GA-10 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 04/29/2010 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Yamaha: GA-10
Rated Output Power: 7 W
Speaker: 12 cm x 1
Controls: Volume, Treble, Bass, CH Select Switch (Clean/Drive)
Input/Output Terminals: Input, Phones.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Features: 5.4
 6.3
 5.6
reviews (8) 21 comments vote for this gear:
GA-10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 20, 2004

Features: This is a great amp for any beginnner. It has treble, bass and volume knobs and a headphone jack. It's Drive mode isn't too great, but will suit a beginner. It's 10 Watts and definetly not a gig amp, but a good little practice amp. // 6

Sound: To be honest, this amp isn't exactly a powerhouse. It gives the bare minimum. But, once again, a great amp if you're just starting out and don't want to spend a lot of money on it. Doesn't have any unique sound. // 4

Reliability & Durability: DEFINITELY not a gig amp. However, it's never broken down for me, and served me well when I was starting out. // 6

Overall Impression: This is a good buy if you're just taking up guitar and can't play much. It offers distortion and to control gain, tinker with the bass and treble knobs. Overall, a pretty good, cheap practice/noob amp. // 6

GA-10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2004

Features: This amp has 2 channels. The clean is too soft and the drive is too hard and not right sounding, especially on the higher volumes. Has headphone jack and bass/treble controls. It is powerful for 10W and is loud enough for fillin' your bedroom but the sound quality suffers at higher volumes. Should have distortion control as the channels are at the extremes. // 6

Sound: On clean, too week; on drive, too brash. Amp only really suits metal and some rock. Different guitars dont change the sound - I've tried it. Not too bad considering the amps tinyness and price tag. Definately not gig material. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Never broken down on me and controls remain tight. You'd have to be gimp faced to take it to a gig. On highest volume setting its loud for 10W but will blow up after too long. Either that or give ridiculous feedback, especially with the short lead it comes with. Seriously, it's not for gigs; for practising in the bedroom only. // 6

Overall Impression: Okay for beginners and practising, but for any kind of creativity you need something more. There isnt really a need for this kind of 10W amp anyway - just get a 15 or 20 with the volume turned down slightly. You'll probably get a sound just as good or better. Don't buy it intentionally if you've played guitar before, but don't be put off it it comes in a starter set as it gets the job done. // 6

GA-10 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 22, 2004

Features: This amp isn't the best, it's sound is decent at best but it's great for beginners. I can't imagine anyone using this anywhere but their bedroom to practice. // 6

Sound: I use a Epiphone G-310 with this amp and it doesn't sound that bad. The distortion is alright for such a little amp. It's good if you play things like punk and hardrock. The clean channel is ok, it really lacks good tone but then again, what can you expect from such an inexpensive amp? // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have had this amp for 2 years and it hasn't broken down on me once. I used to max out the volume, sure the sound quality suffered but somehow I didn't blow out the speaker. I wouldn't gig with this amp but that's not because I think it would break down but rather it's not powerful enough. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, I play lots of punk and some indie rock; it's a good match for the former, not the latter. I've been playing for about 2 years (on-and-off), with my Epiphone and my friend's BC Rich the sound isn't that bad. If it were stolen or lost, I would not buy a new one, I would go for something more powerful. This is a great amp for beginners and those who just want to sit down, relax, and play some good music. // 8

GA-10 Reviewed by: punkrox101, on november 20, 2007

Purchased from: Costco

Features: I got mine around christmas 2006. The amp is a 10 watts, has two channels; the clean and the overdrive. It has a volume, a treble and a bass knob. It also comes with a headphone jack but I never really used it. Along with the amp, it comes with a set of guitar strings, 3 guitar picks, a tuner, a string winder and a CD that teaches you the basics of playing guitar. // 6

Sound: I used it along with my Epiphone junior and a DigiTech RP150 effects pedal. If you use it alone without the DigiTech it sounds okay. The clean channel is pretty good but the overdrive is too noisy. There's a chance that the sound may crack if you're playing lead parts. // 5

Reliability & Durability: For the tiny amp, it's very durable. I opened it up many times before and it still works great. Although at one time I burned to fuse because of an experiment I tried to do so I had to replace the fuse. But it's not the amps fault, it was me. I won't recommend it as a gig amp. It's only suitable for a small to medium sized rooms. I tried to play it in my garage but it was too weak to be heard throughout the whole room. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years but when I got this amp, I was really into simple straight to the point music like punk. It worked pretty well with punk but now that I'm learning to play solo-filled classic rock, the amp isn't cutting it for me. It works well with rhythm but not in leads as it tends to crack and lose sustain. Overall, the amp is good for starting out but as you go further with playing, you might want to buy a bigger, more powerful amp. I don't regret ever buying this amp because it helped me improve my guitar playing in many ways. For the price I paid, I think it's worth it. // 8

GA-10 Reviewed by: Joe_Crow, on december 22, 2008

Features: Okay, first things first - this is NOT an amp for gigging. Many of the reviews seem to have lowered the score as it is no good for gigging. As a cheap practice amp, it's fine. It has an input and a headphone output. The three knobs are volume, treble and bass and it has two channels - Clean and Overdrive. // 6

Sound: I use it with the Yamaha Pacifica it came with and in my bedroom it sounds okay. The clean is good enough for practicing, not much can be said for the overdrive however. there's too much noise at higher volumes and the sustain isn't very good. It can go pretty loud for a 0 Watt but it's not an amp you'd use to play to other people. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This amp has never failed on me, probably because it's just sitting in my room playing at low volumes. It's pretty tough, but again, it's not gigging material. The plug cable is too short so you won't want to pull it too far. I can imagine the fuse blowing if it's used to much at high volumes. // 8

