VT30 Review

8.8
 9.2
reviews (16) pictures (1) 32 comments vote for this gear:
VT30 Reviewed by: LTD-F-250, on june 12, 2009

Features: This amp is very Versatile. I can play heavy metal like Slayer and then click another chanell and play some Jimi Hendrix. There are 4 channels, and there is a headphon jack. This amp has a lot of effects like flanger, delay, phaser and many more. This amp is a modeling tube amp, so it's not a tube amp but still very good. // 8

Sound: I have a Schecter hellraiser c-1 with EMG 81 85. I play mostly Metallica and all that thrash stuff and it suits my needs. This amp is very loud when the power level is turned up all the way, but it doesnt sound good when its at its max and this amp should not be used for gigging. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had no problems when it comes to breaking down or anything. I take very good care of it though, but it has not shut down on me or anything. It does take about 1 minute to warm up and actually make sound but that doesn't really matter. The metal grill on the amp I think is cool, but stuff can get behind it easily though. // 10

Overall Impression: This amp is good for metal. The metal bull setting with the right setting, has a good metal sound. This amp is very good for the price. I probably would not buy it again though if it were to break. But I am overall impressed by it, just because of the price and that it has a good sound for that price range. But I would save up for a better amp if I were you. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: Snowy Dark, on june 24, 2009

Purchased from: Deluca Music

Features: This amp has 11 different effects, and 22 different amp sounds. The effects include Phaser, chorus, delay and tape echo, all of which are adjustable in speed and intensity. It has sounds ranging from Boutique, To overdrive, to Heavy metal sounds. It is programmable and has gain, volume, mid, treble, bass, reverb, and master knobs so it is pretty adjustable. It doesn't have the power to play shows or anything, but for practice it works just fine. It is a tube amp. However, one problem with the amp is that there is no clean channel, so it is always slightly distorted. If you turn the gain down, the amp will simply get quieter, so you must have the volumne and mster knobs up high if the gain is down. // 8

Sound: I use a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and I play classic rock, Alternative, and hard rock. It can adjust to play all three genres, as well as metal. It can get pretty loud without ruining tone. A few of the settings sound a bit fuzzy, but there are so many that that is insignificant.the variety in tones, as previously mentioned is pretty amazing. The distortion can be mild or insane depending on what it is set to. Overall, very good sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had the amp for about a month and a half, and it hasn't started breaking yet. The shell on it is hard and sturdy, and I would trust this amp to continue working for a while more. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any music which is not too reliant on totally clean sounds. I have been playing for around a year, and this amp suits me well. If it were stolen, I would most likely buy it again. My favorite feature is the effects, such as chorus, phaser, flanger, etc. I compared it to the Line 6 Spider III 15W, and this a much more refined and all-around nicer tone. I wish it had a clean channel. Overall, this is a pretty great amp and I would suggest it to any Who wish for a new practice or recording amp. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2009

Price paid: € 220

Features: I was preparing to buy this amp for a ferw weeks. Have read all available reviews, seen demos etc. This amp is definitelly very versatile, on the other hand the number of models is not too high, which is good OK to me - I prefer quality, not quantity. Features that I miss are: tuner and aux input. The latter I miss, however I knew that before I bought the amp. The best think is the poewer attenuator, which allows you to play at low volume with full tube-like tone. I use this amp for home practising only. // 8

Sound: I use this amp with Cort EVL Z4 guitar with passive EMG pickups. I play 80s and 90s thrash. Before I used MetalZone pedal with low end solid state 0 Watt amp, I was not satisfied with the sound. I use also DigiTech RP250 multieffect connected to my home HIFI, I can get nice distorted sound out from this. I expected better results with new Vox VT30, I have to say that I am little bit disappointed. The amp itself is not very good for metal palying without using aditional distortion in front of amp. The metal amp models do not have enough gain and distortion is fuzzy an muddy. I like clean, bright distorion free of noise with enogh crunch. I cannot get it with the VT30. I tried to add distortion in front of amp with simulation of Tube Screamer from my RP250, the sound gets much better with more crunch, but still lacks the dynamics and does not sound better than the amp models in DigiTech multieffet. The models of clean and "softly" overdrived models are better. Overall, sound from VT30 seems to me "caval", and reminds me of sound that you get when hitting the pot with the spoon in kitchen...Unless you are not very demanding, dont expect good metal sound from this amp. On high gain amp models there is a lot of feedback noise and hum, but you can easily reduce it with editable noise gate. There are also several affects like delay, chorus, octaver, flanger, phaser etc, which in fact do not interest me, so I will not comment on their quality. The only effect useful to my playing was the reverb, which sounds good in my opinion. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I cannot comment much on durability and reliability, but amp seems good built quality, no flaws. It weighs 12 kg, and looks masssive. Chickenhead knobs are easy to operate, nothing was lose etc, I think this is really no crap and also looks stylish. I have had the amp only for few days, so dont ask me how reliable it is in long term. // 9

