Valvetronix VT40+ Review

7.9
reviews (10) pictures (2) 35 comments vote for this gear:
Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: ctgblue, on august 18, 2011

Purchased from: Eastside Guitars Gvll SC

Features: New amp, 33 MUCH better models than the older Valvetronix models. Once you get into Manual mode you can find all these amps without the effects. And MOST of them are REALLY quite good! But get out of "preset mode" to find them. It has stompbox effects, modulation effects, reverb, and a noise gate (set per channel when saved). Line out, headphones out, CD in, etc. NO effects loop and a 10" speaker gets it a 9, I use an outboard EQ. Also goes to 60 watts where others stop at 40, so it can keep up in a Jam with a tube amp player. // 9

Sound: This does from a super clean "cannot break up" model all the way to the full tilt boogie high gain and metal amp models. Jazz - yes; blues - yes; classic rock - yes; silly drop tuned head banging - yes it can. I play several humbucking guitars and play from accoustic sim stuff to stupid 'bang my head' metal stuff (yes us 40+ guys love metal too). I play chord tones to lead "I wanna be a shredder when I grow up" solos. 30+ years of playing and I have not seen this good of a practice - light Jam type amp. I bought this due to a temporary crippling injury that left me in bed for 8 weeks and I wanted to start playing again and the 85LB combo in the other room wasn't coming to me. I wanted "nu metal shred tones" at nightime "can't sleep due to the pain at midnight and don't want to wake the house" volumes. This does that and much more, and it can get REALLLLLLY LOUD too. I had a Blackstar HT5 which was great but needed just a little too much volume to sound really good. So I traded it for this. I was so pleased with this I got the footswitch when I could stand again. It did EVERYTHING I wanted it to do and therefore gets a 10 from me (I don't like to give out 10's). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Sturdy, seems solid, Vox has a good reputation. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, for this money, which is more than the similar powered competition, it should have: 12" speaker, effects loop, a noise gate that is easier to set and stays on. So I give it an 8. BUT, the models are better than anyone elses, and easier to get to (come on Fender, wake up). So I would give it a 9 here with the above fixes, due to the price difference. But it got me playing again, and wanting to learn and get better. Thanks Vox. // 8

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: Mr E Meat, on june 04, 2012

Features: This is the strong point of this amp. 33 amp models from super clean to brutal Soldano and Peavey 6505 models, piles of stompboxes and pedal effects, 3 types of reverb, programmable banks for your settings, and everything else you can possibly imagine. If it sounded good this would be a great all in one amp for a beginner because of the huge amount of versatility it gives you at a low cost. My favorite feature is the headphone output, this amp has an actual headphone jack. Unlike other amps, you just take your headphones and plug straight into the top or take an aux cable and plug it into your computer and you're ready to record. Easy and convenient. // 10

Sound: I've played a few different guitars through this amp, my main one being an Ibanez RG3EXFM1 with a duncan distortion pickup set. Here's where the amp falls apart. I don't know if I just got one with a bad speaker or something but I really can't find a single one of those 33 models that really sounds good. The cleans all sound fairly anemic and the distortion amp models mostly sound very muddy. I bought this amp to play metal, ska, and punk rock. The cleans weren't bright enough for ska but were passable. I did manage to find one metal amp model that was alright, still a bit muddy but doable (the AC30 red model). This amp is completely hopeless for a Marshall type punk tone, everything is either way too clean or too distorted. Overall this amp sounds quite terrible on most of the models. I spent a lot of times frustratedly trying to dial in a good setting to no avail, and plenty of other times where I stopped practicing or practiced unplugged because of how much I disliked my tone. My standards aren't high really, right now I'm using a Marshall MG15CDR I paid $40 for (an amp commonly accepted to be trash) with an Ibanez Tubescreamer for punk rock and ska and that gets the job done infinitely better. The Valvetronix series gets a lot of acclaim on the forums and reviews and stuff but for all that, I think mine sounds awful and everyone I know who has tried mine agrees with me completely. I've tried others at stores to see if I just got a bad speaker, they all sound exactly the same. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This amp seems fairly reliable, I've given mine a fair amount of knocks and abuse (carried it to band practice twice a week on public transportation) and besides a few scuff marks on the corners there's been no effects. The knobs and the casing both seem indestructible. I wouldn't gig this amp without a backup because I wouldn't gig it in the first place, but I would expect it to do alright, provided I just used one setting for the show. The reason I give this section a 7 is because of a few quirks related to the sound. This amp is a bit strange because changing the eq or the gain doesn't seem to take effect except when you turn it on/off. So say I decide to scoop my mids halfway through band practice I need to turn it on and off for that to take effect. This was frustrating before I figured it out because it felt like my eq changes were doing nothing. The amp also changes stompboxes/effects slowly by cycling through them. Again, the solution to get it to work right away is turning the amp on and off. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of thrash metal, punk rock and ska. This amp, while it should be able to do all of those with the insane amounts of combinations of models and pedal effects it has, can't do any of them well enough to be worthwhile. I've been playing for about a year now but I bought this amp when I was just starting out and giddy to own any amp that had enough distortion to not need me to use my Boss ST-2 distortion pedal. I bought it because I wanted a Peavey Vypyr tube or Peavey 6505+ Combo but didn't have the money and felt my skills didn't justify such an expensive amp. I'm correcting that now by selling this amp and putting the money in my 6505+ 112 fund. If it was stolen I would be annoyed that I lost something worth money but would not care otherwise. I have not touched this amp in months and the only reason I still have it is that I haven't found a buyer yet. // 5

