SF300 Super Fuzz Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 05/27/2013 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: SF300 Super Fuzz
The SF300 effects pedal re-creates the whole variety of famous fuzz tones from the '60s and '70s, keeping the hippie spirit alive and vibrating in your guitar sound.
 Reliability & Durability: 3.8
 Ease of Use: 6.2
 4.8
 4.6
reviews (5) pictures (2) 17 comments vote for this gear:
SF300 Super Fuzz Reviewed by: Gnomestar, on september 18, 2007

Purchased from: Melmusic

Ease of Use: This is a strange little peice of equipment, I bought it because I just wanted a cheap fuzz pedal to much around with and therefore chose Behringer as they usually make half decent stuff without breaking the bank. This pedal is a bit of a disapointment, it's almost imposible to get a nice fuzz sound out of it, infact most of the time it just gives off a weird metalic sound. It has 4 knobs to change teh sound, treble, bass, level and gain, it also has 2 different types of fuzz to choose between or a boost. The manual it came with was mostly in chinese which si weird as Behringer are german, what instructions it gave were minimal, mostly just how to put a battery in it and where to plug leads in. // 4

Sound: I'm using a Yamaha ERG121 and Danelectro 56 Pro plugged into a Fender HotRod Deluxe. The effects are quite strong and can be adjusted to make them weaker or stronegr depending on your preference. The soudns are odd and unreliable, sometimes it will just make a high pitched squeeling sound other times it gives a muddy, or metalic sound very unlike fuzz, the effects are very poor on this pedal and you're not likely to be able to copy any of your favourite artists, although you can come up with your own unique sound, a terrible sound but unique none the less. // 4

Reliability & Durability: It's completely random, That's its major problem, sometimes it gives off ok-ish fuzz but other times it becoems very strange, it you could depend on it to do the same thing everytime than it would be much better, some of the werid sounds it makes are kinda cool but you can't force them to appear. The pedal also has the problem that sometimes you stamp it on then it will refuse to stamp off and you have to actually pull the cables out to shut it up. I would certainly not use this at a gig unless I could get some reliability out of it. // 1

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of rock, I bought a fuzz pedal so I could play music like kyuss, Fu Manchu and The Smashing Pumpkins, aswell as some of my own originals which tend to use fuzz. It's not very good for any of these bands songs, If it were stolen I'd save up and buy somehting mroe expensive that's gives a good quality sound, something like a Fender Blender or even a big muff. I love some of the odd soudns that come out of it but I hate that you can't depend on hem to happen everytime, it's just so damn unreliable! // 2

SF300 Super Fuzz Reviewed by: joesamsnow, on may 30, 2008

Ease of Use: This FX pedal is pretty easy to use, simply push the pedal to turn it on and off. There is a Switch at the top right of the pedal, which switches between 3 modes (Fuzz mode 1, Fuzz mode 2 and Boost). Four knobs control the level, gain, treble and bass power. The manual however is pretty lame. It uses up masses of paper, for about 2 sentences on how to insert the battery in more or less every language. // 7

Sound: I use this pedal with my Cheetah 30w amp, and Stagg EU SURF-TB UK guitar. It gives a good, pure rock sound when set to Fuzz mode 1 or 2. Boost mode simply enhances the volume. This pedal gives quite noisy feedback on the Fuzz modes. When set to a low volume the effects sound pretty poor, but when loud they rock! With this pedal you can get sounds like Aerosmith, especially in their song 'Same Old Song And Dance'. Although this pedal has 3 modes, the fuzz modes sound pretty similar. Mode 1 is louder than mode 2, but mode 2 has more Fuzz. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This FX pedal uses a 9 volt battery, however if using it in a gig, always use the other power function, which in this case is a lead connecting the pedal to a 9V power outlet. If you do use a 9V battery, it can run out pretty quick, and in a gig this is not an option without backup. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock music, so this is an ok, low budget pedal for my style. I have been playing for 3 years, and this is my first pedal since I only got an electric guitar in February 2008, so I don't own any other pedals, however rated to the other ones I've seen, this is a good buy for it's price. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy a different pedal, as I think that more functions would suite me. My favourite feature is the first Fuzz mode, as it can make my playing sound just like one of my favourite bands - Aerosmith, however I wish it had more modes and options to choose. I would recommend this pedal to a beginner Who is just wanting to try out a low costing FX pedal. // 4

SF300 Super Fuzz Reviewed by: sickstring11, on march 19, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: The knobs on this pedal are nice, they have a smooth, even increase/decrease. The three channels (Fuzz 1 is a mid-range fuzz, Fuzz 2 is a bass/trebly fuzz, and boost) make the pedal extremely versatile, and the EQ features treble and bass boost or cut for each. This allows you quite easily fine tune the sound of your fuzz. However, it seems that the overall sound out of each channel changes slightly each time you Switch back and forth. // 7

