King Of Tone V4 Review

8.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 19 comments vote for this gear:
King Of Tone V4 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 06, 2009

Purchased from: thegearpage.net

Ease of Use: The KoT V4 is the latest version of the the King Of Tone Overdrive Pedal by Analogman. Now I have to say that I am slightly biased towards Analogman, seeing as everything they put out seems to be great. The KoT V4 is no exception. It's an Overdrive stompbox, with 2 switches on either side that control 2 independent channels. They each have 3 knobs for volume, Drive, and tone. Can be used separately or together. I generally use the right side for an Overdrive and the left side as more of a clean boost. The LEDs are super bright so there is no trouble figuring out if the effects are on or off. Here's where the pedal is set apart from other overdrives. On the interior, there are 4 dip switches, 2 to control each side of the pedal. The dip switches change the pedal from Overdrive to distortion, and from clean boost to Overdrive, to put it plainly. There is also a Switch for a treble boost, which is especially helpful if you have a dark sounding amp or guitar. Everything is fairly easy to use. My only complaint is that the dip switches are on the inside, and can sometimes be pain to use. // 9

Sound: This KoT does not have the high-gain mod done to it. It has a little less gain than a tube Screamer. Both channels sound Stellar, giving you the right amount of Drive but maintaining the sound of your amp very well. I play it through a Vox AC30 and it sounds great. It sounds like your amp is overdriving, rather than a pedal is saturating your tone. As with all Analogman effects, it's true bypass so no tone sucking here. Although the distortion dip Switch setting is usable, I personally do not like it very much. This is a great low gain Overdrive pedal, and that's the way it should be used. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing looks extremely well built. All the switches are top notch, casing is hard, can take a beating. Generally speaking, all Analogman effects are extremely well built, with the best parts. I've been using it for about half a year now, and it's withstood a ton. I doubt it will break down on me ever. // 10

Overall Impression: If you order this pedal direct from Analogman, there is a 2 year waiting list. So try to get one used if you can, they go for anywhere between $300-400. It is probably one of the best Overdrive pedals I have ever played, and for almost 3 times the cost of a standard Overdrive, it should be! I play blues, rock, funk, and worship music. This pedal can do just about anything other than metal. If it was stolen I would definitely buy another one. If you can afford one, get one. // 10

King Of Tone V4 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: If you can dial in an Overdrive pedal, then you can get great sounds from the KoT. That being said, most people do not set up Overdrive pedals correctly. They assume that they need to Dime the gain knob, but this really just sounds like shit. // 10

Sound: This is how I set the KoT with my 67 Super Reverb and Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I set the amps to just over the edge of breakup. Its crunches a little when I play hard, and cleans up when I Pick lightly. This is the pallet from which I use the KoT. It pushed the amp so it sounds like tube heaven. I owned a JHS Double barrel which is the same idea with the dual overdrive, but it not nearly as natural sounding as the KoT. The KoT really lets your guitar and amp sound come through. Combining this with my Klon Centaur for a clean boost, and its the best sounding leads I've ever heard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Gigged with, has yet to have a failure. // 10

Overall Impression: Everything Analogman puts out is great. Its because the pedals aren't made on a factory assembly line in the orient. Its made by hand here in the USA. For that very reason, this pedal comes at a price. Not just monetarily, but a long waiting list. Its well worth the wait to get one, but if you can't wait, just pay twice price on eBay like I did! LOL. // 10

More Analogman reviews rating category latest review
+ Juicer 5.5 Guitar Effects 04/19/2010