AM 64 Review

manufacturer: BBE date: 01/04/2012 category: Guitar Effects
BBE: AM 64
This pedal sound great to get a nice distortion out of a clean channel.
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 9.2
 9.4
reviews (2) pictures (2) 1 comment vote for this gear:
AM 64 Reviewed by: Tankebull, on july 04, 2011

Ease of Use: Saw a stack of the pedals on the sale shelf at GC. Picked up the box, opened it, and looked at the pedal. Love at first sight. I didn't need this pedal, it just looked cool and the price was too cheap to worry about it. Got it home and checked it out. It has three knobs: Level, Tone, and Gain. It is straight up easy. The knobs are very responsive. I plugged it into my 1978 Marshall JMP MKII. It sounded great for a little overdrive. // 10

Sound: It sounded great for a little a little taste of overdrive. Once you add more gain it gets to sounding a bit meaner. It is not noisy at all. Please note that I don't think that this pedal is supposed to be run out front of a Vintage Marshall. I hooked it to a solid state head on the clean channel. The pedal then woke me up! Adds a great sounding distortion/overdrive to the clean channel. Very authentic sounding, not "Digital" sounding. Very impressed! // 9

Reliability & Durability: BBE has always built tough ass equipment in my opinion. The AM 64 is no exception. Yes, you could gig with this thing with no worries! The pedal has a bright ass blue light when you step on it. It will blind you but that's OK. This pedal straight up looks cool! // 10

Overall Impression: I am getting older now and have kind of settled into a Blues-Rock type thing. I have been playing about 25 years and am funny about trying new effects/tools... I plug into my Marshall w/ my Pauls and let it rip. Pretty straight forward. This pedal sound great to get a nice distortion out of a clean channel. I will continue to tinker with it enjoy it. The AM 64 will not replace my Boss SD-1, but I really think this pedal has its place with many tone freaks. // 9

AM 64 Reviewed by: tas38, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: Local Guitar Center

Ease of Use: It's very easy to dial in your sound. All it takes is matching up the tone knob with your amp's EQ to sound well. Then, setting the level to where it doesn't jump lower or higher in bypass mode. It didn't come with a manual... Mine didn't even come with a box actually. // 9

Sound: I use this with a Fender HS "Hippie Blue" strat played through a, now bear with me, a Raven RG60. The noise factor is pretty much nill. I think my guitar actually causes more noise than the pedal does. The distortion is pretty rock solid for what I like. I play mostly punk, and several forms of alternative, from the lighter stuff like All-American Rejects, to pretty hardcore stuff like From First To Last, but I don't really get into any modern day metal. With that in mind, this pedal is NOT for modern, hi gain, rip out your organs death metal. I think it can cover almost anything else. The closest sound I get out of it is a 90's Green Day tone. It sounds exactly like "Basket Case" or "Brain Stew" with my Humbucker. Using my single coil, I actually get a very nice lead tone that's both mellow and clear. Overall it just sounds amazing. I'm only giving it a 9 because it doesn't have enough gain for the br00tz, even though it's called American METAL 64. Since I wanna go over the top with my distortion (I mean more than the originals use) I plan on getting a BBE Green Screamer to push it harder. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems really, REALLY solid. I feel like I could set it on the sidewalk and drop a cinder block on it. Very heavy for its size, but I've only had it a few months. // 10

Overall Impression: For punk rock from Green Day to the Unseen all the way up to From First To Last or Bullet For My Valentine, it delivers a great tone with lots of gain. This is actually my first distortion pedal I've bought for myself, but I've played many others, and this one has blown those away. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. The 50ish dollar pedals by Boss and DigiTech are bland and boring compared to this thing, and it's only 20 bucks. I just love the raw, buzzy distortion this thing gives. I think the best think about it is how authentic it sounds, it's just real, it isn't digital at all. Listen to "Basket Case" and pay attention to the guitar, that's the sound your getting out of it. // 9

More BBE reviews rating category latest review
+ BMAX 4.3 Bass Amplifiers 03/01/2013