Overall Impression: Still, for the money it is quite good amp with little tube-like feeling of the sound, probably good enough for clean and slightly overdriven hard rock or blues sounds, but there is too fuzzy distortion for anything more nad always present hollow sound of big pot being hit by metal spoon. The metal models are not very good themselves, you will have to add some ovedrive or slight distortion in front-end and spent some time tweaking the sound. Fortunatelly you can save up to 8 own presets, which is enough. I will return the amp and look for something else. // 7

VT30 Reviewed by: johnbaldwin, on november 10, 2009

Purchased from: Vox/Fair Deal at LiveMusic NEC, UK

Features: Bought this amplifier two days ago and I am extremely pleased with it. I have two other combo type amplifiers (non valve) and the tonal quality of the other two is no where near as good as this Vox. The valve preamp does make a difference and sounds great after a short while to warm up. All the features are listed here already so no need to repeat again. I do wish there was an effects send and return on the back but not that important as the effects not already included on the amp can easily go between my guitar and amp. I only use for home use and it will eventually end up in my son's possession one day. I am confident it will last for many years until then. // 9

Sound: I use two retro fitted humbuckers in an old '89 stratocaster. I want warm sounds with a little bit of distortion and this amp seems to be great for that. The amp is loud enough for my requirements. Have not tried the more heavier distortion tones much but I think they would sound great when the volume cranked up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I only use at home and not had any issues with it at all. I would be confident to gig with it. Never broken down in short time I have had it. Never had a valve amp before so I don't know how long the preamp valve will last but I think it is easy to replace and they are easy to purchase. I like the way you can see the valve glow red inside when you look through the slit's at the top of the amplifier, although I am concerned I might (or my clumsy son might) spill my beer down them? Maybe there's a nifty drainage hole in the bottom, but never looked. // 10

Overall Impression: I like rock, blues, some heavier stuff. I have been playing for 20 years and this is the most versatile little amp I have ever owned. No need for patch leads and effects pedals anymore, this does the lot for me and more. Nice compact sturdy construction. If there was anything else on it I would opt for a guitar tuner built in like most of the other digi-combos on the market, but I can tune a guitar from a pitch fork quite well so not essential for me. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2009

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Mega Music Store

Features: The VT30 was made in 2008. Allows me to play a big variation of music styles from The Beatles to Metallica. It has 22 different amps. Twelve different effects and three can be used at the same time. Four channels. No headphone Jack. Can buy a speial effects pedal to go with it (would be very useful) // 8

Sound: I play with a Fender Squier which isn't neccesarily a great guitar but even with the amp it still makes it sound good. I vary my music from The Beatles to Metallica and this amp allows both to be played easily. The amp is 30 watts and can give quite a lot of sound. The amp can sound clean but it there is still a bit of fuzz, it sounds much better when made to sound a lot heavier. The distortion is very decent that was what I found to be the most impressive feature. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have only had this amp for a month or two and have had no problems but whenever a different amp is set the sound gets reset unless you just twist one of the knobs a little bit. I would use it in a gig but only if I had everything very well prepared before I started playing. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a very good match for the style of music that I play but only for people just getting into the intermediate levels of guitar. I have been playing for about two years and am quite happy with my amp. If this amp were stolen and I had the same budget as when I first started looking at amps I would buy this amp. I love the look of the amp and the effects but I dislike the way the sound goes up and down when you Switch amp styles. It was a decision between this amp and a Peavey, but I went with this amp simply because it looked much better and had a larger variety of effects. // 8

VT30 Reviewed by: Garlic Owl, on july 24, 2009

Features: This is a very versatile amp, it can get a clean tone, a highly distorted tone and almost everything in between. There's 4 channels, and 11 effects. Honestly, I don't know too much about effects but they sound pretty good to me, but I really don't use them. I use this amp for my bedroom and it does the job with ease, I'm don't really think you can gig with this amp though. Only things that really tick me off is when you Switch from amp model to amp model, the volume changes, and with some models you have to play with the settings to clear up some of the muddiness. The reverb has it's own setting on the panel which is better than having it down under effects. I've used the headphone jack and it sounds decent through my cheap studio headphones. I've never recorded with this amp but I will in the near future, hopefully the quality won't change. // 9

