G50-112 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 02/07/2012 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Yamaha: G50-112
This amp is a good match for any kind of music, but if I can say only for the styles I play, so for metal, rock and some clean jazzin' it fits better than well.
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) pictures (2) 4 comments vote for this gear:
G50-112 Reviewed by: m4te, on february 07, 2012

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: second hand

Features: Amp from 1980s. I got it from person, who got it from Germany and it seems that it came from USA (judging from the USA plug originally on it). It is a 50W solid state amp, the speaker from Yamaha has 60Watts RMS, and the amplifiers input is at 120Watts, and I can say that for 50Watts it is really, really loud. You can't play it comfortably in a flat, because it's too loud when it is on the lowest volume setting, so you have to lower volume even on guitar and effects. I'm using it in rehearsal room and the power is really more than enough, I think it is powerful enough even for a smaller gig. It features high/low input, 3-way equalizer, knob for the brightness/shape of tone, weird distortion and nice spring reverb. On the back you can find line out output, and input for 2 footswitches (distortion, reverb on/off) and a switch between 110/130/220/240volts. It has one channel. The built-in distortion is really weird and kinda weak, so I never used it. The reverb is kinda noisy when on high settings, I mean you hear more the spring than your tone, but on low setting it is usable. I don't really miss anything on it, but keep in mind that I don't play for that long. // 8

Sound: I've read much about it, but when I plugged my guitar in, it left me speechless. The cleans are beautiful, I mean really really clean and very enjoyable to hear (and play!). The EQ together with the shape knob make it highly versatile and you can make the tone sound exactly the way you like it. As I play harder styles, I must say that it handles effects pretty well and again together with its EQ makes wonders. It is not noisy at all. I'm playing with friends in rehearsal room and when all the amps are on, they make really high noise (especially one Marshall...), but I was surprised that mine does really very close to no. I enjoy every single second I play it, because the sound is literally perfect once you've shaped the tone correctly (which isn't so hard). // 9

Reliability & Durability: Since it has more than 30 years now and nothing is wrong with it, I would maybe even play it on gig without backup. I think it's highly reliable also because amps back then were made to last and not to be as cheap as possible (like todays). I really have no fear of it breaking down or something. // 10

Overall Impression: I would say that this amp is a good match for any kind of music, but if I can say only for the styles I play, so for metal, rock and some clean jazzin' it fits better than well. If it got stolen, I would pay even up to 200 euros for it, since I like the sound so much as well as the "oldschool" design. Once again, it's amazing piece of technology from 80s that will probably last at least another 30 years. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ THR10X 9.3 Guitar Amplifiers 09/08/2014