VT50 Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 07/21/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Vox: VT50
The VT50 is a 50 W digital modeling solid state combo, which can simulate up to 22 different amps and 12 effects.
 Features: 8.5
 8.9
 8.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 11 comments vote for this gear:
VT50 Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on april 16, 2010

Price paid: € 315

Purchased from: TV-Sävel

Features: The VT50 is a 50 W digital modeling solid state combo, which can simulate up to 22 different amps and 12 effects (including tremolo, delay, chorus, flanger, phaser and all the usual). It has one 12" speaker, output for an external speaker (although plugging in one disables the internal speaker) and an optional VFS5 footswitch, which I bought with it. There are a total of 8 channels to save your own sounds to, and the footswitch can be used to Switch between them. VT50 has no effects loop (you have to get VT100 for that), but a headphone jack is included. However, there is no CD input, which kinda sucks. I use my VT50 for home practicing and it has more than enough features for my use. I barely use half of the sounds and effects it can produce and the power level (behind the amp) is always set to minimum. With the 12" speaker and 50 W of power, you could get evicted from most living areas. Seriously, it's LOUD. Fortunately it also sounds good with low volumes. // 9

Sound: My guitar has active EMG 81/85 pickups and I play lots of different music styles from pop to grunge to metal. Due to the various range of sounds and effects, this amp suits them all. I have lots of separate pedals but I barely need to use them. Even the metal distortion on the VT50 is very good. I especially like the song presets, eg. Paranoid, The Trooper, Tie Your Mother Down, etc. They really sound like the songs they're supposed to emulate. The clean sound is very good and the distortion very brutal. I do sometimes use, however, my Boss MT-2 "Metal Zone" to get a specific sound. But for most users, the distortion on this amp alone should be well enough. There are so many amp models to choose from. // 9

Reliability & Durability: With the large 12" element and 50 W of power, this combo should work for live playing as well. It isn't too heavy to carry around either. While it's big, it's not bulky. The VT50 also hasn't failed on me so far but I've only used it for home playing. It is definitely a lot better than my previous Behringer GM108. // 9

Overall Impression: I love the wide selection of sounds and effects and if my VT50 was ever stolen, I'd first check if there was an updated model with a CD input (and possibly a drum machine) available, and if not, I'd get it again. My choice of a combo amp was between Ibanez MIMX65 and VT50. MIMX65 has an integrated drum machine, CD input and a chromatic tuner. All of those would be really, really nice in the VT50 as well. The MIMX65 just didn't sound as good to my ear (in the store) as the VT50 does. And to me, having a good sound is more important than extra features. // 9

VT50 Reviewed by: guitar14guitar, on july 21, 2010

Features: The Vox VT50 comes with 22 amp models ranging from crystal clear to metal and high gain. There are various effects that can me modified on the amp and saved to one of two channels. Channels can be switched on the amplifier or with an optional foot pedal (not included) that sells for about 20 bucks. THere is a built in headphone jack as well as a speaker out for connecting to a larger speaker or PA system. Loud enough to be easily heard over drums and other instruments. There is a power knob on the back to control how many watts the amp uses, making it sound great at low level volumes. // 8

Sound: I have used this amp for hard rock and alternative metal, and have loved the distortion on the amp, especially for muted chords. It delivers a powerful sound when playing rhythm, and the lead sounds great as well. The clean sounds excellent at high volumes, and does not become distorted or choppy. There is little static at most times but i found that when turned up to 75% - 100& of its capabilities there was high pitched feedback when not playing the guitar or turning the guitar volume all the way down. This problem can be eliminated by moving about 10 - 15 feet away from the amplifier. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amplifier for more than a year and have used it countless times in shows and in rehearsals in which it has practically maxed out on volume. I have never encountered any technical problems or glitches in the effects or functions of the amp. On one occasion the washer that held the instrument cable came loose causing the piece that held the cable to fall into the amp, but this was only after my band-mate jumped on the amp while playing guitar (I do not suggest it). // 9

Overall Impression: This amp is an excellent choice for anyone wanting to play any type of rock or metal. It easily gets loud enough to be heard over the most energetic drummer, however, it is not a stack. This amp should be a fine volume for any show, except one for a very large audience. I am very happy with this amp for its size and volume, but I warn you not to leave any picks on the top as there is a slot where they can fall into the amplifier. I would strongly recommend this amp. // 9

More Vox reviews rating category latest review
+ Big Bad Wah 8.9 Guitar Effects 07/31/2014