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2011

Purchased from: Casa Libertella (Argentina)

Features: I don't know where the year that my amp was made, I think it was made in Vietnam. This amp Has 33 Amps Simulator, 22 Effects (Distortion Included) and 3 Reverbs. It has a Built In Tuner, Headphone Jack (Normal Headphones) and an Aux Input. It has 60 Watts of power, I use the amp on stages and for practise. It has a tube in the preamp. // 9

Sound: Mainly I use a Dean Razorback Db with killswitch or a cheap Epiphone SG Special Cherry, This amp sounds Great on Clean, But I'ts a little weak on Distortions, it can handle Blues, Rock, Hard Rock, but in metal It only handles Metallica, Iron Maiden, From Thrash To Heavy, but you will need a Distortion Pedal. The Presets Are Awful, I use 2 presets, The Message In A Bottle and Wonderwall. Because Enter Sandman Preset, Sweet Child O' Mine an the others are so digital. The Metal Distortions sound really Bassy, but I like the distortion in the red channel of Vox AC30 that Distortion Rules. I play Rock, Blues and Metal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can use this amp without a backup because it's built like a tank! It doesn't seem to be a weak amp. Those chicken knobs would stand still even if an atomic bomb blows in front of it, my amp has never broken down, and that tube seems very solid, this amp Rocks! // 10

Overall Impression: It matches my music style that I play. I've been playing for 4 years. I own a Marshall JCM 900 High Gain Dual Reverb and a Fender Mustang II. If it were stolen I probably would Buy another Amp to make a review. This is not a bad amp, But I need to know the competence. I love the clean effects and that Rock'N'Roll Drive that it produces. // 8

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: VoXBOss2011, on october 28, 2013

Purchased from: Matchetts Music Belfast

Features: I got my Vox VT40+ for Christmas 2011. It came with the amp, and the connector lead. It's a combo amp which is a first for me. I use it for my everyday playing, and have gigged it once. It's ood amp for beginners. It has 99 different presets, for example, a clean channel, a custom channel and a song channel (the song channel uses the built in amp sounds at set levels to recreate the sound of the song, such as "Raining Blood," "Hot for Teacher," "Enter Sandman" and others. This amp also has 11 pedal effects, 11 modulations and three reverbs. It has two channels each with 4 programmable slots for a total of 8 programmable sounds, which can be switched via the Vox VFS5 Fooswitch (not included). The amp also comes with a built in tuner, which is easily accesible and very sensitive. The amp has a manual feature which allows you to set the presets as you like, the same as a normal amp. The amp features a 3 band EQ, Volume, Master volume and Wattage output knobs, as well as the effects and amp knobs. This amp also has an auxillary in for iPods, MP3's and phones and can act as a speaker, and also a headphones jack for quiet playing. The housing is very sleek and stylish, being a simple black w/silver trim. The Vox and Valvetronix logos are in silver chromed plastic, and there is a metal strip just above the speaker. The instruction manual was informative and easy to read. // 9

