TO30 Review

manufacturer: Ashton date: 11/04/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Ashton: TO30
Very easy to use - like any three knob guitar effects pedal. I play blues and rock, no metal, and this is great for getting a certain sound.
 Ease of Use: 10
 9.5
 2.4
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
TO30 Reviewed by: JohnSkyward, on november 04, 2011

Purchased from: Academy of Sound

Ease of Use: Very easy to use - like any three knob guitar effects pedal. The tone knob works well, better than two knobs for tone on this pedal I think as I just use it to get a tube sound. The manual is good - some sample settings, useful information about where to place pedals between guitar and the amp. Very good. // 10

Sound: I was very impressed. I own various pedals that I play through my Fender Mustang IV (using Epiphone LP Studio) like an Ibanez TS9, Boss DS1, Boss SD1, some compressors, EQ pedals, GarageTone Overdrive, Son Of Hyde etc. I thought for 21 pounds I'd take a chance. It gives a very tube like sound - very different (and better) than a TS9. It warms to signal and with the levels at 12 a round, fat smooth tube sound. I have never heard a pedal make a SS amp sound more like one of my old tube amps. I use is with the Drive backed off to 9 O'Clock and the tone at 2 O'Clock, to get that tube sound, then I use an Overdrive pedal for lead on top of it. I am very impressed by this ugly Orange box. I may re-house it one day. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it a week - it seems solid. I can't add much more here as the unit is too new for me to have had any problems with it. It is made from metal, shaped like a foot. It is orange. The box looks like it is from the 1980s. That is all I can think of for now. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock, no metal, and this is great for getting a certain sound. I would order a new one immediately if it broke or was lost. It has transformed my SS Mustang and does more for the tone than any of the pre-sets can. I always run it on a clean channel. I have a friend who has built a DS1 into his guitar, and I may ask him to build this pedal into my LP - just the circuitry and knobs with an extra input and selector switch - its much cheaper than buying and maintaining a quality tube amp. // 10

More Ashton reviews rating category latest review
+ AG 131 7.4 Electric Guitars 05/29/2012