Sound: I use this pedal through a Blackheart Handsome Devil 15w amp, with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. This pedal definitely works best at lower volumes. If you turn the amp up and keep the level down on the pedal, and you can get a huge variety of tones. However, it seems that the more volume/gain applied, the harder it gets to really dial in clarity and a smooth, rich fuzz. There seem to be about 2 or 3 good tones you can get from the first 2 fuzz channels, depending on your EQ tweaking. I've personally been able to get sounds like Queens of the Stone Age, Jack White, and some Cream and Hendrix. This pedal is sort of a jack-of-all-trades, yet master of none in regards to tonal variety. The boost channel is probably my favorite because, overall, it seems to be the most "predictable" of the 3 channels. It works like a Muff overdrive, adding a subtle fuzzy boost to your driven or clean sound, awesome for Slide work. By far the most enjoyable thing about this pedal is that it induces some really awesome sounding feedback, even at very low volumes on higher gain settings. HOWEVER: This pedal can get very noisy at times to the point where if you're not playing, you better have your volume down. Other times its perfectly clear. It is possible to get some Killer fuzz tones from this pedal, but they're rare and don't expect to be able to find them every time you need them. Just stick with low volumes on this pedal. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very far from reliable. Half the time when you push the pedal down to turn on/off it will just stay on, and you'll have to stomp down again. It is only cased in plastic, and due to the pedal's unpredictable nature at higher volumes, I would never gig with this pedal, practice only. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall, if you use this pedal strictly for bedroom levels/practice this is quite a versatile pedal. The EQ range is great and is a necessity to pull out any good sounds from the often muddied up static that this pedal emits. I don't recommend this pedal to anyone that is looking for a "real" pedal, but I'd say this is a great first fuzz pedal. The cheap price tag is nice, and hey, you get what you pay for here. If you really want a nice sounding fuzz though, save up the extra 40 bucks and just get a Big Muff Pi. // 6

SF300 Super Fuzz Reviewed by: SMTHSCN, on july 26, 2011

Price paid: £ 18.7

Purchased from: Blue Aran (website)

Ease of Use: This pedal is pretty simple to use, 4 knobs, controlling level (volume) gain, and treble and bass boost/cut knobs, and finally the 3 modes: fuzz 1, fuzz 2, and boost. The batter compartment is awkward to get to, as the pedal is on 2 hinges which need to be popped out of place with a pen, and the springs are VERY tough to get off, and subsequently, put back on. The knobs are straight forward, but a little stiff, nothing some strong fingers can't handle though. // 6

Sound: Well, it's a Behringer, and it's clearly a copy of Boss's Hyperfuzz pedal, what with the 2 options of fuzz. I am playing this with an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, along with a crybaby wah, and finally through to a Vox Pathfinder 10, which one would assume is the typical sort of amp a person buying this pedal might have. The sound is hit and miss, I bought this as a cheap fuzz pedal as I like to play hendrix, cream, and general 60's style blues, so a fuzz pedal is nearly essential. I did not expect anyone could screw a pedal up so badly though. I've bought Behringer's tube Overdrive pedal as gifts in the past for others, as they are great, the sound they produce is fantastic, so I expected to get the same suprising quality out of this pedal. I was wrong. Fuzz 1, and Fuzz 2 are both usable, but it is a case of finding the right settings on the pedal and never touching them again. Forget about the gain knob, if that goes higher than 2, the sound is horrendous. Fuzz 1 is quite trebly, and gives a convincing single coil quack out of a humbucker, which is very very surprising, and fuzz 2 is a bit muddier, and has a real ballsy sound which isn't bad either. The frustration comes in that both sounds are limited, there are all these knobs on the pedal, but they are just for show. I am a real tweaker when it comes to my sound, and am always playing with the levels on my amp and the volume and tone knobs on my guitar, and I thought the Super Fuzz would be perfect for me with its gain and terble/bass knobs, but these aren't very functional. If the bass knob is set more than 1/2, the sound is horrendous, and the treble knob seemingly does nothing. The gain knob just fry's the amp speaker, so don't play with it at all. Interestingly, the Switch for the fuzz modes and boost, has a sort of fuzz 1.5 if you can jiggle the Switch in between fuzz 1 and 2, giving you a 3rd sound. Finally, I want to talk about the boost mode. This does nothing in the ways of a fuzz sound, it just makes everything louder, the gain knob does nothing in this mode. I am assuming this mode is for use with a tube amp, or something better than mine, giving you access to the amps Overdrive sound by racking up the volume, which I suppose would be useful, if this pedal weren't designed for practice/home users like myself who aren't likely to own that sort of gear. To conclude the sound: it is acceptable for the price, but you get 2 sounds out of it as soon as the knobs are set, so don't expect to customise your fuzz sound at all. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This is a cheap plastic housing, with a basic circuit board push Switch which is activated by pressing on the pedal. There is no way you can gig this, as if you don't press firmly with your whole foot, it would not be activated as the Switch is located on the left side of the pedal, i.e. if you pressed down on the right side of the pedal, nothing will happen. It does feel fine for home use having said that, and jamming sessions with your friends, I've only had it for a few days, and it feels like it will survive a fair while at home. // 4

