AmPlug Cabinet Review

review (1) pictures (1) 8 comments vote for this gear:
AmPlug Cabinet Reviewed by: bazza92, on september 30, 2010

Price paid: A$ 30

Purchased from: Allans Music

Features: Ok, this is one cool little gadget to review! The amp itself is a cabinet for Vox's amazing "AmPlug" range, which are small headphone amplifiers that fit directly into your guitar. These cool little devices leave guitarists unable to show other's their cool sounds however so Vox have come out with these cabinets powered by 9v batteries or 9v adaptors. It's a 2010 model made in Vietnam, designed in California. As these are cabinets they have no functions as such, the functions are controlled on the AmPlugs (or head units in this case). You simply insert the AmPlug into your AmPlug cabinet, attach the your guitar to the amp and away you go! This is a highly versitile amp if you have a range of the AmPlugs. You can turn the amp into an awesome shredding machine with the metal AmPlug, a smooth melody-maker with the Acoustic AmPlug or a funk box with the bass AmPlug. It's only a small amp so it's ideal for practice, warming up before a gig or jamming with friends, but does all these jobs excellently. // 7

Sound: This little cabinet is suprisingly powerful. Admittedly I was very sceptical at first on the quality of the amp as it features only 0.7 watts of power. But when I first plugged in my "Classic Rock" AmPlug I was blown away by not only the volume but the sound quality too! I have built my own strat with Lace Hot-Gold pick-ups and this amp captured the beauty of the pickups perfectly. I have tried the Marshall Microstacks and a Radix RX-5 mini amps and I can honestly say these do not come close to producing a quality as good as the Vox. With most micro amps, you cannot turn the volume up to maximum as this will produce unclean, tinny tones and aren't very pleasant to listen to. However I turned the "Classic Rock" head unit up to 10 on gain and volume and was shcoked that I was still able to produce an adible sound. With my Acoustic AmPlug and my Fender CD100CE the cabinet is able to let my friends enjoy both the deep bass notes and sparkling treble notes without compensating for volume or creating annoying feedback issues. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this amp for a week and have had no issues with it so far. I have complete confidence in Vox so I can assume that I will not be calling them to get it serviced anytime soon. This is only a small amp so I WOULD recommend you take a bigger amp to a gig (something tells me 0.7 watts will fill up a room or tiny hall, not a concert arena). However a friend of mine is considering playing his Acoustic guitar through two Acoustic AmPlug Cabinets at the same time for a mini gig so I guess if you are prepared to buy two, the oppourtunity is there! // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I must say I am very pleased with my little amp. I play a variety of styles from Acoustic to rock to pop and with the ability to change between the AmPlugs I can accomodate for all genres of music. Other than loving the sound, the handy this about this amp is the portability. It is just small enough to fit into my guitar cases so I can carry it to a friends house or to the Park and play with it without worrying about carrying extra gear. The only improvement I would make to this amp would be a slight increase in wattage. If this was a 5w amp it would be even better but for now I am content with 0.7. If someone stole this cabinet I would certainly go out and buy another (for $30 its dirt cheap). I would definately recommend that people buy this over a Marshall micro stack or something similar, the sound quality and ability to customize the head unit make it far superior. // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ StompLab IG 9 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014