GT212 120W Review

reviews (2) pictures (2) 9 comments vote for this gear:
GT212 120W Reviewed by: Poskito, on march 26, 2010

Price paid: £ 199.99

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Features: This amp has a variety of features. Firstly, it has all the features you'd expect from any amp Bass, Mid, Treble, Gain and level but comes with effects as well. These effects include chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo and delay. The rate/time of these effects can be altered by pressing a button that flashes in correspondence with the rate/time of the effect. These effects are pretty decent, although i get much more control with my Boss ME-20 pedal. There are 5 slots to store 5 different settings, which is really useful. The amp has 2 12" speakers (music you play will be in stereo). There is a headphone slot on the amp, and a Line out slot and a phono connection so you can Jam with your mp3 player e.t.c. The GT212 can also use a footswitch pedal which is used to easily Switch between the 5 effect stores on the amp. (this was meant to be sold seperately, but mine came with the amp free of charge...No complaints there). // 9

Sound: The guitar that I use with this amp is a BC Rich Warbeast Standard (AWESOME) with Rockfield Mafia pickups. I love to play 'Metal' but also play blues and country e.t.c. The amp is very loud, at my house I only need to turn the volume up to about 0.3 to get the right sorta volume and to about 4 at band practice and about 7 at gigs. The amp has 4 different channels: Clean, tweed, fuzz and Metal. Each of these has 2 different settings indicated by a blue or green light. For instance the clean channel's blue setting is a Compressed sound whereas the green is an uncompressed 'fuller' sound. Tweed and fuzz are a bit pointless to me, Tweed is basically a slightly overdriven clean channel and Fuzz is...well I have never used Fuzz. The metal channel is debatable: The sound isn't really Metal, but a sort of a heavy Vintage rock sound, it isn't a terrible sound but it is just a bit misleading to buyers (not enough distortion). I use a Boss ME-20 pedal to get my distortion, and i find that it sounds much better through the clean channel than the metal channel. That isn't a bad thing, just a bit bizarre. The amp has 2x12" speakers which sound great and creates a sound with a lot of depth, it doesn't sound tinny at all compared to my old Laney LX35R. The sound that comes from the amp is clean and there is only barely noticeable feedback at high volumes which exceeded my expectations :D // 6

Reliability & Durability: The amp seems solid enough, I would much prefer the front had a kick-proof grill instead of the metal cloth. The back has no cover which is great for storing cables and pedals e.t.c. But it exposes some wires that are soldered on securely but with enough force you could break through the wire. I doubt I would ever need a backup at a gig, this thing doesn't look or sound like it will break anytime soon (take one anyway though). // 8

Overall Impression: For metal music with this amplifier alone, I would not recommend. But if you have a great pedal, then it sounds absolutely beautiful through this amp. I didn't expect the amp to sound this good because it was cheap for what it is, but it is much better than I expected and the variety of sounds and tones you can make is fantastic. Perfect as a 'Clean' amplifier and loud enough for a gig. Not too heavy for its size and a great price, also comes with a free footswitch. // 9

GT212 120W Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 10, 2012

Purchased from: Gear4Music

Features: The White Horse brand is the premium brand of Gear4Music. It is a 2x12, 120w solid state amp. It is very loud, and adequate for most conceivable situations. It has 4 channels, Clean, Tweed, Fuzz and Metal. Each of these channels has a Green and a Blue setting. It has inbuilt effects, these being, Chorus, Flanger, Phaser and Tremolo. There are separate controls for Delay and Reverb. The modulation effects and the Delay both have a tap tempo button. You can also dial in 5 instantly recallable presets. // 8

Sound: I am using a B.C. Rich Special X Mockingbird with this amp (really nice guitar, more geared towards Vintage rock than metal, unlike most B.C. Rich models). Now, this is a 200, Solid State, Gear4Music amp. By all rights it should be crap. However this is simply not the case, to tell the truth this is the second best amp I have ever played through, the first being a Marshall JVM (very high end Marshall valve amp). Now, I've played through some nice amps. Hell, I own a handwired, boutique valve amp. I bought this amp, simply because that one didn't have the volume I needed for gigs and now it rarely gets played. Yes, this 200 amp, trumps my 800 boutique valve amp. My style includes mostly everything that could be covered under the banner of Rock. From Free to Megadeth, and Pearl Jam to Kiss. It is not amazingly versatile, It covers rock/metal unbelievably well, however if you're into Country, I'd suggest you steer clear. So, onto the channels. The clean channel is, well, clean. It's not a spectacular clean, it isn't reminiscent of a Fender Twin or anything of that nature. I'd liken it to a Marshall type of clean, nothing special but it gets the job done. I tend to stick with my boutique amp for cleans, because it does triumph in that respect. The Tweed chanell is good, but not really my thing, I rarely use it. It would suit bluesy players perfectly though. Although it serves for Blues, if that's your thing, I would not recommend this amp. Go for a Fender Frontman. Fuzz is... Fuzzy. I've always hated the sound of Fuzz, so I can't comment on this channel. The Metal channel however is fantastic, I would decribe it as Metal, maybe "Distortion" would be a better title. But anyhow, this channel does any sort of Rock immensely well, from Free up to Megadeth. I would liken the distortion to that of a Marshall JVM. It's not an extreme distortion, if your into death metal (your tone deaf) then get a pedal, or a different amp. All in all a brilliant amplifier, I tend to use the green modes on each of the channels as the Blue modes sound a bit wimpy. One fault is the speakers could be better, they're not bad, but better speakers would really make this amp shine, even more than it does already. Like I said the stock speakers are adequate, but I'll probably swap them out for a pair of Vintage 30's when I get the cash. All in all this is a top quality rock amp, and I would recommend it to any fan of that "British Marshall" rock sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's yet to break down on me. The quality is acceptable, I mea, you can see/smell glue in the back of the amp. But hey, who actually cares? I would gig it without a backup. // 7

Overall Impression: Think I've covered everything tbh, it's an amazing rock amplifier, I would recommend anyone to buy it. At 200 it's hardly steep, and you will be surprised at the tone it gives. And this is coming from a Tube snob. I hate all other Solid state amps. // 9

More White Horse reviews rating category latest review