique amps, this amp has them all. The variety of head styles and time periods allows a player to essentially copy any popular tone. The amp has a preset channel, a custom channel, and two user-preset channels that can be changed via a foot switch and can have any of the 11 selectable effects matched along with them. The back of the amplifier displays a wattage selector, cab line out, and headphone jack. It's great for home and practice, but loud and clear enough to use for gigging. The amp is a hybrid amp, meaning it has a tubes in the preamplifier component, but solid state transistor components in the power amplifier. This results in... // 8

Sound: ...a pretty nice sound. While it's not completely warm as a tube amp, it still screams compared to most solid state amps. Especially on high gain settings, the notes just roar. I'm playing an ESP Eclipse with Seymour Duncan JB/59s, and the tone is wonderful. However, some amp models seem better than others. The low-gain models seem almost too trebly; onboard equalization is needed. The medium gain models, such as the AC15 and AC30 to the UK Modern sound great, and then the highest gain US High Gain and Boutique models seem a little too bass-y, so again, equalization is a must. The high gain settings are also noisy. I use a Boss NS-2 suppressor, which helps greatly, but unfortunately the onboard noise suppression only helps to a certain extent without compromising sustain. The amplifier also hosts a pretty wide range of onboard rack settings, include reverb, tap delay, flanger, and chorus effects. Some of them are great, some not so much. The reverb and delay effects are nice; they sound clear, realistic, and they are easy to use. Modulation type effects, however, are pretty cheesy sounding. Good to get the general idea, but I think serious users should look to pedals. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The amp is built solidly, though mine hasn't seen too much abuse. The metal grille is solid and not flexible; the hard plastic body is pretty thick. The back is enclosed, so no worry of hooking a speaker wire on anything. I've gigged before with it, and it worked fine. Volume was pretty high, and I heard no cutting out or electrical problems. In all honesty, I see no need to ever replace this amp. It's great, and probably the best home-use amp I have ever owned. // 10

Overall Impression: So now for the overall opinion. I love this amplifier. If I could change anything, I'd make the factory equalization a little better set, because it took a little while to learn how to equalize each individual channel. Yet I still think this amplifier was worth the money. Nowadays, you could probably find one used for a decent price. If you're looking for a solid, well-built modeling amp with a variety of effects that can fit almost any situation, then you definitely should look into the Vox. // 8

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 07, 2005

Features: This is probably one the best amps I have ever played on! It has its own set of amp types so it will suit anyones style, its own effects, channels are footswitchable and it is really solid. It has a rock hard shell and metal plated front so there is no way you can damage it accidently! Because it has valve pre-amp it has a brilliant tone and general sound quality, especially for what it costs. It is still limited in comparison to others though. // 8

Sound: I have played a couple of gigs with it but have never had the need to put it on max. volume! It is so loud that the only thing that it can't really handle is large outdoor gigs which is where you would need a lot more than 50 watts! Clean and distortion do vary a bit with higher volumes but the clean channel is still clean when you turn it up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Having not had it for any number of years, I can't really comment on it reliability but it is really solid. You could stand on it and it wouldn't make any difference! // 10

Overall Impression: I personally lead indy/rock music and it suits that brilliantly but quite frankly you can play anything from folk to metal and it would still do you a lot of favors! I have a Zoom 2020 player effects unit in front of it too and that really gives it an extra bit of kick. Best feature is the built in effects. Personal favourites are auto wah and tremelo+reverb. Definately a worthwhile piece of kit for travelling bands playing pubs and village halls etc. Excellent! // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I bought my amp at christmas in 2005. I play metal, rock, some blues on my AD50 and it suits all. It has 11 different amp settings and 11 different effects including flanger, reverb, delay, tremolo and autowah. It has a tap setting with which you can set your own tempo for each effect. The amp only has 2 channels which is a bit of a downside if you play various genres in a band situation or if you use multi-effects in a song. The footswitch is simple and easy to use, switch 1 switching the channel and Switch 2 turning effects on and off, which can be a bt annoying when using an effect on one channel and then wanting to change to the normal sound on another (i.e. you have to turn the effects off and the change the channel). I use this amp to play at smaller venues such as pubs etc. this amp certainly has enough power for these gigs, I even used it in a school hall for a gig and it was brilliant, didn't have to mic it up at all. It also has an external out socket which I assume can be used for wiring up to a cab? This amp has been excellent at Live performances as well as recording, the weight of it is off-putting to some but it is well worth the extra effort. // 9

Sound: I mainly use the nu metal, uk modern and AC30 settings for my set. I mainly use a Jackson RR3 through it and play mainly metal and also rock and blues. My guitar is fitted with Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, (JB TB4 at bridge and Jazz SH2N at neck), and through this amp handles all styles well. The Sound is very good at all volume levels including the distortion at low volumes. The amp has a range of sounds from a bluesey sound to a hard hitting distorted sound. I play music from the likes of Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Metallica and Avenged Sevenfold and I can get whatever sound I like from this amp. I personally prefer the UK Modern setting for rhythm work and the nu-metal amp setting for lead and solo work and the Ac30 as a clean channel. All in all you can get whatever sound you want from this amp and it is great for musicians Who play a diverse range of genres. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amp for nearly 2 years and not once have I had a problem with it. I have ran through the rain with it, left it in the van overnight and even knocked it once or twice bringing it up and down the stairs and there isnt the slightest bit of deteriaration. The metal mesh at the front is still in perfect condition! Built to last, this is one amp I think I will keep for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: This suits my playing style of a modern metal scene spectacularly. I have had comments from band members and even people of the older generation saying how good the sound is and its range of diversity. I've been playing for over 2 years and it has been superb through my learning and performing. I have no regrets from buying this amp and I would definately buy it again if it was lost or stolen. I love it's ability to cover a range of genres without having to have dozens of effects pedals and constantly having to change settings to get the perfect tone, it does it for you. The only thing I would change about this amp is so it could have at least 4 channels rather than just 2. But overall a brilliant amp for any guitarist of any magnitude. I loved using it learn and I still love playing through it now. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2005

Features: The AD50VT is a digital modelling amp so as you can expect it has lots of features: 11 amp models ranging from AC30TB to US HiGain models, 11 effects including compressor, phaser and auto-wah. I found that most of the effects are perfectly good enough. The foot switch has two switchs, one to switch between to programable channels and one to bypass the effects or switch to manual mode (what you see is what you hear). This amp has one valve in the preamp which means it can make valve sounds. It has a line/phone output and a 8ohm speaker output. It can go very loud, I have never gigged it my self but it seems perfectly oloud enough in practises. // 8

Sound: You can use this amp to play probably any style imaginable. I mainly play indie rock which is easy to get out of one of 11 amp models. Most of the amp models will play cleanly if you turn down the gain and then over drive when you turn up the gain, just like on a fully tubed amp. This amp is really good if you want to play a variety of different styles but also if you only play one then you can use this to model the amp that you would like to use (but cannot afford) as this sounds extremely extremely good for only 220! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this amp very long but it looks extremely solid and having only one preamp tube means that it will probably not need servicing that often and wont cost very much. // 10

Overall Impression: I personaly think this is the best amp you could buy in the sub 350 market! I would certainly replace it if it was stolen. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: JB Mate, on april 11, 2005

Purchased from: Revolver

Features: New model. I think this amp was made in 2004. Very versatile amp. I play a bit of everything but mainly classic rock. It really suits a British rock style (Led Zeppelin, U2, Pink Floyd, Queen, Rolling Stones, Oasis etc). Not sure about the channels. Doesn't have an OD channel but has a fantastic sounding valve distortion. Footswitch and headphones jack with external speaker jack as well. I wouldn't mind a vintage Vox cloth cover but the metal guard is good as well. Maybe a few more combinations like flanger and delay but nothing a footswitch cannot fix. It has a handy power setting where you can change power input but I don't really use it often. // 10

Sound: Currently I have a Fender Telecaster with one single coil in the bridge and a Gibson humbucker in the neck. I also occastionally use a SSS Stratocaster. The amp sounds fantastic with both of these. The amp models means that you can explore different settings to accomodate nearly any type of guitar. As stated before, I play classic rock and it sounds great. It can also handle some heavier sounding stuff as well. It has an automatic noise reduction which is fantastic if your guitar gives off a little noise. It is great for distorted stuff as well but if you are after a metal amp, it would be ok but there are better amps for metal out there. I can get nearly any sound. As I stated previously, it is great for British rock like Pink Floyd, Queen, Franz Ferdinand etc. It takes time to get use to the settings but once you master them, you can get nearly any sound. When volume is right up, it keeps a great crisp clean sound without much feedback. It is not a full valve amp but I believe it has valve distortion so it has a classic distorted sound when the gain is turned up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Have only had it for 2 months but I have not had any problems with it. It has 50 watts of grunt with valve assisted distortion and I would use this at a gig without a backup. Amp has not broken down so far (touch wood)! // 10