Sound: I have an Ibanez ART300 and it has active pickups. I play blues, metal, and some rock. This amp suits all of those styles perfectly. I've only cranked the volume up a couple times and it gets pretty loud but you can't gig with it unless you mic it or something. It gets some strong ass feedback when you have the gain and volume cranked up so you'll have to play with the settings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't really ever had to deal with any technical issues with this amp due to the fact that I just purchased it about 2 months ago. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said it can pretty much suit any style really. I've been playing for about 10 months, but I've been pretty dedicated. This compared to my Roland15, it's no contest the VT30 comes out ontop. If this amp were lost or stolen, I would burn the asshole's house down when I'd find them. The only thing that I don't like about it is the fact that it changes volumes when you change the amp modeling and you have to play with the settings to get rid of feedback/muddiness. All in all, this amp is an extremely good buy for the price. // 10

VT30 Reviewed by: luyano, on august 17, 2009

Purchased from: Audiomusica

Features: I bought this amp as my birthday present and I'm very happy with it, Here in Chile a new VT30 is near to the $400 US and I bought this because there was an offer with 20% free on the all amps so this was a great deal. I think that this amp was made in 2008 or 2009 because is of the newest Valvetronix series, I play from Pop Rock to Blues Rock to Hard Rock to Alt. Rock to Thrash Metal so this amp is really nice to me, I can get from those Fender-ish cleans to a nice British distortion to that modern Hi-Gain. It has 66 preset settings that are really nice but I never use them, I prefer to tweak the knobs and find my tone. I can save 8 settings that I use for all of those styles. It has 22 Amp models that are these: -BOUTIQUE CL/MODDED CL: Dumble Overdrive (Clean)/Fender Showman (Dumble Modded) -DELUXE TWEED/TWEED 2X12: Fender Tweed Deluxe/Fender '57 Twin Amp -SUPER 4X10/TWEED 4X10: Fender Super Reverb/Fender Tweed Bassman -AC15TB/AC15: Vox AC15 (1960's Top Boost)/VOX AC15 (1950's EF86) -AC30HH/AC30TB: Vox AC30HH/VOX AC30TB -EXPRESS TRAIN/BOUTIQUE OD: Trainwreck Express/Dumble Overdrive (Overdrive) -AC50CP2/AC30BM: Vox AC50CP2/Vox AC30BM Brian May -UK 25TH/UK '80S: Marshall 2555 Slash Jubilee/Marshall JCM800 -US '90S/CALI METAL: Peavey 6505/Mesa Boggie Dual Rectifier -UK MODERN/UK '90S: Marshall JVM/Marshall JCM2000 -BOUTIQUE METAL/METAL BULL: Diezel VH4/VHT Pittbull I use this amp on my bedroom with the wattage knob low and I use to Jam with friends with the necessary volume, it can get loudet than I thought before. It has Delay, Tape Echo, Chorus, Comp, Phaser, Flanger, Rotary Speaker, Tremolo, Octave, Pitch shifter and independent Reverb, I couldnt imagine that I could buy an amp like this, the effects sound really nice but I use some of them only. It has an Phone Jack but I've never used it. I would like to have the VFS5 Footswitch but I is sold separately. This is really necesary beacuse I know that you don't like to stop playing and go to press a button on your amp to change from Clean to Distortion. // 9

Sound: I use a Squier California Stratocaster with S-S-S config. I know that with single coils is really hard to get a hi-gain tone but this amp make my Strat sounds heavy enough to play Metallica or Dream Theater. It has noise reduction but I don't use it beacuse my guitar has single coils and it produces that ankward hum and when I try to take out the hum, I got to use a lot of noise reduction and this ends shuting notes, I prefer my guitar being noisy than muted. On the clean models I use them with the gain knob at 12 o'clock because it acts like a volume knob and with the other volume knob and the master volume I can set it to sound clean and loud without getting dirty. On the Gain Channels I use the gain dimed, yeah it may be crazy but I've always done it on any amp or pedal because I just like it. Some say that it can't handle Metal but I don't think so, it makes my Squier sounds "br00talz". It is noisy with Hi-gain but it is because I'm using single coils, every thing else is nice. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played gigs with it but I think that it could nail some small gigs. I got it since last week only so I doesnt't have a lot of experience with this amp but it really looks durable, I've heard that the Vox logo may fall from the grill but I don't think that it can happen. // 8

Overall Impression: I've mentioned all the styles I play and yes, this is a good match for me. I've been playing since 2006 and this is my second amp, I've used a Freeman 15W crap amp for the last years and finally I bought a new amp. I got a Vox Bulldog Distortion for the Freeman amp and it sounded great, but with this amp it sucks because when I turn on the pedal on my clean setting it sucks a lot of tone and volume. I tried Marshall MG's, some Ibanez amps and a Roland Cube 20 and this amp killed them all, I think that the footswitch should be includedbecause it helps you a lot. If it were stolen I would buy it again but maybe one of his bigger brothers like the VT50 or the VT100 if I'm gigging. Nice amp if you play need a lot of versatility on a practice amp. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 05, 2009

