Valvetronix VT15 Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 04/24/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: Valvetronix VT15
This amp, practicaly has it all, it's just amazing. It has 22 pre-set chanels, half clean and half distorted.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.8
 Features: 8.5
 9.1
 9.2
reviews (4) pictures (2) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Valvetronix VT15 Reviewed by: montypythonadde, on march 11, 2009

Features: The Vox Valvetronix VT15 was made in 08, well at least mine was. There has been a long line of these amps due the the major populatity and comes with a Vox 12AX7 valve reactor circuit providing the tone power and feel of a good tube amp. This amp, practicaly has it all, it's just amazing. I tend to play a wide range of music from blink -182 to Slipknot to Metallica to Muse and it works so well. It has 22 pre-set chanels, half clean and half distorted. These can be chosen using a dial that selects the channel and then you press the 'preset mode' button that allows you to play it, these preset channels each have 3 different settings of their own which changes the thickness of the sound by pressing the 'preset mode' button again, changing the light from green to Orange to red, and back again. There is a 'manual mode' button where you get to play around with the gain, volume, treble, middle, bass reverb and master. It also offers 11 effects + reverb, so basicly 12 effects come with this amp, which I will talk about in the sound section and I constantly change these about for my different styles of music. This amp will also let you save 4 channels of your own, so you can save your own sound! // 8

Sound: I am using this amp with a Stag Tom Delonge Strat copy, with one seymor duncan invader humbucker pickup at the bridge. The guitar doesn't suit all my styles, so I'm buying an Jim root telecaster soon, but however the amp suit's all these styles very well using the preset channels and the effects creating the ultimate sound using the tube amp sound, for your music. I would however suggest you replace these tubes with ruby tubes if you want more of a metal sound. This amp is noisy! All of the pre-settings are extremely loud, even when the volume dial is on near 0. It's one powerful little boy. I play it in my bedroom, and I need to put it on basicly zero and turn it right down. I also play it in a garage, where I can turn it to just underhalf way and it drowns the bass and other guitar, so you can see it's loud, and I expect it to gig soon. And I have no worries about it. Ok, so the amp has basicly 12 effects, reverb, delay, tape echo, chorus+delay, compression+delay, compression and chorus, chorus, flanger, phaser, rotary, tremolo and pitch. It is amazing what you can do with this amp. It will play any music and gives you great oppertunity to create your own music. The clean channel does not get distorted when it is loud, but can be done but slipping up the gain. The distortion obviously has a wide range of brutalness, there are differnt distortion settings ranging from a slight upbeat distortion good for things like The All American Rejects all the way to the most brutal distortion you can get, and all that's in between. You'll have to play about with it. It also has a Tap button, where you can tap it, say, 4 times then it will play a bass beat 4 times repaeted behind waht you are playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The amp is reliable, I trust it completly and I would gig it without a back up without question, it's solid, reliable and will give you taht perfect sound each time you play. I've not had this amp too long, but it's never broken, never had a problem with it. It does take about 7 seconds for the tubes to warm up, but this is no problem. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great match for pretty much any music, people think they are better off with a Marshall, but your wrong, they sell on their name, unless you have a big double stack it's not worth it, and a Laney amp only gives you a good sound for metal, this Vox is supreme. I own an acoustic, a Kray bass (which sometimes I do put on) and a Stag Tom Delonge Strat copy, which is amazing, I will do doing some work to it, getting a Fender strat neck and headstock, replacing the machine heads and bridge too, only because I want a Fender. But cheeper. I bought this at the same store as my amp, and I love them both. If you can get to it, go! I asked question when I was buying, but as soon as I played it, I loved this amp! If this amp was stolen or lost I would go right back out and buy it again, althoguh there are cheeper models, this is waht I want! I love all the effects on it, but mostly I love the one channel at the top of the dial that is perfect for playing everlong by Foo Fighters. I don't hate much about this amp, but at first it is really hard to understand it fully. Unlike a Marshall which is simple. I compatred this to a Marshal MG series 80 watt I was using for a good while before this. And a limited edition silver Marshal 45 watt, also a Laney valve amp (I was also very impressed by this) but I chose this because of the perfect clean sound it gives, and the wide range of distortion it can provide. It's effects were waht decided it for me though. I do wish it had a hall effect, that would be nice. But all-in-all, it's a great amp, and I advise if you like playing a wide range of music, buy a Vox! // 10