Overall Impression: I enjoy my classic/Brit/punk rock and it is a fantastic amp for this style of music. I have been playing guitar for 10 years. If stolen or lost I would buy exactly the same amp as it is in my price range. I can't believe that Vox are selling this for AUD$899 retail. The could easily be selling this for over $1000. I would have liked a traditional Vox cloth to cover the speaker but the metal guard on the other hand protects the speaker from possible damage. I enjoy the delay feature. There are strength and feedback settings for it and you can get the slight delay for Heavy rock sounds to the strong high feedback delay that U2 use. I compared it to the Roland Cube 60 and the Fender Princeton 650. IMO, the Vox was easily the best out of these three due to it is a valve-state amp compared to solid-State. A fantastic amp for a guitarist not looking to spend a massive amount. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 23, 2005

Purchased from: Woodshed

Features: This amp was made in 2005 so it is very recent. The type of music I play is classic rock like Eric Clapton, Kiss, Led Zeppelin, etc. I also play Black Sabbath and Guns N' Roses and this amp suites me perfectly it has 12 amp types and 2 programmable channels. It has 11 effects including auto wah, delay, reverb and you can change the speed parameters of each. It has a headphone jack. // 10

Sound: I have two guitars a Fender Strat and I also own an Ibanez RG-520, and sounds good on both except sometimes on the Strat I get a bit of buzz but it goes away if you change the pickup selector. I play this in my room and in living rooms etc. With this amp you can make just about any sound you can think of. The clean is very full and rich however on full blast you start to hear some distortion (not much though) and the distortion is also amazing on full. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that I can definatley depend on this amp although it is new I would say that it is very durable. In a gig I would definatley play without a backup. Because this amp is so new it has never broken down, however I don't expect it to. // 10

Overall Impression: Again I play alot of classic rock and some heavier stuff and it is a very good match. I have been playing for about 2.5 years and I also own a Marshall MG10CD for smaller places. If it were lost/stolen I would definately buy it again. The thing I like most about this amp is that it is so amazing for so cheap, I also love all the different amp types and effects. I compared it to some bigger Marshalls and s Line 6 II Spider and I would say this one takes the cake! // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: Nederful, on august 29, 2005

Features: This amp is awesome. This can perform any type of music really well as it has eleven realistic amp models, and 11 uni/combination effects. It has reverb, delay, flanger, tremolo, auto-wah, and many more. Two footswitchable channels for your clean and dirty. Convenient line/headphone jack for home recording or late-night practice. I use this amp in my basement and it definetly has a lot of power. Oh yeah and it sounds just like a real tube amp. // 10

Sound: I use my Squier but at the store I played an Epiphone SG and it sounded really good. I like to play a lot of punk rock and some hard rock and it sounds really great. There are hardly any irritating noises while playing. The variety and different sounds you can get are almost endless and can suit many styles of music. The clean can be somewhat distorted with high gain but it can sound good. Distortion is amazing too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would defenitely depend on this. This thing looks like it is built to last and to withstand anything. I would never gig with out a backup tho. It's kind of hard to judge this because I've had it for a month. // 8

Overall Impression: This thing sounds great and looks awesome too. If it were stolen I would definetly buy it again. I love the fact that you don't have to get a lot of pedals becasue the effects are built in. // 8

AD50VT Reviewed by: sotoonfire, on october 30, 2006

Purchased from: Long And Mcquade

Features: There are many different types of sounds to get out of this amp, but once you find your sweet spot, remember it, because mine changes all the time. Once you play with it and get to know the model it seems like there's too much the amp can do. It's true, it's very versatile, but I wish I had gone with a Fender. There are two memory channels but the channel pedal is sold seperatly. For each different effect (11) you can change them around (too many possibilities). It has enough power but it's sometimes nice to have some head space. Playing with drums is possible, but you've got to make it full blast. // 7

Sound: I've still got the squir starter pack guitar, but if you like the Strokes style, then use any Fender model with comp and treble a little high and bass and middle-medium. It suits me well, it can do many sounds, I don't think there's any sound it can't make. It does have the ugly feedback, but I don't care, you can't hear that while your playing. The clean channel is very nice, it's smooth, and I think it could be used by a pro. The distortion can go from solo distortion to heavy metal distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's been going back and forth from my moms and dads house, but no scratches, no change on the sound, and it hasn't been dropped. It hasn't done anything crazy, it was well made, I think. The reliablitly and durability is quite good for the month I've had it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alt/rock and pop/rock, it does good for those two. I've had the amp since sept 28th. I wish that I didn't get this amp because there's too much versatility that it's overwhelming. Just make sure if you're going to buy it, to play it more than just once test it, and others out before you make a decision. I'd get a Fender or a Crate amp, they're less versatile, but you don't need al these effects. They're cool but they get boring. I love the quality, and the many different sounds it carries, but I hate the fact that there's too many possibilities. I wish it came with the channel swithing pedal, but tough luck. It was good for the price but, if you're the kinda guy/girl who likes to play loud and not have to make decisions on how it's gonna sound, then don't get this amp. If you need the effects and the versatility then get it. But it's just not worth it. // 7

AD50VT Reviewed by: bpas41, on february 14, 2008

Sound: Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Peavey Raptor. Pedals: MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive, DigiTech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Boss Chorus Ensemble, Budda Wah Wah. This amp when on a clean sound does not have any distortion. It has a variety of distortions from heavy metal to a more light blues-ish distortion. Be careful though you get a little bit of a humming if you have too many effects. The Amp has a great tube sound. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is always dependable that is why I have one and I got one for my older brother. I have never need to take this amp in for a repair and I probably never will. I haven't played any other gig's other than at my church and usually our rhythm guitarist isn't their so if you count that as a gig then yea I do use it for gigs. This amp is extremely reliable and durable. I have never had any problems with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music. For example I do recordings sometimes on fridays with my friends band and they are a blues band. Every other weekend I jam with my brother and we play heavy metal. Then on tuesdays I have my old guitar teacher over and we play classic rock and southern rock. Then on Wednesdays and Sundays I go to my church and play christian rock. You can get so many varieties out of this amp it is amazing. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 18, 2008

Features: In each category the first, and most important, point I'll reiterate is that this amp only costs $349.99. The features are really good. 11 amp models that are all above average, you can find a usable tone on each. No throw-aways like some of the modeling amps with 32 or 64 models. The EQ changes with each model. You can save two of your tones. 3 if you count manual mode. A great feature of the 50-watt model is the closed back. A lot of people underestimate how much that improves the sound quality of combo amps. Much better than open back amps. That's the reason I bought the 50 watt'er instead of the 100 (open back). Now the effects. The really nice thing about these is that you get 3 parameters for each one. That's way better than Line 6. Each effect is very tweakable. The value here is that none of these are throw-aways either. This makes them usable. Now the tube. The great thing Vox did here was not make the tube a throw-away like Marshall did with the AVT. Vox uses it in the pre and power amp depending on your chosen model. The Valvetronix is the only hybrid amp to do that. It makes a world of difference. Bonus feature: Power setting on the back allows you to keep amp volumes (channel and master) cranked up but cuts the power. You can set it from 1-50 watts. I've really liked that. 50 tube watts is way too loud for the house. My only disappointment with features is you can store only two tones and the footswitch isn't included. It'll run you $30 and I recommend you get one. Button 1 switches between your two stored channels and button 2 toggles the effects on and off. A great feature is that Vox lets you Switch button two to toggle manual mode on and off. That way you can set your manual settings on another tone you like then the footswitch basically gives you 3 channels of stored settings. If you need more than three channels for any show then you're playing in a cheesy cover band and you should quit right away. // 8

Sound: I've spent over 100 hours with the 11 models and the effects. I really think all 11 are usable models but every guitarist has a tone that they're looking for. I really think no matter what you like you could find it with this amp. I've used it with single coil and humbucker guitars. Even mexi-strats and epi les pauls. Both guitars sound great with this amp. As I said before the tube really gets used on this thing. You can here it in the clean channel which, especially with a strat, gets really chimey tube tone. The array of overdriven models get that thick creamy overdriven tube tone. You know what I'm talking about. By the way, don't forget, this thing costs less than $400. Will this sound just like a high end Marshall, Fender, Mesa, or even Vox? No. Of course not. With that said, I could record some demos right now using this $350 amp and a $2500 Marshall JVM and I guarantee you wouldn't know the difference. Would I recommend you don't buy the Marshall? Of course not. It's the king. The thing is, if you're reading this and considering the Vox Valvetronix then you're not in the market for a Marshall anyway. At this cost you'd be comparing this to Marshall and Fender's solid state stuff and it blows those away. Not even close. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's actually got some durability features I love. No pesky cloth on the front that can get easily ripped when you're dragging it around. You know what I mean. The metal grate is built like a tank. Every corner comes with a thick plastic protector. That is very nice as well. I haven't had any problems with it and I've used it as much as I can. I'd say 3-4 hours per day, 4-6 days per week. No problems yet. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, blues rock, southern rock, classic rock, and classic metal. I play SRV, Hendrix, Cream, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera, Ozzie (Randy and Zakk), Rush. In other words, a wide array of music. I have been satisfied with the tones I can find on this amp from Pride and Joy through Master of Puppets. Have I reminded you lately that this thing costs $350?! At under $400 I really don't think this amp has a competitor. I haven't found one. It's not a high end tube amp but if $400 is your budget you will not be disappointed with this amp. I will always own one. // 9