Sound: This amp gives a warm sound, similar to that of a valve amp, but with the right distortion settings, it can give a nice solid state sound too. I use this amp for mostly playing Metal, Rock and Blues, and it ha stood up perfectly every time I've played it. I use only this amp and a guitar which givers a beautiful sound, and I have figured out my ideal settings. The distortions can be noisy at times, but the amp comes with a built in noise compressor which is quite effective, but only when cranked quite high. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very reliable, I have gigged it once without a backup and it stood up very well to that. It has a 60 Watts of output (It had the conventional 40 and an added 20, hence "VT40+") and can get quite loud at times. The hardware seems to be sturdy and well constructed, with the exception of the headphones jack being seemingly easily broken/damaged. The main jack input features a metal housing which is sturdy and strong. The handle is also well constructed and durable, but can be uncomfortable at times. The amp is relatively medium weight, but can get tiring if lifting it for long periods of time. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this amp is a good amp for anyone looking for a practice amp, it can satisfy people who play blues, rock, funk, traditional, pop, rock, metal, and more. It has numerous different settings, combinations an sounds, and will keep you very busy trying them all out to find one you like (it took me a year and 8 months). I play this amp with a Dean Razorback V (Dimebucker in the bridge) and I have found the perfect settings for me (U.S. High Gain, Overdrive, Gain and treble on ten, mids on three and bass at round 7. No other effects) and this is perfectly suited to my style. One thing I would change, would be the chomed pieces of plastic, and, make them actually metal, for a more authentic feel. If it were lost or stolen, I would immediately buy another because I feel that this amp is exactly what most players need. My favourite feature is the built in song settings, with my top 3 being "Raining Blood," "Enter Sandman" and "Five Minutes Alone." I wish this had a better Marshall simulator though, the current one is good, but it has too much crunch and not enough clarity or razor harp distortion. // 8

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: g_lew2108, on june 28, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: The amp was most likely made in 2010 in Vietnam (Under the license of Vox UK). I sold a Marshall MG100DFX in order to buy this amp (which compared in price some may think it's a downgrade, but far from it). To my surprise, I could even get the exact tone the MG gave me, plus all the other tones as well. The amp comes with a 12 AX7 tube preamp which gives it powerful tones. Headphone and CD in are included. I bought this amp because I wanted a tube amp, and this gives the perfect sound, with modeling features (the new meets the old). VT40+ allows me to crank it up to 60 Watts, which is definitely enough for a practice amp, and definitely enough to mic up at a gig. // 10

Sound: I use this with my Gibson LP Studio and with the Vox amps (AC15, and AC30, standards and custom) I can finally get that very bright sound I've been looking for. With the Marshall presets I can still get those warm heavy tones, and through a tube as well. Some of the built in effects sound cheap, but you can't expect to have it all. The gain built in to the modeling amps sound great, but if you want more overdrive the built in pedals don't cut it. I actually use a real pedal through the amp models rather than the built in pedals. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built very well. The grill cloth is built the same way old fashioned Voxs were, but rather just in black (which I found a website that customizes the cloth and logo to make it look retro). Vinyl on the side seems that it may scratch easy, and there are no protectors on the corners. Speaker sounds great, although I would have loved a Celestion for it's reliability. Nothing has yet to break down, and I've cranked everything up before. // 10

Overall Impression: I used to love playing heavy metal, and now I play UK rock, modern rock, and the likes. This amp gives me the exact tones I need to play what I want. I've been playing since 2000 and have gone through 4 different amps, few different pedals, and only one modeling board. I would recommend this to anyone from starters to advanced players. It's simple to get the hang of for beginners, and allows advanced players to play with infinite sounds. I would say the ability to get bright clingy sounds, to rich warm tones, and the preamp tube are my favorite features. If there was one thing Vox could work on it's the built in pedals so I could get a more realistic sounding stomp box. For being a Vox the price is excellent for what I paid for. Very content with the purchase. // 9

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: Nahuelgrox, on november 22, 2011

Purchased from: Casa Libertella (Argentina)