Valvetronix VT15 Reviewed by: Noahman, on march 31, 2009

Purchased from: Deluca Music

Features: I'm not exactly sure when the amp was built but I bought it new last year (2008) so I would imagine that the amp was constructed sometime like early '08 or late '07. The amp has a wide array of effects and distortion so it's easy to play a lot of styles of music. There are two different programmable channels on it and you can Switch back and fourth between the two simply by pushing a button. There is also a headphone jack on the back. There are a lot of different effects on the amp (Auto-Wah, Compressor, Compressor + Phaser, Compressor + Chorus, Chorus + Delay, Chorus + Reverb, Flanger + Reverb, Tremolo + Reverb, Rotary + Reverb, Delay and Reverb) but it doesn't have twang which is the only effect I wish it had. I use this amp with my schools jazz band which is a 30 person ensamble and I constantly have to turn it down so it's more than loud enough. The amp is a tube amp so it takes a minute to boot-up but that's never given me a problem. // 9

Sound: The guitar that I use with the amp is a Aria STG (which is basically a cheap Stratocaster) with single coil pickups. It works pretty well for the styles of music that I play on it, I tend to play hard rock, blues, experimental, jazz, etc. Single coil pickups tend to buzz constantly when you're not playing but that's not the case with this amplifer. The only time that I notice the pickups buzzing is when I'm facing an electronic or metal device (I.e. Computers, televisions, drumsets). Because of the built in effects on the amp, there are hundreds of different sounds you can get on the amp. The clean channel is relible, there usually isn't much distortion on the clean channel when playing loudly. The distortion isn't super grungy but it gets the job done. I don't play very much metal so this doesn't really concern me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is both reliable and durable. I've brought it to numerous gigs and had it for a generally long time and I've never had a problem with it. It's had it's share of dings and bumps and it's never effected the amp in the slightest bit. It is very nicely built, the frame is strong and very durable. I'm a cautious person so I would bring a back-up amp to any gig but if I were to only bring one amp, this would be it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play most every genre except metal and this amp is great for all of them. I've been playing guitar for about two years now and I own an Ibanez Acoustic, B\.C\. Rich starter amp, and an Aria STG electric. I had no questions before buying this product and no questions after buying it, it's a very easy amp to use. If the amp were stolen I would definatley buy another one, it's a very fun and great amp. I love everything about the amplifer, my personal favorite feature on it has got to be the Auto-Wah. it's sound very nice and is fun to use. I compared this amp to a Line 6 Spider and I found this one to be a better buy. The only thing that I wish it had was a Twang effect. // 10

Valvetronix VT15 Reviewed by: emanuel97, on april 24, 2012

Features: Before I got it my friend had it and he lost all the papers and the pedal but I think its made 07 or 08. I play Indie/rock. Its good for everything, doesn't give a perfect distortion for metal and I wouldn't recommend it if you play metal. 4 Channels, enough for me and 11 effects. If you want effects I'll recommend buying pedals to it cause the only good ones according to me is the chorus and tremolo. Sure the effects aren't bad but you don't get much different sounds on the effects. I only use this at home but its for sure a really good amp and I would use it live if I didn't have a better amp. The 15 watts are perfect and the distortion is amazing though not metal distortion, good for me. // 8

Sound: I've played many different guitars on it. Most of all I've used my Fender Stratocaster Special from 78 which sounds amazing, 3 singlecoils. Then I've used my Fender Jaguar Blacktop with two Humbuckers. The humbuckers gives a really fat smooth tone which I use alot for distortion rhythms. There is some hum sometimes when I use it on high gain, not grounding problems but I never play with very much gain and if I would I'd get a Noise gate to keep it quiet and even without a noisegate it isn't that bad. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's very stable and feels like a brick, not the weight part but its solid and would easily survive a gig. I've had it for about a year and it has never broken down on me: I've never experienced any problems with it. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned before I play indie, rock, some funk and blues. Pretty much everything. When I don't play own songs or with band but covers I play The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, RHCP, The Libertines and alot of other bands. I've played guitar and bass for about two years and I own another Yamaha amp and live I play the Yamaha or what they have there (don't gig that much). there's nothing bad bout this amp if you don't play metal or very distorted music. Wish it had a 1/4 headphone jack though. // 8