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 03, 2010

Features: This amp rocks! If you get it dailed in just right. While good tube amps (in my opinion) sound amazing in any set up (i.e. EQ, gain level, volume, etc), the Valvetronix takes some adjusting. Sure full tubes sound better with different configurations, but I haven't found a good* tube amp yet that doesn't sound good the first time I've played it. The Valvetronix though takes some taming. When I got mine I spent the better part of an entire day just EQing it and tinkering with it until I found a sound that suit me well. It started off by going through the models. Some are good, and some sound fake. The ones I like, and designed my sond around was the Ac15, AC30, and the US HiGain. I occationally use the Tweed, and the Black, but not that often. But I will get into their sound in the next section. These models sound the best to me. But it still took me forever to get an EQ that I liked. Once I got it EQed, I found very little versatility/leeway for minute tone changes for whatever I'm playing. But that's fine, I just adjust the guitar settings to get the desired tone. As you will find in the next section, I am very picky with my sound. Once I got the tone down, I started with the effects. I am a big fan of Vintage effects. Jimi Hendrix is my hero when it comes to effects. I like effects, just as long as it's not too gaudy. This is not the amp to use if you are looking for good effects. The only one I ever use is the reverb. It's the easiest, and frankly hard to screw up. Even still it's obnoxious to set. For those of you who work on cars, it's like trying to rebuild/tune a 4 barrel Quadrajet. It sounds good on paper, but it's far too finicky. There are several adjustments to form the shape and size of the reverb (ie room size, room length) which is good. But there are 3 adjustments for it in 1 knob. To fine tune it, you have to hold down a button while you turn the knob, which is so unbelievably annoying. But once you get it set, it's pretty good. (Sound familiar Quadrapuke owners?) The other effects I just don't use. They are just silly. They all sound fake. It's almost as if Korg threw them in as product placement. (Since Korg as contracted to build parts of the amp). Since I always use pedals for most of my effects, because I'm usually messing with some of them in mid song, the built in effects just add weight. Thankfully there's a bypass so you aren't forced to use them. I will say though, that it is definatley powerful. 50 watts may not sound like a ton, but the shear volume you get out of it is quite impressive. The adjustable wattage on the tube is also a very nice feature. It's not just a decibel knob, it's one of the most important factors in my tone, so that's a definate plus. That is what makes the whole amp feel like a full tube amp. The difference in a few watts is very noticeable. So in summary, this amp has features I use everyday and are amazing, and some that I will never use beacause they're just dumb. If I could I'd get this same amp without the effects, and without some if the models. // 9

Sound: Here's the most important section, but also the most subjective. Don't take my word for the sound if you are looking to get a new amp. Find one and try it out for yourself. I am completely OCD when it comes to sound. I have spent my whole life tuning my ears for sound. My sound is a unique blend of Vintage warmth and new crunch. My main inspiration for tone comes from Hendrix, who was the king of tone who wasn't afraid to try something so completely crazy it changed the face of music; Stevie Ray Vaughan, Who's tone is raw, yet refined, and completely unique and unmistakable to his style; David Gilmour, who in my opinion wins the award for the prettiest sound to ever come from a Strat (listen to Comfortably Numb studio AND Delicate Sound of Thunder (or just the whole concert); also On The Turning Away sutdio AND Pompie). Others include Eric Clapton, who's old-style blues sound made him a legend; and Pete Townsend, who's sound is flat and bland at the same time completely vibrant. If you haven't noticed all of these people played Strats. For me, the Strat is the quintessential guitar. By far the most versatile in terms of sound. There are so many things you can do to a strat to form your own sound in the most minute way. It's why my sound is as unique as it is. Because I built my guitar to be unique. It's an ash strat that I built from the ground up. Maple neck, 3 Seymour Duncan CCS-1's. This, in combonation with all of the other adjustments and settings that I'm not going in to, makes the sound very unique. So what does this have to do with the amp? This amp is almost a perfect match for the guitar. Being single coils, the noise is abundant. Also the fact that it's usually plugged into a dirty power source, makes it even noisier. But it's not too bad. Most of it can be compressed out. But I don't like to reduce noise too much because it comprimises tone. I learn to live with the noise to keep the natural tone of the guitar. I use very little compression, just to get rid of the noise caused by other power sources. The noise (to a certain extent) can actually go to help the tone. When I'm on the HiGain setting, if I play very softly, there's a little bit of bleed from the noise, but it's not horrible. For that I kick the compression up a bit. The stock tube is not my first choice. I changed to a groove tube 12ax7 after the first week. The change was small enough to be almost completely undetectable to the untrained ear, but big enough that I was able to help fix some of the problems I had with the original tube. The HiGain is the one I use the most. It's a very distorted sound. One thing to remeber is that it's not a full tube, so if you crank the gain up, it just gets heavier. I have the highs cranked all the way up, the mids almost gone and the lows about 1/4 up. Sounds extreme, but the amount of mids and lows in this model are just too much. The gain is set at about half. This sounded good to me, but then I started adjusting the wattage. Once I did that I found the perfect setting that knocked the wind out of me when I started playing. It was beautiful. The highs just scream, especially up the neck. The low single notes are perfectly crisp. Even at the neck pickup, my ears bleed from the highs. It is amazing. Rhythm and chords also sound good. Though not as good as the soloing. The problem is, is that there's still just a bit much distortion. It is a little muddy. But it's something I have come to terms with because no amp is perfect. If I could have more user presets available I'd have the same thing on a different channel, just tweeked a little so it's not so muddy and distorted. I can live with it, but sometimes I have a little episode when I play chords. But the sound does change slightly given the conditions (I.e. What's plugged in where on the circuit and what else is on in the room). At times it reminds me too much of a modern sound, which is the last thing I want because I hate most new music such as metal, and hard rock. But then at times it is proud and majestic. (I think the mood I'm in has an effect also) My style is classic and bluesy. In my opinion, you will never be a good guitarist if you do not truely appreciate and understand the blues. You don't have to like it, but you do have to understand the importance. I love the blues, and although it's not what I write, I love playing and listening to the blues of all generations. My style comes from all of the legendary bands of our time. I try to include a little of all legends into my music. Not just rock or blues legends, but jazz legends of all genres, and even classical. It's my goal to make music that is classic, jazzy and bluesy, but do it in such a way that it fits in with modern music. I could go into my thoughts on music writing and recording, but this is a amp review, not a philosophy class. The other models I use are the AC30 and the AC15. The 2 are very similar, but also vastly different. They are made to sound like the old style 30 watt and 15 watt Vox amps from way back when. The 30 sounds great as long as I'm using the neck pickup or the neck-mid. The other pickups just don't pick up enough tone for this model. They sound tinny and cheap even after making the EQ fat and muddy. But the neck and neck-mid sound fantastic. Especially when you play with the volume and tone on the guitar. It makes for a good mellow blues/jazz tone that is best achieved on a semi-hollow or hollow guitar. It sounds great on this solid body. I do like the AC15. Just for kicks I cranked the amp volume all the way up and the gain all the way up on this model to see if it would distort like a the original full tube AC15. And it did very well. The distortion wasn't very crisp, but it had that Vintage sound to it, the same type that was heard way back in the day when the original artists cranked their amps to get distortion. And with a little bit of extra low end, it turned into a fairly ferocious animal. It wasn't like the HiGain that was made to be loud and proud, but more like the kind of distortion heard in the E flat minor chord of Voodoo Child. The low end sounded like a full tube amp, but once I started soloing in the high notes it ceased to sound like a full tube. The distortion became rounded and lack-luster. Bad sustain, even with my guitar that will hold a note until the middle of next week. But with the volume cranked, I could see how it could be used for a Vintage solo. All in all, the sound of this amp, with a little fidgetting sounds fantastic. I could get into the effects, but then I'll have to explain my entire recording philosiphy, and I'm not going to do that because a.)I could write an entire book on the subject; b.)I'm not going to reveal all of my secrets, just like I didn't revel a whole great deal about my guitar. But if you want my opinion on the sound, it sounds great for me. I think for the average player who just wants to jam, this amp is a good amp to get. If you are as OCD as I am, you kinda need to know what your doing to make this amp sing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable! I have taken it up the side of very a tall and steep hill to a building on the top and dropped it. It rolled down a little and hit a huge rock. I picked it up, dusted it off and it was fine! The tube was even fine, which is a straight up miracle, because that's usually what goes, and I didn't have any spares on me at the time. // 10

