VT20+ Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 04/07/2014 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: VT20+
The Vox VT+ series is an update of the original Valvetronix series of modelling amps Vox released a few years ago. Overall, if you're still learning or need a versatile practise amp, this is a great option for the price.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (2) 24 comments vote for this gear:
VT20+ Reviewed by: matt8819, on july 11, 2011

Price paid: C$ 170

Purchased from: Axe Music

Features: This is my first review, so it may be a bit wordy. The Vox VT+ series is an update of the original Valvetronix series of modelling amps Vox released a few years ago (the exact date escapes me). Released in 2010, the plus series has 33 amp models, each model has the basic amp, the tone from a classic song, and the amp, plus effects, for 99 different preset sounds. Add to that 25 effect models, 3 different reverbs, 8 channels to save your favorite sounds a built in tuner, and the optional foot switch, and holy hell this thing gots it all. There's a headphone jack, and an auxiliary input jack, so you can play along with the music on your mp3 player without waking anyone. The amp has a 12AX7 tube built in to the power amp, and the power level control lets you lower the wattage of the amp without losing the sound of a cranked tube amp. The foot switch(totally optional) is loaded with features, too. You can Switch between all 8 banks on the fly, and if you tap the button of the bank you're using, it acts as a tap tempo for the delay, phaser, flanger, and probably more that I've yet to find out. // 9

Sound: I play an Ibanez S570DXQM (all stock), and an Ibanez AS73 with Seymour Duncan pickups, through a DigiTech Whammy, a Vox Wah-Wah, and a Boss CS-3. I play whatever I feel like at the time (usually Queen, Dio-era Sabbath, or a small amount of the easier Satriani songs), and this amp is literally built for that. The sound quality isn't as good as playing through, say, a Triple Rectifier, or an AC30, but it's a good jack-of-all-trades amp. It's not a terribly noisy amp, and it has a noise gate built in, so any hum can be cancelled out fairly easily. I won't get into the specific sounds it can make, or the quality thereof, but there are a couple things worth mentioning. First, the reason I bought the amp is one of the presets is a model of the Brian May signature AC30, and it sounds great. Actually, the best sounds the amp has are the Vox amp models. They're also the only ones they can actually name without getting sued. The other thing that sold me on this amp was he quality of the distortion you can get, especially at this price. Seriously, this box has some savage distorted tone, even at low power levels. I only really have 2 problems with the amp, one being that the cleans tend to break up, even with lower output pickups. Any time I need a totally clean tone, even on the clean models, I have to roll the volume back on the guitar to less than half. Problem 2 is really not major, but on most settings, any wah-wah I put through it sounds... broken. The sweep seems almost divided into 3 or 4 parts, with no modulation between them. There's a chance it's my pedal though. Still something worth checking out before you buy it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for a few months, and use it for an hour or 2 a night, usually, and no problems with it yet. I don't gig, but I assume it would be good for a smaller room, it seems reliable, and the footswitch seems pretty durable. One small note, even with the power level turned totally down, if you leave the amp on and leave it alone, it makes the occasional pop and crackle sound. Nothing major though. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, if you're still learning or need a versatile practise amp, this is a great option for the price. I've been playing for a hobby for a few years, and this amp is everything I need and more. I whole heartedly suggest buying it. Side note, I wanted to give it a 7.5, but I rounded up. // 8

VT20+ Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2012

Purchased from: Andertons Music

Features: The Vox VT20+ is a hybrid modelling amp introduced in 2010/11. It hass 33 amp models in 11 catogries, 11 pedal effects, 11 modulatio/delay effects, 3 reverbs and noise reduction. It feature 1 12AX7 in the power amp to make it sound 'real' and a power attenuater so you can crank it with out you parents sacrificing you to the god of silence (maybe a tad extreme). // 9

Sound: Overall this amp sound awesome. The cleans can be sparkling, vintage modern or weird and otherworldly and the crunch/distortion models can be raw, raucous, crushing and searingly insane, being into Vintage rock and roll, garage punk, blues, mod, proto metal, punk, new wave etc (preferring garage type trash tones). For my forays into metal and hardcore punk the distortion is great and the 'org distortion' (BOSS DS-1 replica) makes for great Husker Du tones. Some times you get noise particularly with tremolo on high. Basically whatever you play you can get good tones, one complaint is the fuzz is based on a fuzz face and that is note to my particularly to my tastes and I can't get the true trashy tones I seek. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this for 6 months and it seems fine, eventually I'll have to change the valve and I'm not sure how to access it, also it seems the frame may not be sturdy, it seems to be cheap wood, but treated with respect it should be fine. But as far as I can tell its built to last and last it will. I gave it 9 as I've only had it 6 months. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said I play garage rock (The Sonics, The Seeds, Count Five, The Gruesomes, The Gories etc) and have been playing over a year but would like to think I am an intermediate in skill terms I possess a hand made PRS copy (my first guitar), a Strat copy I painted black and red and an Avon SG Copy from the 60's with two single coils and a humbucker I use for hardcore/metal. // 8

VT20+ Reviewed by: ctlscout, on april 07, 2014

Features: This is a modeling amp with built in effects. Most of the models are pretty good, but a few really shine. The effects are nice but relatively impractical unless you have the footswitch. I wish the footswitch was included, I would definitely use it to switch from clean to dirty channels. The Valvetronix series are hybrid amps, meaning part tube part solid state. I think this amp has two tubes. The tubes definitely give some warmth to the tone. The amp has many knobs and buttons to dial in effects. The tap tempo switch is nice for delays. It also features an aux in and headphone jack. This comes in handy. This amp is small, but it cranks. You don't need a bigger Valvetronix. Just mic this one. // 8

Sound: I play a little bit of everything, but mostly U2 style-worship-pop-rock. Washed out delay, overdrive, swells, that kind of thing. The Vox AC30 and clean Fender models sound fantastic for this. Leave the volume, gain, and master volume on a lower setting and turn up the power level for a great clean sound. The dirty sounds are great too, especially when boosted with an OD pedal. I don't use the effects that much. Sometimes I'll add compression from the amp but that's about it. My pedalboard is a TC Polytune 2, Ernie Ball VP Jr., Boss Blues Driver, and a TC Flashback Delay. I play a Fender Squire Strat. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I perform usually twice a week with this amp, but I practice with a band for at least 6 more hours per week. I don't have a backup amp because I can't afford another amp. Plus I don't need one. I clearly depend on this amp. All the knobs and buttons are solid. The aux in and headphone jacks are flimsy, but I rarely use those. I've had this amp for at least two years, and it's taken a lot of abuse, but it's sounding better than ever. It hasn't worn that much either. Just a few nicks here and there. // 10

Overall Impression: Fantastic amp for the money. No, it doesn't sound like an AC30 or a deluxe reverb, but it sounds really good. I've been playing for about 8 years. If this amp was stolen, I'd think twice about buying something different, but I think I would get a Fender Blues Jr. Not because I don't like this one, but just to try something different and simple. If you are a beginner and don't want to spend a ton of money on an amp but still want a quality piece of equipment, get this. If you are a pro, you probably should only get this for practice or as a backup. You probably have something amazing already. Love this amp! // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ AmPlug Twin 7.4 Guitar Amplifiers 05/30/2014