VT100 Review

8.1
review (1) pictures (1) 13 comments vote for this gear:
VT100 Reviewed by: fourthstring, on january 25, 2011

Purchased from: Sticks 'n' strings

Features: Some of the features that the VT100 includes are 22 different amp styles from a light Acoustic to a heavy crunch. In addition, it has an effects loop which you can use while are in Manual Mode lets you cut out any effects until you are mastering your sound. The VT100 is a 100-watt amp (hence the name) and it gives great tone but can be a little overwhelming at times. (Think: bedroom, closet, back of your van, etc.) But, thanks to a small knob on the back, you can adjust the wattage so you don't have the fuzz swooping down on you every time you try to jam. I believe that the VT100 is superior to it's 50-watt counterpart simply because the power (and tone) lets you crank up the crunch to ungodly levels without the use if an external speaker. Incidentally, if the face-melting decibels this machine is capable of churning out are not sufficient for your apartment or duplex (or basement, for those of you have not yet "flown the coop") you can plug an external system into a port on the back of the machine. Also, it has a headphones jack on top which enables you to practice your Killer riffs even while your creepy girlfriend is asleep. (Yes, we know about her.) // 10

Sound: The VT100 is almost perfect for my playing style, that is, hard rock/ metal with a little bit of depressing Acoustic thrown in. (Weird huh?) The amp's "Boutique Metal" setting is very complete and with the right pickups is excellent. On the opposite end of the sound spectrum is the clean (acoustic) channel, which is perfect for Satch's "Tears on the Rain" or the opening to "Enter Sandman." I have experimented with the clean channel and even at ungodly levels the sound remains remarkably clean. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that this amp would hold up in a gig and it has never broken down, but then again I haven't lugged it around to many places so I can't say for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I think this amp is very good. I have never had any problems with and only have a couple complaints. One of those is that the preset sound for "Enter Sandman" (the electric guitar part) is very un-fabulous. Another is that some of the settings whine when the volume is turned way up. Don't get me wrong, I love this amp and were lost/stolen I would not hesitate to get the same the same one. In my opinion, this amp is the perfect product for someone who is serious about their music (this thing is expensive) but hasn't yet settled on what their music style is. If I were to add any other features, I would make the range of sound more extensive, but other than that, there is not much that I would change. // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ AmPlug Twin 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 05/30/2014