Features: I recently got this amp from guitar center, and was blown away by the amount of features. As its been stated so many times in these reviews, it has 22 different amp settings, and each amp setting has a Basic, Effected, and Song style. There are 8 channels: 2 different banks with 4 channels each. There are 11 effects, each with 3 edit selections. The most helpful feature for me is being able to reduce the wattage. If I'm practicing in my room, I'll turn the knob in the back to 15W so I can keep the master volume full, to get good tone. But then, I can just turn the knob to get the full 30W playing great. // 10

Sound: I'm using a MIM Strat, playing anything from Pink Floyd to Metallica. I've had the amp for a week, and haven't had any noise problems. There's a noise reduction feature that can be adjusted manually for every guitar. This amp excells at Rock tones, but it can also get pretty good metal distortions, if on the right settings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a brick. The chrome plate in the front is solid, and the amp iself isn't going to go anywhere. It is absolutly durable, but I haven't had it long enough to know if it is reliable. For that, read the other reviews here, which all say good things. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this amp so much. It is absolutly wonderful and would reccomend it to anyone. It is the best value in this price range, and is higher than any of its competition. There is nothing wrong with this amp, and I wouldn't trade it for any other (the $100-400 price range, that is). I would make the same decision in an instant! // 10

VT30 Reviewed by: jpnyc, on january 04, 2010

Features: This amp was made in Vietnam in 2009. The range of amp model and effect options offered is great. Not being able to control individual effects in a chain is really annoying. The independent reverb is huge improvement. Headphone output is emulated and bypasses the tube. It doesn't sound great, but it isn't bad. It's a shame this doesn't come after the power amp and attenuatorit's really easy to blast your ears silly when changing settings with headphones on. The VT30 has enough amp models and features that it can actually be a little confusing to use, and the manual isn't great. The VT controls are an improvement on the AD series Valvetronix amps, but are still an example of horrible interface design. The effects and the EQ are both sensitive and aggressive and they are not numbered, so you'll be doing lots of tweaking. The noise gate controls are buried in the edit button knob and are changed by using the bypass mode followed by the tap and edit knob. The especially useful attenuator knob is on the back of the amp for some stupid reason. Beginners, people short on time, or anyone who doesn't like to screw with an EQ will be frustrated. If you plan on switching instruments or styles get the footswitch. The next series of Valvetronix amps need a complete redesign by a competent interaction designer. But what they need even more is a USB connection and control software so that users can chain effects and save/swap presets. // 7

Sound: My guitars are a stock 1997 Mexican Strat and a 2009 Schecter C-1 EX. The sound of the guitar is excellent. Cleans are just beautiful and warm and take a pedal just fine. With a little tweaking some cleans can be used with a single-coil neck pickup to give a sound almost like playing with a wah pedal. Distortion is more touchy. Blues and classic rock are great. Metal is a harder; the VT30 can do metal but you really have to play with the noise gate and the EQ to keep it from getting muddy, especially as you tune down. But that's where the multiple user preset channels are handyI have one channel of presets EQ'd for my Strat in E and a second EQ'd for my C-1 EX in B tuned to B standard. All the metal amp models have a thrashy sound, so you'll probably need a pedal for buzzsaw death metal. But that's not so badit takes pedals so well that you'll have no trouble using it with a Metal Muff or Landmine. The speaker is great, but sounds best at higher volumes. If you're playing at night you'll be better off with headphones than with the attenuator. It would be even better if the speaker were tilted back. Because it doesn't point up you really need a stand (just use the box) to make it sound good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Only had the amp a few days so that limits what I can say about reliability. I will say that these Valvetronix amps are rock-solidit's hard to believe they come out of Vietnam. The downside is that if you ever have to open one it will take fifteen minutes to get all the bolts out. The big downside to the design is that the switches, knobs, and vents pointing straight up makes them more vulnerable to dust and liquids. I can understand doing this with the controls, but with the vents it's just plain stupid. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing on and off for fifteen years, and I'm using this amp to play again after not playing for the last five. People like to bitch about modeling amps, but these things are a huge improvement over the nightmare that practice amps and pedal used to be. This is actually my second Valvetronix amp, my first was a used AD15 that I liked enough to upgrade. I really love the sound and features, I just wish they were user-friendly. Valve has gone too far in dumbing down a very sensitive Tool in a misguided attempt to help beginners and preserve their historical look. If someone steals it I'll definitely get anothernothing else combines tone, features, and sound so well at this price. But if somebody else develops a competing hybrid with good control software I'll sell this amp in a heartbeat. // 7

