Pathfinder 10 Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 09/06/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: Pathfinder 10
Those instantly recognizable, warm British sounds you?ve come to expect from VOX are alive and well in the compact, 10-Watt Pathfinder 10 combo ? plus a high gain capability that?s thoroughly modern!
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (11) 12 comments vote for this gear:
Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: Moroten, on september 24, 2005

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I purchased this amp about 2 years ago. It's a small amp for my bedroom. The amp is pretty basic. It has an overdrive built in wich is pretty good. Gain, bass and a master volume is the knobs, so it's pretty basic. I mostly play this with my headphones when it's late. // 8

Sound: For the price and size of this amp the sound is amazing. I play it clean or lightly overdriven with a SSH-Strat. It's the strongest 10w amp I've played and you can get yourself heard more than you would think. I think it has a nice warm feeling in the sound. You probably wont find a better amp in that price range. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Never had any problems with it. It has taken a lot of beatings and it works as new. A quality product. // 10

Overall Impression: I my opinion it's the perfect practice amp. // 9

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: Immortal_Guitar, on may 22, 2006

Purchased from: Euromusica

Features: This amp has two channels, clean and overdrive, input, headphone jack (wich can be used to record)and master volume, gain, bass and treble knobs. Its features are limited, but I can't complain because the price isn't skyhigh. It's pretty solid, I used it for six months and never gave me problems. I play punk and pop rock, but the amp is versatile enough to other styles like heavy metal (with a proper distortion pedal). This is the loudest 0 Watt amp I have ever seen. I use it mainly for practice, and I don't think I would be using it on stage. // 7

Sound: I use this amp with my Aria Mac 55 (a Strat-style guitar), which is H/S/H. This amp suits my pop punk style perfectly, and it's very noisy for its size, especially with the overdrive knob, that gives the sound an extra punch. This amp hasn't got much of a variety, but it's perfect por practising at home. The clean sound is pretty good, and it sounds very good with single coil pickups. The distortion is fat, and I like it a lot. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very solid. Never gave me maintenance problems, and I have already bumped it once or twice. I wouldn't use it for a gig, it's too small. And this is a transistor amp, so no problems with tubes, since it has none. // 8

Overall Impression: This amp is a good match fr my music style. I play it for about six months now, and it has never let me down or deceptioned. It sounds great with distortion pedals. I just love its overdrive channel, it sounds excellent with single coil and great with humbucker pickups. I don't like its sound limitations: hasn't got mid or reverb. // 7

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: Mike_rocka_boy, on april 04, 2005

Features: The amp is basic and I reccomend for starting off on guitar. It has a gain, bass, treble, volume, overdrive/underdrive and a headphone input. This amp is good, It suits my styles of music: loud punk/rock. It is fairly small so it is good for taking around. Downfall: Can not be used for advanced use or for band use. // 8

Sound: It is pretty good for sound. Although when it is up to high gain and overdrive it tends to start drifting off the sound it should be plaing and just playing loud echoes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can always rely on this. Never has it stuffed up or bugged out. Although I only use it for practising at home so there is no suprises there. // 10

Overall Impression: overall I think this amp is pretty good. It is a good partner along with my Yamaha guitar. It may not have been my choice have I had bought it (it was a birthday present). Although I am pretty happy with the amp I got. I am a little disappointed that it does not have more settings (master etc). Although I have been playing for 2 years and it has served me faithfully for 2 years. // 8

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: The_Teleblaster, on january 22, 2009

Price paid: A$ 100

Purchased from: Guitar Centre at the Gabba

Features: This amplifier was built in 2008 in Vietnam. It has very basic controls, gain, volume, bass, treble, as well as an input and headphone/line out port as well as a channel selector. It comes with two channels, which are clean and overdrive. Obviously this amp is quite basic, with a 10-watt output is obviously built as a practice amp. Seeing as the controls are so limited you really need to use all the controls to get the sound you want. It is solid state, as are most practice amps, but does have some quite realistic sounding tube characteristics. This amp was only $100 Australian which is very cheap, so I was not at all concerned about the lack of some controls which some people would like even in a practice amp. Although I do kind of wish it had a 'mid' control. This is a practice amp, so you don't expect the features to be anything spectacular at all, but they are quite good considering the price. // 9