Features: Vox Valvetronix 40+. I don't know what year this amp was made in. But the amp is VERY versatile, you can play anything, from Blues to Black Metal (I'll explain this later), It has 33 Amplifiers with 11 built in Distortion/Pre effects and 11 effects, This amp has almost everything, except good Heavy distortions. I use this amp at gigs and everything, it can play with a band and it even can sound louder than a drummer. This amp has a valve (12 AX7) in the Preamp section. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone SG Special and a Jackson DXMG with this amp, It suits every style you want to play, but, this amp doesn't have good heavy distortions, you can play from jazz, country to hard rock without having a distortion pedal, because the heavy distortions aren't very good. I use a DigiTech DF-7 and a Boss PW 10 with this amp and it kicks ass, I play Thrash Metal with a band and it sounds Very good, But, you'll need to crank the volume up if you want this baby to sound good, because it doesn't sound good at low volumes. It's noisy when you've got a lot of gain, but a noise suppressor will get rid of that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built like a tank, but there's one problem, the amp selection knob is a bit loosy, so you can change between amp models if you move the amp a little, but that's not a big problem, the amp has never broken down and it's a beast!, I've kicked it one time (I've triped) and it didn't do anything. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Blues, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Hard Rock, and rock, and this amp can do that for sure (With a distortion pedal of course), I've been playing for 4 years and I had another "Nameless" amp that wasn't very good. If this amp were stolen, I would buy another one because it's the best amp in that range of prices, I love the looks of the amp too, it looks sexy. // 9

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: rioter78, on january 16, 2012

Purchased from: Big Apple Music

Features: For the price of this amp, this has a lot of features. This is a pretty versatile amp because of the music that I mainly play, Classic Rock to Heavy Metal, this is a great all around amp. Overall, it has 99 presets. 33 different amps, 11 pedal effects, 11 different general effects, and, 3 different styles of Reverb. It has both a headphone jack and an auxillary input. There a few effects that I never really use, but they are there and they are pretty nice to have. I only really use this amp in a small room, but because of the great feature of selecting your wattage output, I can play this, have a great sound even though it's at a low volume, so I won't disturb others with it. Although, I can increase this amp all the way to 60 watts if I want to. This is a very solid, great, all purpose tube amp. // 9

Sound: I have a Fender Strat, so obviously, I have single coil pickups, but I also have another old strat look alike with a single bridge humbucker pickup. Because of the versatility of this amp, I can play most any style with both guitars. There are a few amp settings that are lower than the others, like the UK Rock special (yellow) setting, and obviously, the clean/cali clean settings are low, but that's about it. It can go from a very clean, almost sparkle type setting all the way to all out heavy metal. At higher levels, the clean setting is distorted, but not enough to where it has a heavy tone. The distortion is perfect. It's brutal enough for any metalhead. I mean, it could be more, but this is not solely a metal amp, but, it's very versatile. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This amp is pretty dang reliable. If I didn't have a backup for this in a gig, I wouldn't fret (ha...). I picked this amp solely because it sounded better than any other I tried out in that wattage category. Because this is a relatively new amp, I haven't had it broken down or had any problems in general. // 9

Overall Impression: I mainly play stuff like hard rock to heavy metal, but I also play some lighter, classic rock. This is a pretty nice match to what I play. I have been playing for about 3 years now, but, I have no other gear along with it. The only thing I wished that I asked before buying this is if they had the pedal footboard designed for this amp to switch the different user presets I put in, but other than that, nothing else. I love this amp for the power and features it has. I have no complaints about this amp thus far. My favorite feature would have to be the gold drive, it works well with so many of my amps, but my 2nd would probably be auto-wah. I have compared this amp to the Line 6 Spider IV 30 Watt, and, the Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt, and this was the best choice for me. Frankly, for a first amp, I don't really need anything else. The price was right, seeing how they sold it to me for $50 less than the original sticker price, I got a pretty good deal. // 10

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: Philly.ca, on january 24, 2012

Price paid: C$ 299.04

Purchased from: Triangle Music, Port Alberni, BC, Canada

Features: $267 + $32.04 tax. $80 for optional pedal. I believe the year it was made in is 2010. Very versatile for the styles I play; blues, rock, hard rock, 80s/90s metal. It has a good range of models to choose. Some typical effects, flanger, chorus, reverb. Comes with 1/8 inputs for audio and output for head phones. // 8

Sound: I am using a Squire Affinity Strat HSS, and an Epiphone Explorer w/ Epi Alnico Humbuckers with this amp presently. For its size, you'll be shocked at what it puts out with sound. It has a very clear, clean tone to it, not very dull. Great over drives for rock/blues and hard rock. Haven't over worked this at high volumes yet, I use it mainly for a practice amp, headphones on and off. I use it to Jam with friends as well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought this amp for its size and portability to what it can actually put out. Built very sturdy, it can be packed around easily in and out of trunks, back seats, on the bus or where ever. Give it a few minutes when you turn it on to warm up! There's no preamp/standby settings on this amp. // 9