VT30 Reviewed by: barfrog, on january 04, 2010

Purchased from: amazon.co.uk

Features: My VT30 was built in Vietnam in 2009. People have stated the feautures of this amp a million times, but what the hell, here they are again: - standard Vox 30 watt 1x10" 4-ohm speaker - Vox Valve Reactor circuit, which employs a 12AX7 designed to emulate a real tube amp - 22 amp models, these are: BOUTIQUE CL, DELUXE TWEED, SUPER 4X10, AC15TB, AC30HH, EXPRESS TRAIN, AC50CP2, UK 25TH, US '90S, UK MODERN, BOUTIQUE METAL, MODDED CL, TWEED 2X12, TWEED 4X10, AC15, AC30TB, BOUTIQUE OD, AC30BM, UK '80S, CALI METAL, UK '90S, METAL BULL - 11 editable effects models (only one of these single or combined effects can be used at once, along with the independant reverb): DELAY, TAPE ECHO, CHORUS, DELAY+CHORUS, COMPRESSOR+CHORUS, OCTAVE+CHORUS, FLANGER, PHASER, ROTARY, TREMOLO, PITCH, NR (Noise Reduction) and INDEPENDANT REVERB - 66 preset programs (this basically means that each of the 22 amp models have three different settings: green [the effects are toned down], Orange [the effects are more prominant], and red [the tones of specific songs are recreated through each amp model]) - power level control (this allows you to adjust the power output of the amp to anywhere between 0.2 watts to the maximum 30 watts) - input jacks: 1 x input, 1 x foot switch input (for the optional Vox VSF5 foot switch), and 1 x phone input All in all you're pretty well catered for with this amp, especially considering the price. The VT30 contains all the feautures (variety of amp models, effects etc) that you'd expect to find on a modelling amp, but perhaps its greatest boast is the handy power level control, which basically allows you to adjust the volume of the amp without losing any tone whatsoever - very handy if you dont want your neighbours to hate you. // 9

Sound: I'm currently playing a Yamaha Pacifica 012 - not the greatest guitar in the world but acknoledged to be a very good budget axe - and my varying musical styles include electro/synth, classical, pop, classic/blues/alternative/hard rock, and metal. The VT30 covers pretty much all of this, and allows me to switch between styles with ease. The clean amp models are tonally beautiful and rich, and the rock tones are crunchy and edgey. There is a slight issue with some of the heavy tones - for me the metal amp models are fine and the amount of gain is decent, but for anyone wanting to go heavier than Metallica, a dist/OD pedal will probably be required. The effects are fantastic, the amp models are all useful and cover a good veriety of styles, and thanks to that valve reactor circuit, theres no danger of overly-digital sounds. I haven't cranked it yet, but the power level control feature means that great tone can be attained at whatever volume - though there will probably be quite a bit of expected hum at high volumes. Finally a special mention must go to the Noise Reduction, which cleans up the backround noise, but at the same time doesn't saturate the tone. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its barely moved since I bought it a few weeks ago, but everything looks solid. The metal grate on the front seems to collect fingerprints (nothing a dry clth can't sort out), but apart from that there haven't been any issues with reliability or durability, and there probably wont be for the foreseeable future. As for gigging, I'm not quite at that stage yet, but I think the VT30 could stand up to some very small venues, depending on how loud the drummer is. The 30w model is designed for bedroom use, and thats what it should be used for, but physically I think it could be trusted at a gig without back-up. // 8

Overall Impression: Id recommend the VT30 to any beginner, or anyone looking for a good modelling amp. Tonally, it stands out above the rest of the amps in its class (Marshall MG30FX, Line 6 Spider IV, Peavey Vypyr etc), and it pretty much matches them all as far as features and ease-of-use go. Everything about it is designed to make you think and feel like you're playing a tube amp, and considering its low price I think it comes pretty damn close. If you play thrash/death metal then steer clear, other than that I can't sing its praises enough - if I had to make the same decision again, I would definitely go for the Vox. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: elementwood89, on may 12, 2011

Purchased from: Star Music

Features: Very versatile practice amp/small venue amp. This amp has 22 amp models that cover everything from Stevie Ray Vaughan to AC/DC crunch to 80s/90s metal. One great feature is the knob on the back that controls how much power goes to the tube, it comes in handy when mic'ing for high gain at low volume. It has 2 channels that can be set to your liking with an optional footswitch that switches channels and bypasses/turn on effects. The built-in effects aren't my favorite sounds but way better than some competing amps in the same price range. I also like the option where you can tap in the tempo and adjust the parameters (great for find Edge like delay sounds). There is a speaker output for this amp, but 30 watts isn't enough to power much more than a 210 or 112. If I could add a feature, it would be nice to have a second input. // 8

