BD 12 Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 12/23/2007 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Washburn: BD 12
The BD12 kicks out a full 12 watts of power and has gain, overdrive, volume and three tone controls.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 5.7
 6.6
 4.8
reviews (6) 5 comments vote for this gear:
BD 12 Reviewed by: JaMeZtEr, on july 19, 2004

Features: - Overdrive / Clean channel toggle switch - Gain Control - Treble, Mid and Bass Controls - Headphone output - Single input - Aux. input - 12 watts // 6

Sound: I use this amp with a Washburn WG228. I play a lot of punk (eg. old Blink 182 albums) and rock (Van Halen) and it goes pretty good with it. Clean sound is fine. When I play around with the gain, treble, mid and bass controls to make the overdrive sound like distortion. When I do this, the distortion is really good. I live in a duplex (aka Semi-Detached) house and when I play on the first level, you can hear it from the middle floor, and only on minimum volume! If you turn it all the way up, it is sufficient for a cafe gig or something like that, but it might have some feedback. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this amp for a small gig I suppose. It hasn't broken down so far. There is some trouble that I have with channel switch though. Not because theres a problem with the switch, but because if you switch from distortion to clean in one song, you not only have to press the switch, but you also have to turn down the gain and treble knobs. But since this is the durability section, I say its a 4. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said just now, I play lotsa punk and rock, and this amp is a perfect match with my style. Especially 'cos I don't have to switch channels that much. Blues players, this amp is also pretty good for you. The overdrive can be set to any degree. Screaming solos, breaking blues or hard rock are all fine with this amp. Though one thing I hate is that you have to stand at least 4 metres from the amp, due to feedback. Actually 3 metre cords are fine. // 8

BD 12 Reviewed by: AOF_Rules_24, on january 03, 2006

Purchased from: The Octave Music Centre

Features: The amp was made 2002 and still works great. I play lots of punk and rock. It is great with it on a normal sound. I can use overdrive and treble/mid to make the distortion I really want. It gives you the ability to choose a different side of sound (ex. is I can use the gain/speaker switch to make it sound like its on the right of the room). The distortion handles greatly, with little feedback. It gives me a head phone and an Aux jack, which gives great choices for playing. // 8

Sound: I usually play punk or rock music on it and it adapts greeat with those. It works extremly well with my Washburn Oscar Shmidt guitar and lets me use many of my guitar options. The amp can get pretty noisy. I play in my room and when I play an average of low/medium volume it can be heard throughout the house (thank god for the headphone jack). If I played high it would be good for a gig in a small resturaunt etc. The sound can go from a good mute, to a clean, easy play, to great distortion. The clean channel is always clean. In order for distorion I need it on overdrive as well as a high gain, teble and Mid. The distortion can be almost as brutal as you want. However the worse the distortion, the more feedback. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This amp is a pretty good amp and you can depend on it. You could play it in a gig without a backup unless the gig was very long. Than it may over heat and stop working. So far it has worked fine though so I would trust this alot. // 6

Overall Impression: If this was stolen I would definatly buy it again. I love this amp and the amazing distortion features. I would say that this would be a good amp for most of the styles of music, due to the variability of sound control. Overall I say that if you are looking for a good cheap amp I would get this one. // 9

BD 12 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 15, 2007

Purchased from: Pawndora's Box

Features: I have no idea when the amp was made because I brought this at a pawn shop. It is small and portable which is a good upside. I'm using this amp so I can save enough for a Marshall. My previous was stolen so I got this. This amp doesn't have enough power. And it's portable. // 3

Sound: I'm using a Behringer starters guitar with this amp and has good clean sounds minus the buzzing. My friend played his Gibson Flying V on this pedal and sounded better than my guitar.The distortion sucks my guitar and sounds a lot better with the Gibson. I almost threw it out until I got a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. It sounds good for now until I can afford a Marshall, and a Dean or ESP. Sounds pretty good with a bass too. // 7

Reliability & Durability: First I'll never use it on a gig. Second if this broke or got stolen I would get another amp. Don't rely on this amp, I use it for practice and you should too. If you want distortion, get a pedal or use another amp. On the upside it's portable. I kicked it and played it and still worked. // 4

Overall Impression: I play blues and metal. So the clean sound is pretty good and decent. The Distortion however was horrible. I've been playing with this amp for a few months, I would've thrown it out if it wasn't for the pedal. If it were stolen. Just let it go and get a different amp. I don't like anything about this amp. The only upside is it's portable. // 4

