PH9 Phaser Review

6.3
reviews (2) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
PH9 Phaser Reviewed by: Mad-Mike_J83, on may 26, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: This is a pretty meat and potatoes clone of an MXR Phase 90, weather it's a clone of the EVH or some other version I'm not sure, but I'm willing to bet on the EVH version due to the "Swirl" Switch, which seems to smooth out the sound a little more. The rate knob and Swirl Switch are the only two controls, all the Swirl Switch does is a very very very minor reduction in presence of the effect as far as I can tell. You don't even need a manual, which is just a folded up piece of paper anyhow. And of course, being an Analog style pedal, there is no firmware. So this thing is maybe only second to a real Phase 90 in ease of use. // 9

Sound: I use this pedal on many guitars through both a Bugera 333XL Head and a Behringer V-AMP Pro, and on both it sounds ace. It's very transparent aside from the effect, which I really like, and it's true bypass. My only complaint so far is that the footswitch is a little noisy at times, but I think that can be fixed with some pot and Switch cleaner, but it seems the noise goes away when playing so it does not bother me. I'll give it a 8 though, because it does it's job as a phase shifter, does not adversely affect my rig, but does have a noisy Switch, which takes off only one point because it's not affecting anything. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It may be the much maligned Behringer brand, but I don't give a crap what's on the box as long as it does the job and does it well, and always works, of which this pedal does. So kudos to Behringer for making an affordable piece of gear that's solidly built and reliable. I've been using this thing a ton since I got it around Christmas time 08', and it shows no signs of slowing down. I'll give it a 9, because NOTHING is a perfect 10, not even if this was a botique handmade MXR labeled pedal assembled by the Keebler Elves in the kingdom of Phase-shiftery! // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this pedal sound unheard on Amazon when I got a gift certificate from my sister this past Christmas. Up until then, I had been playing in a band and wanting a phaser sound for some things, but just did not feel like forking out a pile of cash for something that is either 30 years old and of questionable wear, or for something with a bunch of dials I'll probably only use once or twice and leave set in the same spot. In particular, I was wanting a pedal capable of that Van-Halen mild swirl heard on the guitar solos, but I'm not spending $125 on someone else's pedal painted in red black and White Stripes, I'd rather just have a generic blue pedal that does the job and will look mine after years of being under my foot. As far as lost/stolen/whatevers, these are so cheap right now I could buy a new one every paycheck and have more replacements than would last me a lifetime. It's an excellent value for the money if you just want a simple phase shifter that does simple phaser things without breaking your bank account. // 9

PH9 Phaser Reviewed by: Woollyfuller, on june 13, 2013

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: Very easy to use pull out of the plastic wrapper and plug it in... A big grump for me was it failed to work in my effects loop, when I switched it on it killed the volume and tone so I had to put in the front chain and it worked ok next to my distortion / Overdrive pedals. This is odd as it is effectively a MOD pedal and should sit ok in the FX loop, so I was slightly irritated. Battery removal requires a screwdriver, but this is no different from most pedal styled this way. No Manual required, a knob and a switch to play with. // 6

Sound: I used it mainly through a Mesa Boogie 2x12 and a modded Telecaster, I also use an old Ibanez RG and a random DeArmond and none seem to like it much. The sound it produces is where is falls over for me. The effect when on is barely heard, it does have the classic whooshy sound you would expect but it is too quiet, the swirl effect is slightly better but you cannot control the timing of it so it sounds out of place when jamming with drums. People compare it to the MXR, but the MXR is a better sounding pedal to my ears. Not great, but for 20 what would you expect. // 3

Reliability & Durability: The casing is metal which is good for the price and similar to the MXR version, so I can't really complain about this. But it does have issues. Firstly and most shockingly the guitar cables seem to be able to push themselves out during use, Imagine half way through a set and your rig stops working and you have no idea why, this happened to me and was embarrassing to say the least, I had to wedge it between two other pedals on my board. The inputs don't have a click when the cables are pushed like on a quality pedal. Secondly the footswitch also lacks the click you feel on other similar pedals and the only way to know if it is on is via the LED, I know its a niggle but it is again another reason to question the build quality. To be fair I can see this lasting a while, but you can sense it has very cheap components inside so I would rely on it anymore. // 3

Overall Impression: I play mainly contemporary rock and metal, lots of riffs and solos. So this isn't the pedal for me. It is dirt cheap and I guess you can see why. I have stopped using it and have reverted to a Boss Phaser which has a lot more settings and you can't go wrong with Boss on reliability. The Behringer is waiting to go to someone starting out and that's where I think pedals like this have their market, young guitarists on tight budgets who want to experiment with effects. This is not a pedal for a serious gigging guitarist. My muso mates looked at it with a bit of distain no one is impressed, which is snobby I know but it is a Behringer and their reputation isn't great. Buy it if you want something as a stop gap or if you a starting out! // 3

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ C-1 Studio Condenser Microphone 5.9 Others 08/20/2014