Sound: I use a Strat, Tele and a Les Paul with this amp, but I only use it late at night when I want to practice out loud, as my other amplifier (Peavey Bandit 112) is simply too loud even at highly reduced volumes, particularly on the distortion channel. My music style is mainly blues and rock (mainly classic rock, Stones, Zeppelin, Who etc) as well as prog rock such as Pink Floyd (favourite band of all time). It suits these styles relatively well, but it is a practice amp after all so you can't be too critical. The distortion channel is a bit noisy at high levels of gain, but is relatively quiet for the most part. The amp makes mostly classic-rock, overdriven sounds on the distortion channel and jangly cleans. Due to the limited controls the sound is limited, but you do have control over the general sound you get out of it, especially when coupled with a guitar's tone controls. The amp seems quite trebly though, even when the treble control is backed up all the way to 0. One cool feature that this amp has which gives it a somewhat tube vibe is that when you push the gain all the way up and pull the volume down on the clean channel the sound is just slightly distorted, giving a nice rythym crunch. Overall the sounds aren't anything spectacular, but are good for an amp of such a low price. Taking into account that this is a practice amp I do believe it sounds quite good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would not use this amp at a gig, unless I was playing in a very, very small venue with no drummer, and even then I'd have reservations. You have to take into account the intended use of this amp, though, it is simply not powerful enough to fill a reasonably sized room as well as having restricted sounds. It is not designed as a gigging amp. In terms of build quality it is surprisingly strong. I put a fair bit of my weight onto it the other day and the cabinet didn't budge. It has never broken down, but I have only had it for about 2 months and do not use it regularly. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned I mainly play blues/classic rock/prog rock and this amp suits them very well considering the price. I have been playing for 5 years and own a Tele, Strat, Les Paul (all genuine) and a Cort MR Custom and Kustom KAA16 acoustic amp, Peavey Bandit 112 and a DigiTech RP250. I tested the amp out before buying it and tested it against various other practice amps in the same class. I tested it against a Marshall, Peavey and a Laney and found this amp to have the most appealing distortion and clean channel. If it were lost or stolen I would certainly buy it again, as it is the cheapest and best practice amp in it's class. I love it's price and nice sounds but I wish it had more features and didn't lean so much towards cutting trebly sounds when treble is not wanted. Simply the best 10-watt solid state practice amp there is. // 9

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 28, 2010

Price paid: A$ 120

Purchased from: second hand

Features: My amp was made in Korea, but I haven't been able to date it, probably less than 10 years though. I play blues and classic rock, and it handles these just fine. Has overdrive, which gives it a nice crunch, and it goes LOUD with the gain turned up. It's got a single Vox bulldog speaker, dials for volume, bass, treble, headphone jack, all pretty standard for a small bedroom amp. // 7

Sound: I have an Ibanez RX40 and an SX Telecaster which I play through this. The amp gives a nice, warm sound on clean, which makes the Ibanez sound a lot less artificial than other amps I've heard it through. Makes the Tele sound awesome. Only problem is it has a relatively low max volume on clean. Overdrive easily doubles the volume, but gives lots more buzz, especially with the gain turned up. This amp suits my style and what I use it for perfectly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Amp is pretty sturdy, but it's really not big enough to gig on. Maybe a really small gig if used on overdrive, but if you're gigging you really need something bigger than this. I've had it for 8 months and haven't had a single problem with it. // 8

Overall Impression: As above, I play blues-rock and classic rock, and this amp works just fine with these styles. It doesn't fit metal or anything heavy, just sounds wrong coming out of a Vox. It's not very big or powerful, definitely a bedroom amp, but it does it's job just fine. It's be good if it went loder on clean, but I really have had no problems at all with this amp. If it broke or was stolen I'd probably get another one. // 8

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: Kill em all89, on november 25, 2003

Purchased from: island guitars

Features: This amp was made recently. This is a very good amp you can play almost any style. It only has 2 channels clean and overdrive. It has a headphone/line out jack. It can be used for recording and its a practice amp too!! I wish it had reverb I never did use reverb before. I use this amp at home it's a practice amp. It's a 0 Watt amp. It's pretty loud for a 0 Watt. // 8

Sound: I use a Epiphone guitar which is shaped like a strat but I don't know the name of the model cuz I bought it used. I usually play classic rock and heavy metal and the amp makes the sound very good. The distortion is awesome!!! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I like this amp I would use this at a gig as a backup. Not a gig just like talent show kind places you know. This amp never broke down before. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metal and hard rock, and classic rock. It is a good match for my music styles I play. I've been playin for about a year. If it was lost or stolen I would buy it again or get a Marshall. What I like about it is its loud and good. What I don't like about it is it needs reverb and lil bit of more features but it's a awesome amp. My favorite feature is the distortion cause it's awesome. // 10

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: confuseus420, on march 01, 2004

