PB100 Preamp Booster Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 10/28/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: PB100 Preamp Booster
Boost the volume and shape the sound of any instrument, or switch to turbo mode when playing solos. You can boost up piezo pickups to match regular amplifier inputs. Dedicated gain, bass and treble controls are included for effortless sound shaping. For absolutely noise-free operation, a first-class electronic on/off switch is integrated.
 Ease of Use: 9
 7.5
 8.9
 6.1
reviews (3) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
PB100 Preamp Booster Reviewed by: irockonguitar, on february 22, 2006

Purchased from: Dawsons

Ease of Use: This pedal is amazing! This pedal is amazing for the price, I mean if it was a Boss pedal it would cost around 60 pounds! I got this after christmas and it is great fun to play with and gives me the sounds my amp dosn't and can even make it sound like a bass. Like the distortion pedal the manual was very bad. It was just a sheet telling you the basics. // 9

Sound: I use a Squier Strat and a Rocket 10W amp and their crap. The pedal makes them sound good and can get sounds like My Chamical Romance and many other bands. All the controls are very useful and let my guitar sound great, this and me distortion pedal are great toghether. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it to give me the sounds I need for my band and I use this in gigs all the time. It has never let me down and I dont think it will I recomend this to everyone. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of differant styles and this matches everyone of them. I have been playing for a couple of years and when I gig I use a 100W amp and it still doesn't make a buzz. I love about this product that their is nothing to hate about it. // 10

PB100 Preamp Booster Reviewed by: Loudstrat, on january 27, 2014

Price paid: A$ 30

Purchased from: Costal Music Port Macquarie

Ease of Use: It's easy to use. The two tone knobs produce a good variety of tones without strangling the sound of the Marshall. The gain works well as a volume. My only improvement would be to separate the volume and gain boosts. To use this pedal without a volume increase would be difficult. This is a gem of a pedal for the price. The best feature is that it does not in any way wrestle with the tone, clarity or brightness of the amp signal, unlike most well known brads of pedal on the market. I thoroughly recommend it. // 8

Sound: FEATURES - Bass, Treble and Gain (volume) knobs. The Behringer pedal is used to boost the volume during solos. I bought it on sale - a bunch of Behringer pedals were half price, so I took the punt. I had used a number of overdrive pedals to boost olo volume, but the compression effects of the gain prevented any volume boost. This pedal solved the problem. It is the last in the chain of pedals before the amp.

It works beautifully, a nice volume boost which is controlled by the "gain" knob. Boosting the "gain" does increase the overdriven effect, and gives solos an extra touch of grunt and warmth, without going overboard. The bass and treble are good for subtly altering the solo EQ. I have the bass boosted slightly and the treble wound back slightly to take the top end bite out of the signal. The sound is very faithful to the amp tone, has no noise and simply does its job. It works just a well on the clean channel. The extra gain is subtle, and rounds out the sound on the clean channel well. It works great with the single coils on the Strat and doesn't take away from the "quack" at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I didn't often play lie, but have had it in my board for a year. It has withstood the few live gigs I have used it in, and also the many times I have used it at home. I have a heavy stomp, and it doesn't feel brittle under my feet at all. My one issue is the amount of boost is fixed. To get the right amount of boost for high gain songs, I use a setting that provides too much boost with a clean channel. That's not the pedal's fault, but it is a consideration when considering if it is the right thing for you. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues, mainly high gain stuff. I use HSS Stratocasters through a Marshall JCM 900, with a Digitech Overdrive. It a good match for my needs (volume boost). I would also work very well to boost the gain as an alternative to an overdrive. The gain doesn't impede the tone of the amp, and sounds very much like a second tube preamp. I have considered buying a second just to use for this purpose, and replace the overdrive pedal. Ive also consider buying a third just to boost the volume for the clean channels. If you see me playing somewhere with three of these in a row, I'm not going mad! // 9

PB100 Preamp Booster Reviewed by: nuts2that, on october 28, 2014

Purchased from: Internet

Ease of Use: The pedal is easy to use. Manual schmanual... there's three self-explanatory knobs. Although I think I may have had some difficulty finding where the battery goes in. Not that I run it off a battery. As stated before I don't know if this pedal could turn a bad sound into a good sound (although for £20, it's worth a try). But if you've already got a decent sound and you just need a little more gain then the PB100 can definitely deliver. To get the best out of it you just have to sit down and have a fiddle. It doesn't take long to find sweet spots that sound best to your ears. // 10

Sound: For the price, I wasn't expecting much. I bought the pedal on the off chance I could use it as a simple volume boost for the FX loop of my amp (Mesa Dual Rectifier). Used in this manner, the pedal destroyed the tone and quickly ended up being shelved. BUT months later I thought I'd plug it in again for fun This time I used it for it's intended purpose in the preamp (duh, right?). It works rather well. It does what you'd expect... you can knock it on for some extra juice. Pedals like this shouldn't be used as the core of anyone's sound - that's the amplifier's job! But this pedal serves to augment whatever sound you have. I don't know what else to say other than it's a boost... it gives you a boost, it doesn't murder your sound and there's a nice bit of EQ flexibility via the bass and treble knobs. If you get any noise when you're not playing, that's gonna get boosted too, of course but the pedal itself isn't particularly noisy. Exceedingly good for the money, in my opinion! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would gig this pedal. It's a typical design, seems pretty robust but the chassis is plastic rather than metal and the knobs can be wobbled, which you can't do with the knobs on my more expensive pedals. It won't survive armageddon like most FX pedals surely will but then again, neither will I. The on/off switching is excellent and the LED is waaaay brighter than my other pedals. Oh, and the power supply input is on the side, next to the guitar input socket. Personally, I find that annoying because I daisy chain and most power inputs are at the top (where they should be) but that might just be knit-picking. // 5

Overall Impression: I play extreme metal so we're talking high output guitars into a high gain amp. I also use an Ibanez TS-9 and Boss GE-7 EQ pedal in my preamp (and a Boss Noise Suppressor). The gain setting on my amp is quite modest while the TS-9 and GE-7 both give a fairly clean signal boost and a mid-frequency boost. They're usually left on, while the Behringer is kept as a last resort. I never normally need any extra juice it's nice to know it's there if I need it. If I didn't have the other pedals I would certainly be glad of the PB100 and use it all the time to get that extra bite out of my amp. The only reason I favour my other preamp pedals is because I like the mid boost. Besides that, the PB100 can hold it's own with other more expensive boost pedals. // 8

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014