Sound: I've played an Epiphone Les Paul and my American Strat (my baby) through this and think it tailors to both very well. The only thing I would recommend doing is changing the speaker. I believe it originally had one of the lower quality celestions in it, but after replacing it with an Eminence Patriot speaker the raw punch and spank of my strat really came out. Great for blues and many styles of rock. The only sound I haven't been able to find is a good fuzz sound, but that can be fixed by picking up a Fuzz Facepedal (Jimi all the way son!). Haven't had too much extra noise with this amp, its capable of some noisy feedback at high volumes, but very controllable. The clean channel can get decent volume without distorting, at least enough to keep up with a drummer during small Jam sessions. The distortion can get pretty dirty, but may not quite be in modern metal territory (it's enough for me though). Those curious about volume, it gets pretty loud for a valve state amplifier. Definatly capable of keeping up with a band at practice and maybe even getting a noise complaint if cranked. However it still does not hold a candle to my AC30 (all tube). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Its pretty solid, I've taken it apart a few times when replacing the speaker, dusting circuitry, fixing the jack. I have had the jack break but that was my fault for leaving a cable plugged in (thought roomates would be smart enough not to trip over it), pretty simple to fix though. I haven't used this as a gigging amp, but if my AC30 were to ever burn out a tube or cut out on me I'd be comfortable playing with it. // 10

Overall Impression: Great durable practice amp, I needed something easier to transport for practice and jamming that still offered tube-like tone. Other practice amps I've played with are Marshall MGs (which sound like garbage in my personal opinion), Roland Cubes (decent, but more sounds with VT30), and Orange Tiny Terrors (fun amp, but somewhat of a one-trick pony). If I were to lose this amp, I would either buy the new valvestate AC15 or perhaps another VT (50 or 100, just so I can power a 212 for that umph). // 8

VT30 Reviewed by: Scarified96, on may 16, 2011

Features: This amp was made in 2010. The amp is very versatile, even a little too much for me. It has 22 different amp models and 11 effects and a separate reverb. It's a hybrid amp and it contains a solid state preamp and a 12AX7 tube in the power amp. It also has 8 memory slots for your sounds. This amp can handle everything High-gain humbucking metal to single coil Pink Floyd solos. What I don't like about this amp is all the variety of sounds in it. I'm just not comfortable on getting a lot of sounds that I kinda like instead of one or two sounds I really like. I've found a few sounds that I like and play with. But it took some time to find my sound from it. The other thing are the memory slots. There aren't actually channels on this amp and it really bothers me. Instead of them I got 8 memory slots which I use maybe 2 or 3 of. But all in all, it's a good practice amp with 30 Watts of power and a 10" Vox original speaker. The tube in the power amp gives some serious balls to the solid state amp models. I personally would not take it out for a show which requires a lot fast channel-switching and effects. // 7

Sound: I use my Fender Blacktop Stratocaster HH with this amp. The guitar does coil-tapping so it's very versatile and can be used to try out this amp. I play pretty much everything that I get inspired by, but mainly roots-on hard rock and metal. The amps can be used in many different ways, but I mainly use it with one clean and two different distortions. The amp models I use are "Boutique "CL"", "AC30BM" and "UK Modern". They all sound kick-a-s. This amp is a little noisy, but it has a noise suppressor. I personally don't use it at full because it easily cuts out my sustain. It's also kinda annoying that there's just a little noise on the clean settings too. There's so many sounds that I can't say if it sounds bad or good. Try one out and find sounds you like. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp. It's very well built. It's built like a tank. The front grill really protects the speaker from in case you're playing a show and somebody in the audience is like "I love you, have my shoe!" I think it will serve me good for years to come. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good amp with low volume but some serious balls. I've been playing for about 4 years and I'm not that good. I don't need this amp for a band because I'm not currently in one other than my school's band which has it's own amps. Before I got it I had looked up some solid state Fender amps, Roland Cubes and couple more, but I ended to this amp because the demos on YouTube sounded better, Vox is a legendary brand, it had sounds I wanted, and it just looked so damn cool. Overall a terrific amp for practice and possibly studio. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2011