Overall Impression: I bought this amplifier with the Yamaha Pacifica, so for the low price tag, it's worth it. For a begginer. Anyone Who's been playing for a bit longer and wants to gig with it however, should upgrade to a larger one. It's not great, but it's not bad. I'm definatly going to upgrade very soon however. I think I'm overdue an upgrade... // 7

GA-10 Reviewed by: adamjimenstein, on september 09, 2009

Price paid: C$ 85

Purchased from: ProMusic

Features: This is as basic as amps can get. I have the GA-15, there is no review page for it, but its the exact same thing. It has Master Volume (obviously) Middle, Treble, Bass, Gain, a headphone jack and a Switch for distortion and clean. It's missing a lot. No DFX. Not even a pedal input is here. There is a headphone jack, which I sometimes use for recording (via line in) but it isn't standard; its the 1/4'' size. I use this for practice, it serves that okay. // 4

Sound: Also very basic. Clean and distortion is the only big choice you have. My guitar is also very terrible, but its mostly the guitar that makes noise. There is a little humming from the amp when you put a ton of gain on, which is what I do. To get the tone I want I have to mess around with gain, pickups, tone knobs (on the guitar) and the middle, treble, and bass knobs. But this amp can be insanely loud. Clean is quieter, no distortion when you blast it. Distortion level is way louder. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The amp is very durable. I've been playing for a couple of months and so far not once has it screwed up in any way. I'm a beginner and I don't play gigs. The closest thing to that is jamming with my friends, and it works fine. But I get laughed at cause the thing is the size of a lunchbox. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a huge variety of music, progressive, metal, plain rock, grunge and stuff out of beginners songbooks are examples. The amp can handle those okay. I'm a beginner, so I also have a Squier Bullet. THe combination of two beginners' things is awful. When I record my guitar playing, there is lots of hum from the guitar plus a bit of hum from the amp, which makes recordings hard to listen to. I want a new Marshall DFX amp for about $50 CAD more. If your a beginner, do not get this amp. Plan ahead and get a cheap DFX amp that you'll need in the future. This is a cheap amp, for for so little features it turned out to be a waste of money. If your a beginner and need a practice amp get one of those Vox mini amps that adapts to headphones, for only 40 to 50 dollars. // 5

GA-10 Reviewed by: barfrog, on january 11, 2010

Features: This amp came as part of a Yamaha starter pack that my parents bought for my birthday in 2008. It comes with the basic EQ settings (treble, middle and bass), volume knob, an overdrive/clean switch, input jack and headphones jack. Its basically what you'd expect from a little starter/practice amp. // 4

Sound: Obviously most amps in this class aren't known for their tone, and the Ga-10 is no exception. Despite messing around with the EQ almost constantly I've failed to find a tone that's acceptable. With the right settings, the clean tone can at least be made bearable, but the overdrive channel is just fuzz. What can I say? Its a 0 Watt practice amp, its for learning the basics on and that's it. Try to use it for anything more, and you'll just end up a broken mess who desperately needs therapy... // 3

Reliability & Durability: This is where the Ga-10 gets its plaudits. Despite 1 and a half years of being crammed in my suitcase on 5 hour train journeys, being kicked around my living room by my drunken mates, being pissed on by my dog (seriously), and basically being completely neglected, the darn thing still works as well as it did the day it arrived. It would never be gigged, even as a total last resort, but it can stand up to a proper beating. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm now the proud owner of a Vox Valvetronix VT30 which was bought to end the frustration the Ga-10 caused tone-wise. On top of that my Vox Night Train arrived the other day, meaning this little amp has seen its best days. However it will remain useful, as its portability and reliability means I can take it pretty much anywhere that has an electric supply - plus if my friends want something to mess around on, then I'd rather they used this than my NT. Overall I don't regret my parents buying that starter pack because I gained a good guitar out of it in my Pacifica 012. At the time I knew nothing about guitar and neither did my folks, but even if I could go back I don't think I'd advise them to get something different, because its been so useful and will be for years to come, due the fact that its bomb-proof and I don't give a shit about what happens to it. // 5

GA-10 Reviewed by: Saintjimmy45100, on april 29, 2010

Features: This amp rates low on features because, apart from a 2 band EQ and basic distortion there are none. The amp is suitible for medium rock and basic metal but without gain controlls there is little versatility. That said I am laying into the amp a little, it only costs about 50 and is a very good starter. // 5

Sound: The sound is decent and certainly good enough for practice and starting out. The sound comes coutesy of an 8 watt (RMS) Yamaha speaker which has good enough mid and high end responce but almost no bass responce exept for at above 3/4 volume. When it come to volume the Ga-10 does fairly well, but is still only 10 watts so don't even cosider gigging with it. One more thing is that, with the clean channel on and the volume above 5/6, there is a nice distortion, a bluesy 'crunch' that brings the sound score up to 7. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I do treat the amp well, as you should with anything you expect to last but it has been spotlessly reliable for 4 years. Never once stopped working, full volume sessions for 3 hours then a 20 minute walk home again with the amp being shaken about in my bag, get home, turn it on and no problems. It it was powerful enough to gig with (which it isn't) then I would be happy to use it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a practice amp and it is exeedingly good for begginners practicing. Will keep going for years so long as you aren't deliberately (and I mean really deliberatly) abusive with it. When you get good, you will need somthing with more bass responce, and gain contoll and atleast a 3 band EQ, but as a starter, the only thing to beat it is the Marshall MG-10... And that is a Marshall so what do you expect. My advice, buy the Yamaha, see if you like playing guitar, experiment with it, then, if you're still into guitar, upgrade. // 9

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ FG730S 9 Acoustic Guitars 07/11/2014