FD300 Ultra Feedback/Distortion Review

5.6
reviews (3) pictures (4) 14 comments vote for this gear:
FD300 Ultra Feedback/Distortion Reviewed by: Ro734, on september 22, 2010

Purchased from: www.bluearan.com

Ease of Use: The FD300 super-feedbacker and distortion is a 22 distortion box with a trick up its sleeve-a feedback overtone. Getting a good sound is as easy as poking the pedal and fiddling with the dials. One step turns on the distortion and if you then hold down the pedal it screams at you. It's a typical stompbox in a horrid pinky-purple colour but works easy for the price. The only gripe here is that the batteries are impossible to get to as the pedal release switch is really stiff. To get around this I use my Boss AC adapter. // 8

Sound: I use a Yamaha PAC012 into either a crap practice amp or my Fender '57 Mini Twin amp. The sound is epic and distortion has a massive range. The feedback has adjustable overtones and can be controlled further by how long you let the note resonate before hitting the pedal. You can then play over the overtone but this makes a tinny fuzzing noise. If you turn down the gain you can get clean feedback which sounds incredible. I play rock and metal and this pedal is perfect for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had a single problem yet with it and it's made really solidly. I would gig with this happily with no backup because it doesn't break. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock and metal and I guess thats why I bought a feedbacker in the first place. It sounds epic even with a rubbish amp, a 1W Fender mini twin and my cheap Yamaha Pacifica. In my 3 years of guitaring I've never been able to get feedback until now. My only other pedal is an awesome Zoom G1X. I love the feedback and distortion effects and would definitely buy another. The only other rivals are the Boss DF2 which is impossible to get hold of anymore and the Line 6 Dr. Distorto which is twice the price. This is a cheap easy to use and EPIC pedal. // 10

FD300 Ultra Feedback/Distortion Reviewed by: Kajinaga, on january 04, 2012

Purchased from: ZZsounds.com

Ease of Use: This pedal shouldn't be based by the sound you can get out of it, but by what you can do with it. The pedal features a 4 knobs, Level, Tone, Distortion, and Overtone. It also has a special feature where you Pick a note and hold the pedal down. When this is done, the note is sustained the overtone is brought out. (The reason why it's also called an ultra feedback/distortion pedal) The manual that came with it was in all Chinese, I just threw it away. // 7

Sound: I use a multiple amount of guitars with this pedal, and it's a very fun pedal to play with. You can get a real metal sound out of this pedal, and I don't think you'll be using it for any other genre regularly. The pedal let's you adjust the sound quite well and I was able to get a swell sound out of it. It does the duty of a distortion pedal, but the feedback is the feature of the pedal which is something really neat for those who'd like to end on a good note. Not sure where else you could use this feature for and it work. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal, even though it is plastic. As long as you don't go jumping up and down on it like a monkey, you should be good. Treat your equipment with respect and it will last longer. I would gig without a backup as long as I am able to plug it into an AC adapter. Batteries and this pedal are basically something you want to avoid. Too difficult to get them in the pedal, and they probably won't last too long. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and blues. I'd only use this pedal for metal, and switch to a tube Overdrive for blues. I've been playing for 8 years and I can say that this is a neat toy, but I don't think it exactly cuts the cake for a permanent distortion pedal. If I were to gear it up with a noise gate, an EQ pedal, and a compressor, I would use it as a main distortion pedal. But alone, there is just not enough for me to tweak for that perfect sound I want. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it sounds horrible or anything, I'm just saying it's built around the feedback feature and not necessarilly the distortion. Which is okay. I do love this pedal and will probably use it as my distortion pedal for a really long time until I find something better. The only thing I hate about this is that the feedback feature isn't something you are going to use a lot. I wish it had a speed to determine how fast the note will turn to it's overtone, that would allow me to use it in more places. But I only see this for ending a song on a sustained, epic note. // 7

FD300 Ultra Feedback/Distortion Reviewed by: ShaneCallaghan, on january 25, 2012

Price paid: € 19.5

Purchased from: www.Thomann.de

Ease of Use: I love how in this section I'm asked if I can get a good sound out of this pedal, this thing is terrible, it's a terrible pedal, there are no patches, the manual is clear and concise, but that doesn't make up for this pedal at all. In this section, I'll give it a 2 for the manual, because at least that can be used. That in my opinion is full marks for a manual as usually this helps to get a good sound out of a pedal. // 2

Sound: I use a valve amp, a guitar with active pickups, a long chain of effects pedals including a few noisy pedals, but nothing like this. This thing is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the hum and buzz this thing creates is as loud as the output level of the guitar to the amp. The distortion effect creates a kind of crunch which almost sounds like it could be tight and driven properly but the hum and buzz still cuts through. The feedbacker effect on this is a lot like the Electro-Harmonix Freeze sound retainer, but it's miles more basic and instead of just tapping the freeze retainer, you have to hold the footswitch on this down. This thing interacts terribly with my other pedals. No points here for anything, this gets a one for trying, but then it's taken away for existing and has the cheek to say it's on par with other effects companies. I just noticed that I have to give it a point, which is annoying, as I would have given it a 0. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Nope, can't rely on this. Can't trust it to work for more than 2 minutes. To use the feedbacker, you have to press down on the footswitch and hold your foot on it. Everytime I tried to do this I felt like I was gonna put my foot through to the pedalboard. It took about a months use for it to crack and the footswitch came straight of and I took the pedal and put it straight in the bin. I only used this thing as a songwriting tool, in an attempt to broaden my writing abilities and the only thing it's done for me is made me want a Sustainiac pickup more. // 1

Overall Impression: I play metal, this thing doesn't suit it. I play rock/heavy rock, and this pedal doesn't suit it. I play electronic music, this pedal does suit it if you want something that sounds like the end of Nine Inch Nails - "Hurt". There is something I wish came with this pedal, a Boss DF-2. The DF-2 is the pedal this was modelled after and does everything properly, doesn't have a shell made out of plastic and doesn't sound like a B-52's engine in front of your face. Don't waste 20 to get this, buy 2 sets of strings or a guitar capo, or better yet, a CD. It'll make your guitar sound better if you do. // 1

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ PB100 Preamp Booster 7.5 Guitar Effects 10/28/2014