Overall Impression: I purchased this amp in 2006. I took a gamble on it because I have a very classic style. I wanted a tube amp that I could afford. But after reading into this I discovered that it's not a full tube. But I got it anyway thinking that, hey at least it still has a tube in it. I figured if I didn't like it I could sell it and get another one. Let me just start by saying WOW! This amp blew me away at first. I loved the sound I was getting out of it for years. But then I finally was able to afford a full tube amp and got another vox. (I love Vox). After playing it I could definatley hear a very distinct difference in sound, obviously. The tube amp, to get it to scream those eardrum-piercing highs that you hear from many of the classic players, it involved cranking it to the limit and shake the whole house down with volume, not that that's a bad thing. It's just that noise ordinace fines and neighbor complaints get old after a while. So I started playing with the sound of the Valvetronix and completely revamped my sound. I must say that after fidgetting with the tone of this and changing the tube, I have turned this thing into a completely new beast. It's all in the wattage adjustment on the back. I found a sweet spot on mine that really makes those highs crack open your ear drums and pour in the sweet sound of sexiness and awe. Once you get it dailed in, you have yourself one of the greatest sounding amps you will ever own, and you won't get any more noise ordinance fines either. The effects loop is kind of a joke. The verb is fine but annoying to set. But I just use pedals. Most of the others are very clearly digital effects that just make the tube sound sound ridiculous. For a hybrid amp, even for a full tube amp, I'd say this thing sounds amazing. It's one of my favorite amps, and it's the amp I use when going into the studio. There are times when I just want a good old tube amp and crank it up to 11, but for the most part I love this amp. My style was molded by the legends who played my favorite guitar: the Strat. Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, David Gilmour, and Mark Knopffler to name a few. I built my own strat that is much like the originals, even made out of ash, wtih an all maple neck, and let me be the first to say, strats and Vox go together like peanut butter and jelly. Not to say that it doesn't go well with other guitars. It's just not my style. There are tons of other guitarists that I didn't mention that have influenced my playing. Just not my tone. // 9

AD50VT Reviewed by: kcfshorty, on december 27, 2005

Features: This amp is AMAZING! It has 11 different amp models that give you soft bluesy sounds to powerful crunches. It has two programmable channels and a load of effects ranging from auto wah, to chorus, and reverb. It is so versatile and it suits me well. I play a lot of Beatles and indie stuff as well as Zeppelin and AC/DC, so I needed something that was going to be versatile and quality and this thing is just great. I am in a band, and my old amplifier just couldn't match up to my friends drum set, which is kinda sad. I went out and bought this one and it has more then enough power. // 10

Sound: I have a standard stratocaster and my old amp wasn't doint it justice, but this thing makes it sound great. The sound quality is fantastic. Unlike my last amplifier the clean channel is clean through and through. I specifically checked the clean before I bought it to make sure that at high volumes it wouldn't sound like shit, and I was surprised to find that it remained soft and clean even when turned up to extremely high volumes. The only problem is that when I switch the pickup settings sometimes it makes a soft fuzzy noise on some of the settings. It doesn't take away from the sound and you can barely hear it, so it doesn't bother me at all. The distortion is good, it's not amazing but it's powerful enough. If you played heavy metal this amp probably wouldn't suit you. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for a day so I haven't really seen how dependable it is. But so far its worked flawless I bought it off the floor at guitar center so it had its fair share of playing, and it sounds great now. So I'm positive it will hold up. If I were gigging I wouldn't think twice about having a back up, you just won't need it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of stuff and it works great, as I said. I've been playing for a year now, and I wanted something a step up from what I had. This thing is like 5 steps up. If someone stole this thing I would hunt them down and gut them with a nail file and if I couldn't get it back I'd go out and buy one just like it. I love the sound quality and the versatility, my favortied feature would be the preset amp models which are amazing. I compared to other amps in this price range, and their was no comparrison, this thing is great! // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: Ka$h, on june 20, 2006

Features: I don't know when this amp was made but it's clearly a new model. The AD50VT is a great amp! I was hoping for more of a "dirtier" sound. This amp will not provide any hardcore/metal/etc. all the heavy stuff. For cleans this amp is awesome. This amp has twp channels and you can Switch through them you can save your program to the amp but only two. There is a headphone jack for whatever you wanna do. I wish this amp had some more "dirtier" sounds so I could fulfill my needs but its ok for that much its still a great amp. There are about 11 amp models and 11 effects. I realy don't use all of them I just pick out a good clean one and a good distortion one. I'm using this amp in my bedroom and wow I cant even turn it up lol it knocked my acoustic guitar to the floor (thnak God it's still ok). Yeah this thing is loud! I think it has a tube its like a hybrid I don't know lot of controversy on it. Also this model exclusively comes with a Celestion speaker. // 9

Sound: I run my crappy starcaster which I got from costco but it sounds pretty nice anyways. It has all single coild and meh like I said it sounds ok. Cleans come out nice the dirty stuff aint all that. For the person who is into cleans this is thier amp. I realy dont get the is it noisy but it's loud, this amp has 11 dif. amp models as stated. I haven't had the chance to turn it up to see if the sound would crack up yet. Distortion as also stated is mediocre. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very very dependable. It has I think a metal grill protecting the front. And yeah its pretty heavy about 50 pounds I think. I would definitly use it at a gig its my onle amp. This amp has never gave me trouble and I doubt it ever will. // 10

Overall Impression: I really don't know if I got the right or wrong amp I was debating between this and the Roland Cube. I thought I have single coils so might as well go clean because I wont be getting a guitar for a while. This is a so-so match for me. I am like at 7 or 8 months of experience but yeah it's a great amp for a beginner. I wish I would have tried this amp and the Cube before I bought this. If it were lost or stolen I really don't know I would probably go get a Cube just because I would want to try something else. I love how loud it is all the amp models and effects. I dislike the fact that it doesnt have a good distorion model to suit me. I love the nu-metal it sounds awesome. I have compared ot it the cube and well this one won because of more map models more effects and the hybrid factor. I chose this because of the awesome cleans I like jazz so yeah. All I wish is that it has a better distortion model and this would be the perfect amp. // 9

AD50VT Reviewed by: JD7, on june 28, 2006

Purchased from: Turra Music

Features: Well, from what I had heard, this amp was going to be good. I only had to wait 2 days for delivery from NSW to Vic, which, in my mind is pretty good. As soon as I got it, I rook it out of the box, had a wiff. Man, I plugged my Ibanez GRX20 in, and started fucking around with it. Then I calmed down, and sctually read the manual, and that helped me a fair bit, it tells you what each effect does, and what each amp model was built for. But it has 11 different amp models, and 11 different effects. It's power is more then satisfactory, it had a dial on the back so you can control it's power from 0.15 watts to the full 50 watts. So it's good enough for in your room, or at a gig. // 9

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez GRX20 with this, and although the guitar is pretty shitty, this amp makes it sound great! I play all styles, but mainly hard rock and a bit of metal, and the UK '70s amp model does them both beautifully! It is never noisy as long as you have it set right for the enviroment. The amp can make almost any sound, although the nu-metal setting isn't that great. The clean channel is what you make it, you can have it distorted if you want, just turn the gain up or down, and all setting sound thier best at full volumes. And the distortion, dear Satan I was in love! It is so great, it can be brutal or weak, whatever your song, it's beautiful! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, I've had this amp for about amonth, and it's still great, but that's what I expect. I can't really rate it, but I think it'll last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this amp is great! I got rid of my crappy IBZ 10G for this, and I'll never go back, this amp is 50X what the IBZ could ever be. I bought this amp online, and I was scared because I didn't try it out, I wouldn't get what I wanted. But I was pleasently surprised. If it was stolen or lost (I'm not sure you could lose this) I would enforce my warranty. I love everything about this amp. This nothing I hate. If you don't want any effects, you can just override them, almost everything is a press of a button. This is amp was well worth it's price! I'll never go back. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: sempri_fi, on july 15, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This amp was made in 2006 and I got it bran spanking new with out of the box freshness. It is basicly two amps intertwined in a ton of technical jargon. It has 1 12AX7 tube in it, it is used as a second preamp to the dsp moddeling Vox uses, then it puts the signal through an effects chip with a ton of effects then back through the other half of the tube as a poweramp before shiping the whole signal off to a mostly transperent solid state power amp. It has 4 channels: a factory preset mode of each amp type, the manual mode which is just what the knobs say they are and two user presets that can be saved to the amp (the two user presets are footswichable).I use this amp to play blues, rock, folk, AC/DC style metal and classic rock and it sounds good through all of them. It has an 8 ohm extension speaker out and a line headphone jack. I wish it had a setting that was just the Vox AD50VT sound because it has no real sound of its own, and I wish it had an actuall tube power amp in it. I never use the noise reduction because it steals too much tone but works great. // 9

Sound: I use it with a Schecter Omen 6 with dual Gibson burstbucker pros, I play a ton of blues and classic rock and it sounds pretty good with what I play. Sometimes if I run my tubescreemer as a boost the mids can get a little muddy, proper EQ fixes this though. It seems to not have a ton of noise problems but the high gain settings are a little noisey but that's to be expected. This amp can make any sound it wants becides deth metal. This is because the distortion isn't heavy enough and it doesnt get enough bottom end for the super muddy sort of sound which is a good thing. And one really cool feature is the clean does not distort when at high volumes, at full volume the tube does saturate and create some very good sounding distortion but other than that its clean until eleven. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've opened mine up and I have to say its built like a tank. It has 1 inch thick plywood holding it all together and some very thick mdf as well. And it has a metal grill so basicly you could smash your guitar into it and it would still play fine. It does require a new 12A 7 tube every couple of years but that's like 20$ so not that big of a deal. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a perfect match for everything really, I play mostly blues and classic rock though and it sounds golden. I've been playing for 2 years now and I own upwards of 2000$ in gear, I've been playing piano for about 9 years so I took up guitar pretty fast. I wish I had asked the sales person to play through it and take me through its paces so I didn't have to read the manual so closely but thats how I learn. and if it were stolen I would go find the guy Who did it and kill him and his family, then buy another. I love the moddels and I hate the models because they were made for single coils so some of the models need some tweaking for humbuckers. I love the reverb effect, it sounds very convinceing for dsp and has plenty of tweekable options like high freq dampening. I was going to buy a Peavey Valveking but this sounds pretty good and a valveking requires the normal tube amp mantenence. I wish it had an effects loop and another tube to use as a power amp to get the unique tube preamp poweramp interaction. Overall a great amp for the money totally worth every penny. // 9

