SCH-Z Stereo Chorus Review

manufacturer: Arion date: 06/11/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Arion: SCH-Z Stereo Chorus
Many chorus effect units have limited high frequency response. The SCH-1 features a special tone control that lets you boost the highs when needed. It uses BBD technology to get a superior low-noise chorus effect.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 Ease of Use: 7.5
 6.6
 5.2
reviews (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
SCH-Z Stereo Chorus Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2004

Ease of Use: This Pedal has 3 knobs, which are relatively easy to use, rate depth and tone, it's easy to get a good sound. The manual came in Japanese and English, it's useless, and you'll understand the functions better if you try the pedal, and discover the effects this piece of equipment can produce. // 6

Sound: I'm currently using a Peavey Backstage 110 (1983), solid state, and my main axe, an Ibanez RG 7 string, the pedal can make a very annoying sound if you make the rate sound fast, so the effect isn't always great. You can get a clear chorus tone, very similar to Korn's "Blind", this pedal is a decent box, and for $20.00 dollars, well, it's surprising in quality. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I could depend on this pedal if I don't use batteries, which lose power very easily, the pedal is made of plastic, so it can brake if you step on it real hard, I would probably use it in a gig without a backup, but if I can, I will use the built in chorus in my amp, and avoid this pedal. // 6

Overall Impression: I play Death Metal, melodic metal, and I also experiment with other sounds, I've been playing for almost 4 years, I own 3 Ibanez electric guitars, RG7321, GRX20, and a RG320DXQM, I own a Spanish classical Fender, I prefer nylon strings, they sound sweeter. If this pedal was lost or stolen, I wouldn't really mind, I will get a new pedalboard soon, chorus effects are a standard feature on these. I chose this because of the price, and it's not too bad after all, it's a good disposable effect. I wish it wasn't plastic, it might break easily. // 8

SCH-Z Stereo Chorus Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2007

Purchased from: Aroundabout Sound

Ease of Use: Firstly, I'm very specific about my tone, so I only buy pedals that I know I can tailor perfectly to the sound in my head. This doesn't fail. There's 3 knobs controlling rate, depth, and tone, which is really all you need in my opinion. You can get a nice, slow chorus with a good level of depth all the way to a really quick one, the latter I have no time for, but I didn't buy it for that, and as it's extremely versatile, anyone can get the sounds they want from it. The manual was in Japanese and English, and isn't really any use, just plugging it in a fiddling around yourself is the only realy way to find out about it's features. I have no idea what the firmware is, and there were no mods done to it. The stereo feature is great, meaning you can use two amps for a really big effect. // 9

Sound: I use it through a Gibson SG Special into a Marshall DSL50, with MXR Distortion+ and a Crybaby. It's very quiet if it has its own power supply, but when I hook all my pedals up to this multipower adapter, it squeels like a pig, but that's is the adapter, nothing to do with the pedal. I have to say, I was very surprised as it's sounds fantastic. I bought to try and get my tone closer to those on Iron Maidens "Somewhere in Time" album, and it does it perfectly. On clean it really does sound phenominal and with a nice helping of Overdrive it retains the clarity you want, and really shines in both channels. Switch on a nice dose of reverb with it and the the leads really sound atmospherical. One thing I would say however is that I find it quite bassy, so turn the "tone" control up and the problem is sorted, but hey, it all depends on the individual, and is easily tailored as mentioned before. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on it, but my only problem is the batteries. Theres no real sign of knowing when they are running out, but you can change them quickly at a gig if need be, and the single 9v battery is in an ideal location; on the top, under an easily removable plastic cover - no screws! I do intend on purchasing the Dunlop Power Brick though, but in the mean time batteries are fine. The only thing that I think lets the pedal down is the "feel" of it, the chunky plastic casing feels cheap (which it is, but the sounds are perfect). If it were mounted in a nice heavy die cast metal box like the MXR stompers are, it would be flawless. It also means it is not as heavy, so could be moved around easily on stage if not in a pedal board. I would happily gig with it without a backup, and will be putting it to the test in the coming month, so if there are any problems I'll update this! // 7

Overall Impression: I favour 80's metal like Maiden, Metallica, but generally play all styles, ranging from groups like Extreme to Wheatus. It suits all styles, and can be altered quickly with the 3 controls. My favourite thing still though is jamming along to sit, and sounding pleasingly identical to Adrian Smith and Dave Murray. I've been playing for about 2 years, and I'm pretty advanced, plus being anal about tone, I wouldn't have bought this if it didn't Live up to expectations. I was originally considering the MXR Chorus, but for nearly 200, this seemed a little steep. If it were lost or stolen etc. I would either buy the model again, or save for the MXR one, unfortunately nowhere near me regularly stocks the MXR Chorus, and I would liek to try it out and compare. Either way, this pedal is a real buy, and I couldn't reccomend it any more. // 10

More Arion reviews rating category latest review
+ MDI-2 Bass Distortion 7.4 Bass Effects 09/19/2006