DG80-112 Review

9.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
DG80-112 Reviewed by: Joe_Wilcox, on may 26, 2006

Purchased from: Oxford Guitar Gallery

Features: I'm not too sure when this amp was made. I think it's one of the original 1998 versions, as it says that the manual was published in 1998. These amps are discontinued now, I think, and originally retailed at about 850 ($1200). I play mostly play rock, alternative rock and occasionally some jazz type things. The amp is definitely able to play all those styles easily, and I'm pretty sure it could tap into others too, but I haven't tried. For starters, it's a modeling amp. It's 80 watts and has single 12" speaker, so this thing is bloody loud. It features a high-input and a low-inout (depending on your guitar's output). There is a trim knob (something to do with the preamp) and an overall output knob (this does not affect the final tonality of the sound). There is obviously an on/off switch. It also has a gain knob and a master knob. It has 2 clean amp models, 2 drive amp models, 2 crunch amp models and 2 lead amp models. It has a 4 band eq (treble, hi-mid, low-mid and bass), it also has a presence nob. The amp also features very versatile effects (chorus, tremelo, 3 reverbs (spring, hall and plate) and tape echo (delay)). There are 2 nobs for tremolo (speed and depth), 3 for chorus (speed, depth and level), 3 for tape echo (time, feedback and level) and 1 for reverb (level) as well as a button to change reverb type. You might think that there would be far too many nobs to keep track of, but this is one of the clever things about the amp. All the nobs (excluding trim and output) are motorised. All the nobs are doubled up, so basically, you push a button (mode) and the light changes from "amp" to "effects". All the nobs now turn back to 0 (or preset or whatever) and you can now adjust the secondary function for the nob, which is indicated above. This probably all sounds a little complicated, and I'm not done just yet, so bare with me. The amp also has the ability to store and recall the sounds you have "created", and takes advantage of the motorized nobs. Basically, the amp can store up to 128 presets that you can recall instantly with a push of a button. When you cycle (pressing up or down) to which one you want (shown by the little LCD display) and you simply puch "recall" and the amp remembers what you've saved for that preset. Furthermore, it rotates all the nobs to the set position for that set. Sounds complicated? Its much simpler in real life. Also (yet again) the amp is compatable with Midi foot controllers. This enables you to recall whatever presets you wish with your feet while you're playing or whatever. I've not tried this just yet though, but it looks even more complex. There is also a line out (speaker/amp), an external speaker-out, a midi in and out and an effects loop. Definitely more functions than a swiss army knife. Unfortunately, it involves a bit of a learning curve to get used to it. // 9

Sound: I play a Yamaha Pacifica 112X with the stock pickups (I really need a new guitar). I play rock, alternative rock, some metal and some jazz type things. I feel it can play anything I want really. The amp models are more than perfect for this. I also play some Satriani and similar type things and the lead channels combined with some delay and chorus can produce brilliant, classic Satch sounds. The amp isn't noisy when it shouldn't be, such as lead and Drive. However, I know its not the amp as my friends and guitar teacher have played their guitars through it and they sound fine, one being a Vintage Telecaster (oh yes). The Drive and crunch are fine for some solid power chording as well as some tasteful warm Drive sounds (I prefer my SD-1 though). And, of course, the cleans. I could just marry these. You can vary them from warm, mellow cleans to gritty, harsh tones. You can even get an almost acoustic sound too (I swear). The effects are absolutely brilliant as well. All the people Who've played it have said they'd pay good money for pedals that could make this sort of sound. Overall, the sound dosn't change whatsoever as you increase the Output. Definitely loud enough for practice/recording and small to medium-small gigs. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is heavy and appears to built like a tank. I've had it a few months now and the worse injury it has is one of the stickers peeling off the front (oh noes). It's made of that black rubbery/plasticy thing and has metal bump things on the corners (to stand on(sorry about my lack of technical language)). The board is a mauve red and the speaker cover is like woven thatch material, not your usual metal grill. It has an open back too, which is cool, as well as useful for putting leads in and stuff. It's reasonably manouverable, requiring you have another person to help, but it seems happy to slide around the floor if I need to move it. I doubt this thing is going to get damaged from dropping it from short heights (I havn't tried though). I love this amp to pieces and I'd happily gig without a backup. Also, there are no tubes or anything else to fiddle with, which is good. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this amp matches my style incredibly well and I don't regret it a bit. I've been playing for about 3 years (on and off) and this is my first proper amp (I've been playing a tiddly 10watt practise amp) and so its a big step up for me. My guitar isn't too shabby and has lasted about 6 years (originally my sister's) and the sound quality has improved sooooo much. I also own an SD-1, a DS-1 and a Dunlop Crybaby (yes, I'm a bit of a rocker). If someone stole it, I'd definitely try to find another when. Then I'd first shake their hand for actually being able to pick it up before giving them the ol' 1-2 to the chops and the 3-4 to his more sensitive region. I love the fact that is so cool and does everything so effortlessly. I still can't get over the motorized nobs, I've never seen anything like it before. The next step I think I'll take is trying to get my hands on a midi foot controller, but I'm not sure I want to dish out 100 + for one just yet. Seriously, if you see one of these around, at least give it a play as it won't be around for long. // 10