AD50VT Reviewed by: jamie m, on july 18, 2006

Features: This amp is awsome. I play metal mostly and it sounds great. It has two channels. It doesn't come with a footswitch though. It has a headphone jack too. There are 11 amp modles, boutique cl, black 2x12, tweed 4x10, ac15, ac30tb, uk70, uk80, uk modern, numetal, us higain, and boutique od. I use the numeatal mostly. It also has 11 effects aouto wah, compressor, compressor-phaser, compressor-chorus, chorus-delay, chorus-reverb, flanger-reverb, tremelo-reverb, delay, and reverd. I don't use the compressor-phaser because I think it sounds stupid but the rest of it it is cool. I use it at practice and my room. It's also a tube amp. // 9

Sound: I use an ESP LTD EC-50 with LH-100 pickups and it sounds great. It suts my style great. It really has 12 effects, It has noise reduction and ther isent any, even when the gain is turned all the way up. the clean sounds really good and so does the distortion. The clean is distorded a little an the numetal or us higain setting but all you have to do swich to a different amp setting and it's fine. The distortion is great. On my old amp I had to use a ditortion pedal. But this one is just fine without it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: this amp is completly dependable. I have heard stories about the input falling into the amp but it seems sturdy. I would use it at a gig without a back up. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play metal and this amp suit it well. I've been playing adout a year and a half, I own a ESP LTD EC-50 a beringer guitar and amp and this Vox blows the beringer out of the water. I would but another on if it were stolen I love the distortion opn it some of the effects and amp modles I dont really care for. I compared it witha rouge amp but I found this one and bought it couse the other one looked like it wouldn't be as good and it had effects. I do wish it had a second input though. // 9

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 03, 2006

Features: The features, yeah what can I say, 11 amps and 11 effects. The amp types are 2 Vox types the AC30TB and AC15. There is some Fender stuff a Blackface en Tweed, and also some serious Marshall 3 types a JCM-800 and a JCM-900 and a newer model. And somekind of Metal amp. There are some more. About the effects that are builed in, I am not a guy that's using them alot I use them sometimes when I am fooling around in home or practice room. I like the auto wah for the hendrix voodoo chile intro, just for fun, some delay is handy also some chorus, rotary speaker and some reverb and comp is there. There are technical 11 effects but not holy true, because some effects keep returning in combination with a another effect, like chorus/reverb but you also got a chorus and reverb as single effect. I like the amp types because, when I first got it it helped me great with finding a new sound that was improving my old amp (Peavey Special 130) and about the effects, just for fun for me. I wont have to buy some. You can change the thickness or BPM with a button. It also got a knob on the back to Switch to diffrent volume settings. So practicing in home can be quiet, I prefer above this a headphone. Because its not overcoming my heavey strum. When I play with out it. If I play with out headphone at home I set it on 12 o'clock sometimes 15 o'clock. Vox made this feature in order to set your master fully up where ever you are so the valves remains a nice quality sound. Also I like the channel switch you can store your made presets. // 10

Sound: I use on this amp my Les Paul Ultra from Epiphone all stock with the Alnico classic pickups. It fits my style and that is classic rock and mainly punk (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Misfits) I love the UK80 (preset) because that is the emulation of a JCM800 and that is what Johnny Ramone got at the last ramones gigs. It's still my own sound influenced by Johnny. It's not noisy at al it gots a noise reduction so tweak him some higher with lots of gain. In clean I don't do much clean sometimes on some amp settings the clean is distorted (AC30) the rest clean settings are very clean (I am talking here about working with the presets) The distortion is on some amps brutal and on some amps low, on the UK80 and UK Modern and higain and the nu-metal it is very brutal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Got this amp for a view months didn't did a gig yet with this one, so there It is a suprise for me. I rehearsed with the band in row so it will make it to a gig I suppose. So I give it a full 10 because I think it wil make it looks like a good amp that can be abbused on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: Its great for my music: punk and classic rock. I play now for 4 years 2 years in band. I would by another one maybe some more watts (not that this isn't enough). All the features are great on this more than one amp sound and more effects then I ever will use. The noise reduction is also very good. For example when I am sitting in my room I sit or stand next to my amp and it helpes the amp vs guitar noisy sound. Hope I helped you in your search for a good amp. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: badrfan, on october 26, 2006

Features: This amp has some of the best features available in a single amplifier, it is a multi-effects processor trapped in a 50 watt speaker. It has 11 effects, and 11 amp modelings, also allows you to store 2 sounds and has 11 preset channels. The effects, however, are mostly centered around the reverb (chorus/reverb, tremolo/reverb, etc.)and it should be able to allow to mix some different effects on your own. // 9

Sound: I use it mostly on the Nu-Metal Setting with the delay on my Epiphone Les Paul, and it sounds amazing. I can play anything from prog to metal to hard rock to classic rock on the delay/nu-metal, and still have room to improvise. I was able to get an amzing clean sound out of it, and a weird flange effect that sounds like the doorbells people use on halloween. Almost all the effects, when completely maxed, can create some weird effect (except the auto wah-it sucks). However, my only other qualm is that the amp really has only three good amp channels: nu-metal, boutique OD, and UK modern (which is good for epic- played on the ryhthm pickup sad '80s solos). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can definately depend on this amp. I jsut used it for four gigs this weekend, and it has survived many more than that. Its sound has not suffered, and it only has a couple of dents in it. The only issue with it is the amp sometimes develops a mind of its own, and chooses to play a different sound than the one you've selected. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is amazing for the price range. Its effects sound nearly good as the Boss GT-6, however, its amp modeling and distortion doesn't get anywhere near the GT-8. It is also extremely loud, and for that reason I would scale it down. The AD30 is probably enough, and if this amp were ever lost/broken, I would get a cheap amp and the GT-6, because it has better modeling technology. // 8

AD50VT Reviewed by: Cpt.Jackass, on january 08, 2007

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: The amp has 11 preset amp types to choose from, all of which the sound can be adjuested using the gain, middle, treble and bass settings. Also then on top of that you can add one of 11 effects to your selected amp type and select the tempo using a knob that allows you to change the speed of the effect. I.e. increasing the frequency on the flanger setting. Not only that but you can also store two of your selected sounds that you create. Apart from the fact that this amp is absolutely brilliant for it's price range, the feature far outshine those on any of the other amps I've seen. For example, there is a power output control on the back, usually turning a 50watt amp upto max would get you the best tone, but it's too loud for bedroom practice. So Vox have added this feature so you can turn down the power output but still turn the volume knob upto the max to achieve the best possible tone. The only awkward thing I find is that, things like the headphone and line out jack are located at the back and the input jack is located on the top of the amp. // 9

Sound: I use a Squier stratocaster, and up until now it sounded like a pile of crap. Now it's a different story, I'm only using the stock pickups and the amp delivers such a warm sound. I play mainly classic/hard rock, and occasionally metal. The amp is possibly thr best for the two primary styles I play. The higher gain channels, to me, don't really seem anything too special, they're good, but they don't outshine the Roland cube when it comes to metal music. I use an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff, and use it on the clean presets and it's sound beautiful. The amp wont go anything heavier than Hard rock. But for anything else other than metal, it's top notch. Two of the clean channels sort of sound the same, one has slightly more bass than the other. that's my only complaint. // 8

Reliability & Durability: So Far I've bashed it around a fair bit. To be honest I haven't had it long enough to judge it's reliability, but the amp seem fairly solid and not something that would just break because you kicked it. I knocked it a fair few times going up our stairs, the amp was left untouched unlike the rail that goes up the stairs. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for two years and I still have a Squier Stratocaster. I was thinking about getting another guitar after this to improve my sound. Now I don't think I need to. I love the sound of this amp, it's plenty loud enough for the type of small gigs me and the band do, if this was stolen again, I would most definetly go out and buy it again. It's an excellent piece of equipment for it's price range. Compared to the Roland and the Line 6 spider series. This brute comes out on top. The only effect I wish it has, would be a phaser, or a separate chorus effect without the reverb. Apart from that this thing is amazing. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: .executable, on march 23, 2007

Purchased from: Musik-Service Aschaffenburg

Features: This Hybrid-amp features a 12" speaker, 50 Watts of power (which are enough), 11 amp-modelings, 11 effect-modeling and a noise gate. You can chose 2 of your favorite amps and footswitch them. The effects can also be bypassed per footswitch (Vox VFS-2). It also features a Line and a Speaker-out. It comes without a FX-Loop but I don't mind since I'm not the FX-maniac and the built in effects are great. I use this one as a amp for gigs and for practise with my band. It can get really loud, at least enough to make your drummer cry like a baby (I did). // 9

