Valvetronix VT100 Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 08/25/2011 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: Valvetronix VT100
In short 100W 2x12 valve hybrid modelling amp with on board effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 8.6
 9.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Valvetronix VT100 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 31, 2009

Price paid: A$ 910

Purchased from: Ellaways Music

Features: You can check the Vox website for the full specs on the VT100. In short 100W 2x12 valve hybrid modelling amp with on board effects. I purchased this amp as a result of downsizing my Marshall all valve rig. I was looking for a 2x12 combo (preferrably all valve) with as much bang for my buck as I could find. I was looking at the Line 6 Spider Valve 212, a Peavey Vypyr and a Fender Frontman 212 or Cyber Twin. I've never owned a Vox amp before and initially wasn't a fan, given that the first one of these amps I bought and tried, the AD100VT-XL, completely died after 20 minutes of playing. The shop immediately exchanged it for the VT100 and they also threw in the optional VFS5 footswitch for my troubles. I have to say I am now a huge fan of this amp. It's loaded with a truckoad of very useable amp models and 60 something amp presets and also lets you personalise and save 8 of your own. It does take some time to find your way around the models, presets and effects at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is an extremely versatile amp and great value. On the downside it loses a few points in a couple areas. It should come with the VFS5 footswitch as standard, because that really increases the useability of the amp's features. What's the point of having the ability to save presets if you have to walk over to your amp every time to access one of them - stupid. Some of the presets have WAY too much volume. Very annoying if you're playing at a suitable level and then you switch to another preset that rattles the walls. No user manual provided. In fact there is no documentation at all. You have to download it from the Vox website and even then there is no manual specifically for the VT100. You have to download the manual for it's baby brother the VT30. When you're spending $900+ I think the manufacturer at least owes you a manual on their product. All up, heaps of features for a great price. Top value! // 7

Sound: My main style of music are pop, country and rock. I have tried this amp with all of my guitars now and am very pleased with the amazing range of tones it can produce. Let me start by saying, if you want that classic valve tone - buy a valve amp it's that simple. But if you can accept a 90% valve like tone for a fraction of the cost, this is the amp for you. The amp has a power control on the back which is the same as a power sponge which is great for playing at home when the baby's sleeping, but it's when you crank this amp up that it really sings. I've played all tube Marshalls for the last 15 years and this amp is pretty damn close to that rich valve sound we all love. So wind it up, play with the settings and you will easily find YOUR sound. The clean models are also pretty close to that gorgeous chimey bell sound you get from true valve amps. A great bonus is that they didn't clip or distort at louder volumes too. One of my pet hates. The effects are also good quality. We're not talking rack effects processor standard, but more than usefull and adjustable. I know it's not a valve amp, but for a fraction of the cost of an all valve amp, you get a pretty damn good "valve like" tone with a bucketfull of extras to help you find your dream tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Apart from my initial concerns with the faulty AD100VT-XL model, I get the impression that the Valvetronix range are soldily built amps. Having spent years of lugging amps, cabs and speaker bins up endless back stairs and loading them into the backs of vans, a good yard stick for me of the quality of something is it's weight. For me, with amps, light in weight = light on quality. The VT100 is heavy enough to be annoying to carry, so it looks like there's some quality there - time will tell. // 9

Overall Impression: For me this is the perfect compromise. The VT100 gives me a more than acceptable valve like tone and heaps of other benefits, for a fraction of the cost of an all valve 2x12 combo. My band days are over now and I don't gig regulary any more, but still want a decent amp for recording and the occassional gig with mates and this fits the bill perfectly. The only things I would need to add to this amp for use in a gigging situation would be a volume/wah pedal and a tuner. Given how many amps there are out there now with these built in, I think if Vox had added those features the VT100 would be the ducks nuts in 2x12 combos. For all the other bonuses that come with it, I can Live with it being a valve hybrid. I would easily recommend this amp and would definitely replace it. Bottom line - It's not all valve, but it's pretty bl**dy close. // 9

Valvetronix VT100 Reviewed by: Itremor, on august 25, 2011

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: This amp was made in 2008 I believe. This amp is a modeling amp, and has 22 equalizable presets. On top of that has this amp 11 onboard effects and an seperate reverb for each preset you make. If you make a sound you like, you can store it in one of the 8 banks, which are footswitchable. This Amp features Valvetronix technology, which means there is a 12AX7 (ECC83) Tube in the power amp circuit. // 7

Sound: I play mostly hardrock like Guns 'n Roses and Creed, some metal like Metallica and Alter Bridge blues and clean like Clapton and The Animals. My guitar is a Epiphone G-400 Faded into an Boss ME-70 from there it goes into the amp. And I can't get enough of the clean tones from this amp. Even without the extra eq from my ME-70 it sounds great. All the Vox models sound great and I found them very useful. The distortions on the otherside; it doesn't matter which preset I used, I couldn't get a good sound out of it. In my opinion the presets lack the gain and the bottom end, even with the bass turned all up. I ended up using this amp the same as my old Roland Cube 30, using my ME-70 as an distortion chanel and also on there a solo setting as my solo setting. Thanks to this, the amp screams, grows, ands sings. I always have the 4 band eq on the pedal on, and gives me great sounds. Without that eq, the amp would sound not as shiny, brutal or mellow as it could be. One thing on this amp that also shines are the build in effects, I think the delay is realy cool, and you can make it sound like The Edge or Brian May, or just leave a short distortion with or without flanger or chorus. The only thing that is noisy is my guitars neck pickup. I can hear a little hum nothing more. This amp has enough power to be heard in a small pub. It shouldn't give any problems. I gave this a 7, because in my opinion, without distortion pedals, this amp hasn't any balls or bottom end. But still very good and usable clean presets also this thing sounds clean like heaven. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can easily depend on it. And I haven't got any problems with this amp. It seems to be well constructed. It's all I can say. It is nice people can upload the presets they've made to the Vox website. You can look at the presets and get the same sound as the peope who uploaded it. // 8

Overall Impression: I am an allround guitar player and this amp suits me well. I've been playing for 9 years and it does it's job very well. I wished it only had more brutal distortion. For more options I couldn't have asked because that is the reason I bought this amp. I am absolutely in love with the sparkling clean channels on this amp. I was disappointed with the distortion presets. If I would lost it or if it gets stolen, I would probably buy a Bugera amp of some sort. // 8

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ StompLab IG 9 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014