Purchased from: Daddy's Junkey Music

Features: The amp is about two years old, and with the two channels, it can handle the heavy metal and classic rock styles that I tend to play. The headphone jack helps when I want to play late at night and not disturb anyone, the only thing I wish it had was an adjustment to the mid frequency. // 8

Sound: This really sounds good with the two humbucker pickups that my Ibanez has, the gain makes distortion sound very nice. The only thing is that it kinda buzzes in the cold, or when it is up more than half way. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have never had to get the amp serviced, I use it on a regular basis, so I think I could play this amp at a concert, were it big enough... that is. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar's great for me, I am kind of a beginner, but my friends all like my amp, and how much power it can hold, I got it fairly cheap, considering the brand and the store, so I'm very happy with the amp. // 10

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: jbdk, on february 11, 2006

Purchased from: Instrumentshoppen

Features: I play this amp through the clean channel, using my Boss DF-2. It also has an overdrive channel, but I don't use that very often. I does have a headphone jack and line out. I would like to have seen a reverb on it, but not at this price I guess. I use the amp at home, and it has plenty of power for practicing. // 8

Sound: I use a Samick guitar with S/S/H pickups. It suits my style pretty well, although I would have liked a more "bluesy" overdrive. I play mainly blues/blues rock. The amp can make some very crisp, warm sounds that I like very much. The overdrive/distortion is pretty brutal, but it's too heavy for my style. Overall, this thing sounds great! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for about a week. It seems realiable enough. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly blues/blues rock, and it's a good match. I prefer this to my old Marshall MG30DFX which cost 2-3 times more. I also have a Line 6 POD (which I plan to sell) and an old Boss DF-2 distortion pedal. If it was lost, I'd hurry out and get another one! I love it's looks. Very retro in a funny way. I "hate" the overdrive channel, it's too heavy for my tastes. I love the retro brown knobs. I also compared this to a Fender Frontman 15R and a Marshall MG15CDR. I choose this one because it got the best reviews and it sounded convincing in the shop. Still, I would have liked a reverb, but it doesn't matter, because I will soon get a proper multieffects pedal. // 10

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: wchurchill, on march 15, 2010

Purchased from: Gear4music

Features: I don't know about when this amp was made but I think Vox says it came out in around 2003. Its solid state praciceamp and it looks AMAZING it holds 2 channels (the obvious clean & overdrive) with a treble, bass and gain controls and of cause a volume control, to be fair I would love a mid control on this amp. It has a 6.5 inch Vox bulldog speaker which can be muted by using the headphone/direct out input so you can record on a mixing board or use head phones so you don't deturb your neighbours. Acceptable features for a 50 pound pratice amp but there is more features you cna get on an amp like this (eg. Kustom Dart 10FX, Line 6 micro spider). So this gets a 7.5 (round that up, that's 8! ) // 8

Sound: I'm used my only 2 guitars through this amp (epiphone sg special and my love iabnez rgr321ex) of the bat the clean is amazing as its sounds very warm and clear, overdrive on the second sounds is what lets this amp down as its sounds way to messy and fuzzy (espically with the gain up)its also pretty much very noisey. Though the over Drive is good strumming goods and a bit of led zepplin or deep purple etc. If your going to use distortion with this amp I recommend a pedal (I perfer analog rather then digital so you can get better sounds), I used a DigiTech Grunge pedal though the mixer output on the clean and it automatically sounded great for more mordern/heavier stuff that the in build distortion would do terribly and yes this amp is very pedal friendly. Secondly this amp doesnt't distort at high volumes on the clean but suing distortion pedals and stuff cranking the volume makes its sounds horrible and this amp doesnt't cut through either. All though I said a bit of bad stuff about this amp but overall I'll admit its pretty surburb for a PRACTICE amp and to finish of this section for all you tube lovers the gain on clean increases the volume and makes it sound kidna better-ish which iss similar to valve amps. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've taken this amp on vacation a few times and its had a few falls here and there and spends its time stuffed in a corner but this amp is build like a brick and works fine and none of the of the control pots hasn't fallen of and the jacks are still tight as ever. I'm sure it'll last a good 20 years intill the transistors start to burn out. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a pretty good amp but like me you can find better I have recently switched to a Kustom Dart 10FX which has a very similar clean and a better overdrive channel along with better features (reverd, speak outs etc). But over all this amp will serve you when it comes to praticing and jamming with another guitarist (this amp wouldnet hold up against a drummer). So its a 7/10. // 7