Valvetronix VT15 Reviewed by: Kinslaya, on january 25, 2010

Price paid: € 179

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I think the two other reviews showed the features really well. It's just a modeling amp with a tube. I think thats called hybrid, or something. It has a wide variety of styles from ultra clean, to Fender Twin, Vox AC XY, to US and UK Highgain to Metal. So, it suits just all. In my opinion. The effects go from all things, flanger, delay, comp, chorus, rotary, tremolo and several combinations of that. And a TAP-Tempo. Very cool. I for mine dont use many effects, so they are not that important for me. But it's cool to just fool around sometimes. The Reverb (which has its own knob) is just amazing. I like the sound of that wide "room" and u can really tweak it. THE REAL DEAL is the POWER LEVEL. As there is a tube in the VT15, that acts a bit like a "Endstufe" (Dont know the word, "outputstage"???). Whatever. Fact is: like a real all tube amp the distortion gets more creamy the more the volume and master is "up". But, that would be loud as shit. So theres a Power Level on the backside. So you can crank up volume and master (And u want to crank it up, its just awesome! :)) and decrase the power. So u can play with volume and master all up, even at 11 p.m. This amp has preset and bank options to store the settings of amp and effects. But I dont use it, so it doesnt go into my judging. Unfortunatelly, the pedalboard for this amp costs another 80 , so i'm a bit angry, cause with the board this amop would really have stage-quality (Switching channels and effects, 'n so) I buyed this amp for playing in my room. I had a noname-solid-state-amp that was just shit, so i needed something new. In the practiceroom of my band i have a 120 w all tube Peavey (a Windsor), so it had to be a tubeamp. Sadly there arent many tube amps that are good for playing at home (in the bedroom), so the VT 15 was a compromise. But a good Compromise. I give it a 9. It has really all and it is user-friendly. Sadly the pedalboard is damn expensive, but thats not that bad, the power level-knob offsets that. // 9

Sound: I play a Gibson Les Paul Studio, built in 1996. I play most hardrock n classic rock (Bhse Onkelz, Guns n Roses, Pink Floyd) but sometimes other things too. RHCP, Hendrix, or just a bit Pop. Everything that just comes to mind. But my homebase is Hardrock and Classic Rock, so I need a nice distorted, british sound. Lets begin with the clean models: They are like real amps, if you crank the gain, they distort. If you tweak the settings, theres everything from warm to bright. You really have to play with the knobs on the amp. If you inmcrease the gain you can even let it distort very creamy (like a real TUBE amp). Rolling of the gain on the guitar cleans the whole thing up. All Voxes are there, AC15, AC30, AC50, and so on. I don't like the original Vox-Sound that much, but that's my own opinion. But that's just me, dispassionate they sound nice. There is an amount of distorted amp models, each has a historic background (With a bit imagination you know "who's who?". In the user manual every amp is a bit "described". Nice to read too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Just got it a few weeks ago, so I cannot say how about that. The only thing I don't know is the tube. You can't see it at the backside of the tube, so you would need to open it to switch it. But it really looks lasting. I give it a 9, cause all others categories got one, too. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I bought if for playing at home. It has everything I need (Really nice amp-models) and even more stuff I don't use at all (effects, bank and preset-storing). It has warm tube sounds and the wide variety of modeling, so you could say "the best of both worlds". If it was stolen or something I would definetly buy another one, cause it's just amazing for playing at home or jamming with a few others (It's very handy and not too heavy). Maybe I would even gig with it in a tiny club. I give it a 9. It's digital, it's modelling and whatever, but it just nails the sounds I need and I like: Good, harmonic Distortion. // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ AmPlug Twin 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 05/30/2014