Overall Impression: I play blues, 60's rock, some more modern stuff, and my own twist on blues, so a fuzz pedal is ideal, however, in retrospect, I would not reccomend this to others, I would say save up, and get the Boss fuzz, or even the Fuzz Face if you want to break the bank, or alternativley, buy a diy pedal, they're cheaper, and there is a certain reward in building your own pedal. I've been playing for about 6 years on and off, and solidly for the last 2, and this pedal has got nothing on the quality of the crybaby wah, which is quite affordable too. I do wish I'd had the opportunity to test the pedal before buying, but Behringer are one of those brands easily found online, and never in stores. If it were lost, I wouldn't care, and if it were stolen by another muscian, I would laugh at the hell they are going to have trying to get a decent sound out of this. It is possible, but it takes a lot of work. I like that the pedal gets me a fuzz sound on a budget, but I hate that it takes so effin long to tweak all your gear to get it to sound good. A favourite feature of mine is the fuzz 1.5 you can get from leaving the Switch between fuzz 1 and 2. I wish Behringer would stop using plastic and move up to metal, even if it added like 10 to the cost of the pedal, it feels cheap. Ultimately I say this about the pedal: if you are on a budget, and play primarily alone, then go for this, but be warned you will have to spend some time getting it to sound any good, but if you can, wait, and save up for the Boss fuzz, as it is a much better pedal. // 4

SF300 Super Fuzz Reviewed by: Vern1971, on may 27, 2013

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: This pedal has 3 settings and is really easy to use. These are: - Fuzz 1, a trebley kind of sounding fuzz. Quite abrasive and nasty, in a good way. - Fuzz 2, a darker sounding fuzz. I think its an octave down. Also nasty but good, of the two fuzzes available this is my favourite. - Boost. A gain boost. Not really a fuzz effect just boosts your ams volume but also thickens up and enhances your tone. It has a few knobs, level, gain, treble and bass. Its made of thick Orange plastic and the manual that came with it was next to useless, but as its simple to use this didn't really matter a lot. // 7

Sound: I use an Edwards Les Paul copy and an Orange OR15 amp. The amp itself has a good level of distortion but I wanted a cheap fuzz pedal to give me a greater range of sounds. This pedal works really well with my amp. Both of the fuzz settings sound full, fuzzy and quite nasty but surprisingly its the boost setting that I really like. It pushes your amp harder, sort of overdriving it and making the sounds fuller and richer. It gives a much deeper sound to single notes and chords break up with a slightly fuzzy distortion. I bought this pedal for the fuzz but I would recommend it as a fuzzy boost instead. It was cheap, the two fuzzes are strong and sound good and the boost is great. Note. This pedal is a copy (I believe) of a Boss FZ-2. I've never tried one so I can't compare them. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It seems reliable. I've only had it a short while but all the knobs, switches and jacks seem to be in working order. I'm not good enough to gig so I only play at home. If I was I would think that if you didn't actually stamp on it the pedal would hold up to being used on stage but if you wanted to do this I would take a spare just in case. Or get a Boss FZ-2. I also own a Behringer AM400 Acoustic Modeler pedal. Both of these pedals were cheap and sound really good to me. I think people should be a bit more open minded where these pedals are concerned. Just because the are cheap and have plastic casings doesn't mean they are rubbish. Try one out, I did and I'm really happy. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly sludgy doom metal, blues, grunge, punk, indie etc. Mostly doom though which this pedal suits really well. The fuzz 2 setting with bass on full, treble cut right back and max gain gives me a sound very much like Electric Wizard. Particularly from the "Dopethrone" album. The fuzz 1 setting is quite good for playing nasty punk stuff like early Buzzcocks. The boost is a great setting for anything you want but I really like using it to play the blues. I don't think this pedal is suitable for everyone if they are looking for a fuzz with a variety of tonal options. It does nasty punky fuzzy really well, nasty doomy sludge fuzz brilliantly but both of the fuzz effects seem to go from full on fuzz to all out fuzzy mayhem with little variation in between. The boost is more forgiving. It really does alter you tone in a tweakable way going from a mild tone enhancing boost to a thickly overdriven kind of fuzzy sound. So then, it fuzzes well, hard and nasty but it also provides a warm and pleasant boost. If your thinking of getting this pedal don't expect too much variety from the fuzzes but be prepared for the boost which is actually the pedals best feature. // 7

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ X V-AMP 7.1 Guitar Effects 12/19/2014