Sound: I'm using mostly play strats through this amp but I also tested it the Jackson of a friend of mine. Sounds absolutly superb, no matter in which seting. It suits my style perfect, I'll show you my favourite bands and guitarists: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Stevie Ray Vaughan, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones and a bit of RHCP and Incubus. It's a bit noisy with single coins at higher volume at the high-gain channels but do you know any amp which isn't? // 9

Reliability & Durability: Actually this amp killed my soundcard after when I wanted to record a litlle piece but I guess that was just bad luck and expect for that it's pretty neat. I use this amp without a backup and I can't imagine braking this one. I'll give it 5 because it killed my soundcard as I told you. // 5

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years and I play blues, blues-rock and some hardrock. I play strats it's perfect for my style of playing. I guess metal-heads would find a better amp for their music but for me it's great. I was able to compare this one to H&K Attax 50 and a Line 6 Spider. By far this one kicked them. It just sounded more "real" because of the tube. I'd buy it again because it's sound is the best you can get for J400. // 9

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2007

Purchased from: Music Shop in Phillips

Features: The amp has 11 amp sounds based on 11 of the most popular valve amps in guitar history. It also has 11 effects, a noise gate, one speaker out (which mutes the original speaker) and a head phone socket. I am selling my JMP-1 (yes, you read right), mainly because it is more versatile than a Marshall. I usae it at home as I am too old to gig. I used to have a huge rack, similar to Bradsgaw, with stereo speakers and the lot. Apart from a broken back and a headache over which of the one hundred and something sounds to use, I was never really satisfied. Now I know better, less is more! // 9

Sound: I read the reviews and listened to the demos at Vox online. I already knew what to expect, and, yes, I am very surprised and happy about the amp. It does deliver. The sound is amazing, and compared to my Marshall (and I have had quite a few), this one will kick arse and push the sound into your face, just like a Marshall, only with more versatility. I only have one issue regarding sound: 1. the native speaker sounds flabby in the bass tones. My 35 year old Celestion Vintage 25 sounds much better! And as already explained, with another speaker, this amp is unbeatable. The notes are sweet sounding, accurate and, well in clean mode, very soft and subtle and as you progress through the amp selections, it gets rougher and nastier. Sadly, because of the speaker, it get's a 9 in sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Amp/speaker housings should always be made of plywood and NOT particle board. Particle board kills the bass response (see above) of any half decent speaker, it sucks up moisture and vinyl leather doesn't like to stick on it. Pay the 50 cents more during manufacturing and make the thing out of plywood. Next, I'll pay you another 50 cents extra to get the Vox plaque made of metal. Plastic looks very, very cheap! Finally, the metal speaker grill is excellent protection for the speaker, the handle seems strong enough and the plastic corners, oh, well, they will probably do. Just don't use plywood. // 8

Overall Impression: I record my songs in a studio nowadays. I play anything from rock to subtle blues, jazz and even heavy metal. I am still using my Korg multi-effects pedal because it has some very nice acoustic sounds. This amp definately outplays Line 6 in terms of authentic sounds. My Marshall was good while it lasted, and the stereo effects were cool for recordings, but I want simplicity now. Remember, less is more! // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: opc100, on november 03, 2007

Features: Amp made in China I think and is relatively new, a bit vague but frankly I don't care because it is a great amp. It has 11 presets and 4 different channels which all give a slightly different sound. Being a half-tube amp you can turn the wattage down to as low as 1 or as high as 50 and the quality of sound is still the same. I wish it could be more like a pedal with the ability to make your own sounds (like my Korg AX100G) but it doesn't matter because that would bumb up the prics a lot. // 10

Sound: I use this for metal but a bit of soft rock and some punk and some folk and some. I use this amp for everything basically and it works well all the time. I love using it for the heavier part of my repatouir because the distortion is so gorgeous. At high volumes the clean is absolutely perfect, no crackling whatsoever. I usually use this at home though and get plugged in straight from my pedal for gigs, and it serves well as a practise amp which I mainly keep at 25 watts. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'd definately use it without backup because it's never cut out on me in the year I've had it and I've only had one gig with my band so far (Decorum) www.bebo.com/decorum-music or www.myspace.com/musicdecorum, sorry, I like to advertise. I never change the tubes, valves or fuse and it's still as good as the day I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: Definately a good match for metal, even though I got it to play softer rock (yes that's right, I'm a converted metalhead). I'd buy it again if it was stolen. To get a better amp than this you'd have to pay at least 3 times the amount I did, which I know some people have but for this amp. I compared it to the Line 6 Spider II 30 and it was better, but I think it's only just better than the Line 6 Spider III, and now my mate is hyperventilating because he's just bought a Spider. Overall great amp, worth the money I paid, worth the money I know others have paid, perfect. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 29, 2008

Purchased from: Sound Centre

Features: This is a fantastic amp. The Vox AD50VT suits just about everything I play. Like Guns n roses, led zeppelin, to Metallica, the ramones and Deep Purple. it is PERFECT for each one. It has 11 authentic amp models to choose from, 5 clean and 6 distorted. The distorted models are especially good, because you can pretty much flick to them, and play an awesome sound. These types are UK '70s, UK '80s, UK modern, numetal, US higain, and boutique CL. They all sound fantastic. For any style you play, you can choose one. I don't use the 5 clean channels as much, because I love the heavy distortion. The amp has 3 chanels, Preset and Manual and CH1 & CH2. My amp came with the optional footswitch, which I've heard in some cases you must buy seperately, but it works awesome. It has a headphone jack and a footswitch jack. I play in a band with this amp, and it is definetely enough. It has pre-amp, so it's louder then your average 50w. You can also change the power output on the back, so you can turn it all up, and keep quiet, without losing that awesome sound. It has that awesome valve sound which I love, without the price of an actual valve amp. The amp also comes with 11 built in effects. They are not the best quality effects, some are great, but they will definetely do if your not into using effects pedals. The auto wah sounds a bit dogdy but that's about it. I only use about 5 of them with the songs I play. // 10

Sound: I use a crappy Cort strat copy, and am currently saving for a new guitar. But never the less, the Cort sounds pretty damn good with it. I thought it might be a bit shoddy, but it was fine. Sounds awesome. It suits my style very well, because of the range of sounds you can produce. When I first got the amp, and whenever it was set on manual, it would make this awful squealing sound whenever I came in contact with the strings. I took it back, and they told me it was because of my settings. My power level was turned down, with my volume up, and the treble up. I had my settings all screwed up. It has a wide variety of sounds, because of the 11 amp models, and I love it. The distortion is pretty awesome on this, and especially with 11 amp models to choose for the distortion. It sounds fantastic. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definetely use this in a gig. I would definetely depend on this amp to get me through a gig. I've only had it for about 6 weeks, so I haven't had any problems with it, apart from the squeal, but as I said, because of my settings. It has a metal grill on the front, so if you chuck it in the back of your car, or knock it over in a concert, it will stay fine, unlike other amps with mesh on the front. // 9

Overall Impression: I think it is a great match for what I play, because it has a lot of versitility, and that's what I like. At first, I wasn't sure whether to choose a Marshall 50w, but the Marshall 50w doesnt't have as much versitility, and you get that one Marshall sound. When I was buying this amp, the salesman gave me a lot of informtion on the amp, and I brought my guitar in and tried it with every effect and every amp model. This definetely helped. If it were lost or stolen, I would 100% buy this again. I love it to death. There is not really anything I don't like about the amp. It gives no feedback when I'm close or when I'm playing the amp. If there was one thing I would change about the amp, or add to the amp, I would add a bit more distortion and add some different effects. But, all in all, this amp is awesome! // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: thegovtmule, on march 22, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Center - Tallahassee

Features: It's all detailed in the other reviews. The amp models are really good and it has a wide range of flavors to choose from. You can't individually program or combine the effects, it has a menu knob or either single or combined effects like flanger/chorus together but you can edit the sounds of the combinations. I got the optional 23 button footswitch so you have a 2 channel amp with bypassable effects on each channel. It's a 50 watt model so you can be heard playing with a drummer and other instruments but it's not loud enoght if you're gigging in a noisy bar situation, you'd have to mic it through the PA probably. For home use it's great because of the power attenuator and you can get full gain by pushing the tube preamp but then cut the power section down to quiet levels. That's what really sold it for me. They claim it has a minuturize push/pull power amp inside (somehow transistor-izde). Whatever it is, it does the just. For all the "all-tube" snobs reading, who freaking cares it is sounds good? I'd love to have a Rivera or a Mesa but my daddy won't buy me one, I'm 39, I work for a living and I'm a poor bastard. I wish it had a dedicated reverb knob for both channels but you can only use reverb as an option in the effects section. I'm using my Digiverb pedal and using the other effects options. // 9

