TO100 Tube Overdrive Review

manufacturer: Behringer date: 09/05/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Behringer: TO100 Tube Overdrive
It will capture all the subtleties of your playing, from silky-smooth overdrive to howling tube sounds.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
 Ease of Use: 7.8
 6.8
 7.1
 6.4
reviews (8) pictures (3) 16 comments vote for this gear:
TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: ironkat, on january 13, 2006

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, simple 3-knob controls to mold your sound. The manual's only a sheet of paper, but then again the pedal isnt very complex. // 7

Sound: This is one of those light crunch tone OD pedals, good if you're playing U2-like stuff, or classic rock. The Overdrive isnt heavy, so if you're looking for a highgain pedal, you're in the wrong place. I also love the way it responds to your playing dynamics, you go hard and it follows. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well I play in my church, and it's survived a few services (and it's still doing well). The body is made of plastic, but it's very durable. I've (accidentally) kicked it around a couple of times and it still works. The knobs come kind of loose though. // 5

Overall Impression: I play a variety of styles of music, from rock to hip-hop and everything in between and metal. I like using this when the electric guitar is more of a rhythm instrument (like the way I play in my church), combined with a delay and some reverb you can imitate The Edge's style of playing. Very cool. // 10

TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2011

Price paid: € 10

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Ease of Use: The TO100 is a pretty basic pedal. You've got 3 knobs (Drive, Tone, Level), a red light to show that its on. You can use it with a battery (but its a bit intricate to open) or a power supply. The power supply access is on the right side, which is kind of weird. Still - very easy to use. Anyways, its hard to get a good sound of it, that you could use in a real live setup. I mostly bought it, because it cost just 10 Euro and I was curious what you would get for this money. Well, the answer is pretty much nothing. // 4

Sound: I tried it in different ways: 1) Just connected to an interface to check out the effect on a real dry guitar signal. It already sounds very fake, very hard compressed and not natural. It sounds like the very early digital guitar modelers you could get for the PC. I know this is not a "real life" usage of an effect pedal, but you can really see what it does to the sound. 2) Connected to an interface in combination with Guitar Rig 4. Sure it's a bit better but still very muddy and undifferentiated. I would never use it for a recording setup. 3) and most important - connected to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Already knowing, that the Overdrive effect isn't any useful, I tried to use it as a booster pedal (other Overdrive pedals are able to reduce the Drive to zero - like some T-Rex pedals). Unfortunately the TO100 always keeps up some distortion and makes the sound less clear. Well... The only thing I can say, that is good about the effect pedal is, that you don't find the white noise, you get almost any other Behringer pedal. that's something. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Its made of hard plastic but it seems tough enough to step on it in a live situation. So I wouldn't be scared that it breaks. The quality really seems fine for a 10 euro pedal. Nevertheless I would never use the pedal in any live or studio situation - so I wouldn't use it without a backup, I wouldn't even use it as a backup. // 4

Overall Impression: I would never recommend the pedal for real live/studio usage. But if you're searching for a nice little cheep pedal to have some fun with or maybe for your children, who have their very first guitar/bass lessons. Why not - 10 Euro really don't hurt anybody. As said before, I bought it mostly because I was curious. I'm playing music semi-professional with about 70-100 gigs a year and therefore you will never find a musician with a TO100 on his pedal board. I'm pretty sure about that. I hope this review helped! Sorry for any language mistakes - I'm from Germany. // 3

TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: sake13211, on january 31, 2012

Purchased from: some guy off of kijiji

Ease of Use: It's a pretty simple pedal to use. It has 3 knobs (drive/tone/level) you can use a battery but its much easier to use a power supply because its annoying to get to where the battery is. // 8

Sound: Alot of people say when it comes to Behringer "you get what you pay for" this is and is not the case for this pedal. Sure it is cheap but you can get a pretty good sound from it, depending on if you're looking for a tube Overdrive with a very high gain, if you are then save your money and go look for another one, but this pedal still has a little kick to it. I combined it with a heavy metal distortion pedal and it gave me a pretty wicked sound! // 7

Reliability & Durability: Like all Behringer stompboxes its plastic and feels like a Toy. But even so, I have other Behringer pedals, and for some reason this one feels more solid, I can't really explain it but it wont just break after a few stomps, I've had it for a while and its still working perfectly. The only thing I don't like about it, is the knobs feel VERY cheap, and when you turn them there is no tension, no resistance like in other pedals, which is another reason many people say its like a toy. // 7

