DAG-150 Review

manufacturer: Aracom Amplifiers date: 07/20/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Aracom Amplifiers: DAG-150
This is a 150 watt hand wired attenuator designed for tube amps, with 40 decibels of attenuation, and it was worth every penny.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
DAG-150 Reviewed by: ethan_hanus, on july 20, 2011

Ease of Use: This is a 150 watt hand wired attenuator designed for tube amps, with 40 decibels of attenuation, and let me start off by saying, it was worth every penny. These are not very common, but I'm under the impression that they are the best attenuator you can buy. The Original cost brand new was close to $1000, so I got a steal on this thin. This attenuator is pretty easy to use, and has a mass of cool features that are completely unique to it. The first and greatest feature of this attenuator is the ohm load selection. You can use this to change the ohms going to your speakers. Example, say I have a 16 ohm amp, and a 8 ohm cab, I can set it for 16 ohms in, and 8 ohms out through the attenuator. Another cool feature is that it has two outputs, so you can run either two cabs, or run a single cab in stereo if your amp is not a stereo amp. Another feature it has is a line out, with a line out volume control. So you can record line out from the DAG, and control the DAG line volume. Another cool feature is you can use the DAG as your load, and run your amp without a speaker. The last cool feature is a low pass filter switch, which will cut any extreme highs when engaged. The manual was very informative, and very easy to understand. It drills into your head the steps to set it up, and what to check every time you use it, so as to not damage it or your amp. // 10

Sound: The set up I'm running this attenuator though is a Valveking 112 custom head through a 1x12 cab (original combo with closed back) with a WGS V-30 in it. Guitar is a 2006 Squier Affinity with Barekunckle Painkiller in the bridge, and Barekunckle Trilogy Suites in the middle and neck, and using a Ibanez TS9 as a boost. Since my amp sucks at power tube saturation, it's prolly not the best amp to test this on, especially for the over driven clean tone. But from what I've gathered from using it, is that it is the clearest attenuator I've ever heard. Absolutely no coloration of the sound, you still get all your lows, mids, and highs. The only thing I don't particularly like in terms of tone from this, is the line out, it cuts off the highs rather quick, around the 7000 hz range, and it registers as clipping, thus making for a dull line in signal when running lots of gain. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank, made from solid 1/8 inch aluminum sheet, hand wired, and all the switches and knobs are stiff, and heavy duty, I don't think this thing will ever break. Pushing my amp as hard as it would go, this thing didn't even get warm, it disperses the heat that well. It's prolly one of the best investments I've made, I'll have this attenuator for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression was just wow, I'll never buy another attenuator after this one. I'm so glad I have one, cause now I can get all the tones I want (if I had a better amp). The only thing I hate about it is the line in clipping, and the fact that it just has one handle, the handle is spring loaded, so it goes back down, but I wish it had a second one. If it got stolen, I would cry, and prolly save up to buy another one. My favorite feature by far is the selectable ohms, one of the most unique features I've seen. // 9

Comments