Features: May I just say, in terms of features, it's a Vox amp. In their usual fashion, they've gone very far in this aspect. Prebuilt into the amp are 22 different amp models split across 2 channels, ranging from soft, clean amp presets to more punchy, heavier ones. It's a similar story with the effects prebuilt, with 11 different effects, including delay, chorus, tremlo, etc. Also there are a few effects that are doubled up, for instance chorus delay, just to add to the versitility. Reverb has it's own seperate control away from the effects bank, so it's posible to run 3 effects through. Fo the 30 Watt amp I chose, it has plenty in terms of volume, for home use and occasional small gigs. A nob on the rear of the amp allows variable Watt output which is helpful in many situations. This is a modeling tube amp, so you get a much rich tone compared to conventional solid state amps. In terms of features it had exceeded my expectations. // 10

Sound: I run it through many guitars, mainly through a single coil Fender Strat. When cycling through the clean amp presets, the tone is really quite nice. The full sound of the Vintage Strat pickups can easily be noticed. With a bit of gain on the more punchier amp presets, again the tone cannot majorly be faulted. These really are the 2 main boundaries my style slots into. I do occasionally play it through heavy distortion, however I think a lot of the tone is lost. In my opinion the tone becomes quite muddy, which I have noticed with all of my guitars, even through humbucker pups. If you only use it for bedroom use and practice, really it can't be faulted unless you have really high expectations. With the quality of the built-in effects, I have no problems at all with them, very nice high quality which I expected from Vox. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp for over a year now and it's still going strong. Nothing at all has gone wrong with it, and I play hours on end with it. With the question of whether I'd gig with it, I have done on quite a few occasions, only small scale gigs mind. Again volume is plenty. I wouldn't bother with a backup amp at a gig because I've not had a single problem with this amp. You'd have to be a very unlcuky guitarist for this amp to fail on you. // 10

Overall Impression: For the style of music that I play, it completely fits the bill. I fully uitlise the built-in effects (apart from pitch for obvious reasons) and quite possibly 70% of the amp presets. The other 30% don't appeal to me for lack of tone, however I very rarely play anything that requires this amp setting so s'all good! When put up against other solid state amps in it's price range, this one comes top. Maybe other amps such as Peaveys support a better heavier tone, but lack on the sheer amount of features and quality of cleaner tones. If this was stolen, I wouldn't buy a new one because I want a tube amp! That means nothing though because it's a quality amp and would be very sad to see it go. I'd give it a 10 overall if it supported the same tone that other amp presets offer, otherwise it would be perfect for what it is. Nice one Vox for a quality product. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2011

Purchased from: Brandolino's Encore Music

Features: This particular amp was made in Vietnam, not entirely sure what year, but most likely a 2010, 2009. I play mostly worship music at our youth group, which can range across a number of styles, some super-clean and airy sounds to some heavy distortion. One VERY nice addition to this amp is the wattage output knob. I'm a bit persnickety when it comes to my tone, and I hate the fact that lowering the volume on the amp has a tendency to change it. By using the master volume and wattage selection, however, it's easy to get to the right volume without causing too much damage to my tone. The one issue I have here is that there is no 1/4" output jack. The headphone jack is nice, but I tend to plug in to a sound system, and mic'ing my amp has a tendency to throw off the mix a bit. // 9

Sound: I'm typically using a Hanson Cigno with Hanson soap-bar P90 single-coil pickups. The amp and the guitar seem like they're made for each other, I love the creamy, warm tones it gives. The versatility is also fantastic - it can give you a fairly clean sound or a pretty heavy distortion - because the styles I play are in a pretty large range. The amp is a little noisy, but I think that's mostly because of my single-coil pickups more than anything. I've only used humbuckers through it a couple of times, and it's much less noisy, but it doesn't get the same kick. If you're looking for a specific tone, this amp can probably make it. The only thing it struggles with is a purely clean tone because there's no clean channel. You basically have to pick between volume and purity when it comes to clean channels, but enough reverb or delay can mask it pretty well. Speaking of the reverb and delay, they're really great. Sound beautiful when used right. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had the amp for more than a year now. It's never had a problem, even after experiencing a power surge during a storm without surge protection (said surge fried a friend's Peavy amp). I regularly gig with it, the 30 watts are more than enough to get the job done when you're plugging into a mixer. // 10

Overall Impression: With the versatility I need to be able to play nearly any worship song, the VT30 is pretty much everything I need. The amp compliments my guitar perfectly. I've been playing for nearly seven years now, and it's my third amp (after a Crate Acoustic amp and a Rocktron), and it's by far my favorite. It gets the job done. I've used it with my looping pedal, putting the pedal right before the direct box that plugs into the system (meaning after the amp) and it's worked out so far. It would be nice to have an effects loop for some extra stuff but it can easily be put before the amplifier. It's nice to have the effects that would go into said loop built in. The only thing it really NEEDS is a 1/4" output; I keep breaking 1/8" plugs since I tend to move around a lot and step on cables and such. // 9