Overall Impression: If you are hard nosed about what you play, strictly single styles, this isn't your amp! But it you want to go Jam with some buddies, or in a club, you can dial in your presets in the four channels with the optional pedal. If not, once you learn how to adjust your controls, very easy to use dial knobs, just dial in a setting, your playing blues, dial in a clean channel and play some Beatles, tweak it for beach boys, dial in something heavier and you're right in to AC/DC or Metallica. Not overly complicated for the beginner/intermediate player, very user friendly! This was the type of amp I was looking for. Nothing over the top because I'm not a professional musician. I just need something I can use that sounds great, is easy to transport, comes with a good quality pedal to change channels easy, and for the price, and this was it! // 9

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2012

Features: This is a 120W tube driven amp made by Vox. With hundreds of dollars worth of effects put into it and 99 cool presets, this thing is going to keep you very busy. Features: - tube-driven Vox Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 vacuum tube for true tube tone; - optimum 80W output with maximum 120W output from unique Power Level control; - 12" Vox Original Speaker - 99 Expertly voiced presets; - 33 Song presets spot-on recreations of the sounds used on classic tracks; - 33 Basic Amp Model presets: Valvetronix amp modeling at its robust finest; - 33 Effected Amp Model presets created with variety of effects including chorus, flanger and tremolo; - 25 In-demand, top-quality effects, including 11 pedal-type effects, 11 modulation/delay effects with Tap Tempo control, and 3 reverb styles; - 8 User Programs for saving your favorite custom settings; - Accurate amp models encompass the entire Vox lineage from the traditional AC30 to the modern Night Train, plus an impressive list of other hard-to-come-by classics and rare high-gain boutique models; - Gain, Volume, and Master Volume controls; - 3-band EQ; - Unique Power Level control can limit the power amp output wattage, creating distinctive power amp distortion at any listening level; - Built-in automatic guitar tuner; - Newly revoiced Vox original speaker ensures ample power; - Headphone output simulates the acoustic and spatial character of a full speaker cabinet. // 9

Sound: The sounds, once you spend time dialing in a good tone, is incredible. It does take a lot of time however to get a good sound out of it, but once you do, you won't want to shut it off. However, this amp is confusing to use at first. It is deffinetly not a plug in and play amp, and the presets don't sound all that great. I had to read the manual to figure this thing out. But in the end, it was worth it. The tones I am now getting out of this thing that I now know how to use it is incredible. TAKE NOTE: This amp is noisy as hell!!! Definitely invest in a noise gate if this is something that easily pisses you off. I don't have too much of a problem with it, but I am still going to purchase a noise gate A.S.A.P because this thing is that noisy-even on the clean channel. Overall though, the sound is more than I expected from it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp can definitely take a beating. The speaker covering is made of silk, so that is something to watch out for, but this thing is thick and heavy as hell, so there is no need to worry about it breaking on you. It isn't the most portable, because as I said, its pretty heavy for an amp as small as it is. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, not bad. I definitely would recommend it to people who are looking for a Metal machine that can also get beautiful cleans. I bought this over the glorified Roland Cube 80XL, and I do not regret it at all. To me, it sounds better.

// 7

Valvetronix VT40+ Reviewed by: prazskycanuck, on january 15, 2014

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Muziker

Features: There are many reviews here telling what this amp can do, but basically it has 99 presets - 33 amp models of some of the most beautifully made amps in the world... Almost none of which I have played through because this amp is made to allow you to play amps worth thousands of dollars but only pay a few hundred. It also includes 33 amp model presets (including effects) and 33 more that are preset to specific famous songs. It includes a smattering of effects, including several types of overdrive, fuzz, delay, flanger, etc etc. It also includes 3 reverb modes and a noise suppressor.

The amp also allows you to create 8 user settings to create your own preset sound. It includes a line in for cd/mp3, as well as headphone jack.

