DD400 Digital Delay Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 05/26/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: DD400 Digital Delay
The DD400 effects pedal offers subtle to radical stereo delay and echo with a resolution comparable to state-of-the-art studio processors.
 Ease of Use: 7.5
 6.8
 6.6
reviews (4) pictures (3) 29 comments vote for this gear:
DD400 Digital Delay Reviewed by: luisato, on august 12, 2009

Ease of Use: Like all the Behringer's stompboxes it has a very easy way of use.It only has 4 knobs:one to select the mode of delay, and the other 3 for level(volume)feedback(how long the repetitions remains sounding)and time(the time between each repetition.It goes up to 1.3 seconds). The pedal brings a manual who is practically unnecesary because its very easy to understand how to use the effect and because it hasn't got much explanations. // 9

Sound: I use this effect with a cheap Burmeister Stratocaster guitar and a 40W electrovox amp, and I'm able to get a very good sound out from it without any noise.I basically use this effect to get a slightly echo to add some sutain for lead sound, however you could use it with a long time delay and will sound great, due to the fact this effect bring a 24-bit resolution delay. I mostly play Classic Hevy Metal such as Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and I get a good sound for the solos. In my opinion this effects has very high quiality sound, but if you are looking for a very long time delay(2 sec or more) it's not the effect for you. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is entirely made of plastic, so itsn't very reliable.You have to take serious care of it just to avoid any fall because it would be critical for the effect. About the durability I think that you must use it with a backup because as all delays it has a very high energy consumition rate, so if were you I would definetely use a backup on a gig. // 6

Overall Impression: As I said before I play heavy metal and this effect is essential for me, however I think that a delay is needed in nearly all musical styles. I've been playing guitar for 5 years now and I own another Behringer effect, the UD100, who really matches with this delay. Using this 2 effects at the same time I'm able to get a high-gain lead sound with a little echo adding more sutain to the sound. If it were stolen I would definetely buy another one because it offers a very good sound at a very good price. The only thing that I deslike from it is the blue on/off Status led which is very bright and in some moments is very annoying, despite this I think it's a great effect with mono/stereo delay sound reccomendable for begginners, intermediates and also advance guitar players. // 8

DD400 Digital Delay Reviewed by: asfastasdark, on september 02, 2009

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: At first, you have to mess around with it for about five minutes, but then you'll know what you want. The manual explains the functions of each of the four knobs in detail and couldn't be better. After five to ten minutes you should be able to get the sound you're looking for. // 9

Sound: I'm using a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe into a Crate GTD65. This pedal does not sound noisy at all. You can go from a very subtle delay to a very noticeable delay, and from relatively short to pretty long delay times. You can also choose how many repeats you want. You have the options of mono or stereo output, a pretty unique feature as far as pedals go. The delay does not add any sound other than delay to your sound. It is digital, so you will not get the warmth of an analog delay, but besides that this pedal is perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is mainly where people bash Behringer products--their pedals are made out of plastic. However, the pedals are definitely not as weak as many make them out to be. I've dropped this pedal many times and it has never broken. I don't stomp on this pedal, but I don't step extremely lightly on it either. // 7

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal but also clean stuff. I've been playing for about four years, and I play a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe through a Crate GTD65. If I lost this pedal, I would definitely buy it again. For the price, it's completely worth it. The reason I like this so much is that you can get a delay similar to Boss delays at a fraction of the price. // 9

DD400 Digital Delay Reviewed by: tim_mop, on july 23, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: This was fairly easy to do. The manual clearly set out what all the modes for the unit were, so it was fairly easy to dial in tones. One major problem though is that the mode select knob is continuous, the only indication of a change in mode is a little flash of the light, which gets a little confusing as its not the most clear when you skip through modes. // 5

Sound: I'm going to cut to the chase straight away, THIS PEDAL SOUNDS TERRIBLE. There is nothing per se wrong with the delay sounds, but the tone suck! The only way I could use it is to have it in a loop in my NS2, leaving the pedal on and using the NS2's mute to bypass it. Seriously, its that bad! Not only that, but in my unit I get this weird sound that I can only liken to a washing machine! It cycles in time with the tap tempo and stays whether the pedal is on or off. Without that the reverse delay sounds good, and all the delays are acceptable, but I just can't get a usable sound from it because of the major suck and the washing Machine that Behringer have cleverly minimised and put in the pedal! // 1

Reliability & Durability: Well, we know that Behringer pedals are fairly budget pedals. The casing appears to be plastic and in general it doesn't feel like its a sturdy pedal. Having said that, it hasn't broken and nothing has gone wrong with it (apart from what i mentioned in 'sound'). So in fact it seems like a fairly reliable pedal which should be fine for all but the most violent of players! // 7

Overall Impression: In all honesty, if I had the chance to go again I'd have saved up and got a slightly better pedal. This one is practically unusable. I would not recommend it, because the biggest problem is in the most important area. And when I emailed Behringer about it they were no real help. Overall, I would recommend any other delay! // 3

DD400 Digital Delay Reviewed by: Quaned, on may 26, 2011

Price paid: A$ 50

Purchased from: Kosmic

Ease of Use: This pedal is a Digital Delay pedal, I am running it through a Peavey Vypyr 75 (modeling amp). I've only doodled around for it, for about 10-15 minutes, and I've seem to get the hang of it, I'm not a pedal person, but it is fairly self explanatory. It comes with manuals in English, Chinese and Japanese. The last thing I want to point out, is when I plugged my power supply in, the blue led wouldn't stop flashing. // 7

Sound: I'm using my Ibanez RG7420 with DiMarzio Liquifire/Crunchlab pickups. For the price of the pedal, I guess it isn't too bad, but certainly there is room for improvement. If you start messing around with the time - while using the delay, you will obtain a somewhat noisy setting. As you can tell, I'm a Dream Theater/John Petrucci fan - for all my delay needs, I just use my amp. I much prefer the delay in my amp, as it sounds more natural than this pedal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: While the packaging felt pretty heavy - the pedal is made from plastic. As I'm fairly nice to my pedals, I think I'd be able to depend on this pedal. But hard core giggers, may find this pedal a bit weak and un- reliable, so look for a nice Boss or DigiTech hard wire pedal. // 4

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 3 years - I own some other odd bits of gear, but nothing fancy. I had won this pedal in a competition - but, If it was stolen, I'd probably look else where for a nice pedal. My favourite feature is probably the hold feature of the pedal - allowing me to loop 1-2 seconds! I'm not terribly impressed with this pedal, nor did I have high expectations. If your in the market for a new delay pedal, I'd recommend to look elsewhere. // 6

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ UM100 Ultra Metal 7.8 Guitar Effects 09/03/2014