VT30 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2011

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: L&M

Features: The VT30 is a 1x10 amp that uses a small, vacuum tube to create a unique sound. It has 2 channels and usually comes with a foot switch to change channels as desired. The great thing about this amp is the features. At least 10 pre-sets ranging from clean, funky, poppy, and all out rock. It also has tons of effects options like reverb, chorus, delay and flanger. I do not play in a band and I don't play gigs anymore so this amp is great for the at home player or a weekend Jam with friends. A 2x12 version is available for someone in need of more ummph! // 10

Sound: I play a MIM Telecaster with Seymour Duncan HOT Rail pickups. I play mostly hard rock, punk and blues. This amp suites my needs just fine. The amp is not noisy and the small vacuum tube can really pack a punch if you open it up and crank up the volume. On the other hand you can open up the tube and leave the volume on low (if you don't wish to wake the neighbors) and you will not lose the rich tube sound. As stated above the amp has tons of effect and sound options. I love the reverb sound on the VT30. There is also an adjustment knob for the reverb and other effects so you can really play with it. There are alot of distortion options on this amp and in my opinion they all sound very good. I do find the distortion gets a tad fuzzy at really high volumes and I do not like the sound I get when I plug a distortion pedal into this amp. Mind you... There are how many pedals on the market? So it may just be mine (Boss ODS 2). // 9

Reliability & Durability: This amp is definitely reliable. I have owned it for over 2 years and it is still going strong, no issues. It is very heavy for its size, something like 40 pounds, which is great because its a sturdy little thing but not so good if you have a bad back. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall; if you like hard rock, punk, blues and are not playing large gigs every weekend, this amp is a great buy. If you do play alot of gigs but need a good practice / studio amp, check out the VT30. I would buy this amp again if I had to. I love the distortion options, the mini tube gives a very rich sound and the reverb is amazing. // 10

VT30 Reviewed by: wi32y, on february 01, 2012

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: The amp I bought is a 2010 model. The amp literally does anything, you name it. Clean, Soft/Hard Blues, Rock n' Roll, Alternative, Metal, etc. Just about anything you can imagine. It's a modelling amplifier that models 22 different amps, with 3 different presets for each modeled amp. And on top of that, each preset is still customizable! And if you find a sound you really like then you can save the sound. (You can save up to 8 sounds). It has on board effects that are pretty decent and can get to be pretty versatile if used correctly. It has one input jack, a headphone jack and an input for a Vox footswitch. It has just about everything I need/want in the amp. I rarely use the effects however because I prefer to use manual effect pedals (Boss, Jim Dunlop, etc.) since I'd rather have those for live shows. I use it to Jam with the band, in my room and also with another guitarist. It has enough power but could be a little more powerful, but can still suffice. // 9

Sound: I mainly use my Fender CP-60 Strat with this amp and its great together. The CS69 pickups create a warm tone in the neck position but also a crisp trebley sound in the bride. Although the pickups are already great on the guitar, the amp does have a valve in it to give a nice warm tone. Like I said, it literally does everything possible. The sounds you can get out of it are anything you can fathom. The distortion on it is great and with the customizable option you can get just about any style you need. The Clean channels are the amps greatest feature. Sparkly clean tones with a great blues break-up sound when the gain and/or the volume is cranked on it. The only downfall of it is that if you really crank this thing it can get screechy if you're in a enclosed room. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The amp itself does not have any problems. Surprising since I bought it as a floor model. I can depend on it however when I gig, I use this one as a backup since I use a Marshall Valvestate for live shows. This amp has been through a few drops, hits, nasty nights and cluttered car trunks. And it has not let me down yet. The shows live I'd played on this is a few blues performances with the other guitarist from my band. Perfect tonal quality and volume for shows with about 100 people. If I used this in a band gig where I had to go over a drum set, I'd mostly likely really want to mic it up just for overall sound control. // 9

Overall Impression: Nothing much else to say about this amp. I'd say buy it if you're looking for a great bedroom/jam amp if you don't have the money to buy a tube amp. If you play shows regularly, I'll be posting a review of the Marshall I have, that amp will interest you much more. I've been playing for about 8 years and this is no amp I'd show off but if someone wanted me to play somewhere small I'd easily take this first. And finally, even though it has a great distortion for Hard Rock and even Metal, this amp is mainly meant for Blues, Jazz and Classic Rock. If you like to play those styles, this will be right up your alley. Either way, I highly suggest you go try this out if you have some extra cash to spend on something practical and versatile! // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ StompLab IG 9 Guitar Effects 04/14/2014