PB100 Preamp Booster Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 01/27/2014 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: PB100 Preamp Booster
Boost the volume and shape the sound of any instrument, or switch to turbo mode when playing solos. You can boost up piezo pickups to match regular amplifier inputs. Dedicated gain, bass and treble controls are included for effortless sound shaping. For absolutely noise-free operation, a first-class electronic on/off switch is integrated.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Ease of Use: 8.5
 7.8
 9.4
 6.1
reviews (2) pictures (2) 6 comments vote for this gear:
PB100 Preamp Booster Reviewed by: irockonguitar, on february 22, 2006

Purchased from: Dawsons

Ease of Use: This pedal is amazing! This pedal is amazing for the price, I mean if it was a Boss pedal it would cost around 60 pounds! I got this after christmas and it is great fun to play with and gives me the sounds my amp dosn't and can even make it sound like a bass. Like the distortion pedal the manual was very bad. It was just a sheet telling you the basics. // 9

Sound: I use a Squier Strat and a Rocket 10W amp and their crap. The pedal makes them sound good and can get sounds like My Chamical Romance and many other bands. All the controls are very useful and let my guitar sound great, this and me distortion pedal are great toghether. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it to give me the sounds I need for my band and I use this in gigs all the time. It has never let me down and I dont think it will I recomend this to everyone. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of differant styles and this matches everyone of them. I have been playing for a couple of years and when I gig I use a 100W amp and it still doesn't make a buzz. I love about this product that their is nothing to hate about it. // 10

PB100 Preamp Booster Reviewed by: Loudstrat, on january 27, 2014

Price paid: A$ 30

Purchased from: Costal Music Port Macquarie

Ease of Use: It's easy to use. The two tone knobs produce a good variety of tones without strangling the sound of the Marshall. The gain works well as a volume. My only improvement would be to separate the volume and gain boosts. To use this pedal without a volume increase would be difficult. This is a gem of a pedal for the price. The best feature is that it does not in any way wrestle with the tone, clarity or brightness of the amp signal, unlike most well known brads of pedal on the market. I thoroughly recommend it. // 8

Sound: FEATURES - Bass, Treble and Gain (volume) knobs. The Behringer pedal is used to boost the volume during solos. I bought it on sale - a bunch of Behringer pedals were half price, so I took the punt. I had used a number of overdrive pedals to boost olo volume, but the compression effects of the gain prevented any volume boost. This pedal solved the problem. It is the last in the chain of pedals before the amp.

It works beautifully, a nice volume boost which is controlled by the "gain" knob. Boosting the "gain" does increase the overdriven effect, and gives solos an extra touch of grunt and warmth, without going overboard. The bass and treble are good for subtly altering the solo EQ. I have the bass boosted slightly and the treble wound back slightly to take the top end bite out of the signal. The sound is very faithful to the amp tone, has no noise and simply does its job. It works just a well on the clean channel. The extra gain is subtle, and rounds out the sound on the clean channel well. It works great with the single coils on the Strat and doesn't take away from the "quack" at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I didn't often play lie, but have had it in my board for a year. It has withstood the few live gigs I have used it in, and also the many times I have used it at home. I have a heavy stomp, and it doesn't feel brittle under my feet at all. My one issue is the amount of boost is fixed. To get the right amount of boost for high gain songs, I use a setting that provides too much boost with a clean channel. That's not the pedal's fault, but it is a consideration when considering if it is the right thing for you. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues, mainly high gain stuff. I use HSS Stratocasters through a Marshall JCM 900, with a Digitech Overdrive. It a good match for my needs (volume boost). I would also work very well to boost the gain as an alternative to an overdrive. The gain doesn't impede the tone of the amp, and sounds very much like a second tube preamp. I have considered buying a second just to use for this purpose, and replace the overdrive pedal. Ive also consider buying a third just to boost the volume for the clean channels. If you see me playing somewhere with three of these in a row, I'm not going mad! // 9

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ UM100 Ultra Metal 7.8 Guitar Effects 09/03/2014