Tall Vintage Review

3.5
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Tall Vintage Reviewed by: Archer18, on november 19, 2010

Purchased from: http://www.zillacabs.com/

Features: It was custom made in 2010. I think the Tall Vintage 2x12 is now a discontinued model. It's features include: 12mm Birch ply and 12mm finger joints. You can choose what tolex, grill-cloth, speakers and whether you would like open, closed or three-piece back. I decided to go with black tolex, bluesbreaker grill-cloth, open back with 2 Celestion G12H30's. Although, I am tempted to get the cab recovered with something like snakeskin which Zilla also offer. The cab is also quite small depth-wise, I was told this is to reduce the amount of bass the cab produces. // 9

Sound: I use an Epiphone Les Paul (Rock Monkey Pickups) into a ValvePower 18w. The Celestion G12H30's are said to be the best speakers to suit an 18w and I have to agree. Great sounding cab and when you play some high gain riffs/licks my tone sounds massive. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seems reliable, I have gigged with it numerous times and it hasn't failed on me. There is one-down side to the cab, is that the tolex inside of the cab is starting to come off, but it's an easy fix. As stated earlier the cab is quite small depth-wise, which makes it easy to wobble, but was told that the depth was to balance the bass response of the cab. // 4

Overall Impression: I play Blues, Classic rock and it suits my sound quite well, especially with high gain leads. I have been playing for about 4 years and use an Epiphone Les Paul Classic w/Rock Monkey pickups into a ValvePower 18w with a Rothwell Heartbreaker. I do regret picking black tolex, I would've loved to get Snakeskin, but I made a poor decision with that, but I can still get it recovered. If it was stolen I would see my other options for cabs such as Martamp, but Zilla cabs are a tad cheaper than Martamp cabs, so that's why I got a Zilla cab. I do love the massive tone I get out of the 2x12, but I was disappointed about the tolex starting to peel off after a few months. // 7

Comments