Fire 30 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 12/11/2008 category: Guitar Amplifiers
Zoom: Fire 30
35 Watt Amp. 10" driver. 22 built-in amp models. 7 effects modules. 19 effects types. 10 user programmable patches / 20 Zoom preset patches. 3-band EQ. Auto-chromatic tuner. AUX input.
 7.1
 8.7
 5.4
reviews (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
Fire 30 Reviewed by: Gibson808, on february 04, 2004

Features: The Zoom Fire 30 (36Watts) is a combo amp package that features modelling amp' systems and a rack of built in effects and combo 'patches'. The available modelling positions replicate 4 popular amp makes (Fender, Marshall, Mesa and Peavy) as well as catering for another 7 generic positions such as fuzz, metal ,acoustic etc, and all postions can be altered to mimic either solid state or valve variants. The effects board on the amp covers 14 pedal facilites that offer sustain, boost, edge, bottom, chorus, synth wah, tremelo, slow-a, ring mod, phase, step ,flanger and doubling. A delay/reverb dial allows lateration of reverberation effect and a chromatic tuner allows fast and accurate tuning changes. The dozens of inbuilt 'patches' are pre-set options that offer combined effects and level positions that aim to replicate certain guitars (ie, 7 string), effects (a wah setup that works better than simply using the auto-wah effect) and amps (rotating Fender amp etc). Saving your own patches is also possible. A footswitch input allows the user to switch between to selected patches although this unit has to be bought seperatly. // 10

Sound: The range of effects are immense and surprisingly good quality for such a low priced amp. But there is a drawback that may deter some potential buyers..the amp suffers from an intrusive hum. I have found out that this is a problem with all Fire 30 amps and is very audible when the amp' is turned up to a loud volume. Zoom have attempted to rectify this by fitting a switch that cuts the hum buy lowering the output when it detects that you are not playing. Although this helps, it does seem as a roundabout way of fixing the problem and I would have preferred to pay a bit extra if it meant that they could produce the amp without any interferance at all. The auto-wah effect is interesting as it doesn't use a manual foot pedal but instead increases the wah effect in relation to the intensity of the users playing. It isn't always convincing however and often ends up making your playing sound like a demented talk-box. The 36 watts may be 'just' enough for playing small gigs, but it's probably more suited to jamming and home recording and a power damp feature allows the amp to be played at low volumes while still having the drive of loud volume playing. I play mostly classic rock and blues so I nearly always have it in the Marshall position with some reverb dialled in with no other effect but I still feel that I would prefer to have all the options of this amp over a similarly priced solid-state Marshall as it's always fun to experiment with all the different sounds whe trying out a new playing style. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The amp' does feel like a quality piecec of kit, all the buttons turn satisfyingly and the body is heavy and solid, even my home hi-fi mad friend was impressed. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't know how Zoom managed to get all this into a low-price package, maybe it has something to do with the humming, but it's still very impressive nonetheless. Having the range of effects helps you find your favourite tone that could help you decide what amps/guitars you want to get in the future. I enjoy the amp' a lot and it's not too big that you have to turn it up to an immense volume to make it sound good and it's not too small that you would be ashamed to let people see it. // 8

Fire 30 Reviewed by: powerchord_97, on december 11, 2008

Features: This 35 watt amplifier was built in China. It has a 9.5 in. speaker. It also has 11 drives (FDR, Clean, MS, BG, Hi Gain, Zoom, OD/Dist, Fuzz, Metal, Acoustic, Effect In), 2 variation effects (Vintage, Standard), 3 band EQ, auto-chromatic tuner, ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) device, 4 Drive effects (Boost, Sustain, Edge, Bottom), 10 modulation effects (Chorus, Flanger, Phase, Doubling, Tremolo, Auto Wah, Step, Slow-A, Pitch, Ring Mod), Delay/Reverb effects which has 4 types (Delay, Echo, Room, Hall), Power Damp Switch, Foot Switch jack, AUX input jack, Microphone jack, 10 user programmable patches, and 20 Zoom preset patches. It can also emulate 22 different amp models (Marshall, Fender, Peavey, Mesa, Orange, Randall, Crate, etc.). // 10

Sound: I'm using a Samick Interceptor II which has 2 Duncan Designed humbuckers and this amp makes the crappy pickups sound great. It only breaks up at maximum volumes but with the help of he ZNR, the noise is reduced. The Clean Drive stays clean even on high volumes. The distortion in the amp isn't that heavy. Switch to Metal Drive, you can get a Metallica-like sound. Switch to OD/Dist Drive, you can get a Nirvana-like sound. Switch to Hi Gain Drive, you can get a Van Halen-like sound. Switch to Fuzz Drive, you can get a Jimi Hendrix-like sound. It's so versatile you can get many sounds by just experimenting with it. You don't need to buy any effects because this amp has it all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've just purchased it last week and so far I haven't got a single problem with it. I exchanged it for another because the first amp they gave me has a crack at the bottom, another crack at the rear, and the tuner doesn't work. I've checked some comments and most of them say "my input jack broke off" but mine's still intact. I haven't used it Live yet but I thing it can last one or two gigs without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I mostly play classic rock, metal, punk, and some blues and this amp suits each of them very well. I've been playing for 2 years and as I've said earlier, I own a Samick Interceptor II which has 2 (sounds like crap) Duncan Designed humbuckers. I forgot to ask the salesman "can you give me the footswitch for free?". If it were stolen? Hmmm... I would definitely buy it again. I love the very amp itself. The only thing I hate about the amp is that you can only get one or two effects at the same time. But overall it looks and sounds great. For the price of this amp, I would recommend it for beginners so that they can find their own sound and experiment with different effects. I only wish this amp is an inch bigger and the distortion a lot heavier. // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014