GA-15 Review

manufacturer: Yamaha date: 01/29/2013 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Yamaha: GA-15
I play mostly heavy metal, and the amp sound the exact way I need.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 7.5
 7.8
 8.3
 7.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
GA-15 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 04, 2012

Purchased from: viva

Features: Actually I paid MXN $1300 which is like 100 dollars. I got this amp in early 2010 as my first amp at the same time I bought a Yamaha EG112C, and I think its pretty good, it has a 3 band eq, 2 channels (clean and drive) and a headphone jack, it has a 6.5 speaker. With a good EQ you can play almost any kinds of music, I usually play hard rock and metal. I used to use this amp as my main one before change it forin little concerts (an area no bigger than a basketball field) and it was enough to be heard, I think its pretty great for its size, I mean its a practice amp and there is no need for other features. Wish it was bigger. // 7

Sound: I use a Yamaha EG112C with this amp, and it makes a pretty good sound, the clean channel its good but its more like a 7/10 in quality and when the volume is high its sometimes makes a weird noise, but the distortion its freaking awesome! (at least for me) with the gain at 10 it make a cool metal distortion, while putting the gain at lower levels may not sound so well, when having the distortion at the max using the bridge pickup it sounds brutal and suits my music perfectly, but using the neck pickup also makes it sounds heavy, a little less of course but still metal style, sometimes I use the clean channel with a Behringer OD300 pedal and it sounds pretty awesome in overdrive and distortion. If the cleans were better I may have give it a 10/10. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I've seen this amp can take a lot of punishment, I mean I'm not a troglodite with it but it seems to resist those 2 years of use with no scratchs. I've never had any problem with it, it has never broke or stop working. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavy metal, and the amp sound the exact way I need, I've been playing this amp for 2 years with my Yamaha EG112C, may the cleans not sound so well but I rarely use it and the distortion is awesome. If the amp were stolen or lost I probably buy it again but this time new generation. I've used a Marshall MG15 and the clean sounds a lot better but the distortion was lame and pretty mild. I wish this amp had an effect loop or maybe that it had some effects but the pedals do that job. // 8

GA-15 Reviewed by: Alexander Nero, on january 29, 2013

Price paid: € 25

Features: I bought this amp used by a friend of mine, so I don't know where it was made. This is just a little solid state combo, cheap 15 W amplifier, but for its price it's really worth buying. It has two channels (clean and drive), a volume knob for each channel, a gain knob for the Drive channel for the overdrive and three knobs for equalization (low, mids and trebles) that works for both channels. Also it has a common 3.5 jack line out for headphones. I play mainly hardcore punk, industrial metal or metalcore, so any kind of music that involves high gain riffs, and I must say that even if I still didn't go over 25-30% of maximum volume (because I play at home, and around this level the amp has already a really good, loud output), the amp can keep up good with my playing. The sound becomes a little confused at that point, but for being a really cheap home amplifier, it's really more than enough. I'm very satisfied with its quality. // 8

Sound: I use this amp with an Epiphone G-310 with passive pickups toned in drop B and a Boss ML-2 Metal Core. Even with this hardcore gear, and even if I play at really high gain, the quality of the sound that I got from the Yamaha is very nice. I play mainly rhythm parts, and even if my sound becomes very noisy and confused, the combination between this amp and the Boss effect allows me to get still a really good and faithful quality, for all this being an home gear. The clean channel really impressed me because it's really well done, a good output and really good quality, really stick to the original sound of my guitar, which allows me to get a really good distortion trough this channel and my ML-2. The overdrive channel is also good, nothing special compared to a real distortion, but for being an overdrive by a base 15 W, I must say it's also worth to be considered (still now, having a pedal, sometimes I have fun playing with it's more vintage, crunchy sound). The equalization too is good, I can hear clearly the changing in the sound moving the three knobs: I play mainly in a V style eq (high lows and trebles, and zero mids), and the sound I got really hits me in the chest, played in my little room. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It really gives me a feeling of solidity, helped by the fact that's a combo. Of course I don't think I can use this for a gig, the quality isn't enough to play at high gain, as the power (just 15 Watts) can't be enough. Inspite the fact that it has been used for a couple of years before I bought it, it really looks like being just made and like it's just got out from the factory. For that fact, I think you can trust this amplifier, and until now it didn't gave me any kind of problem (and it has a really black, cool look too). // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing just for six months, but I was enough lucky to try out another two or three amplifiers. Compared to the Fender 15 W, this Yamaha seems to be better to me: I couldn't try the Fender too much, but I think that the Yamaha has more output and a stronger overdrive. Compared to bigger amplifiers, of course my little friend can't compete, but it's natural. If it were stolen I would buy a 30 W Mesa Boogie or Line 6 I think, because I need a great quality at greater gains, and now I need an amplifier with which I can gig. But probably I would buy another little Yamaha just for playing at home, because a 30 W or 75 W probably couldn't reach enough gain to give a good quality without my neighbours knocking at my doors trying to kill me. For that, I'm glad of having such a little but cheap and good-quality amplifier. // 8

More Yamaha reviews rating category latest review
+ RBX270L 8.6 Bass Guitars 04/09/2014