AM400 Ultra Acoustic Modeler Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 03/29/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: AM400 Ultra Acoustic Modeler
The AM400 was less than half the price of the Boss unit so I bought it and I'm actually really happy with it. This pedal only works with acoustic tracks or tracks with very little gain.
 Ease of Use: 8
 8.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
AM400 Ultra Acoustic Modeler Reviewed by: Vern1971, on march 29, 2013

Ease of Use: Its an easy pedal to use, simply adjust the knobs to your liking and off you go. However... This pedal is mis-marketed as an acoustic modeler. I'm not sure if that's an accurate description of what it does. It doesn't turn your electric guitar into an acoustic sounding guitar. What it actually does is give your guitar the sounds and tones of an AMPLIFIED acoustic guitar. For example, my partner has a Yamaha APX 500 2. This pedal wont make my Edwards Les Paul sound anything like the Yamaha's natural acoustic tone but it does quite accurately give me the tones of the amped up Yamaha and its very convincing at doing this. Unfortunately the manual is pretty useless (a piece of paper filled with techno babble) so I'm marking it down due to this even though its an easy pedal to use. // 8

Sound: My set up is as follows: Edwards Les Paul into an Orange OR15 head with 112 cab. I have a limited selection of pedals. The only one I've used so far with the AM400 is an EHX Small Stone Nano which worked nicely but overpowered the AM400 a bit. I have found that you need to play with the amps settings to get the best out of this pedal. I use these settings:

• Treble, cut back to 9 o'clock.
  • Mids, left on 12 o'clock
  • Bass, slight boost, around 1-2 o'clock.
  • Gain low. This pedal sounds bad with too much gain. I have no experience with acoustic guitars other than the APX 500 2 so I can't comment on how accurately this pedal mimics tones. All I know is that on the pedals bright setting, with a bit of reverb I can hit the amplified APX tone spot on and I'm giving it a 10 due to this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made of thick, turd coloured plastic and it has these knobs:

• Level, the effects overall volume.
  • Res, level of resonance.
  • Attack, level of... Hell, I dunno, attack?
  • Reverb, level of reverberation. Can be set to 0.
  • Mode, standard body, large body, bright and piezo. I'm a novice, I don't gig. Even if I did I wouldn't use this pedal for that as its plastic. If you want to go gigging either get a real acoustic or get the Boss acoustic pedal. Its made of metal and looks bullet proof. I'm marking down because of this. // 8

Overall Impression: I like the sound of acoustic guitars but I never played one that didn't feel like I was fretting cheesewire. I decided to look into getting an acoustic modeler pedal so that I could simulate those sounds with my Edwards. I checked out this pedal and the Boss pedals reviews and vids on YouTube and liked both a lot. The AM400 was less than half the price of the Boss unit so I bought it and I'm actually really happy with it and if it was stolen or got broken I would replace it. I play doom, metal, grunge, a little punk and the blues. This pedal only works with acoustic tracks or tracks with very little gain. The only thing I don't like about it is the plastic case, I can forgive the turd brown colouration. Recap... If you want to have your guitar sound like an unplugged acoustic you will need an actual acoustic guitar, its the only way. If however you want a pedal that can mimic the sounds of an amplified acoustic guitar this will do the job. // 9

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
    + X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014