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 29, 2011

Price paid: C$ 50

Features: I bought this amp off my friend for $50.00, he quit guitar. He'd paid $120.00 (I think) for it, and that would have been a bargain! I'm a beginner guitarist, I play for fun. I've just got a few songs under my belt and play once every few days but this amp makes me want to play more. A LOT more. It has two channels, clean and overdrive. The clean channel sounds great with my hollowbody ES-type guitar, very crisp and well, clean. It also sounds pretty good with my Epiphone Les Paul. The overdrive is where it really shines. I have a Boss overdrive pedal that sounded great on my old amp, but it sounds like crap compared to this amp's overdrive. The Boss pedal is since dusty and will probably be sold. The overdrive sounds absolutely awesome and is perfectly suited to the type of music I like to play (The Who, some Foo Fighters and Soundgarden, etc). The amp is REALLY loud for a 10W, on overdrive it's louder than my friend's 25W Traynor. For a practice environment it's great, it's even held up in some jams against a Marshall DFX30 at the 5 setting. I only wish it had a Mid control, rather than just. But for what I paid for it, it is STELLAR! // 9

Sound: I use it with a no-name ES-335 with? Humbuckers, and it sounds great, and with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus with Alnico V Classic humbuckers. It sounds great on both guitars, and both channels. The overdrive is pretty rough, it suits me perfectly but for people looking to play pop-ish rock it may be too much. I've heard it is a very pedal-friendly amp on the clean channel, but I haven't had a chance to test it with anything save for my Boss Overdrive pedal, so I can't really say. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use the amp at a gig because it is simply too small unless I was playing solo in a coffee shop or something. I wasn't the first owner, my friend was, and I don't know what kind of care he took of it. I remember being at a party at his house one time and some drunk guy kicked it over from behind while doing a Pete Townshend impression. I also dropped it myself when bringing it home. Oops. The amp works perfectly, and it seems really sturdy. It was built really well, you can tell from the quality of the buttons and switches and knobs. The only thing I wish that was made differently was a detachable power cord. I'm worried one day it'll get bumped by one of my dogs and get crushed or pop out. The nice thing is the cavity for the chord is big so it can fit nicely in there. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this amp. My next amp with DEFINITELY be a Vox. If it was lost or stolen or if it broke I'd rush to the store and buy a new one for $120.00 + tax without a second thought. This is the best beginner/practice amp I have ever played or heard. Nothing compares to it at the price, not the cheap Fenders (good amps in their own right) or Marshalls (kind of a let down until you- hit 300$+ territory). I'd also like to comment on the aesthetic construction. The face of the amp is very good looking, I'd be proud to have this sitting in my living room. The grille is made of study feeling fabric (with something behind it I guess) with beautiful green and red weaved Diamond patterns. The gold stripe on the face is also metal, I was very impressed by that! The logo however is plastic, but oh well, no loss there. Overall this amp looks effing awesome and everyone that's seen it has commented on how vintage-cool it looks. I am going to rate it a ten despite the few shortcomings because quite honestly, Vox deserves it and they crush the competition. Well done on this amp! // 10

Pathfinder 10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 06, 2011

Price paid: A$ 100

Purchased from: Music express (Local Music Store)

Features: The features are pretty impressive for a practice amp. It had your standard treble and bass controls, (no middle) gain and surprisingly a good overdrive setting. For a VOX, this Drive is pretty good, I play mostly Hard rock and Metal. Sure, it's not the best suited amp, but it actually does a pretty decent job of it. And the price is amazing. Worth every dollar. // 8

Sound: I use a Casino Stage series guitar with standard pickups. (just your standard pickups for a cheap guitar.) As I said before, It actually will do Hard Rock and Metal decently well. BUT THE BIGGEST THING THAT AMAZES ME IS THE AMOUNT OF DIFFERENT TONES YOU CAN GET OUT OF THIS AMP! Absolutely astonishing how much you can get out of this amp. The ONLY PROBLEM is when the Drive is off, and the gain is low, it is very quiet. And suprisingly you can have the driveThe Drive is decently brutal. When people say "you get what you pay for" that is all total bullsh*t when it comes to this amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is pretty much the only amp I use at home, I have never had a problem with the amp, it sounds nice all the time, it also looks very nice! Obviously I wouldn't gig it unless I was on my own in a small crowd. After all, it is only a practice amp. And a bloody good one at that. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this amp, the tones on this go from smooth cleans to heavy distorted sounds and everything inbetween. Brilliant amp, Distorted it can play super quiet and not lose any overdrive, and play pretty loud for a small amp. But if you want to go even louder, I suggest you go for the pathfinder 15. The only problem I have is the volume of the amp when the gain is low. // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ StompLab IG 9 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014