Sound: I got the floor demo amp from GC in Tallahassee since I had returned a palomino V32 I bought last week. I played this amp for about 10 minutes and said "OK, this is the one". I used to own a Johnson Modeling amp and was pleased with it but this outdoes it totally. The sounds are really good on the AD50. The heavier distortion sounds really sound like Marshall stuff, really powerful, clean crunchy distortion and well defined, not muddy or like a box full of bees. I really don't even need any of my pedals anymore but I'm using my Boss Mega Distortion turned way down as an overdrive through the clean channel so I have 3 channels to choose from on the fly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I read some reviews about burnt wiring after long/loud playing but I hope that doesn't happen. I've only had it a few days. They say Vox stands by their stuff pretty well though. We'll see I guess. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly hair metal type stuff being a child of the '80s and this thing does it wonderfully. It has the best crunch sound I've ever heard comming from something that wasn't a $2000 peince of equipment. The clean tones or realy good to and it models the Fender cleans well a couple of different amp selections. I'm very pleased overall with this amp. I got a Crate Palomino a few weeks ago because I wanted an all-tube amp but it just couldn't cut it. There were quality issues and I couldn't push the tubes because it was way loud. I used to have the Johnson modeling amp so I decided to try this one because the preamp-tube type modelers do have a warmer sould than pur solid-state and this one is the best I've ever heard. Even my buddy whose a dedicated blues and Jack Johnson fanatic played my Ibanez through it and started playing a Sabbath song because the distortion sounds so good. That was when I knew it was really good. It it were stolen I'd be freakin pissed and would go get another one. For those of you wondering will it do "metal," well what is "metal" these days. It won't do like mid-scooped Pantera type sounds but anything short of that, yes. Hell, it may do it and I just haven't figured out how yet! Metallica, yes, Disturbed, yes, Billy Joel, yes, it's versitile. The only complaint I have is you can't tweak the effects very readily and the controls for the effects are a little complicated and I am going to have to look at the manual again. But anyway, I highly recomend this amp. // 9

AD50VT Reviewed by: AgresiveNapkins, on april 07, 2008

Features: You probably all know the basic features now so I'll go a little more in depth. It has 11 amp models ranging from clean to heavy metal. You can save 2 programs then Switch between them with a footswitch. The effects are useable but pedals would be a better choice. The effects are very adjustable too. there's a tap button, edit knob, and a bypass button. They can all do different things according to the effect your using. There's also a noisegate that can come in handy. The amp does classic rock, funk, and clean very well. I don't really like the heavy gain channels becuase they get kind of muddy. But since metal isnt really my style I'm fine with it. I play a a lot of bands like Rush and Van Halen and it suits their style very well. Of course the amp uses tube pre-amp technology that really gives it the tube feeling. This amp gets really loud. Enough to shake things off walls. But luckily, the amp has a built in attenuator which gives you a good tone at low volume. Very nice features. // 10

Sound: I use an Epi Les Paul Standard though it and you can really hear the tone of your guitar through the amp. I do say I can get a real nice Rush tone out of it. The amp is really responsive to how you play. This might just be becuase I'm used to playing on a microcube. Also, unlike SS amps the AD50VT sounds better the more you turn it up. I've only had it cranked a few times but when I did it was always a good experience. Altough after I was done I couldn't hear very well. For heavy metal you would probably need a pedal but I don't know I really never play metal. The amp just sounds so good and you can get souch a vast amount of tones with it. I'm very Impressed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would definatly gig without a backup becuase I can't see this thing breaking at all. The metal grill in front of the speaker seems very tough and it's shiny. The corners are plastic, But there very durable and thick plastic. The handle is mounted on with 4 screws and metal hinges. The back of the amp is enclosed with metal and wood. The only thing I've heard bad about it is the input jack falling into the amp. But I can't see how that possible if you actually look at your amp once in a while. The only maintenance I could see would be changing the tube ever 3 years maybe. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp. I got mine as a B-stock off of Zzounds.com for $290. It was a steal and I haven't seen any flaws on it at all. I have been playing for a little over 3 years and upgraded from a MicroCube. This amp would work for home practice, Band practice, to indoor gigs easily. And it's not that heavy as it only wieghs like 45 pounds. For the price that I got this amp I can't imagine any thing better. Of course there are many better amps out there, But there a heck of a lot more expensive then this. If it was lost I would definatly get another one. // 10

AD50VT Reviewed by: lunchboxattacks, on april 19, 2008

Purchased from: Soundshop,Drogheda,Ireland

Features: This is a hybrid modelling amp which means it is designed to emulate the sounds of several different classic amplifiers in one neat package and uses a combination of solid state (in the pre amp section) and valve (power amp) technology to do so. Feature wise it's hard to wrong with this amp seeing as it's got 11 amp models ranging from super clean to flat out distortion, built in digital effects, responsive EQ (bit more on that later), power attentuator, speaker out and footswitch jack. It feels however that the addition of an FX loop would also have been useful, if you really need this then you'd have to go for the 100 watt model although to my ears it seems to take pedals perfectly well from the front end. It's essentially a three channel amp with the different amp models being selected with a rotary knob located on the top panel of the amp and then allows you to save your own custom sounds into the two built in save slots in the amps memory along with the manual setting. However, for a gig scenario you would really need to use the footpedal (sold seperately of course) to access these conviniently. The amp is basically speced for versitility and the people at Vox obviously wanted it to appeal to players from all parts of the musical spectrum. // 8

Sound: I run a 2006 Gibson Les Paul Special Sl (great guitar)>fender pt-100 tuner>Dunlop crybaby>MXR Distortion iii>behringer delay into the front of this amp and usually play using the Vox ac15 emulation because it best compliments the pedals' sound in my opinion. The cleans on this are great especially the AC15 (think earlyish Beatles and general '60s english pop/rock) and the AC30 (think Queen, Rory Gallagher and The Jam) these amps not only sound good clean but also in my opinion provide the most useable overdrives on the amp when the gain knob is turned up. The other cleans on this amp sound a bit weedy and or rough but with a bit of tweaking and the addition of a slapback delay you can achieve some convincing early rock'n'roll/rockabilly type sounds.Now for the higher gain amp models, the problem here is that Vox amps have a reputation of a having a percussive compressed sort of tone about them were you can really hear the pick attack and while this may be desirable in Vox's own amps it's not really going to do when it's trying to do high gain metal and to my ears the distortion really still sounds quite cold and digital in almost all of the higher gain amp models and in one particular one (not naming names) it sounds horribly muffled and woofy (I doubt a speaker change would do much to remedy this but I could be wrong) I think this amp would do better with a single coil guitar like a strat or tele where the low end isnt shown up as much. Bottom line is, if you want smooth full distortion through this amp, get a good pedal and find a clean amp model that compliments it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can't find fault with the reliability, I've had it 9 months or so and gigged with it at least a dozen times without a backup and it's never let me down, it certainly is a sturdy looking amp, I suppose I would be worried about it's single power valve burning out and causing problems but so far that hasn't happened. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing seven years and this amp is certainly a step up from the Marshall MG I had but it's still not quite what I'm looking for, it's not quite the tone machine that I'd hoped for. If it were lost I'd be sad cause then I'd have no amp but I'd pick myself up and get something better like a fully valved Laney or Marshall but this still the best hybrid amp in it's range. // 7

AD50VT Reviewed by: clearfin, on january 11, 2011

Price paid: C$ 225

Purchased from: kijiji

Features: The Vox AD50VT is good my styles are a bit demanding since I play classic rock, britpop, blues and country. 250$ for the amp with the pedal was a steal. The guy I bought it from doesn't play anymore, so he sold it cheap. The amp has 2 programmable channels, and 11 presets. You can use manual mode as a third channel if you have the channel/bypass pedal.The amp doesn't have an effects loop, thats okay because I use this for just at home and recording. Since you only need the preamp for recording, you can have an all tube recording! The amp is actually 65 watts not 50. (specs...look in your manual...oh yes I forgot we don't like to read manuals) There is 11 effects, 11 amp styles, a treble, mid,bass, master vol, and volume control. On the rear panel you can control how hard you Drive the tube. Many features, The amp is very powerful. The only thing I could really ask is fuzz in the effects and an effects loop. // 9

Sound: I use a thinline tele with a Gretsch humbucker on the neck and a very twangy single coil on the bridge, and a few other mods. The amp isn't very noisy, there is noise reduction so you can stop the feedback on OD. The amp has a large variety of sounds due to 2 circuits it switches back and forth from, the amp selector, effects and the features. The clean channels distort at higher volumes, I used the speaker output, the amp has a really bad speaker. This amp specializes in distortion, when I play some distorted blues it really sounds nice. To get a "tube" sound you need to Drive the tube hard. Turning up the adjustable power level does the trick. Doesn't sound very "tube", theres something there for sure though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would never gig on this. The feet are plastic and rubber. The structure is made out of pressboard with some kind of plastic coating over top. The amp has only 1 preamp tube so I have changed the tube once.. In 5 years? The amp has never had any problems. // 7

Overall Impression: I play Classic rock, britpop, blues and country as I said before on my modded telecaster. I own 3 other Acoustic guitars and 1 other electric. This amp is, the best match I could get with my money. If it were lost or stolen I would build a new amp. I love the Boutique setting. There is also this one amp setting ( I forget) that is very twangy. I compared this to a Roland cube, which was too trebly and quiet. As I said earlier I wish it had fuzz and an effects loop. // 7

