Sonic Stomp Review

manufacturer: BBE date: 01/27/2009 category: Guitar Effects
BBE: Sonic Stomp
Many musicians don't have a spot for the rack mount unit, but long for the legendary clarity, definition and punch that only a Sonic Maximizer can provide. BBE took heed and carefully designed the Sonic Stomp foot pedal which delivers the same amazing sonic improvement as our popular 482i Sonic Maximizer.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Ease of Use: 9.3
 8.5
 9.4
 7.5
reviews (3) pictures (1) 38 comments vote for this gear:
Sonic Stomp Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 12, 2006

Ease of Use: This is the greatest effect since distortion! It has two knobs, a lo counter which affects the bass frequencies, and a process knob that adds alot of, literally, sparkling highs. This pedal is the perfect solution to cut through the mix in a band situation. // 10

Sound: I'm using Jackson DK-2's and an Ibanez RG350EX. This is not an EQ pedal. Basically, it boosts your bass and treble frequencies, but also seperates which frequency is bass, mid, or treble. This thickens up the tone so much and helps your playing shine through more than any other pedal. It is so crisp and clear sounding, it's undescribable. Run it through an effects loop for the best results (in my opinion). I know everyone says this, but it does sound like you've taken a blanket off your amp's speakers. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Reliable? Well, I've owned it for two months, so I am not going to rate this good or bad. However, it's made of some alloy and is strong as hell. I never get a hickup from it and it hasn't given me any trouble. // 5

Overall Impression: I play all forms of rock (metal, classic, new age) classical, and occasional blues (Buddy Guy, SRV). This is not a one trick pony. It is the ultimate tone pedal. Suitable for any application, bad for nothing. Seriously, who doesn't want a more defined lead tone, tighter distortion, and beefy cleans? If you haven't used this pedal, you don't know what you're missing! // 10

Sonic Stomp Reviewed by: rad82, on april 19, 2008

Ease of Use: Getting the sound you really want out of this pedal takes a little bit of time, and factors in all of the other pedals in the chain and the amp, so it may take even more time. But once you get everything adjusted just right, it is worth every penny. This is a pretty basic pedal aside from the required fiddling, but the manual was easy to read. The only thing that's really important I read is that you should always keep it last in your chain for maximum results. // 8

Sound: It might be harder for me to get that great sound I yearn for with this pedal because I am using a terrible amp by Rogue. However, I have a Les Paul and I fairly good processor from DigiTech, so that might make up for it. If the process is turned up to much, it will give off one of the worst tones ever, it almost sounds like the guitar from any old N.E.S. game. But I can not stress this enough; once you can find the sweet spot, it is the most amazing sound you will get with your set up, especially on distorted tones. Now anyone can practically get a major label sound for under $100. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is a completely dependable pedal. I have had absolutely no problems with it shorting out or anything at all. The pedal is made of very reliable materials and you could probably through it at your wall and not care, although I still wouldn't take the risk. // 10

Overall Impression: I am in a band that many people consider to be fairly aclectic, although staying somewhat around its punk/indie roots. If all you are playing is clean guitars you may want to purchase something else first that would help you out more, although you can still hear the difference and I wouldn't play clean without it. I'd say the main hook to this is using it with distortion. There are basically no other brands trying to make a similar pedal, so I can't really compare it with any others. Now that I have mastered the knob fiddling, this pedal has turned my guitar tone world upside down. I plan on using this pedal for years to come. // 10

Sonic Stomp Reviewed by: TW909, on january 27, 2009

Purchased from: SAMASH

Ease of Use: The BBE Sonic Stomp has an on/off button and two knobs fitted onto a slick lokking pedal which is about the size off a Boss effect. The first knob is a Low Contour and the second is called process. It has one input and one output and is powered by 9-volt baterry or by a supplied A/C adapter. Rotating the low contour 'generally' raises/lowers the Bass while the Process knob 'generally' raises/loers the Treble. Two knobs make this pedal easy to work with. // 10

Sound: Now, everyone always asks what exactly the Sonic Stomp does. It would seem that the Low contour doesn't just raise/lower the bass levels but when adjusted correctly it allows more low-end with no foggines to the bass. The process knob does increse decrease treble; It also seems to clear up the whole harmonics rather then just adding treble. The pedal doesn't add any extra hum and never gets turned off so no worry about switching. The Sonic Stomp fixes the slurs in the electric signal when it is amplified by, you guessed it, your amp. Turning off the Sonic Stomp lowers your volume and sucks the warmth out of your tone. There is also talk of where to stick this pedal. I put it last I'm my chain directly into my amps input but others put it last in their effects loop. Either way the difference is true and can't be overlooked. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a pretty solid little guy and hugs the floor nicely. The included A/C plug allows endless use and that is what this pedal demands. I never turn it off. I've had it for sevral months and it has showed no signs of slowing down. You really notice a difference when palm-muting or with fast, multiple-string runs. No thumpimg in the bass and crystal clear "smooth" treble. I havn't used the rack unit but this pedal did everything it says it does with style. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and the high gain tones can be thumpy or harsh. this BBE Sonic Stomp cleaned up my tone. My amp isn't high dollar and the stompboxes I play need to count. This one fits the bill and really provided the option of turning up without regretting it. Turn it on then turn it off and we'll have another believer; plain and simple. Also I'd like to add that it sort of 'compresses' the sound so volume control is easier when playing clean! Try it out. // 10

More BBE reviews rating category latest review
+ BMAX 4.3 Bass Amplifiers 03/01/2013