Mind Bender Review

manufacturer: BBE date: 09/24/2012 category: Guitar Effects
BBE: Mind Bender
The Mind Bender is a dual-mode analog Vibrato/Chorus pedal that produces a wide range of lush vibrato/chorus and rotating speaker effects and was patterned after two rare vintage pedals the Boss VB-2 Vibrato and Way Huge Electronics Blue Hippo.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Ease of Use: 9
 5.5
 7.5
 3.4
reviews (3) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Mind Bender Reviewed by: init24, on january 30, 2008

Ease of Use: There are two knobs, speed and depth, and two foot switches, chorus/vibrato and on/off This pedal becomes almost unusable when you put the depth past 5, but when it is kept low it sounds very subtle and nice. It can get a very good Nirvana sound in the chorus mode if set right. The foot switchable chorus/vibrato makes it a lot easier than a toggle Switch. // 7

Sound: I used this with a Vox AC15 CC1 and it is unbearably noisy. I have tried several different cables, but nothing changes it remains unbearably noisy. The effect itself sounds average, nothing great. It doesn't have that lush chorus tone and the vibrato is a bit weak. It goes well with other effects and the true bypass, means no tone sucking. Regardless the noise kills it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: If I had to I could depend on this pedal, but this pedal should be reserved as backup due to the noise. It hasn't given me any problems out of the ordinary. The knobs move smoothly and the switches don't ever fail. It's built in a sturdy enclosure, one that I would rank with an Electro-Harmonix in that fact that it's built like a tank // 8

Overall Impression: This pedal should be a good math for my style ('60s-'70s rock, blues, and Grunge), but the sound is mediocre. The chorus is nothing compared to a Voodoo Labs Analog Chorus or an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone. I hate the noise, I don't't like the vibrato or the chorus. I want this pedal stolen, that's how much I hate it. This was a terrible impulse buy, don't make the mistake I did. // 6

Mind Bender Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 24, 2010

Purchased from: Small Local Store

Ease of Use: A "Guitar World Platinum Award" winner, this pedal pumps out bucket-brigade goodness from the first note! What a friggin' bargain! The usual knobs for speed and depth, along with the on/off and vibrato/chorus footswitches. One extra bright Led at the top for power on/off, it pulses the tempo when on. Vibrato and chorus each has its own Led indicator: whichever is selected Stays On even when the pedal is off, so you know what you'll get Before you stomp on it! Perfect for a darkened stage! Manual included, but unnecessary. Wall wart also included. // 10

Sound: Sweet sums it up! Smooth rich tone pours out. Familiar sounds are between 6 and 12, with my personal favorite between 9 and 11. This pedal is suited from classic rock to styles with softer edges. Great set at about 9 for a shimmery intro then switched to chorus for build up in a song! Pedal itself doesn't produce noise. Rated at 9 in this category Only because it doesn't offer a setting for a harder edged modern sound. But hey, it still does a lot for the money! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Hammer proof! Great design: square with rounded edges, nice rubber and handy access for battery users, Led placement good. Two effects in one footprint with true-bypass. Heavy enough to inspire a confident stomp, but not so heavy it will pry itself from your pedal board! // 10

Overall Impression: I've owned a lot of pedals and this one is far better than most. I've played guitar for over 30 years, mostly rock and fingerstyle. I like to mix the two and this effect really warms up a clean electric guitar tone! I was already sold on the Sonic Stomp as a "secret weapon" in my large amp's effects loop! The Mind Bender's quality and value doesn't surprise me and I look forward to trying the other BBE products out there! // 10

Mind Bender Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 24, 2012

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, it's a chorus Vibrato pedal one or the other simple. // 10

Sound: Through many amps there is noise. I know it's analog but I have good cables and a good amp Koch SE6 Cornell Romany and it makes too much noise. Plus it distorts nastily if you play too hard I play a P90 based guitar the Yamaha SA 503 TVL. When I play my bass through it forget it. If it were not for the excess noise and distortion it does sound wonderful, but cannot recommend. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Yes. It is strong, but does smell funny. // 10

Overall Impression: Basically a cursed pedal. Sounds amazing when it does not distort (I guess my stock P90s are too hot, but why have I never had this problem with any other pedal ever before) but it does distort and it makes way way too much noise when sitting idle. Oh yes, it does color your tone when the effect is engaged too much. It's just a stinker of a pedal. If BBE sorted the distortion and noise problem I would love this pedal but I don't and I wish I could. // 3

More BBE reviews rating category latest review
+ BMAX 4.3 Bass Amplifiers 03/01/2013