NR100 Noise Reducer Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 12/05/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: NR100 Noise Reducer
Effectively eliminate unwanted noise and hum without altering your tone. For guitarists who use instruments equipped with single-coil pickups, this is an ingenious problem-solver.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.7
 Ease of Use: 8
 6.4
 7.4
 5.3
reviews (3) pictures (3) 17 comments vote for this gear:
NR100 Noise Reducer Reviewed by: Andrewxox, on february 11, 2008

Ease of Use: Just wire up to your setup and play, it's simple to use because of its compactness and layout. There is a switch between mute and reduction, and two knobs to control the thresh and decay, so it has a good amount of customisation. The change the battery you have to use a pen to push in two buttons and pull the lever off, which is good but becomes too fiddly when it comes to putting the lid back on. // 9

Sound: I was very impressed with the capabilities of this pedal, I use mine with an ESP LTD M50 guitar, AKG wireless system, OD100 pedal and Vox AD30VT amp. The OD100 creates some of the worst feedback I have ever heard, and the Noise Reducer 100 cleans the lot of it up, it does the job very well which is why I love this pedal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Unfortunately, this pedal eats through 9v batteries like a starved dog, and I wouldn't rely on it to last a gig without needed a new battery, which would be a pain. After about an hour of using a new battery the reduction starts to fade out, whether this is the batteries that I use being crap or the pedal consuming a lot of energy I don't know. However there is a special AC adaptor which can be bought from Behringer to fix this problem. The chassis is made of plastic, but I found that all of the Behringer pedals are heavier than I first thought, although I wouldn't be surprised if a huge chunk would crack off if it were dropped, so it needs a little care. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a must have pedal for those having trouble with feedback. I love it, and if it got stolen or broke I would definately buy a new one or at least look for a very similar pedal that had a better energy consumpsion rate. The price that Behringer asks for this pedal is very reasonable, but with the fact that it wastes through batteries I would have thought that the company would have supplied a battery. // 9

NR100 Noise Reducer Reviewed by: sake13211, on january 31, 2012

Purchased from: some guy off of kijiji

Ease of Use: There is really not much to this pedal. There is a switch to change between reduction and mute. There are 2 knobs on it. Thresh and decay. You have a decent amount to play around with. // 7

Sound: I have a Epiphone Les Paul 100 with a 60w amp (unknown brand) and I usually use my DigiTech Metal Master and a few other pedals with this one. I had a little trouble with this pedal because the thresh, as soon as it hits half way, the sound of my other pedals started to change. Especially my metal master, the sound became bland and boring. However the mute works perfectly, it stops all sounds. Another bad thing with this pedal, is even with it on, I'm still getting alot of feedback if I have more than 1 distortion or OD pedal on at the same time. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Of course everyone knows about Behringer pedals. They are not the most reliable pedals out there. Made out of plastic and feel like a toy. Its fine to use at home or maybe if your jamming with some buddies but I would not suggest it if your playing a gig. And if you are, make sure you have an adapter and aren't using batteries because it goes through them quite fast. don't bother buying the official Behringer adapter, because you can get an adapter at a hardware store for alot cheaper. I spent 3 dollars on an adapter that works perfectly. // 4

Overall Impression: I wish I would've been able to test this pedal before buying it because its really not that good of a pedal. Obviously for 10 dollars I can't complain, its a good pedal for someone who really doesn't have much money but when you get more money I would suggest looking into getting a better one. If this were lost or stolen I wouldn't care all that much, its really not all that special and I wouldn't go out and buy another one, I'd save my money to get a good one. Don't be to harsh on my review, its only my second one ever. Cheers! // 4

NR100 Noise Reducer Reviewed by: zealot14, on december 05, 2012

Purchased from: InTune (Manila)

Ease of Use: The NR100 is very easy to use, actually. It has 2 knobs (Tresh and Decay) and a switch for mute and reduction. Obviously it was cloned right after the Boss NS-2 but no complaints here. When I just got this pedal the first time, I just basically connected all of my other pedals by using the IN and Out jacks and plugged that chain directly to the input of the amp. But then I wondered, how does the SEND / RETURN jacks of this pedal work? So I did my research and then I realized they work the same way amps have effects loops. Most guitar players would put their noise gates after all the gain enhancing effects like compressors, overdrives, and distortions. But as recommended by the guitar tech at the store, I should put this at the start of my pedal chain, and so I did. Too bad the manual didn't elaborate on how to optimize the pedal's use of the Send / Return features but what the hell... We have Google for us to find that out anyway. // 8

Sound: At first, by using the basic connections it actually reduced that annoying single coil hum and the ambient noise produced by the other gain enhancing pedals but I figured that this unit could still be optimized so I used its effects loop. I reconfigured how it's supposed to be setup so here goes my settings. I'm using a PB1000 Behringer pedal board and Behringer stompboxes too. So from the basic connection setup, I used the loop this way: Guitar > Pedalboard: In of NR100 > (SEND to Comp+Dist+Filter then RETURN to NR100) > NR100 Out to Chorus+Delay+Reverb > Pedal board Out to In of Amp. Or you if you're using your amp's own effects loop, you could also use this config with your pedals: Guitar > Pedalboard: In of NR100 > (SEND to Comp+Dist+Filter then RETURN to NR100) > NR100 Out to Pedalboard Out > direct to AMP > Amp SEND to Chorus+Delay+Reverb then RETURN to Amp By doing so, the pickup noise and the hiss produced by high gain effects are totally eliminated without muting or dampening the chain's signal and tone effects produced by the other stompboxes. By hooking it up with the amp's effects loop it also makes the modulation effects sound clearer and defined and the sounds blends well you could hear all the effects you want without worrying about unwanted noise. Like I said, the basic setup will reduce as much noise as it could, but by using the NR100's effects loop feature just like how we use the amp, it will totally eliminate the noise and muddy signal. Tweaking the Thresh and Decay knob settings would also help further optimize the noise gate effect and your connection configuration. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's made of plastic. Behringer haters would always say it's cheap and incomparable with a Boss' metal chasis, but it has an advantage, the color won't come off because there's no paint that would chip. Use it near saltwater by the beach, it's just perfect, it's easy to wipe off clean with a cloth without using detergent or stain removers. This is my brand of choice since it's affordable, the surface doesn't corrode or oxidize although of course if you jump on it like a madman it would break for sure. My pedals haven't failed me yet in a gig though, although the feel of the knobs are kinda flimsy. Some are a little loose, some are damn tight but I'm using it without backup, and I'm not worried it would fail, just make sure it stays in the durable pedalboard and by using the right set of power supply unit (9V output). Battery? Don't bother. It will suck the juice dry in less than 6 hours of straight playing. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal and I use Dean and Ibanez axes with high gain pickups set in the bridge position. This pedal actually completes my chain as it's simple feature actually complements the other peds. I own a lot Behringer stompboxes and for now it's my brand of choice because I was convinced by a colleague that it can deliver what it says it does. I have read reviews and did some research and I was sold. Also, price-wise it's cheap, I could easily replace it if it's lost. The price and the quality of tone matches other great brands out there, and my friends are actually convinced. Then most haters and purists would say the brand is crap because it breaks easily or the sound falls short of expectations but I say, it really depends on how you use it. Sure the box would say a lot of good things about the product but it's not really a plug and play device, you really have to do some more tweaking to get the sound you like that's why it came in with knobs and a manual. So I guess, let's not be judgmental about Behringer, though the bad stigma against it is already out there, but Hey, let's give the brand a chance. Just try one out and hear for yourself.

// 9

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014