The amp uses one valve in the preamp to provide a level of tube tone, which makes it a bit warmer sounding than other modelling amps. It says it goes up to 60 watts, however, the difference I could distinguish between the 40 watt level and 60 was very minimal. It is played through a Vox stock 10 inch speaker, of which I have not been able to determine the actual wattage through several searches, but I assume it is 60 W.

It is very feature rich, however to a point I see some of it as unneeded cheap filler - particularly in some of the onboard effects. For that I give it an 8. // 8

Sound: I have played rockabilly, country, folk, blues, pop, rock, alternative, funk and jazz on this amp and there is a sound to be found on this amp for any of those, as well as metal, and harder stuff - although I don't usually go that route. The band I play in plays rock, alternative, pop and blues mostly, and for 90% of what I need the amp for, I have found some very nice sounding tones. The Fender Twin, Matchless and Dumble models are really nice, and the Brian May AC30 has amazing high gain sounds!

The key to getting good sounds out of this amp is the valve. My experience is that none of the amp models sound really good a low levels, but turned up high, the amp can really sing. I play an Epiphone Les Paul Classic with Seymour Duncan PRail pickups, and this amp rings beautifully like a bell on the clean models and provides amazing tones with the overdriven models. Took me some time to find the sound I liked (especially since I was playing with it the first full in just in an apartment and at low levels... Remember I said you need to drive the tube to make it sound good), but I really love the sound it puts out.

As for the effects - I have to be honest that I don't get any pleasure from using too many of them and generally don't. The only effects I use on this amp are the multichorus, reverb, compressor, and pitch shifter - if I want to have a bit of fun. However, I found that the dial to dial in the effects is very fiddly - not sure if my model is a bit faulty. Instead I prefer to create presets (I have the footswitch which can be bought seperately), and play through an array of other pedals for a higher quality effect. The amp plays well with stompboxes in general - although depending on the amp model used, and the effect pedal, they could react badly to each other. But this is the case with any amp. I have a delay pedal, fuzz pedal, dual overdrive, wah, and tremolo... all which work well with this amp on the models I use.

Is this amp loud enough to compete in a band? - Close, but not quite. The other guitarist in our band plays a 15 W all tube head through 2X12, and we have quite a loud drummer. I was able to compete in the jam space if I placed it properly. However, live... well I was always drowned out. I needed to be on all 10s, and the end result was nobody heard me anyways... and I blew the speaker. I would recommend it for a good practice amp in a decent jam space, but it definitely needs to be mic'd up for live performances, or nobody will hear you.

I am not a player that needs the 99 presets. I don't need 70 % of what is in this amp. I just need some beautiful sounds. I get that from this amp, and if it weren't for the cheap sounding effects, I would give the sound a 10 - for a modelling amp, it sounds amazing! But filler makes this amp less than it really is and so I give it an 8. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This amp is built very well. It is sturdy, and can withstand lots of bumps. As a basic amp, using the basic tones on basic "models," I would say it is nearly unbeatable in quality - after all it is a Vox. I have played it for over 2 years and nothing too wrong happened with it... until that the speaker blew. Of course it is obvious it will blow when you are playing for a few hours on all 10s. So I can't totally fault the build. It does get other marks against it though for the faulty effects dials which make effects like delay and chorus unusable unless you want it on full. Aside from that, I haven't had any trouble with the electronics, and pulling it apart, it looked very well put together - clean and tight. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I have played with this for about 2 years. I love the sound it makes and the reaction it has to the SD PRails switching from P90 mode to single coil, to HB - it just sings. Friends were skeptical when I brought this to practice as well but were very impressed when I turned it up and revved up the tube inside. When I compare the sounds other modelling amps like Line 6 and Fender - this one just beats them hands down.

What I love about this amp is simple - it gives me the opportunity to find the tones I like from several different amps - all in one box. And the sounds that come out from it are extremely pleasing to the ear. It is extremely versatile and works well in many different genres, so I am not worried about not being able to find the sound I want, no matter what I am playing from twang to scream rock.

What I hate about the amp is the built in effects. I would rather have the amp with the models well done and the reverb dial included and that is all I would need. But they are there, and if you don't switch them on, you don't notice them so who cares.

I thought about selling it to get an all tube head. Instead I decided to keep it and just save for the head... Mostly because I just love the sounds it can make and it is a great size for practicing and jamming. If it were lost or stolen, I would most likely buy it again when looking for another practice amp. // 8

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ StompLab IG 9 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014