DA10 Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 11/16/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: DA10
Based on the popular DA5 Digital Amp, the new DA10 combines higher power with the same great tone and go-anywhere portability of their smaller sibling. And like the DA5, it offers the option of running on battery power, so you can take the jam session literally anywhere!
 8.9
 9.2
 8.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
DA10 Reviewed by: SilverDark, on june 23, 2008

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: The Vox DA10 is the first amp I've ever bought (not to say it was the first amp I've ever had, I also own a Fender Frontman). I did lots of research before choosing this kind of amp and it feels like an amp that can stay sturdy for years to come. I bought it in April in spring break, and I was itching for a louder amp. First, let me say that this is a solid state battery powered amp. 6 C batteries and you can be playing outside your house. This amp comes with 11 different styles of sound and 11 different effects packed into one, with three different kinds of edits and a Bypass button for the effects, and gain, tone, and master knobs. The amp has a headphones jack which can be used as a line out, an AUX In jack that lets you use it as a speaker for your MP3's and to play along with your guitar, a Mic Input with a knob beside it to control the volume, and a "power select" switch that lets you Switch the wattage on your amp to increase battery life and lower volume, or decrease battery life and raise volume (which isn't a bad thing, considering the batteries can last up to 8 hours in MAX output). The amp has an output of 10 Watts, and it can take a drum! Did I also mention it has 2 6.5 inch speakers? // 10

Sound: Yes, I'm a beginning guitarist, but I do know how to listen for tone. My guitar is a mediocre Silvertone with unspecified pickups, and it plays great, but I also did try the amp out with my school's Fender Stratocaster so I can study it further. In fact, I first tried the DA20, a later model of it because I was stupid and didn't want the store clerk to bother with getting the DA10 from the store's stockroom. When I was playing with the DA20 I was intrigued by what the amp had to offer (the amp had 20 Watts with two 8 inch speakers), and, like an idiot, went along with the store clerk to buy the DA10 because the DA20 was like it, only with better wattage. When I unpackaged the amp from it's box, I tested it out with the Fender Frontman and knew it was better than it, then proceeded towards my friends house. We were trying to see which of our amps were louder, my DA10 or his Ibanez shit amp (it is really crap). I was disappointed that my amp wasn't louder than his, even on the highest setting, but this "power select" switch was bugging me, because it was on the lowest. I switched it to max and with a pluck of the string a loud sound came from the amp. Then, realizing the power I had, I annoyed my friend by playing a bunch of powerchords and soloing on Blues really, really loud. This amp is very forgiving. You can play as loud as you can with the gain cranked to max, and tone is not sacrificed or muddy. The styles have their own distortion, to minor in clean1(you can hear it by putting the gain at max), to a distortion in higain2 that can suit Metallica-type music. I haven't used all of the styles all at the same time, but some (clean1, crunch1, higain2) are suitable for everyday practice, whereas some (drive) aren't really desirable. Effects on this amp are great! There's autowah, comp (which I have no idea what it does), phaser, chorus, delay, reverb, flanger, tremolo, and rotary. There's nine effects but some have two settings for one selection, like Comp and Phaser. You can change the state of the effects with a knob and two buttons. You can refer to the manual on what does what, or just mess around until you get what you like. I like using the flanger and autowah, but I would like it better if I could choose my own effect by itself or stack two effects on each other(that was not selected by the manufacturers). The sound is really great. I always practice with a clean or distorted tone and the sound is clear. One thing I would like to point out about this amp is the single tone knob. I would have liked it best if I chose my own treble, mid, and bass like on my Frontman. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played in concerts with this amp three times and it has been a lot of fun. I would like to buy a second one just to keep it there. It's really loud so I would use it in bars, public spaces, etc. and I sit on it and bumped it a couple of times on walls and it still works. I wouldn't recommend slamming it to the floor. The thing about Vox is that amps have a one year warranty which, compared to other companies, sucks. // 8

Overall Impression: Basically, this amp is very versatile and can possibly play a variety of styles other than blues, jazz, rock, and metal. It is probably directed at beginners, but for a beginner it is the best kind of amp there is. If the amp broke down or got stolen, I would break down and cry because it is such a great amp (also, I'm very poor, and 200 bucks isn't easy to get, not for a long time). After that, I would try to find a tube amp since that would be a better choice. The amp is just great, but like I said, I would like to choose my own effect and my own tone. Oh yeah, the amp is best to be used by an MP3 player because when I connected it to my computer as a speaker, it was in mono sound, and I was unhappy, but still kept rocking out because of the volume! Every time I present this amp to my friends, I keep saying that it has been "the best 200 bucks I've ever spent". // 9

DA10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 16, 2011

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Long N Mcquade

Features: Bought this one used. I have it's 50 W big brother (2X12), and love it yet I have always liked the sound of small speakers, so I picked up this guy to try mic'ing and recording. I've only played it for a half hour so far. This is an amazing little guy. He sounds incredible, and does a very good impression of various amps. 2 channels, the mic channel has only volume control, and is hidden on the back. There's a line jack and a power select switch that limits it to 0.5, 1.5, or 10 watts. The battery setup (a bunch of D cell spots) is kinda lame, so I've put in a 7 amp battery to get the full 10 watts and an easily rechargeable battery (those D cells aren't cheap anymore, and 9V will only get you to 5W. 12 V gets you the full 10 Vox watts (equals 12 W of most other amp makers), and a few extra pounds of battery. // 10

Sound: 2 high-output SD humbuckers on my Epi Custom 3, and wow it sounds great. It sounds amazing with a little gain and delay set to fast, perfect for the rockabilly stuff I'm doing lately. Holy crap it sounds bright and awesome. I'm kinda blown away by the quality for this 2nd hand 100$ amp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just got this puppy, but if it is anything like it's big brother, which I've had a year and played daily, I would use it live without a backup. Cab looks sturdy and and metal grill cover look like the VT series. Cool velcro rear closure system makes it easy to swap in a sealed gelcell battery and keep it charged. // 8

Overall Impression: I play lots of classic rock, rockabilly, blues, surf etc. This amp and its onboard effects are a great match for my styles. I've been playing 24 yrs, have lotsa amps and cool crap. If this amp were lost/stolen, I'd lose it and take the theif's heart for a trophy with my old-school Kung Fu moves. If that failed I'd buy another, but they are discontinued so that may be a challenge. For what this amp is and how much I payed, it gets a solid 10. // 10

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ Tone Garage Double Deca Delay 8.4 Guitar Effects 08/05/2014