AD50VT Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 11, 2011

Purchased from: local advert

Features: It is advertised as the low budget valve modelling amp. It is like saying low cost first class diamonds - sorry folks, they just don't exist. If you want valve sound - expect to pay a great deal of money. If you want a clean sound and a reliable amp - buy solid state. The amp is reliable, but tries to do too much and fails on everything. At stage volume, any gain setting past 9 O'Clock becomes muddy, if you use overdrive pedals (tubescreamers etc) the tone becomes muffled. You are then relegated to using only two amp settings - the Black 212 or the Boutique Clean, both of which lack punch. It doesn't have a completely clean channel so does not have a personality of its own. Some of the effects are better than others. The Wah Wah is terrible, the phaser difficult to set. Perhaps the best setting is the tremelo/reverb ala "Gimme Shelter/Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" type sound - but pretty specific. The compressor and comp/chorus is useless, just turns the tone to "mud". The writable channels are a waste of time, the master volume needs to be either at max/attenuator low or at low/attenuator at max and volume at 1 O'Clock to make use of any output differential. // 3

Sound: I play classic rock and blues, at low volume on my own it sounds pretty good. When the rest of the band get together - the tone is dreadfully muddy and is impossible to clean up. I play Ibanez S5470 prestige, a Gibson Les Paul Black top and a Fender "David Gilmour" strat with a variety of pups from Di Marzio to SD's to Irongear. Nothing cuts through the "mud" of this amp tone. The amp is quiet and reliable when switching settings, so no problem with build quality. It just can't produce a tone that cuts through the mix. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Never had a problem in two years of gigging. The single tube (AX7) is fine and cabinet is robust. Knobs are solid and quiet. I do use it to gig with (not from choice but from current budget) and it needs to be miked to a PA, it just cannot handle being max'ed out. However conversely the tone is better when everything is at "10", but then offers no flexibility in output other than guitar volume knob. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this would be a good bedroom amp, some of the effect are better than others. If you want to gig, forget this amp. Go for the Line 6 range if modelling amps are your thing. The Peavey Valveking range is a whole step above the Vox Valvetronix. If it were stolen, I'd be grateful. I'd collect the insurance and put it towards a better gigging amp that offers primarily a good clean tone, then more flexibility in output/crunch settings. I believed the Vox hype because of the pedigree of Vox with The Beatles/Stones etc... This range just doesn't do the business. // 2

AD50VT Reviewed by: phalanges24, on february 10, 2012

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Georges Guitars and Music

Features: This amp when I got it, was a great amp. It features a 12AX7 tube. I have come to learn that the tube, if taken out, does anything from lowering the volume, to nothing. Other than that, it's a "trans-tube" digital solid state amp. It has 2 channels I believe, with a built in noise suppressor, several effects, all of which are easy to navigate. I used this amp in-home, and I played blues, rock, some metal on it, then my styles changed (which I will get to). As I said, it had many amp models, most of them just general "Vox" models. Sadly, I currently have another modeling amp that does Vox amps better than the AD50VT can, which is very ironic. There is no effects loop, but a headphone output jack, and one input for guitar. The speaker, as I took off the CLOSED back to see, was a "Vox Celestion 70/80". At 50W it was plenty loud enough. // 7

Sound: For pickups, I used single-coil and humbuckers, in Les Paul style guitar(s), and a Telecaster. I played this live a couple of times. One of the things I liked was the amps ability to retain its original sound, even when cranked. Some solid state/modeling amps either muddy down or brighten up too much, and with this amp's master volume cranked, it managed to retain the sound I wanted without any altering. I used a Boss GT-8 through it, and it worked great. Handled effects very well. I would recommend putting the amp through it generally flat sounding clean channel without any EQ altering, and then putting an effect pedal into the front, like the GT-8. It works quite well. My style was blues and rock. I played quite a bit of metal, but you come to realize all the amp models sound somewhat "generic". They are good, in that they a smooth and rich, but even with a 12AX7, as I remember, resembled in no way true "tube" break up. For soloing and sweep picking, it was smooth and rich, which was good. As far as anything else going, it lacked (for metal), crunch, break-up, and just generally balls. All amp models seemed to retain "tightness" to the point that any amp model have the same "feel" to it. The best heavy amp model was the "nu-metal", and required something like a Boss SD-1 Overdrive to beef it up. Aside from metal, clean and jazz would be great. The tremolo and phasers were quite nice, as well as the flanger being surprisingly gutsy. The clean amps, like I said with the 12AX7, didn't resemble true tube distortion break-up, but had their own unique sound. Even with the gain on full, you just got a louder punch with the all around smoothness, which was nice. I particularly remember the reverb. It was quite good, and very sensitive, which I loved. Adding reverb and such to any amp was a good idea, and the delays also were easy to control, and didn't overwhelm your sound, no matter how much you put on. The effects were exceptional, and most of the amp models were decent and exceptional. If your looking for an overall nice rounded smooth sound, with guts on most amp models, go for it. Adding any type of multi-effect or distortion pedal to this amp, you cannot go wrong. Going for metal, this amp will eventually lack the ballsiness you might desire as your ear gets more fine-tuned. I had this amp thinking it was all I would need. It was up until I hit metal, that was my big breaking point. But it introduced me, with its sensitive EQ, spectacular amp models, and effects, into a realm where my ear became a part of my voice, and this amp would suit a lot of peoples needs. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp was solid. Built like a tank. There was a pound for every what, haha, so a 50 pound guess would be accurate. It was very sturdy, I remember inspecting the speaker when I took off the back. The soldering for the speaker, connections, and inside cleanliness was very surprising. The speaker was a custom built I believe for Vox by Celestion, and to me, you cannot go wrong with either brand. I did however, experience some electrical problems, where a channel cut out or something. I never dealt with the customer service, but I did just send it to my guitar store, and they sent it to Vox where they fixed it, free of charge. I would depend on this amp for live, studio, or bedroom use. I would use it on a gig for the right type of music of course, and I can see the tubes never ever being an issue, as they seem to do nothing sadly. No warm-up time is needed for the amp, like a real tube amp needs. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a large variety of music. Virtuoso, jazz, blues, classic rock, and metal. Like I said, this amp lacks truly in metal. Any other genre served pretty good. I used it for a couple of years, and I didn't find out about the tube in it until later. So don't be fooled, as I was disappointed to see its role had no role at all in the amp; if your looking for a tube amp, go for it. I've been playing for around 10 years, and when I had this amp, about 9 years. It was not my first amp, but my first modeling amp that I upgraded to. It served its purpose, and I have no regrets. If it were stolen (I love this question), I would buy it back, and generally beat the crap out of the person that stole it, because stealing is wrong!. For everything but medal, I don't think you can go too to wrong. It's versatile. I now use a Line 6 Flextone III as I am a fan of good modelling amps. The Line 6 surpasses this amp, honestly, by a lot. It does the Vox better than the Vox itself does, which I find ironic. It has no claim to tube like the Vox does, and sounds infinitely better. But like I said, it's all about your ear. Overall, this amp is a solid 7/10, but as the saying goes "if your good at something, there is always someone (or in this case) something better". // 7

AD50VT Reviewed by: Guitargenius84, on june 20, 2012

Features: This Vox amp provides a range of versatile sounds, you can imitate pretty much any sound with this amp. There are 3 main ways to use the amp: 1. The "preset" function which allows you to select a type of amp model (e.g "AC30" or "UK Modern") and will give you a sound that is preset in the factory, you can of course change the sound with the Gain, Volume, Bass, middle, Treble and effects knobs. 2. The "Manual" function, in which you select a type of amp (just like the preset setting), and you can just fiddle with each control as much as you like. 3. The third setting is the "Channel program" in which you have to channels to save your settings on. The amp is semi-valve (the ValveTronix that Vox do), and gives a lush powerful tone. // 9

Sound: I use a range of different guitars through it, from a Gibson LP to a Fender Telecaster. The amp works well with both single coil and humbucker pickups. I personally prefer the humbuckers. This amp is extremely versatile and enables the user to create pretty much any sound known to man. Ranging from vibrant and warm clean tones, to Vintage overdrive (imitates the Vox AC30), to brutal metally settings... And everything inbetween! I play a range of music and this amp helps me to find any tone that suits. The amp never seems to have any buzz or hum, especially not with humbuckers of course. There is a huge range of editable effects ranging from Reverb and Delay, to Auto Wah and Chorus... Also Flange, phase, rotary, tremolo, compression... No matter what style of music you are playing, whether it be rockabilly, blues, funk, rock, metal or whatever else, I would recommend this amp as it offers such a wide range of tones and control. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been gigging with this amp almost every week for about 4 years now and it has lasted extremely well. The amp is a sturdy well built, closed back design that has a killer looking metal grill that looks unique on stage! Just like all Vox amps, although it is valve, it is sturdy and not delicate at all, (Vox once tested an AC30 by dropping it down a flight of stairs, plugged it in and it still worked!) If you are gigging regularly this is more than suitable for your needs, it is powerful enough for any pub or hall, and when your playing big gigs it will be miced up anyway! I rarely crank this amp up above 7 as it is a bloody powerful amp! // 10

Overall Impression: I love this amp. Buy it. That is all I can say, it is suitable for all my needs and never lets me down. Thanks Vox! Of course Vox are the best. I don't settle for anything other than Vox, nothing is anywhere near as good! // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ DelayLab 8.9 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014