Overall Impression: I think this pedal is a good pedal to have if your having fun or playing gigs, if it were lost or stolen depending on how much money I had I would consider buying it again, it lasted a while for me and has a decent sound, but if I had more money I would probably just buy a better tube Overdrive. // 7

TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: bonzo_lives, on august 18, 2006

Ease of Use: Basic stomp box, very easy to use 3 knobs, level, tone, and drive. Difficult not to understand. The manual is essentially a waste of paper as it's very self explanitory. Also once you have acheicved a decent tone with it, it is very easy to return to that tone, whereas other pedals (in my opinion) take much longer to "reacquire" the tone. // 10

Sound: I use it as a boost pedal as my Carlsbro valve amp has a decent enough cruch sound. The sound it gives is great for searing classic rock lead tone, very smooth and sweet. I use it my cover's band and it just lifts the sound of my guitar to the front of the mix. However if your looking for a metal or other high gain sound this pedal is not for you in my opinion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Although it doesn't feel tough it can stand my boots and I do stamp on my pedals quite aggressively. I would gig with this pedal without a backup as I have never had any problems with. It does, however, go through batterys (9 volt block) quite quickly so I prefer to use the power cable which I bought seperately. // 7

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for classic rock type bands or anyone who lays off the gain but wnats a boost for a solo. If it were stolen I would simply buy annother one as they are so cheap. This pedal works best with a humbucker equiped guitar and a valve amp. If you have a Line 6 Spider or something similar I would not purchase this pedal. // 9

TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: MarcoGE, on november 12, 2007

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Ease of Use: It's easy of use: you've got to press on it, and it's not a little button but the whole bottom of the pedal, so it's easier to press right. The manual is just one page that explains shortly how to put the battery in and show the names of the different parts of the pedal. There are three knobs: level, tone and drive. // 8

Sound: I'm using it with an Orange Crush 30R amp, an Epiphone LesPaul guitar and two Planet Waves 24K cables. And I don't like this pedal. I've got another Behringer one, and it works really good, it's a good rock sound, but here the sound is just bad. It sounds like if your head was under the water. even if you put the tone knob at the maximal value it's still a bit like that. You can't have a little sweet Overdrive sound, if you put the Drive knob at 9AM it's already too much if you're playing blues or even calm rock. // 5

Reliability & Durability: It's a cheap pedal full plastic made, can't beat the competition. Knobs are all loose, plastic works like plastic. I wouldn't use it without backup for sure, because I wouldn't use it in a gig at all, you'll just look ridiculous with your submerged guitar. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock, alternative and Indie and if it worked properly and made a goud sound, it would be cool, but it doesn't. It's too low. A friend's got another Overdrive pedal from Behringer, a TO800, Tube Vintage Overdrive, and the sound was great, that's why I got this one, even if it's cheaper I thought it would sound allright. I think I'll buy it and try with it. So this pedal sounds bad, looks bad (look at the picture you'll understand), chews batteries. The only positive point it's that it costed me 15 bucks so it's not a big loss. // 5

TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2008

Ease of Use: I'm using this through a Line6 Spider II 15 and have to say it took me a while to get a good sound from it. It's not a heavey distrotion pedal but when I play it through the clean channel it get barely any distrotion. That said ith a bit or work it gives really nice classic rock a blues rock tones. The pedal itself is easy to use with only 3 knobs. The manual with it is very simple but of course it is only a distortion pedal. // 8

Sound: I'm using this as I said with a Line6 Spider II 15wt and my guitar is an Epi les paul standard. The pedal does not make any noise when turned off and does not affect my Boss Auto-wah which I put before it. Compared to the DS-1 it is pretty good and sounds like John Frusciante's or kurt cobains are easy to get but the heavey sounds are much harder to get unless it's ran throgh a Drive channel on the amp and using like a boost pedal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: So far the reliability has been good. It's made of plastic which worried me cause I tend to jump on these things but it has been very durable and is able to withsatnd a good kick. I've gigged with it a few times and it works well live. It seems like it will hold out. The only problem is the knobs are quite loose right from the start. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock and indie music but it works for many other styles which I don't aply as much of. A lot of people compare this to the DS-1 but in my opinion it's more like the Boss blues driver only a lot better. I would recommend this pedal. It's usually 20 by the way but I got it in a sale. // 7

TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on december 10, 2008

Purchased from: Local Shop

Ease of Use: Very simple pedal to use. Three control knobs allow you to get tube-like distortion. Drive, tone, and level controls are all outlined in the manual. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure this pedal out even if it is your first stompbox. // 10

Sound: I bought this pedal a couple of years ago when I was playing an Ibanez RG through a small Crate solid state practice amp. It worked fairly well to get crunchy Overdrive sounds out of a solid state amp. It is a fairly versatile pedal, though I don't really use it anymore now that I have a tube amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I used this pedal a couple times Live without a backup before I bought a tube amp and took this pedal out of my pedalboard. Its made from plastic, but its still very durable and should last for some time. If it doesn't, you didn't break the bank buying it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and metal and this pedal worked perfectly for sections that needed to be overdriven, but not super distorted. I've been playing a few years now and this pedal got the most use when I had a solid state amp. Now that I have a couple of tube amps, I don't really use it much anymore. All in all, not a bad pedal, especially for the price. // 10

TO100 Tube Overdrive Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 05, 2012

Purchased from: Music store in Dubai (that would explain the "higher" price)

Ease of Use: The pedal is relatively easy to use, and should only take a few minutes before you get the hang of it. A manual is included with the pedal, however it is not the most extensive and is therefore not of much use. Three knobs: Drive, Level and Tone. The manual explains their basic function, and then it is up to you to simply experiment. It has a power supply which is A LOT more convenient to use than the batteries because it is terribly annoying to open the battery case located in the back due to the tight and cheap screws. // 7

Sound: I have only recently become a bit of a pedal fanatic, and am planning on gradually expanding my selection. I am playing an Epiphone Les Paul 100 through a Randall RX15M. The amp is not great, however the beautiful Big Muff makes up for that. This pedal obviously cannot be compared in terms of sound (or anything else) but it is still a decent sounding pedal. I was looking for a cheap Overdrive pedal that would satisfy my blues sound requirement. Nothing special. I have heard a lot of negative criticism of the pedal, and in my opinion not all of it is justified. Yes, the quality is poor, however sound-wise the pedal is a great deal. I usually play it through a clean channel (since my Overdrive is really mushy) and it gives it a good boost, and bluesy to more rock 'n' roll push. I usually play the Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Black Keys and Nirvana styled stuff with the Big Muff, and use this for the more bluesy stuff or "traditional" stuff I like to play (Eric Clapton, AC/DC etc.) The combination of the pedals is pretty alright as well, and gives the Big Muff an even more distorted sound. Not my cup of tea but sounds good. Obviously this pedal will not satisfy your metal needs, since it isn't made for that. In conclusion, I would say it is a good pedal to have on your board if you are not using it as your primary weapon, but more as something to mess about with. In my case I want to improve my blues playing, and it is helping me in doing so. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The quality is plain and simply bad. I noticed that from the moment I held it in my hand, and the shopkeeper even notified me on that. I said that if I bought the DigiTech Bad Monkey he would give a year's warranty but for this pedal nothing. The knobs have no resistance so it feels like there are going to break. Some are looser than others as well which makes it feel uncomfortable. The pedal is made of plastic which is quite a turn off but I don't care much about aesthetics since it satisfies my sound needs. With my band it has never come in need since we play alternateveish shoegazeish indieish rock. However, I don't see why your wouldn't gig with it. Just don't step on it too hard. // 4

Overall Impression: As mentioned I am more into alternative rock and more of a Hendrix fuzz tone kind of thing. However, this pedal is better suited for the more Eric Clapton, John Mayer styled blues that I also occasionally like to play. It is a good match for that, but if you are someone who is a esteemed blues player then you should look for an upgrade. I walked into the store with the DigiTech Bad Monkey in my hand. I had done a thorough research on various lower budget Overdrive pedals. I was looking at the Marshall Bluesbreaker as well. But just as I was about to Pick up the Big Monkey this thing got my eye. I spoke to the shop owner who at first was pushing me towards the Big Monkey (which costed 85 USD, quite a bit more) but later admitted that sound-wise there is not much difference, however the quality is much cheaper. I chose the Behringer since it was cheaper and I wanted it for simple purposes. Do not regret it. If it were stolen... I would probably upgrade which I think would be the natural thing most people would do in this case. I wish when you lower the tone and the Drive the sound would be smoother and not so fragmented and static. This would make it easier to play some of the more gliding kind of stuff. // 7

More Behringer reviews rating category latest review
+ V-AMP Pro Virtual Amplification 8.5 Guitar Effects 11/10/2014