DG80-112 Reviewed by: david.peavy.712, on february 11, 2014

Features: Bought in '04 I think toward the end of the modeling zoo. This Yamaha was the very best modeling amp ever made IMO! It has 2 cleans, 2 overdrive, 4 lead Voices. This thing will still ROCK your socks! It's knobs are motorized, so you tweak the tone, delay, chorus, voice EQ, hit store & the amp will recall all settings... 128 factory, 128 user. Yep very cool indeed to watch them turn when you change presets, making YOUR sound very easy & fast to program. It is very well built, solid state but sounds TUBE on overdrive & lead... smokin' tube sounding OD & lead voices. Changing presets is over midi, I used "midi-mouse" which goes up or down, but most multiple effects pedals have midi out. 10 for the warm tube sounds & being able to do it at whisper or scream volume! The effects loop is great with blend control, mono speaker simulated output with level control. // 10

Sound: I had given up on finding a small modeling amp that truly had tube tone & dynamics & this one is the HEATER~! Gigging in vintage rock, R& B dane band I need a small package that could do loud & soft as well. A pinched harmonic at 1 squeals ala ZZ Top & the first sound I heard come out of it. It will rock LOUD at 80 solid state watts. Preset 42 is Santana drop dead cloned tone with good hum bucker guitar... '87 PRS, '06 PRS HB2 & '53 Tele my Dad gave me. The delay & chorus is very good & analogue sounding.. Esp delay. The clean sounds are not the best of warm sounds & not for blues alone. But warms up nice with a tad clean boost... Fulldrive/cut/comp. This was a killer gigging amp for the music we played & took pedals better than one would think. I ran it through a 4 12 once outside & it rocked that day! Solid state cleans just weren't strongest suit so 9! Distortion TEN~! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Haven't gigged in a few years but it did 3 years with me & never had a problem. It is very well made, factory WHEELS! Finally. It is sealed back of course & being solid state 80 watts should be very dependable. No tubes & other guitar players were always asking what it was.. It is very well built & the motorized flying knobs always worked perfectly. I have seen one very beat up indeed & dude said it hadn't failed him. I had mine dropped form about 3 feet & it tumbled down sidewalk, over another 3 feet to grass> It worked perfectly. Try that with a tube amp! But I didn't do but about 50 gigs but I'm sure it's tough & NO tubes to maintain. // 9

Overall Impression: It got stellar rewards in the mags & online at the time, but the modeling fad light was getting dimming just as Yamaha git it right... I have kept it as it is a monster recording amp! I never thought I'd buy a Yamaha amp after so many Boogies, Marshals, Fenders, but the SWEET warm tube distortion sound sold me & I bought it on the spot (which I never do). This amp would be an awesome first amp as versatile as it is & cool motorized knobs are a trip. Allan Holdsworth helped design sound of it & toured with 2 in stereo for q few years. DG's are probably the least known KILLER small amps out there, easy to program with vintage delay that sounds great! // 10

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014