WH-1 Japanese Girl Wah Review

manufacturer: AMT date: 08/19/2014 category: Guitar Effects
AMT: WH-1 Japanese Girl Wah
The WH-1 is a wah goddammit, it's the easiest type of pedal to get a good sound of once you get the hang of it.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.2
 8.3
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
WH-1 Japanese Girl Wah Reviewed by: edvin-englund, on august 19, 2014

Price paid: € 99

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: There are three settings for the WH-1, but I only find one of them useful. Besides that: it's a wah goddammit, it's the easiest type of pedal to get a good sound of once you get the hang of it. However, the small footprint can take a few minutes to get used of if you have been using a standard size wah before. Also it is kind of tricky to engage the pedal, unlike a standard wah where you just put your weight on the toe side, you have to rock the WH-1 back maybe 1/2 an inch and then stomp the toeside (or maybe it's just mine that is a bit sketchy). // 8

Sound: In my band I play mostly rock/funk/reggae-ish music and a wah feels good to have for those kind of sounds. I run my strat in to the WH-1 then into a Tubescreamer and then into a Malekko Dark Ekko into my Fender Blues Jr. The WH-1 has three settings for the frequency range (0.2k-1k, 0.3k-1, 5k and 0.4-2k). I use the brightest setting, otherwise the sweep get too aggressive and you barely hear anything in the heel position. Even in my favorite setting the sweep feels kind of unnatural and there's a rapid gap between the W and the AH if you know what I mean. Running this in front of a dirty amp and/or pedal however, sounds great and you get a really thick, vocal sound that is great for soloing. For rhythm playing this might not be the best wah, but it will do it for me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The AMT WH-1 is a sturdy little bastard. It's smaller and heavier than a standard Boss pedal. It's True Bypass and have electro-optical operation which means there are no moving electrical parts that gets worn out, so there are no pots that will become scratchy after a year. (*cough* Vox V845). I can really depend on this pedal and would gig comfortably without a backup. Another plus is that there are two LEDs that light up when the pedal is engaged, unlike most wahs. I have no Idea of the battery-lifetime in this pedal, but I use an adapter with a daisy-chain to power all my pedal so this wouldn't be an issue for me. // 10

Overall Impression: This is not my first wah. I used to have a Vox V845 which wasn't true bypass, so it sucked the presence of my tone while not engaged, it was huge, the pots became scratchy and some times during a gig the wah was on without me knowing and I wondered why the hell my tone was so weird. The WH-1 solves all these common wah-problems. However the Vox had a more classic sound while the WH-1 feels more modern and a tad sterile. But the WH-1 has so many great features so it is the only wah that I really want to have in my rig. // 8

More AMT reviews rating category latest review
+ R-1 Preamp 9.4 Guitar Effects 07/26/2012