HM300 Heavy Metal Review

review (1) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
HM300 Heavy Metal Reviewed by: Simon Blackwing, on february 03, 2011

Price paid: € 30

Purchased from: www.dampi.it

Ease of Use: This pedal is the reproduction of the Vintage HM-2 Boss distortion pedal and it sounds pretty similar even if it doesn't looks exactly like the Boss heavy metal pedal, and in my opinion it can suit really well any heavy music style. There are four knobs on this effect, the level knob, the low knob(equivalent to color 1 on the Boss original), the mid knob(equivalent to color 2 on the Boss original), and the dist knob(which has the same problem of the HM-2 dist knob: from 3 to 8 the distorsion is the same) // 8

Sound: I'm running this effect through a Jackson DXMG Dinky and a crappy Behringer GM108, which is noisy itself, so when I use this pedal it sounds a little noisy even with little distortion. It sounds like a crossover between a distortion pedal and a fuzz pedal and it's got very nice grinding mid-high tones. In my opinion this pedal is very versatile in all the kinds of heavy music: hardcore punk, metal, hard rock... and is the best for old school heavy, thrash and even death metal. I bought this mainly to reproduce the sound that swedish Death Metal artist created in the early 90s with the use of the the Boss HM-2, and it sounded very similar when I placed it in my setup (to achieve this tone just turn all knobs on max and play with the gain/drive of your amp). In my opinion it'll be better with an high knob because sometimes, when you turn down your mids it eats the high tones. If I was the builder of this pedal, I will surely added more versatility to the dist knob, which it's difficult to use when trying to achieve low distortions which sounds sometimes cold and without sustain. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a real problem, the pedal is mainly made of hard plastic materials, which aren't very durable. I would have a backup pedal when playing with this at a gig. // 6

Overall Impression: I play mostly old school Death Metal and some neoclassical malmsteen stuff with this pedal, and I'm happy with it even if I understand that is not the best distortion pedal around. I have been playing for 4 years and I tried various pedal, I own a Boss MT-2 and an RP70 DigiTech multi-fx. If I would lose it, I will buy it again for sure, it's just 30! One of the things I hate is the color of the pedal which looks like it was made for a girl. This pedal in my opinion is better than the most of the other Behringer pedals, and it's a good and economic substitute to the Boss HM-2 which is very hard to find and it costs a lot because Boss don't produces it anymore. Excellent quality/price. // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124P 9.5 Guitar Effects 07/17/2014