BD 12 Reviewed by: SBLAKELEY, on april 12, 2007

Features: I'm not sure when this amp was made. The amp is quite versatile and seems to suit my syle of music quite well. I play a mixture of metalcore and heavy rock. The amp has a clean channel and overdrive, and it has a headphone jack and a line out for recording or using a PA. I only use this amp at home for practice and jamming with friends. I defiantly has enough power for that put is not powerful enough for gigging I am afraid. // 7

Sound: I use a cheap Shine Strat with two Shine humbuckers and the amp suits my metalcore style very well. The amp is quite noisy with the gain turned up to 10, but this can be sorted by using a noise gate. The amp can make a variety of sounds from clean, punk to metal and heavy rock. The clean is fine at high volumes and doesn't distort. The distortion is lacking a little, it doesn't seem "heavy" enough for my kind of playing, it's like the distortion is weak. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp is very durable and strong. I wouldn't take it to a gig because it just doesn't have the power required for a gig. If it was powerful enough, I would take backup just in case. This amp has never broken down once, and I have had it nearly 2 years. It only has a few scratches where it has been banged about as I travel with it alot. // 10

Overall Impression: The amp matches my style very well. I have been playing just under 2 years now and I own a Shine guitar and a DigiTech RP200A effects pedal. The amp doesn't work well with the RP200A because with the volume up full with no gain (Which is required for the pedal), the volume is too quiet. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy a Marshall because I like the distortion on them and I need more power from an amp. I would recommend this as a starter practice amp, but nothing for use at gigs. // 6

BD 12 Reviewed by: torchd, on july 23, 2007

Features: This amp is known as the amp that comes in the Washburn X10 package. It's a very basic amp, good for people just starting to play electric. It works with any kind of music you play. However It only has one channel, like most practice amps. It would actually be a decent amp if it has a few effects. But if your looking for a little amp to practice with in your bedroom, this is exactly what your looking for. That's because it's small are can easily fit in tight places. // 5

Sound: I'm not very impressed with the sound this thing literally spits out. But ir does fit all types of music styles. If you set the amp up high, it can be earpeircing. And sounds kinda ugly in a basement. Also, for all you metalheads, you can't crank up the distortion without a pedal. But when you have it set at clean, at loud volumes, the sound becomes a little distorted. You can get a lot of noise out of this thing, if you turn it up a lot. But when you turn it up, you might get a lot of feedback when you have the distortion on. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The amp never broke or really failed on me. The worst it ever did to me was give me a ton of feedback. But I wouldn't bring it to gig, because it wouldn't keep up with my insane drummer. But overall, it is an amp I can depend on without a second thought. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock, and with a little added distortion, it is a pretty good amp for it. But overall, the amp is a little small for me. I mean, it's only like 15 watts. If this thing was stolen, I wouldn't get a new one, I would just take the money to upgrade. I'm a big fan of the clean setting, but the distortion is a little week. This amp is comparable to any other small amps. If for would come down to this and a small Kustom, pick the Kustom. But most people Who have this amp got it for free with an X10 guitar. I would recomend this amp to beginners. But within a few months, you will outgrow this amp. // 6

BD 12 Reviewed by: blackgrunge, on december 23, 2007

Purchased from: maxwell music

Features: Well the features on this thing are lacking at best. It has a single channel, an overdrive button, 3 band EQ, a gain and a volume knob. It also has a lineout and a headphone jack. I believe it has a 6 inch speaker which is less than acceptable. The features overall are pathetic there are much better practice amp out there, the most annoying part is the fact that it doesn't have a channel switch which makes it difficult to change from clean to distorion. If it just had a channel Switch it wplould make the amp 10 times better. // 7

Sound: I am using a Schecter C1 Plus with ducan design pickups and it destroys my guitars natural sound. The amp can't go very high at all on the clean channel or it becomes horribly distorted. The only thing it can do it play an ear shattering high pitched distorted sound. Again a channel Switch might have fixed this. The feedback on this thing is awful, I use only the best cables and effects and this thing eats those too. I guess it is a bit versital if you can put up with the poor soound quality. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I can totally depend on this thing, whereever I am. It's fantastic when I don't feel like bringing my half-stack with me to pratice with the lead guitarist. I throw this thing around a beat the crap out of it and it as never even burped I am very pleased with of durability. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about four years and this was my first amp and I wished I would have considered something else besides this amp because I extremely dissapointed. If it were to ever to get lost I would actually be happy because I don't want it anymore I would get a peavy or a Fender practice amp. I don't think this thing would have been so bad had it just had a channel Switch it would have made it a little bearable. But if you think about buying this just don't because it is poor at best consider a Fender practice amp they are much better in everyway. // 6

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ WM24 Renegade 8.6 Electric Guitars 12/10/2014